Author Topic: full sized kits  (Read 1196 times)

Offline Error213

full sized kits
« on: Sat, 01 May 2021, 23:39:45 »
i wanna build my dad a keeb for  fathers day and he needs full sized. media keys would be nice and he would really love a volume knob, also for some reason he doesent want a macropad for media and volume knob.

Offline Faceman76

Re: full sized kits
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 02 May 2021, 01:16:55 »
1800 board and layers for media buttons

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

TKC 1800, Crystal Box Navy, Sprit 100g

Offline Volny

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 02 May 2021, 02:10:43 »
I'd be pretty bummed if someone gave me a keyboard as a present that required me to use layers just to reach the media controls.

If you can't find a kit with media keys and volume knob (probably pretty hard to find - if you do, let us know!), consider remapping prtsc, scrollLock, and Pause to play/pause, volUp, and volDown, with keycaps to suit. Consider also using clicky switches for those keys so they feel more like buttons.

play/pause, volUp, and volDown are likely the most commonly-used media keys - you could then perhaps use layers to convert them to mute/nextTrack/prevTrack if needed. This is of course assuming that he never uses prtsc/scrollLock/pause, but most people's dads probably don't.
« Last Edit: Sun, 02 May 2021, 02:33:14 by Volny »

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 02 May 2021, 02:19:44 »
I'd be pretty bummed if someone gave me a keyboard as a present that required me to use layers just to reach the media controls.
This.

The only ones I can come up with are DAS and Corsair.
The more "hardcore" keyboard companies don't like volume knobs and multimedia keys because of the lack of ready made keycaps so your options are a bit limited. I have no idea how good either is at this point but they fit what you're after.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Error213

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 02 May 2021, 09:44:22 »
This.

The only ones I can come up with are DAS and Corsair.
The more "hardcore" keyboard companies don't like volume knobs and multimedia keys because of the lack of ready made keycaps so your options are a bit limited. I have no idea how good either is at this point but they fit what you're after.

He uses a das but I can’t really mod it without it being more trouble than it’s worth, and they all have these weird laptop stabs except for the space bar so Corsair?

Offline Faceman76

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 02 May 2021, 10:05:15 »

If you can't find a kit with media keys and volume knob (probably pretty hard to find - if you do, let us know!), consider remapping prtsc, scrollLock, and Pause to play/pause, volUp, and volDown, with keycaps to suit. Consider also using clicky switches for those keys so they feel more like buttons.

play/pause, volUp, and volDown are likely the most commonly-used media keys - you could then perhaps use layers to convert them to mute/nextTrack/prevTrack if needed. This is of course assuming that he never uses prtsc/scrollLock/pause, but most people's dads probably don't.
If layers aren't a big no, this may be your only option.  Just make sure he still doesn't use all the keys mentioned above.  With Window shortcuts and the Snip Tool readily available, keys such as  Print Screen are no longer a necessity.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

TKC 1800, Crystal Box Navy, Sprit 100g

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 02 May 2021, 19:42:33 »
He uses a das but I can’t really mod it without it being more trouble than it’s worth, and they all have these weird laptop stabs except for the space bar so Corsair?
Check a few reviews, maybe one of them shows what stabs they're using on the model you're interested in, it's possible they use the same though I doubt it.

I would expect the Corsair to a bit nicer.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion