Author Topic: Matias QuietPro (full-size) review and comparison to Topre 45g  (Read 6222 times)

Offline macguy80

Disclaimer: While I have used a great variety of keyswitches over the years, I'm not the best with the related technical terms. As such, this review will be based solely on my own subjective personal observations. I am not affiliated, other than as a highly satisfied customer.

I ordered and received a full-size Quiet Pro. In my opinion, it lives up to its name. It is definitely the quietest of Alps switches. I am a longtime user of the Apple Extended Keyboard II, and that would be the Quiet Pro's closest relative. No, it's not silent, but then, what fun would it be to type on a totally silent keyboard? I'm certainly not complaining. The switches are undeniably tactile. They have a pleasant weight. I can rest my fingers on them without fear of unintentionally pressing a key, and yet I can type for prolonged periods without tiring. My accuracy is greatly increased, compared to my previous board, a Topre Realforce 45g uniform board.

How does it compare? I must start by saying this: I got my Realforce in July, and have used it exclusively until the arrival of the QuietPro. With the Topre board, I find that I frequently hit extra keys, and do things such as activate Caps Lock when I am aiming for the letter A. At first, I attributed this to being unfamiliar with Topre keyswitches, and figured that the remedy was to use it exclusively.

Months later, my accuracy has improved only slightly. During my first 5 minutes with the QuietPro, on the other hand, I saw that my accuracy was spot-on, and that my typing style was not the problem here. The QuietPro is MUCH more tactile than my 45g Topre board, and that is most likely the main factor. However, I am also wondering if the increased weight is also a factor. Eventually, I intend to get a Cherry black board to test that theory and see how much the weighting is a factor, since Cherry black switches are heavier still.

When I was getting my Topre board, I opted for 45g because it was supposedly the same as the vaunted HHKB. Now, I am wondering if I would have been happier with the 55g Topre, which I hear are more tactile than their 45g brethren, but I do not have the means to find out, and don't intend to do anything with my 45g board on a gamble. While I love the Topre "thock", I have to say, I love my QuietPro's accuracy FAR more. The QuietPro's sound is also a pleasure.

All in all, I am very pleased with the QuietPro, and do not regret it in the slightest. I highly recommend it to anyone who wants a great typing experience. I can't address how well-suited it is for gaming, as I am not a gamer. I am sure there are those who will disagree with my assessment, but for me, the QuietPro is the perfect keyboard. Kudos to Matias and their development team!

Offline Burz

• maybe get a blister on yo' little finger...
Re: Matias QuietPro (full-size) review and comparison to Topre 45g
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 08 April 2013, 00:41:00 »
Thanks for the review. Still waiting for my mini QP.

I have been using the AT101W for my regular keyboard and just switched back to my MiniTouch (Montereys) today. It will be interesting to compare the Matias quiet switches to ALPS black, as Edgar Matias has stated he is a fan of the black switches.

Matias Mini QuietPro  \\ Dell AT101W - Black ALPS  \\ SIIG MiniTouch x2 White XM - Monterey  \\ Colemak layout.

Offline quickcrx702

• Ready to bomb with Vietnam tatted on my back
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 10 April 2013, 02:16:06 »
FYI the 45g has nothing on the 55g in terms of tactility.  I also like tactile boards, and found the 45g to be very underwhelming as far as tactility, but the 55g is great.  I'm still waiting on my quiet pro mini, hopefully it will live up to these reviews.  Thanks.

Offline macguy80

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 10 April 2013, 20:13:07 »
Thanks for the review. Still waiting for my mini QP.

I have been using the AT101W for my regular keyboard and just switched back to my MiniTouch (Montereys) today. It will be interesting to compare the Matias quiet switches to ALPS black, as Edgar Matias has stated he is a fan of the black switches.

I used to own an AT101W, and I remember liking it, but I can't remember how it sounded or felt to be able to compare. I can tell you that you'll want to hang in there and wait for your mini QP to arrive. You won't be disappointed. It will be well worth the wait. :)

Offline macguy80

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 10 April 2013, 20:25:33 »
FYI the 45g has nothing on the 55g in terms of tactility.  I also like tactile boards, and found the 45g to be very underwhelming as far as tactility, but the 55g is great.  I'm still waiting on my quiet pro mini, hopefully it will live up to these reviews.  Thanks.

Grr....I wish I had the benefit of your post before I ordered my 45g. 55g sounds like what I would have been looking for in a Topre board. I'm still trying to detect ANY tactility whatsoever. No matter how I try to modify my typing style, I don't have any tactile feedback, unless bottoming out counts :)

Oh well, when finances allow, a 55g Topre it will be...I have to say, I get the appeal of the HHKB layout, but those 45g switches.... I don't see how those can have fans at all, unless there is some fundamental difference in feel in the HHKB as compared to a 45g Realforce?

Of course, that isn't to say all 45g switches are bad... I do want to try Cherry browns one day to compare.

As for the mini QP, it will be worth the wait. Had it been out when I got my Topre board, there's a *very* good chance I wouldn't even have a Topre board right now :)

Offline quickcrx702

• Ready to bomb with Vietnam tatted on my back
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 01:02:36 »
Cherry browns feel quite different than the 45g Topre, but are about as enjoyable to type on.  They feel more mechanical, but almost like the switches were made out of wood or something.  They have a tactile bump, but it's hardly noticeable if you type fast.  The 55g in my opinion feels more tactile than buckling spring boards, but in a different way.  Buckling springs almost feel like a toy to me, in both a good and a bad way.  The 55g's tactile bump almost feels like you are popping bubble wrap with your fingers every time you press a key, but then feels smooth as you bottom out.

Offline Tempest790

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 12 April 2013, 07:45:14 »
Thanks for the review.

Offline macguy80

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 12 April 2013, 18:45:50 »
Cherry browns feel quite different than the 45g Topre, but are about as enjoyable to type on.  They feel more mechanical, but almost like the switches were made out of wood or something.  They have a tactile bump, but it's hardly noticeable if you type fast.  The 55g in my opinion feels more tactile than buckling spring boards, but in a different way.  Buckling springs almost feel like a toy to me, in both a good and a bad way.  The 55g's tactile bump almost feels like you are popping bubble wrap with your fingers every time you press a key, but then feels smooth as you bottom out.

Oh my. I will have to try Cherry browns and a 55g Topre as well. I can tell from your description that the 55g Topre is more for me than the 45g. Is the sound any different? I never know how trustworthy sound samples on Youtube are. I can't really tell if any difference I might perceive is an actual difference, or merely differences in microphone quality and/or placement. I've yet to find any sound comparisons of the two in the same video.

I highly doubt that anything will replace the QP as my daily driver. The tactility is just right (for me, anyway). But "research" never hurts, right? ;)

Offline lazerpointer

• ya gotta stay phresh
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 12 April 2013, 22:46:54 »
Nice review, interesting to see someone compare such different keyboards.

Oh my. I will have to try Cherry browns and a 55g Topre as well. I can tell from your description that the 55g Topre is more for me than the 45g. Is the sound any different? I never know how trustworthy sound samples on Youtube are. I can't really tell if any difference I might perceive is an actual difference, or merely differences in microphone quality and/or placement. I've yet to find any sound comparisons of the two in the same video.

I highly doubt that anything will replace the QP as my daily driver. The tactility is just right (for me, anyway). But "research" never hurts, right? ;)

First of all, good call with the 55g purchase - don't settle your impressions on it until a month has passed though. Seriously, the thing will "break in" and won't be so stiff / frictiony.

Also Cherry brown switches are in my opinion the best of the Cherry variety because they're among the only switches that I am not able to feel the tactile bump without either actuating the key twice or not actuating it at all... and they're just comfy to type on if you have something soft to bottom out on like o-rings or landing pads.
« Last Edit: Fri, 12 April 2013, 22:48:34 by Flip »
i type, therefore i geekhack