Author Topic: How to alter DXF files and measure plates for noobs  (Read 1617 times)

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
How to alter DXF files and measure plates for noobs
« on: Wed, 20 August 2014, 09:27:57 »
Hello Folks

I am on the verge of getting a plate custom-cut locally.

I have gotten a .dxf courtesy of JDCarpe (thanks!  :thumb: )

Now I have a few questions for you experienced modders and CADdys out there.

XXX

Firstly, I have zero experience in CAD or any form of engineering and engineering software.

Secondly, I want to get some custom switch moddable plates cut. These are for keyboards as diverse as Deck Legend 105, Cherry G80-1950, Access-IS, TG3 BL82 and other custom designs that I'll hand wire. So joining any group buy is out of the question. I can take JDCarpe's file as a starter but ultimately I'll need to do a lot of my own work. For instance, one of my Filcos has a split left shift and another has a split right shift, but his file seems to have both shifts unified, so I cannot get a plate cut until I alter at least one of the shifts in JD's original file.

However, the good thing is my ambitions are fairly modest. In the long run the most I'll ever seek to build is maybe a custom-cut keyboard casing. So I don't need to get started on any powerful CAD softwares with steep learning curves.

May I ask you to share your experiences? What's a good software to meet my fairly modest aims and even more modest abilities?

And what about the practicalities of measuring for plates? For instance, none of the vernier calipers that I can buy easily are suited for measuring screw holes, for the simple reason that none of them have attachments or legs that will easily fit into the holes. Likewise, the external dimensions of plates are all too big for vernier calipers. Since I never went to engineering class I don't know all the basics on how people measure these things.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline qwack

Re: How to alter DXF files and measure plates for noobs
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 20 August 2014, 11:39:23 »
After trying several things (including DraftSight and the demo version of AutoCAD, as recommended by many), I finally found a simple way to design plates with QCAD. Its is actually quite simple, as shown here: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=40567.msg1439453#msg1439453

If you want to experiment with plates, start with the plate_components.dwg file in the GH CAD Resources thread; pick what you need to assemble your layout (use the snap function to align switches easily), remove the outlines around the cutouts, add an outline around the whole board and that's it.

Pure Pro w/MX Red - [review]

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 20 August 2014, 11:45:13 »
Awesome!

Don't know how I missed these wonderful resources. I think when I started my geekhack membership I was simply too intimidated whenever I saw the word CAD, and always filtered it out immediately without bothering to read the thread further! So anytime someone talked about a CAD resource or modding with CAD, I didn't read further and erased it from my mind right away.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 20 August 2014, 20:40:10 »
QCAD for plates, KiCAD for PCBs.  Only built a couple designs for plates myself - still need to learn how to use KiCAD better.
  Quoting me causes a posting error that you need to ignore.