Author Topic: [IC] GMK ART 🎨 | GB is LIVE  (Read 124009 times)

Offline El_Jackador

Re: [IC] GMK ART
« Reply #150 on: Mon, 12 April 2021, 03:26:59 »

Offline LaserCrafter

• reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
« Reply #151 on: Wed, 14 April 2021, 02:57:23 »
meme deskmat. I'll take 5.
Keyboard Collection: Unikorn, Orion v2.5, Orion v3, Realforce 87u, Viper v3, NMB RT8756CGR, Unicorn x Legend, Das II, TC-V3, Jetfire, Wang 325-3770, Lightpad v2

Keyset Collection: OG Doubleshots, CRP 2551 R4, Muted 2, Cyan R1, WoB, DCS Wyse, ISO OG POM, ePBT Blanks, BSP Blanks, BoW + Gigachild

Offline chung

« Reply #152 on: Wed, 14 April 2021, 06:22:41 »
Love the deskmat, fk me

Offline OmoideAeternum

« Reply #153 on: Wed, 14 April 2021, 09:34:43 »
I live for the vibes of that deskmat.

Offline MatJimbo

« Reply #154 on: Wed, 14 April 2021, 12:10:09 »
I'm a sucker for the cream-coloured keycaps 🤤. Reminds me of GMK bread and ivory.

Offline Afresh

« Reply #155 on: Wed, 14 April 2021, 12:16:51 »
meme deskmat. I'll take 5.

Love the deskmat, fk me

I live for the vibes of that deskmat.

Deskmats should be here on friday. Can't wait to see them  ^-^

Offline Afresh

« Reply #156 on: Fri, 16 April 2021, 01:20:55 »
Added new vendor! Welcome Monokei for SEA region :)

Offline Afresh

« Reply #157 on: Mon, 19 April 2021, 05:01:47 »
Added new renders and updated kitting.

Offline ai06L

• SEE YOU, SPACE COWBOY
Re: [IC] GMK ART (new IC) GB July 1st
« Reply #158 on: Mon, 19 April 2021, 08:25:23 »
i suppose im a giant idiot then
Collection: Keycult No.1, 8XV2.0 Additional Ano silver WKL, FC660C Novatouched, Polaris, 8XV2.0 Additional coated black CWKL, Vega E-white, Vega Grey, Novatouch, Jelly Epoch SE

Waiting to ship: Cruelworld 60, 8XV3.0 light grey WKL

Offline jabe8i

« Reply #159 on: Tue, 20 April 2021, 01:04:03 »
I like the new novelties, but I think the lines on the Michelangelos are pretty thick compared to the others (kinda changes the uniformity). IF the kitting isn't final, I think maybe make them thinner if possible, or make the lines on the others a bit thicker?

Also, how much more expensive will the novelty kit be if there was at least one of each portrait on each row?

Offline Bonsa

« Reply #160 on: Tue, 20 April 2021, 06:04:56 »
why not just make a novelty kit lol? there's enough bow sets out there already ;)
Deskmat says pretty much what I think of the base kit set haha, but the novelties are awesome.

Offline Afresh

« Reply #161 on: Tue, 20 April 2021, 07:15:19 »
why not just make a novelty kit lol? there's enough bow sets out there already ;)
Deskmat says pretty much what I think of the base kit set haha, but the novelties are awesome.

Thank you for your interest in novelity kit!  :thumb:

Offline lush_bunny

• TBR Prime | 7V | Pandora | Kaze
« Reply #162 on: Tue, 20 April 2021, 07:45:45 »
Added new vendor! Welcome Monokei for SEA region :)

AW YIS.

Offline Trigozen

« Reply #163 on: Tue, 20 April 2021, 15:35:41 »
This might be the set that cures all illnesses I have. My wife gave the kids back and I won the lottery the day I found this set.

Offline GreyMan

• Always drinking coffee
« Reply #164 on: Tue, 20 April 2021, 17:03:29 »
I better see some taped banana somewhere...
How it started: RedDragon K552
How it's going: SMKeys Custom 60%, DZ60RGB, Brass Plate, NK Creams, GMK Plum

Offline timotito

« Reply #165 on: Tue, 20 April 2021, 17:05:38 »
I love it

Offline fombat

« Reply #166 on: Wed, 21 April 2021, 00:37:04 »
please have something other than the third girl with the pearl earling for r1. two is fine the third should be something else imho. would add a lot of variety

Offline aethernet

« Reply #167 on: Wed, 21 April 2021, 09:16:51 »
so clean! nice job on the novelties

Offline dustywtr

• pog
Re: [IC] GMK ART 🎨 | GB July 1st
« Reply #168 on: Wed, 21 April 2021, 12:34:08 »
looking forward to this!

Offline frizkie

• Personal website and programming blog
Re: [IC] GMK ART | GB July 1st
« Reply #169 on: Thu, 22 April 2021, 13:33:08 »
I said this in the Reddit IC but I'll say it again, I'm 100% in for this if we get 40% support! The purple/pink accents absolutely set off the cream base color. Fantastic.

Offline alevyish

« Reply #170 on: Thu, 22 April 2021, 14:09:10 »
I like the new novelties, but I think the lines on the Michelangelos are pretty thick compared to the others (kinda changes the uniformity). IF the kitting isn't final, I think maybe make them thinner if possible, or make the lines on the others a bit thicker?

Also, how much more expensive will the novelty kit be if there was at least one of each portrait on each row?

There's definitely something going on with the thickness in the lines in the novelties. In the monochrome ones, the Michelangelos are certainly thicker. On the novelties with color, only half of them are thicker and the Starry Night (and maybe even The Scream) is also thicker.

Offline Afresh

« Reply #171 on: Fri, 23 April 2021, 04:48:46 »

There's definitely something going on with the thickness in the lines in the novelties. In the monochrome ones, the Michelangelos are certainly thicker. On the novelties with color, only half of them are thicker and the Starry Night (and maybe even The Scream) is also thicker.

hands look thicker because they are. I added a shadow to keep it similar and easily recognizable. Normal lines will be the same when it comes to painting or street art

Offline Adriano

« Reply #172 on: Fri, 23 April 2021, 04:59:14 »
Any chance for ISO-DE or NORDICEU Set?

Offline Afresh

« Reply #173 on: Fri, 23 April 2021, 05:27:56 »
Any chance for ISO-DE or NORDICEU Set?

I'm very hesitant to add these kits since there's little to no interest in it, around 1% when it comes to nordeuk kits. Maybe that will change in the future.

Offline jabe8i

« Reply #174 on: Fri, 23 April 2021, 06:46:36 »
Are those rama boards in the soya colorway? or are they not exact?

Offline Afresh

« Reply #175 on: Fri, 23 April 2021, 07:30:27 »

I tried to get it as close as possible. I myself gonna have ART on thermal (soya) ;)

Offline jabe8i

« Reply #176 on: Fri, 23 April 2021, 08:04:18 »

I tried to get it as close as possible. I myself gonna have ART on thermal (soya) ;)

YO get out of my head. This is exactly what I was thinking when I saw this set LOL

Offline Afresh

« Reply #177 on: Fri, 23 April 2021, 13:08:25 »
Added new Alice renders and photos of deskmats! They look amazing and I'm very happy with them :)
« Last Edit: Fri, 23 April 2021, 13:12:11 by Afresh »

Offline Extraxyz

« Reply #178 on: Fri, 23 April 2021, 16:14:19 »
I absolutely love those novelties but are you sure it's possible to doubleshot them? Those lines look a lot thinner than the minimum 0.25mm required.

Offline Afresh

« Reply #179 on: Fri, 23 April 2021, 16:24:34 »
I absolutely love those novelties but are you sure it's possible to doubleshot them? Those lines look a lot thinner than the minimum 0.25mm required.

All the novelties were done with GMK standards in mind, right now I'm waiting for quotes so I should know if they are correct soon.

Offline 28.8kbps

« Reply #180 on: Sat, 24 April 2021, 03:45:10 »
PLEASE include UK ISO. :)

Offline Gnarled

« Reply #181 on: Sat, 24 April 2021, 07:47:44 »
Is it going to be a wise idea to use the original Banksy art so closely for the deskmat? I get the novelties because the'yre public domain but this seems a little murky, especially since he/they just had that lawsuit against derivative artwork 2 years ago. Really doubt you're gonna get chased down for a deskmat but just in terms of the legality of it.

Offline lush_bunny

« Reply #182 on: Sat, 24 April 2021, 07:59:33 »
Oh wow, I didn't know that was a Banksy piece.

Offline spikedsynapse

« Reply #183 on: Sat, 24 April 2021, 10:37:55 »
I really love this. I cannot wait to have this on my board.

Offline CustomerSupport

• 🕸 developer
    • Discord
« Reply #184 on: Sat, 24 April 2021, 16:39:38 »
In my excitement, I also forgot to suggest 2x 1.5u Super keys and 1x Art key to allow support for Mac 7u bottom row users.

Since kitting has been updated (at least novelties), wanting to bump this again. I'd like to buy this either way, but 1.5u Super keys really go a long way :D

Offline Bobatype

• Discord ID: BobaSweatandTears#1659
« Reply #185 on: Sun, 25 April 2021, 03:01:25 »
Oh wow, I didn't know that was a Banksy piece.
Yeah it's a direct art reference, which is why it works well as a deskmat for this set, given the street art aspect too.
However I wonder how many people who will get the deskmat will get that it's irony/humour is from Banksy.

I do think it might be a nice idea for the OP to at least add a section in his IC to give attribution/thanks to the artists of the references he's using. Even though the majority of them are world-reknown, I think some acknowledgement of the references he's deriving inspiration from would be in good taste (dead people deserve a thanks too!), but it's not really a huge issue in the end. Just courtesy ha
« Last Edit: Sun, 25 April 2021, 11:09:31 by bobasweatandtears »

Offline jabe8i

« Reply #186 on: Sun, 25 April 2021, 05:13:00 »
Is it going to be a wise idea to use the original Banksy art so closely for the deskmat? I get the novelties because the'yre public domain but this seems a little murky, especially since he/they just had that lawsuit against derivative artwork 2 years ago. Really doubt you're gonna get chased down for a deskmat but just in terms of the legality of it.

Show Image

It seems like they're only using a small portion of the original work. I'm not sure about the legality of things like this, but using a small part of an artwork doesn't seem like it would bring any legal trouble.

Offline UGunaLOSE

« Reply #187 on: Sun, 25 April 2021, 07:42:00 »
love the vibe of the set (and the desk mat is top tier).

Look forward to it!

Offline Gnarled

« Reply #188 on: Sun, 25 April 2021, 10:57:06 »

Show Image

It seems like they're only using a small portion of the original work. I'm not sure about the legality of things like this, but using a small part of an artwork doesn't seem like it would bring any legal trouble.

Fair-use only covers transformative use, which is generally parody, commentary, or critique. This is effectively a trace of a section of an art piece used purely for commercial gain and not for education, so it'd be a very hard sell that it's fair-use. It would really be no different from me taking Balloon Girl:

and doing this:

And really if that's considered alright to do, then why stop there, what would be the difference between that and this:

Historically the kb community hasn't really been one to shy away from IP-use, a la Metaverse or 95NEON before the drama, but there's also a bit of a difference from using abstracted iconography for novelties and using a portion of someone's art nearly verbatim. Again, there's metric tons of faux Banksy merch and I doubt he'd chase this, it's just that maybe the irony isn't lost on me that a set called GMK Art has a deskmat that's completely derivative of someone else's work. And to clarify, it's not an issue with use of the quote. Maybe re-write it in a way that's not so on-the-nose and not have elements of the original typography.
« Last Edit: Sun, 25 April 2021, 10:59:29 by Gnarled »

Offline Afresh

« Reply #189 on: Sun, 25 April 2021, 11:58:57 »
The whole GMK Art set is related to art and I will admit that Banksy was my inspiration when creating the deskmats. In my opinion, he brilliantly captured the irony of modern art, which also applies to our hobbies, on which some of us spend a lot of money. 😅 I do not intend to take advantage of the artist's fame and the sentence itself cannot be copyrighted. As I wrote before - the whole thing is handwritten, not copied directly from Banksy's work. Thank you for your concern, I talked with my legal counselor and we are certain that everything is fine as it is.

Offline Qwapa

« Reply #190 on: Sun, 25 April 2021, 19:42:31 »
This mousepad is amazing.

Offline cthalupa

« Reply #191 on: Mon, 26 April 2021, 13:56:32 »
Afresh is a gentleman and all sophisticated gentlepeople should be interested in GMK ART.

Offline Afresh

« Reply #192 on: Fri, 30 April 2021, 03:49:34 »
This mousepad is amazing.

Afresh is a gentleman and all sophisticated gentlepeople should be interested in GMK ART.

Thank you for your kind words =)

More updates coming soon (collabs, new color, and deskmat).  :thumb:

Offline Volny

« Reply #193 on: Fri, 30 April 2021, 11:58:57 »
Since the Mona Lisa is famous for her ambiguous smile it might be cool to have slightly different mouths on the two versions

Offline Afresh

« Reply #194 on: Sat, 01 May 2021, 07:39:47 »
Hi! I am very busy today - since I'm working on GMK ART.

Many of you said that you aren't the biggest fan of this pink color (MG1), others have repeatedly emphasized that it would be great if I could color this set even more.

I've been working with a color book for several days and I think we have it! I would like to turn the pink color to hot ruby, more precisely ruby red c, which in my opinion will be a great contrast to ... blue.

Blue color (7453 c) will be an additional color - you will be able to get it in accent kit, although you might also find it in novelties - I'm thinking to make it a second variant of my street art novelties (joined by ruby red c).

From the beginning, I thought about one more distinct color, and your suggestions confirmed that it was a good idea.

Be sure to let me know, how do you like this new version of ART!
« Last Edit: Sat, 01 May 2021, 07:42:13 by Afresh »

Offline lush_bunny

« Reply #195 on: Sat, 01 May 2021, 15:33:32 »
I liked pink. But the alternatives you've suggested works.

Offline RoyalOak88

« Reply #196 on: Sat, 01 May 2021, 20:58:25 »

Same. I prefer the pink over ruby.

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #197 on: Sat, 01 May 2021, 23:58:11 »
With all the colors PBT might be the move like some have mentioned.

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline Afresh

« Reply #198 on: Sun, 02 May 2021, 01:48:35 »

Same. I prefer pink over ruby.

To be honest I was even considering not posting updates about that since it's so similar when you look at renders. I'm sure you guys will like it better, especially on novelties.

With all the colors PBT might be the move like some have mentioned.

There are 3 colors in the base kit and 1 other color in the accent kit. Sorry, but I won't abandon the manufacturer at this stage, with the level of interest this set has, this would be just a bad idea.

Offline jakk

« Reply #199 on: Sun, 02 May 2021, 20:34:12 »
love the set, instantly reminds me of those like antiques at a art museum