Author Topic: Marijuana, It's probably Fine..  (Read 45671 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Marijuana, It's probably Fine..
« Reply #150 on: Mon, 01 May 2023, 08:02:30 »

some sort of substance in their downtime

This tears at the fabric of society, because it removes a core level of interdependence

Mankind is a society and individuals have traditionally supported one another, either directly one-to-one, or collectively as a society.

The morbidly wealthy in the US have become willing to allow (if not actually encourage) the collapse of our union just as long as they don't have to contribute any of their money to support it.

You can look at it like that, as if they're evil,  but understand that they are as you say MORBIDLY wealthy,   that is its own form of sickness.  They are a broken people in the same vein as those who they oppress/exploit.

The Kings of Europe, Pharaohs of Egypt all had tremendous medical problems due to their WEALTH.  Lots of paintings of Kings and Rich guys with a swollen diabetic rotting foot (gout) perched on a little pillow.  Records show Pharaohs were sickly, obese, ontop of the problems of being imbred.

All of these problems follow the Distortion that hyperpalatables create in our lives.  Only now, it's pervasive to the middle and lower rungs of society.    We are ALL fat, sick, and dying.

Our abuse of the planet is nearing an end.

India/Pakistan, record temperatures,  wet bulb > 35 , delivery drivers fainting in the street from heat stroke. 1000s upon 1000s of cases now.

This year will be even worse with El NINO, and thus far, record ocean temps.

Offline Pretendo

« Reply #151 on: Mon, 01 May 2023, 10:00:12 »
I genuinely don't know how someone living in the 2020's can go through each week without smoking, drinking, or some sort of substance in their downtime when the news scrolls and dark thoughts are at their loudest.
Are we living on the same planet here? How can you bare to go through this absolute ****show of a time stone cold sober? Something's ****ing wrong with you.

Drug use is heavily interconnected with the stress cycle.  When you are stressed, your brain calculates the Least-Costly action which will relieve stress.

The presence of recreational substances in the world is a Short-Circuit situation.

Instead of improving life, and relieving stress "the long way", life style changes, introspection, education, family connection,   SUBSTANCES makes those things "Temporarily" Obsolete.

You can feel better, absent all the hard work. This tears at the fabric of society, because it removes a core level of interdependence and MONITORING within the collective.

If we don't somehow curtail refined hedonism which encompasses (almost all capitalist products), the planet will end humanity and reboot.

Our opportunity window is only 5 - 15 years at this point, before climate change run-away effect become insurmountable

We are today, right now, currently at the TAIL END of the anthropocene extinction event.   50% of all wide vertebrates died between 1970 and 2014.

Approximately 80% total have already died.   Bees die, Ants die, WE DIE.

YES Tp4 is stressed, but doing best to not purchase any electronics, and work the long game.

I don't think that being straight laced has done much to keep your stress levels in check, based on the world view you're presenting here. If only there were some way for you to step back and unwind for a bit...
IBM Model F-122 6110347 -- September 13th, 1984
IBM Model M 1391404 -- April 14th, 1988
Rosewill RK-9000

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #152 on: Mon, 01 May 2023, 10:18:43 »
I don't think that being straight laced has done much to keep your stress levels in check, based on the world view you're presenting here. If only there were some way for you to step back and unwind for a bit...

Agreed Pretendo, straight laced isn't effectively de-stressing Tp4 personally.

Stepping back and do the analysis, we "are" stressed. Stress isn't for the LACK of numbing-agents. Stress is because as a social collective,  Humanity has gone awry, bringing imminent destruction upon itself.

Instead of working on Ourselves, Our Collective, The Planet, we produce numbing agents to dull the pain.

Tp4 does not know for certain that taking the pain and working the problem is the solution. 

but,   Tp4 is certain that more often than not, the taking of numbing agents in any form (substance or behavioral) is counter-productive.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #153 on: Mon, 01 May 2023, 10:52:41 »
Isn't the whole reason why marijuana was/is so highly criminalised that Nixon or Reagan or some other Republican basically wanted to lock up the part of the public that voted Democrat? (you can't vote in prison) Don't think it had anything to do with actual ill effects of marijuana itself.

At times it feels like my own government is trying to keep the drug mafia here in business by keeping MDMA illegal which is 100% horse****.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline Pretendo

« Reply #154 on: Mon, 01 May 2023, 11:20:49 »
Isn't the whole reason why marijuana was/is so highly criminalised that Nixon or Reagan or some other Republican basically wanted to lock up the part of the public that voted Democrat? (you can't vote in prison) Don't think it had anything to do with actual ill effects of marijuana itself.

At times it feels like my own government is trying to keep the drug mafia here in business by keeping MDMA illegal which is 100% horse****.

Pretty much, yes. See this quote by John Ehrlichman, a white house aide under Nixon and key figure in breaking the Watergate scandal:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Ehrlichman#:~:text=You%20understand%20what%20I'm,we%20could%20disrupt%20those%20communities.

"You understand what I’m saying? We knew we couldn’t make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders, raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did.”

— Dan Baum, Legalize It All: How to win the war on drugs, Harper's Magazine (April 2016)
Rosewill RK-9000

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #155 on: Mon, 01 May 2023, 11:21:23 »

That is partially true, but the number of potential voters behind bars is trivial. The real impetus was to fabricate and stoke a "moral panic"  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moral_panic  and frame "liberals" as the ones who wanted to promote hedonistic "lifestyles" while Republicans were the "Guardians of the Nation" ....

Personally, I am generally willing to accept most behaviors  - as long as -  you do not endanger others, but in the US, with our tremendous "sprawl", driving a car is almost a necessity. And in the wrong hands a moving vehicle is certainly a dangerous weapon.

Intoxicants for recreational use should be available to adults, but driving a car while impared is simply unacceptable.
« Last Edit: Mon, 01 May 2023, 11:23:03 by fohat.digs »
State Freedom Caucus News 2024
Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Offline Pretendo

« Reply #156 on: Mon, 01 May 2023, 11:25:50 »

That is partially true, but the number of potential voters behind bars is trivial. The real impetus was to fabricate and stoke a "moral panic"   and frame "liberals" as the ones who wanted to promote hedonistic "lifestyles" while Republicans were the "Guardians of the Nation" ....

Personally, I am generally willing to accept most behaviors  - as long as -  you do not endanger others, but in the US, with our tremendous "sprawl", driving a car is almost a necessity. And in the wrong hands a moving vehicle is certainly a dangerous weapon.

Intoxicants for recreational use should be available to adults, but driving a car while impared is simply unacceptable.

I agree with this sentiment. Let people live their lives however they want to, as long as they aren't putting other people in danger.

America's car dependence is another matter. IMO way more impactful on things like climate change, stress levels, and tax rates than recreational marijuana use.
Rosewill RK-9000

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #157 on: Mon, 01 May 2023, 11:32:55 »

Intoxicants for recreational use should be available to adults, but driving a car while impaired is simply unacceptable.

There's a debate on this, because At What Point is the action endangering, Others.

There are 4 pillars holding up a bridge.  They can be operating at 50% capacity each and the bridge would not fall. EXCEPT on the day by chance there were too many trucks.

The extra capacity of each pillar is a Necessary Buffer against unforeseen outcomes, which by rules of limited consciousness will always occur, and is always catastrophic.

Every unenlightened/uncontrolled/unplanned diversion weakens the collective.

This isn't to say rules can never be bent or modified, but the collective capacity is always in play.

One extra person worth of man power or Brain-Power might be the difference between a power plant exploding.

In the case of most Recreational Substances, it is similar to leaving Performance on the table or Squandering it.

There should be a way of medicating <recreation-ally> that produces minimal harm. but such a system would require quite alot of engineering, and it's empirically true that for the majority of humans, Self-Monitoring/Control is inadequate.  Proof- Kensington Philadelphia

Offline Pretendo

« Reply #158 on: Mon, 01 May 2023, 11:59:36 »

Intoxicants for recreational use should be available to adults, but driving a car while impaired is simply unacceptable.

There's a debate on this, because At What Point is the action endangering, Others.

There are 4 pillars holding up a bridge.  They can be operating at 50% capacity each and the bridge would not fall. EXCEPT on the day by chance there were too many trucks.

The extra capacity of each pillar is a Necessary Buffer against unforeseen outcomes, which by rules of limited consciousness will always occur, and is always catastrophic.

Every unenlightened/uncontrolled/unplanned diversion weakens the collective.

This isn't to say rules can never be bent or modified, but the collective capacity is always in play.

One extra person worth of man power or Brain-Power might be the difference between a power plant exploding.

In the case of most Recreational Substances, it is similar to leaving Performance on the table or Squandering it.

There should be a way of medicating <recreation-ally> that produces minimal harm. but such a system would require quite alot of engineering, and it's empirically true that for the majority of humans, Self-Monitoring/Control is inadequate.  Proof- Kensington Philadelphia

The alternative is to waste tax dollars and public resources enforcing laws against every personal habit that doesn't "help the collective", which is, IMO, way more harmful than just allowing people to govern their own personal habits.

For me the line gets drawn at physical harm. If you're holding back your family's personal finances due to a drug habit, that's a personal problem. We should offer programs for assistance if you're seeking help getting out of that situation, but the consequences should purely be societal. That is, if you refuse to help yourself and address the issue, you'll suffer natural consequences.

If you get behind the wheel of a car drunk/high and start drive erratically, then you're an immediate threat to people's safety. You don't get to have a license anymore until you've proven that the behavior is corrected. If you do it again anyway, over and over, you're a threat to public safety and may need to be institutionalized until the behavior is corrected.

My view on America's prison system goes way beyond the scope of this thread.
Rosewill RK-9000

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #159 on: Tue, 02 May 2023, 03:28:55 »

I think the US could've worked with public transport as well which is considerably less polluting but that's another matter. In any case, I want to stress that if you haven't done MDMA yet, you may think it different from what it actually does. Definitely don't drive with it on by any means, but it doesn't make you feel "drunk" or anything, in fact you're extremely lucid.

That said, I think it should be a cultural faux pas to drive under the influence of anything really. So if you want to do drugs, make sure you don't have to drive back.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline Pretendo

« Reply #160 on: Wed, 03 May 2023, 12:50:22 »

I think the US could've worked with public transport as well which is considerably less polluting but that's another matter. In any case, I want to stress that if you haven't done MDMA yet, you may think it different from what it actually does. Definitely don't drive with it on by any means, but it doesn't make you feel "drunk" or anything, in fact you're extremely lucid.

That said, I think it should be a cultural faux pas to drive under the influence of anything really. So if you want to do drugs, make sure you don't have to drive back.

It could've worked better, and it did work better until the "urban renewal" projects of the 1940s-60s. My conspiracy theory is that these were a purposeful move to gut urban cores and spread out the population due to the Cold War paranoia about nuclear bombs. Government incentives couldn't have done a better job at ruining dense urban areas in the US if they tried, and they even had the knock on effect of disproportionately impacting minorities...

...but that's a whole different sore spot topic.
Rosewill RK-9000

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #161 on: Wed, 03 May 2023, 13:23:01 »

gut urban cores and spread out the population

"Urban renewal" was not a cause but a reaction. After WW2 an average car cost half an average employee's annual wages and an average house cost twice a year's pay.
Gasoline cost about $0.25 per gallon and cars allowed easy and cheap commutes to work, so why buy a small house on a quarter acre lot in the city when you could have a house and yard twice as large (or more) for the same price - in exchange for a 10 mile commute to work? The majority of people who could gladly opted for the green grass and fresh air.

Remember that the interstate system was Eisenhower's dream project and as the new highways passed through cities they were obviously going to be routed through the poorest areas closest to the center of town.

Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #162 on: Wed, 03 May 2023, 13:29:35 »
That 10 mile commute is my limit to where I work - I tend to find jobs w/in a 10 mile radius from my home mainly because I want to be able to respond to anything that might come up for my family.  I have worked where I had a 80 mile round trip commute and if something happened I would be at a disadvantage to getting home or that side of town in a timely manner, but at that time that was where the work was.  Now I am looking more into how I could work from home or even closer to home to cut on more expenses etc.

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #163 on: Wed, 01 November 2023, 05:46:55 »

gut urban cores and spread out the population

"Urban renewal" was not a cause but a reaction. After WW2 an average car cost half an average employee's annual wages and an average house cost twice a year's pay.
Gasoline cost about $0.25 per gallon and cars allowed easy and cheap commutes to work, so why buy a small house on a quarter acre lot in the city when you could have a house and yard twice as large (or more) for the same price - in exchange for a 10 mile commute to work? The majority of people who could gladly opted for the green grass and fresh air.

Remember that the interstate system was Eisenhower's dream project and as the new highways passed through cities they were obviously going to be routed through the poorest areas closest to the center of town.

This sounds great, but depends on country you are in. I would love to get a bigger house outside of Glasgow (UK), but here on this bloody island everything is so expensive, land costs more than gold ;)
We are planning to move out to smaller town near Glasgow, where prices are lower, but still, terrible house size and quality to price ratio.
For 300k GBP in town area (smallish 3 bedroom house), you can get a huge estate in any other european country.
« Last Edit: Wed, 01 November 2023, 10:50:34 by phinix »
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline mohawk1367

• Typing on: HHKB Pro Hybrid Type-S
« Reply #164 on: Wed, 01 November 2023, 07:09:24 »

in places like NYC its basically a necessity unless you wanna take 3 hrs to get anywhere, walking or taking the train is the norm since everything is so close and compact.

then in a city like mine (used to have a metro back in the day, before i was born even) where everything is so far that u will not survive without a car
someone needs to make an aussie keyboard community called QMƎɹ┴⅄. get it? haha :D

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #165 on: Wed, 01 November 2023, 18:01:47 »

in places like NYC its basically a necessity unless you wanna take 3 hrs to get anywhere, walking or taking the train is the norm since everything is so close and compact.

then in a city like mine (used to have a metro back in the day, before i was born even) where everything is so far that u will not survive without a car

People who own cars in NYC have something wrong with their brains. Many will spend upwards of an hour each week just sitting in their car outside their abode so they can minimally move it for the street sweeper and get their spot back. They don't drive anywhere, or otherwise ever use their car. They just want that particular parking spot forever. Legit brain disease.

If you are living in NYC you can afford to rent a car for the weekend, or when you need one. You don't need to perpetually save a space for a vehicle you only use half a dozen times a year! Idiots.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #166 on: Wed, 01 November 2023, 18:14:52 »
People who own cars in NYC have something wrong with their brains. Many will spend upwards of an hour each week just sitting in their car outside their abode so they can minimally move it for the street sweeper and get their spot back. They don't drive anywhere, or otherwise ever use their car. They just want that particular parking spot forever. Legit brain disease.

If you are living in NYC you can afford to rent a car for the weekend, or when you need one. You don't need to perpetually save a space for a vehicle you only use half a dozen times a year! Idiots.

It's pretty cray cray,  pretty sure this is a simulation. Tp4 is probably almost certainly an NPC.

Offline mohawk1367

« Reply #167 on: Thu, 02 November 2023, 06:47:32 »

this is part of the reason i wanna live in NYC lol. when i visited recently it was pretty much necessary to walk everywhere but i actually liked that. it felt like i got to engage more with the city (and the less graceful parts) and the best part is that i got exercise and i actually felt really good and energized when i was there.
someone needs to make an aussie keyboard community called QMƎɹ┴⅄. get it? haha :D

Offline Rhienfo

• Why is everything I want here so expensive :(
« Reply #168 on: Thu, 02 November 2023, 18:13:02 »
this is part of the reason i wanna live in NYC lol. when i visited recently it was pretty much necessary to walk everywhere but i actually liked that. it felt like i got to engage more with the city (and the less graceful parts) and the best part is that i got exercise and i actually felt really good and energized when i was there.

I feel the same way when it comes to the CBD of melbourne, definitely way better than the suburb I live in, which really has no amenities for someone like me. It basically requires a car to get to essential places like a doctors office or supermarket and I can't drive.

For Uni I may move up near the city, which would be great for me, hope that happens.

Offline mohawk1367

« Reply #169 on: Fri, 03 November 2023, 06:47:00 »

I feel the same way when it comes to the CBD of melbourne, definitely way better than the suburb I live in, which really has no amenities for someone like me. It basically requires a car to get to essential places like a doctors office or supermarket and I can't drive.

For Uni I may move up near the city, which would be great for me, hope that happens.

i did really miss having like... grass and trees, though. like i saw many people walking dogs and was just thinking "Where the hell do these dogs do their business??? There's no grass..." no squirrels, no foxes, no deer. it is a bit depressing

Offline Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #170 on: Fri, 03 November 2023, 15:47:23 »

Henry Anslinger https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_J._Anslinger is jagoff you're thinking of. In the 30's he spearheaded the prohibition of marijuana to improve his clout in the US govt. As I understand it he saw the prohibition of weed as a great way to go after Mexicans. Similar to the racist rhetoric used to prohibit cocaine (black men using it, then raping white women & commiting crimes) he positited the same ideal on weed with Mexican men. Then pushed it super hard & had it added to some bill that originally had nothing to do with prohibiting marijuana. As to what you stated I believe that was just a rumor (well technically a rumor as it is pretty well accepted that there was more than just a tinge of racism in Nixon starting the war on drugs & Nancy Regan pushing the just say no movement. However we will never know for sure what was said in the creations of either behind closed doors). Basically all the drug laws in the US are from deep seated racism, hence why even something as benign as weed is so highly criminalized. We really do need to rewrite them or just drop them altogether as I stated earlier in this thread.
« Last Edit: Fri, 03 November 2023, 15:49:38 by Rob27shred »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #171 on: Fri, 03 November 2023, 16:34:43 »

drug laws in the US are from deep seated racism

What happened in the 1960s was drived from what happened in the 1930s, but Nixon's personal demons were coming out strong.
https://eji.org/news/nixon-war-on-drugs-designed-to-criminalize-black-people/

TL:DR -
"by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and Blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities"
« Last Edit: Fri, 03 November 2023, 16:36:15 by fohat.digs »

Offline Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #172 on: Fri, 03 November 2023, 17:18:58 »

drug laws in the US are from deep seated racism

What happened in the 1960s was drived from what happened in the 1930s, but Nixon's personal demons were coming out strong.
https://eji.org/news/nixon-war-on-drugs-designed-to-criminalize-black-people/

TL:DR -
"by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and Blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities"

Great link, thanks!
"After President Richard Nixon declared a “war on drugs” in 1971, the number of people incarcerated in American jails and prisons escalated from 300,000 to 2.3 million. Half of those in federal prison are incarcerated for a drug offense, and two-thirds of those in prison for drug offenses are people of color. Disproportionate arrest, conviction, and sentencing rates for drug offenses have devastated communities of color in America."
 :eek: Goddamn, I knew the war on drugs massively inflated the prison population but had no ideal that was the approx. numbers!

Offline ergonaut

« Reply #173 on: Fri, 22 March 2024, 10:17:51 »
But I'm afraid neither UK nor EU will legalize it until it is fully legal on a federal level in the US. None of our spineless politicians would want to risk their careers going against Uncle Sam.

Maybe I'm just about to eat my words...

Apparently, the soon-to-be German government coalition is kinda serious about legalizing it. They're still pretty vague about everything, but this is probably the closest Germany has been to legalization ever since it was criminalized in the first place.

I'm cautiously optimistic.

They took their sweet time, but they did it! From April 1st, German citizens are allowed to:

- own 50g of dried buds
- carry 25g
- consume at home
- consume in public as long as there is no school/kindergarten or such nearby
- grow up to 3 plants at home

So it's not a full legalization, but a big step towards freedom.

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #174 on: Sun, 24 March 2024, 14:52:52 »
But I'm afraid neither UK nor EU will legalize it until it is fully legal on a federal level in the US. None of our spineless politicians would want to risk their careers going against Uncle Sam.

Maybe I'm just about to eat my words...

Apparently, the soon-to-be German government coalition is kinda serious about legalizing it. They're still pretty vague about everything, but this is probably the closest Germany has been to legalization ever since it was criminalized in the first place.

I'm cautiously optimistic.

They took their sweet time, but they did it! From April 1st, German citizens are allowed to:

- own 50g of dried buds
- carry 25g
- consume at home
- consume in public as long as there is no school/kindergarten or such nearby
- grow up to 3 plants at home

So it's not a full legalization, but a big step towards freedom.

Bavaria... here I come ;)
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::