Author Topic: [CLOSED] SP-111 - Split Southpaw Keyboard  (Read 103886 times)

Offline orim23

Re: [CLOSED] SP-111 - Split Southpaw Keyboard
« Reply #150 on: Sun, 07 February 2021, 13:46:19 »
The ones I used are 3 volts

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
Thanks. Will order some...

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Sorry for not getting back sooner, The board was designed for 3mm LEDs and for anything around the 2v - 3.5v range for forward voltage. Hope you can find what you are wanting!!!
Thank you. I will!

Offline Buster69

« Reply #151 on: Thu, 11 February 2021, 13:03:24 »
Have another weird one for you guys haha.

I just noticed that every now and again, when I go to touch the Sp-111, I am getting a static shock (nothing crazy).  Specifically when I go to use the numpad, it has happened maybe 4 or 5 times now.  The keyboard works fine, but what I have noticed is that each time it happens my UW seems to be affected and the screen momentarily flicks off or black, then returns to normal a second later.  It is a $1,500 monitor so it has me sweating a little bit.  Any ideas of what this could be?  I should also mention that the keyboard is not plugged into the monitor or anything weird like that.

Offline thecyangiant

« Reply #152 on: Thu, 11 February 2021, 13:19:49 »

I just noticed that every now and again, when I go to touch the Sp-111, I am getting a static shock (nothing crazy).  Specifically when I go to use the numpad, it has happened maybe 4 or 5 times now.  The keyboard works fine, but what I have noticed is that each time it happens my UW seems to be affected and the screen momentarily flicks off or black, then returns to normal a second later.  It is a $1,500 monitor so it has me sweating a little bit.  Any ideas of what this could be?  I should also mention that the keyboard is not plugged into the monitor or anything weird like that.
That's concerning, I'm not sure about the esd protection on this board, but might be worth messaging Blind Assassin directly.
I'd recommend checking for environmental culprits: winter weather/dry air, personal static build up (are you wearing socks only when this happens? Does it occur with rubber soled shoes?), Is the cable a custom cable? Are both halves of the board well connected?

In the short term I personally would err on the side of caution and stop using it until you get some further info, I don't think it'll impact your monitor but esd has been known to fry pcb's, particularly on split boards.

Offline Buster69

« Reply #153 on: Thu, 11 February 2021, 13:31:02 »

That's concerning, I'm not sure about the esd protection on this board, but might be worth messaging Blind Assassin directly.
I'd recommend checking for environmental culprits: winter weather/dry air, personal static build up (are you wearing socks only when this happens? Does it occur with rubber soled shoes?), Is the cable a custom cable? Are both halves of the board well connected?

In the short term I personally would err on the side of caution and stop using it until you get some further info, I don't think it'll impact your monitor but esd has been known to fry pcb's, particularly on split boards.

That is good advice, I will shoot him a message directly.

You might be right about environmental culprits.  I live in Maine and it is very cold and dry haha.  My desk/monitor is blocking a window.  I do have a small rug under my chair and I am usually wearing either just socks or rubber soled elk hide LL Bean slippers (ofc!). Just using generic cables atm, but do plan on making some customs up when Dracula comes in.  Speaking of Dracula, I will take your advice and 'Err' on the side of caution and switch to another board for now until I can figure this out.  I will miss my boba's but I am sure my GF will love hearing some properly lubed creams at 6:30 am.

Thanks again for your detailed response, very much appreciate my friend  :thumb:

Offline BlindAssassin111

• I design keyboards and stuff.
    • Viktus
« Reply #154 on: Thu, 11 February 2021, 13:33:28 »

Have you ever had issues with static on other metal boards? And have you tried swapping boards when this occurs to see if the issue is more environment than keyboard specifically? I ask because depending on local weather (humidity level specifically) is a large culprit of things like this. I know JayzTwoCents did a video not that long ago about his issues with static and his monitor but he lives in a very arid area but winter as well drops humidity enough to cause similar issues.

But the PCB does have ESD protection so hopefully nothing will happen on that end but I am not sure what else could cause this given I have never personally had this issue but I also live in a very humid area so static is not a common issue.

There is ESD protection on every single connector on this board so that shouldn't be an issue.

Offline thecyangiant

« Reply #155 on: Thu, 11 February 2021, 13:39:27 »
Glad to know about the esd protection!
Yeah I bet if it's Maine weather that's a big factor. I also wonder if there may be some potential for shorting, perhaps lining the bottom of the case with a thin rubber or foam might be a smart move.

Offline Buster69

« Reply #156 on: Thu, 11 February 2021, 13:46:39 »

Have you ever had issues with static on other metal boards? And have you tried swapping boards when this occurs to see if the issue is more environment than keyboard specifically? I ask because depending on local weather (humidity level specifically) is a large culprit of things like this. I know JayzTwoCents did a video not that long ago about his issues with static and his monitor but he lives in a very arid area but winter as well drops humidity enough to cause similar issues.

But the PCB does have ESD protection so hopefully nothing will happen on that end but I am not sure what else could cause this given I have never personally had this issue but I also live in a very humid area so static is not a common issue.

There is ESD protection on every single connector on this board so that shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks Assassin.  I haven't had static issues with other metal boards.  I was using the 111 for awhile before I upgraded my monitor with no issues.  With that being said, it has just recently started getting very cold and dry here (single digits) the past few weeks and in the same timeframe of when I started noticing the issue.  I am starting to wonder if my new monitor could possibly be putting out some fuzzies also.  Funny, I did see Jayz video about that and I didn't even think about it until you mentioned it.  I will have to rewatch.  I will use my Maja for a few days and see if I notice anything with that.   

Offline Buster69

« Reply #157 on: Thu, 11 February 2021, 13:53:09 »
Glad to know about the esd protection!
Yeah I bet if it's Maine weather that's a big factor. I also wonder if there may be some potential for shorting, perhaps lining the bottom of the case with a thin rubber or foam might be a smart move.

I will need to figure something out.  Thanks for the suggestion, I will do some digging.  I love the board and I know it has ESD protection, it might just be that I have some crazy static fuzzies in here; cold, dry, dog, rug, socks, lots of electronics.

Offline click quack

• Just an illustrator
« Reply #158 on: Thu, 11 February 2021, 14:24:02 »
Pretty pretty please do R2!  ❤️

Too late for the GB and extras on TKC went so quick!

Offline pararch

« Reply #159 on: Thu, 11 February 2021, 15:02:07 »

I second this, extras went in about 30 sec tops.

Offline BlindAssassin111

• I design keyboards and stuff.
    • Viktus
« Reply #160 on: Thu, 11 February 2021, 18:37:42 »

I second this, extras went in about 30 sec tops.

R2 is planned but I won't announce the date until closer to when it runs, so keep a look out for an R2 announcement on www.viktus.design or on my discord server (invite link on the footer of my website).

Offline orim23

« Reply #161 on: Sat, 13 February 2021, 12:09:44 »
I used the plate DXF files to 3d print a plate "foam". Left side is printing atm.

Offline MajorKoos

• 1 life please. Extra large.
« Reply #162 on: Sat, 13 February 2021, 21:53:15 »
What you printing with?  PLA?
What about the infill?

Offline orim23

« Reply #163 on: Sun, 14 February 2021, 01:33:52 »
Its a rather soft TPU with 100% infill.

Offline IOVERCALLHISTIOCYTES

« Reply #164 on: Sun, 14 February 2021, 01:46:44 »
Orim, that’s amazing!

For those in the states who want foam, Stupidfish1 has my white sp-111 right now for foam design. His discord will likely announce it; I can post here when available too.

Offline DERBS

• N E 3u bars avail?
« Reply #165 on: Sun, 14 February 2021, 21:23:25 »
Bless your soul :pray:

Offline BattleFrogue

« Reply #166 on: Tue, 27 April 2021, 09:33:58 »
Hi, I have to say I love the design and layout of this keyboard. I wish more keyboards embraced the left hand numpad. A quick question on any potential round 2 that there might be:
Is the plan to just do a second round of the exact board, or will there be a V2 version of the board? I was wondering if there was any chance that a wireless BT version could be made at all.

Offline Buster69

« Reply #167 on: Fri, 22 October 2021, 20:20:49 »
Hey guys. I just rebuilt my sp111 with my extra pcb. Having the issue where I can't get it to load in via and remap keys. This happened with my first build but I don't remember what I did to fix it lol. Currently, it's flashed using qmk using the viktus file. Any help would be appreciated 🙏

Sneak peak at the new build 277663-0

Offline Buster69

« Reply #168 on: Sat, 23 October 2021, 09:24:57 »
Nvm, got it. Just kept resetting pcb and trying to flash until it worked