Author Topic: Adesso AKP-220B Review  (Read 7969 times)

Offline boredgunner

• GND-Tech
Adesso AKP-220B Review
« on: Mon, 12 March 2012, 19:33:30 »
Last month I reviewed the Cooler Master Storm QuickFire Rapid, a keyboard designed for the gaming enthusiast.  Now we're switching gears a bit with the Adesso AKP-220B - a mechanical 22-key pad.  This keypad uses a different type of mechanical switch and is a new experience for me.  It is also one of the only affordable mechanical keypads, setting me back a mere $32.  So lets see if it's a true bargain.

Closer Look[/u]

The Adesso AKP-220B arrived one day early in standard packaging, listing all of the features and what not.  Why they never clarified which mechanical switch it uses is beyond me.  Some of the pictures show what looks like a Cherry MX Blue switch, but there is no direct indication.

Opening the box reveals another one, with a basic users guide telling you when and how to plug it into your PC, and other simple things.

The keypad came in a clear plastic bag underneath the manual.  Yes, I realized my mouse was quite dirty.  I cleaned it afterwards, don't worry.

A PS/2 adapter was pre-installed over a USB cable.  PS/2 gives you NKRO capability - meaning you can press any amount of keys simultaneously and they'll all be registered.  USB mode will give you 3KRO not counting specialty keys like CTRL.  PS/2 is also interrupt based, and doesn't use polling. The cable is of standard quality - no notable braided sleeving like my QuickFire Rapid.  Sadly the cable isn't detachable either, as expected.

Before I got to work, I grabbed my keypuller and removed a key.  Yep, those are Cherry MX Blue switches.  The pictures did not lie.

Here's a general look of the keypad.  It feels quite ordinary, not packing extra heft or durability.  The surface is textured as are the keycaps.  The font is also ordinary, which is quite nice.  Not everyone likes unique fonts like the one on my QuickFire Rapid.  The keycaps are probably ABS, as they don't feel any better or worse than the ABS keycaps I already own.  All number keys are present, as well as enter and other arithmetic assignments, shift, tab, backspace, print screen, numlock, Esc, and a green light indicator telling you whether or not numlock is activated (off means it's activated).  Turning on numlock causes the secondary function of the keys to work instead - such as home, up/down/left/right, pageup, pagedown, and End.

The back has two rubber feet plus two folding stands.

So this is my first experience with Cherry MX Blue switches.  To be honest, they feel exactly as expected.  Activation force is 50g - only 5g higher than Cherry MX Reds which my keyboard uses, therefore activating them requires less force than standard rubber domes.  Blue switches are clearly designed for typing, and in my opinion, they're easily the best typing switches out there.  It's hard to ask for more - they have a noticeable tactile feel with a click telling you that the key was registered.  The tactile bump/click occur about half way down.  Combined with the light activation force, you can really just give the keys a quick, light press and move onto another key.  They aren't that loud either - when bottoming out they are pretty much the same noise level as Cherry MX Red switches.  You just can't be quiet with them due to the audible click. I'm sure it isn't as "manly" as buckling springs, but I don't see any room for improvement on a typing switch.

I think that's it for this section.  I have rather mixed feelings for this keypad.  Move onto the next page for more...

Conclusion[/u]

I know what you're thinking.  Conclusion already?  That's correct - there's not much more I can say for a keypad.  It does what it's supposed to - it has extra keys, including a numpad as well as others.  I do like the Cherry MX Blue switches a lot, and I can't imagine a better switch for typing.  They'll do just fine for gaming as well, even though a tactile feel may not be desired for such purposes.  The build quality of the AKP-220B could be improved I suppose, although I guess I expected this out of a keypad that costs considerably less than most of its competition.  Time for the scoring... 5 is the highest score in the subcategories as usual.  

[*]Appearance[/u]: It looks like a keypad.  No fancy designs or font anywhere.  There is one logo on it, on the top left to be precise.  No backlight of course.  I'll just give it the same score I gave to my QuickFire Rapid in this subcategory.  4.75/5
    [*]Construction[/u]: The AKP-220B is quite light and has little flex to it.  It feels very generic, and I would have liked to see a bit more out of a mechanical keypad.  A detachable cable would have been nice as well, for the sake of portability.  3.75/5
    [*]Performance[/u]: It's hard to evaluate performance on a numpad.  There are no typing tests for it, so I'll just judge it by the switches I guess - Cherry MX Blues.  I can't imagine a better one for typing.  Light actuation force plus tactile feel = rapid typing.  5/5
    [*]Functionality[/u]: It's a numpad with a few extra keys.  None of them are programmable since it isn't an overpriced "gaming keypad".  It does what it's supposed to do.  5/5
    [*]Value[/u]: The Adesso AKP-220B can be found for a little over $30 in most places.  You can get a full rubber dome keyboard for less, but on the other hand it costs less than most mechanical keypads.  I'll go with a 3/5 here.  
    [*]Overall[/u]: 86/100
    [/list]
    Ducky Shine II TKL (Green LED, Cherry MX Red) | Leopold FC210TP (Cherry MX Blue)

Offline boredgunner

• GND-Tech
    Adesso AKP-220B Review
    « Reply #1 on: Mon, 12 March 2012, 21:10:54 »
    Quote from: ripster;543892
    Uh, did you actually check NKRO?

That doesn't sound right.   If it's NKRO in PS/2 it's at least 6KRO in USB.

And can you plug it in with a fullsize keyboard simultaneously.  Does Numlock need to be turned on for the numpad to work or does the NumLock Light flash each time you send a number?  That or try picking up the scancode.

This is important for laptop users  and Tenkeyless keyboards with embedded numpads.

In USB mode only a max of 3 keys are registered at once.  In PS/2 mode all of the keys I can press are all registered at once.  It can be plugged in with a fullsize keyboard simultaneously (I wouldn't see its value if it couldn't).  I can't speak for numlock, since my fullsize keyboard is tenkeyless and doesn't have a numlock.  I got rid of my rubber dome keyboard.
    Ducky Shine II TKL (Green LED, Cherry MX Red) | Leopold FC210TP (Cherry MX Blue)

Offline notnay

Adesso AKP-220B Review
    « Reply #2 on: Tue, 13 March 2012, 00:49:19 »
    I always found the concept of purchasing a numpad separately to be a bit weird.

For some reason though it does look a bit more sexy just chilling by itself like that....

Offline Grimey

Adesso AKP-220B Review
    « Reply #3 on: Sat, 19 May 2012, 01:21:16 »
    Out of curiosity is this plate mounted or PCB mounted switches?
    Erlang your pants off

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
    • * Elevated Elder
    • Keyboard is Lava!
    Adesso AKP-220B Review
    « Reply #4 on: Thu, 31 May 2012, 02:48:41 »
    Because of it's light weight I guess it's pcb mounted.
    |||Daily driver: Duck Orion TKL
    |||My other keyboards :
    More
    |||The Original|Home|Work|Numpad|Play|Endgame|Keycaps
    x
    |Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets
    |Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline nevin

Re: Adesso AKP-220B Review
    « Reply #5 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 21:20:39 »
    Quote from: ripster;543892
    Uh, did you actually check NKRO?

That doesn't sound right.   If it's NKRO in PS/2 it's at least 6KRO in USB.

And can you plug it in with a fullsize keyboard simultaneously.  Does Numlock need to be turned on for the numpad to work or does the NumLock Light flash each time you send a number?  That or try picking up the scancode.

This is important for laptop users  and Tenkeyless keyboards with embedded numpads.

In USB mode only a max of 3 keys are registered at once.  In PS/2 mode all of the keys I can press are all registered at once.  It can be plugged in with a fullsize keyboard simultaneously (I wouldn't see its value if it couldn't).  I can't speak for numlock, since my fullsize keyboard is tenkeyless and doesn't have a numlock.  I got rid of my rubber dome keyboard.

so if it's only registering 3-keys over usb it should be mac compatible? at least that's what i've read.... mac compatibility issues with NKRO.
    i've been looking at the adesso but wanted to make sure would work w/usb mac.
    Keeb.io Viterbi, Apple m0110, Apple m0120, Apple m0110a, Apple 658-4081, Apple M1242, Apple AEK II, MK96, GH60/Pure, Cherry g84-4100, Adesso AKP-220B, Magicforce 68

Offline nevin

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 08 December 2012, 16:38:31 »
    FYI. i found the info i was looking for in another thread.
    related thread: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=17814.0
    Keeb.io Viterbi, Apple m0110, Apple m0120, Apple m0110a, Apple 658-4081, Apple M1242, Apple AEK II, MK96, GH60/Pure, Cherry g84-4100, Adesso AKP-220B, Magicforce 68

Offline kbfreak

• * Commercial Vendor
    « Reply #7 on: Mon, 24 December 2012, 19:32:20 »
    Last month I reviewed the Cooler Master Storm QuickFire Rapid, a keyboard designed for the gaming enthusiast.  Now we're switching gears a bit with the Adesso AKP-220B - a mechanical 22-key pad.  This keypad uses a different type of mechanical switch and is a new experience for me.  It is also one of the only affordable mechanical keypads, setting me back a mere $32.  So lets see if it's a true bargain.

Closer Look[/u]

The Adesso AKP-220B arrived one day early in standard packaging, listing all of the features and what not.  Why they never clarified which mechanical switch it uses is beyond me.  Some of the pictures show what looks like a Cherry MX Blue switch, but there is no direct indication.

Show Image

Show Image

Opening the box reveals another one, with a basic users guide telling you when and how to plug it into your PC, and other simple things.
    Show Image

The keypad came in a clear plastic bag underneath the manual.  Yes, I realized my mouse was quite dirty.  I cleaned it afterwards, don't worry.
    Show Image

A PS/2 adapter was pre-installed over a USB cable.  PS/2 gives you NKRO capability - meaning you can press any amount of keys simultaneously and they'll all be registered.  USB mode will give you 3KRO not counting specialty keys like CTRL.  PS/2 is also interrupt based, and doesn't use polling. The cable is of standard quality - no notable braided sleeving like my QuickFire Rapid.  Sadly the cable isn't detachable either, as expected.
    Show Image

Before I got to work, I grabbed my keypuller and removed a key.  Yep, those are Cherry MX Blue switches.  The pictures did not lie.
    Show Image

Here's a general look of the keypad.  It feels quite ordinary, not packing extra heft or durability.  The surface is textured as are the keycaps.  The font is also ordinary, which is quite nice.  Not everyone likes unique fonts like the one on my QuickFire Rapid.  The keycaps are probably ABS, as they don't feel any better or worse than the ABS keycaps I already own.  All number keys are present, as well as enter and other arithmetic assignments, shift, tab, backspace, print screen, numlock, Esc, and a green light indicator telling you whether or not numlock is activated (off means it's activated).  Turning on numlock causes the secondary function of the keys to work instead - such as home, up/down/left/right, pageup, pagedown, and End.
    Show Image

The back has two rubber feet plus two folding stands.
    Show Image

So this is my first experience with Cherry MX Blue switches.  To be honest, they feel exactly as expected.  Activation force is 50g - only 5g higher than Cherry MX Reds which my keyboard uses, therefore activating them requires less force than standard rubber domes.  Blue switches are clearly designed for typing, and in my opinion, they're easily the best typing switches out there.  It's hard to ask for more - they have a noticeable tactile feel with a click telling you that the key was registered.  The tactile bump/click occur about half way down.  Combined with the light activation force, you can really just give the keys a quick, light press and move onto another key.  They aren't that loud either - when bottoming out they are pretty much the same noise level as Cherry MX Red switches.  You just can't be quiet with them due to the audible click. I'm sure it isn't as "manly" as buckling springs, but I don't see any room for improvement on a typing switch.
    Show Image

I think that's it for this section.  I have rather mixed feelings for this keypad.  Move onto the next page for more...

Conclusion[/u]

I know what you're thinking.  Conclusion already?  That's correct - there's not much more I can say for a keypad.  It does what it's supposed to - it has extra keys, including a numpad as well as others.  I do like the Cherry MX Blue switches a lot, and I can't imagine a better switch for typing.  They'll do just fine for gaming as well, even though a tactile feel may not be desired for such purposes.  The build quality of the AKP-220B could be improved I suppose, although I guess I expected this out of a keypad that costs considerably less than most of its competition.  Time for the scoring... 5 is the highest score in the subcategories as usual. 

• Appearance[/u]: It looks like a keypad.  No fancy designs or font anywhere.  There is one logo on it, on the top left to be precise.  No backlight of course.  I'll just give it the same score I gave to my QuickFire Rapid in this subcategory.  4.75/5
    • Construction[/u]: The AKP-220B is quite light and has little flex to it.  It feels very generic, and I would have liked to see a bit more out of a mechanical keypad.  A detachable cable would have been nice as well, for the sake of portability.  3.75/5
    • Performance[/u]: It's hard to evaluate performance on a numpad.  There are no typing tests for it, so I'll just judge it by the switches I guess - Cherry MX Blues.  I can't imagine a better one for typing.  Light actuation force plus tactile feel = rapid typing.  5/5
    • Functionality[/u]: It's a numpad with a few extra keys.  None of them are programmable since it isn't an overpriced "gaming keypad".  It does what it's supposed to do.  5/5
    • Value[/u]: The Adesso AKP-220B can be found for a little over $30 in most places.  You can get a full rubber dome keyboard for less, but on the other hand it costs less than most mechanical keypads.  I'll go with a 3/5 here. 
    • Overall[/u]: 86/100

Looks good for what it is, but I can't see myself getting a separate number pad--either be happy with a full sized keyboard or get used to a compact tenkeyless and not worry about having a number pad!