Author Topic: GON's KeyboardWorks - Questions and Answers  (Read 398664 times)

Offline tjweir

• * Exquisite Elder
Re: Questions and Answers
« Reply #400 on: Thu, 15 January 2015, 11:33:33 »

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
« Reply #401 on: Thu, 15 January 2015, 11:35:31 »
Just spoke with him via Skype today. I'm sure he's busy with CTRLALT's GB, his own GB and Massdrops GB.
Massdrop group buy?
+1 ?

I think this: https://www.massdrop.com/vote/gons-keyboard-kits

Sorry guys...I meant this one:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=66588.0

The DTA 2014 Limited Edition GON Nerd TKL.

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #402 on: Thu, 15 January 2015, 11:41:09 »
Just spoke with him via Skype today. I'm sure he's busy with CTRLALT's GB, his own GB and Massdrops GB.
Massdrop group buy?
+1 ?

Ahh okay. Honestly I can see GON offering a limited amount of unbuilt kits from Massdrop but oh god I hope he never decides to do a buy with them where he builds all the boards.. Jeez that would be a nightmare.

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
« Reply #403 on: Thu, 15 January 2015, 11:48:55 »
Massdrop group buy?
+1 ?

Ahh okay. Honestly I can see GON offering a limited amount of unbuilt kits from Massdrop but oh god I hope he never decides to do a buy with them where he builds all the boards.. Jeez that would be a nightmare.

I'm sure he's pretty much overloaded with tons of requests, but I can assure you he's still alive ;).

Offline asgeirtj

« Reply #404 on: Sun, 18 January 2015, 14:47:12 »
Two weeks with no reply.  No luck with Skype.  Pretty disconcerting :/ (He's making a board for me)
Leopold FC900 w/ 67g Purple Zealios - Silver Duck Octagon w/ 62 Purple Zealios

Offline DanielT

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #405 on: Sun, 18 January 2015, 15:35:18 »
Don't worry, these things take time. In the end you will get a custom one of a kind board.
GON is one man and so many want one ofhis creations, some waiting is normal.
Semnătura lu’ pește prăjit ....

Offline faceyourfaces

« Reply #406 on: Sun, 18 January 2015, 17:58:52 »
He told me it would be two more weeks, two weeks ago and I really had my hopes up. I guess at this point it would be best to forget I even ordered the board in the first place for whenever it finally comes.
« Last Edit: Sun, 18 January 2015, 18:05:04 by faceyourfaces »

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
« Reply #407 on: Sun, 18 January 2015, 21:38:00 »
I ordered 2 grey hard anodized plates for my KMAC2 on December 3 and I just got a confirmation of shipping today. Waited a month and a half for 2 plates.

I can guarantee everyone that you'll get your stuff! He's just been really busy.

Offline magically

« Reply #408 on: Mon, 19 January 2015, 01:24:12 »
Ordered a GON108 but haven't been able to get hold of him since New Year's eve. Wanted to ask about custom logo on the board, paid for it but haven't given him to logo file yet. Anyhoo, hopefully I will be able to get in touch with him soon.

Does anyone have any photos/pics of the making of Gon's boards?

Offline tjweir

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #409 on: Mon, 19 January 2015, 09:02:33 »
I had GON make me three MX-MINI plate/cases.

I had the same experience, not a ton of communication, but the finished product he sent to me was basically perfect and packed well.

Here is one of them:
http://i.imgur.com/f4qJP68.jpg

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #410 on: Mon, 19 January 2015, 11:28:05 »
I'm just trying to get some sort of update from him.. It has been almost 3 weeks since I last heard from him and its been 3 months since I ordered...  :confused:

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #411 on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 21:33:11 »
I'm just trying to get some sort of update from him.. It has been almost 3 weeks since I last heard from him and its been 3 months since I ordered...  :confused:

Did you add him on skype? He's usually fairly responsive there.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #412 on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 21:56:21 »

Did you add him on skype? He's usually fairly responsive there.

Yup. Added him on skype a while ago. No response. Sent about 10 messages no response. He was responsive before..

Edit: Finally got a hold of him. He has been working like a mad man apparently. 
« Last Edit: Tue, 20 January 2015, 22:22:33 by radio_killah »

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #413 on: Sat, 24 January 2015, 03:45:11 »
Edit: Finally got a hold of him. He has been working like a mad man apparently.

See, everyone here getting all worried about their keyboards being built yet the man has been working on them as we speak. 

Time for you lot here to pour some relax juice, sit back and contemplate your ignorance concerning Gon because he is always building more and more keyboards for everyone on this planet, while you lot sit here on this forum spreading fear and doubt as normal.

If you can't wait for anything to be built, imagine how you'll be when it comes time to buy a brand new G-Class Merc?

Offline Azumia

« Reply #414 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 22:02:46 »
See, everyone here getting all worried about their keyboards being built yet the man has been working on them as we speak. 

Time for you lot here to pour some relax juice, sit back and contemplate your ignorance concerning Gon because he is always building more and more keyboards for everyone on this planet, while you lot sit here on this forum spreading fear and doubt as normal.

If you can't wait for anything to be built, imagine how you'll be when it comes time to buy a brand new G-Class Merc?

Before I say this, I'd like to point out, I have A TON of respect for GON and I think his work is incredible. Hands down the most awesome keyboards I have ever seen.

I just ordered a car in October. I patiently waited the two months for it to get here from the factory. The difference is that I received weekly updates from the dealership and the owner's lounge section of the car manufacturer's website had a progress tracker.

I understand that GON is busy, but it's worrisome to pay $653 for a keyboard and not be able to get ahold of the person who's making it. The lead time section of the website says '4-10 weeks' and it's been 8 weeks since I ordered, so it makes me nervous when I pay so much for something and don't receive any updates. I'm sure the other people posting about not being able to get ahold of GON are just nervous as well, as his products are not cheap.

We all understand he's busy, but we're all just eager to receive our orders and updates are comforting.
Looking for Granite Mono Legends and Icon Modifiers~ https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=73646.0

Offline faceyourfaces

« Reply #415 on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 13:36:54 »

Before I say this, I'd like to point out, I have A TON of respect for GON and I think his work is incredible. Hands down the most awesome keyboards I have ever seen.

I just ordered a car in October. I patiently waited the two months for it to get here from the factory. The difference is that I received weekly updates from the dealership and the owner's lounge section of the car manufacturer's website had a progress tracker.

I understand that GON is busy, but it's worrisome to pay $653 for a keyboard and not be able to get ahold of the person who's making it. The lead time section of the website says '4-10 weeks' and it's been 8 weeks since I ordered, so it makes me nervous when I pay so much for something and don't receive any updates. I'm sure the other people posting about not being able to get ahold of GON are just nervous as well, as his products are not cheap.

We all understand he's busy, but we're all just eager to receive our orders and updates are comforting.

Agreed. I'm disappointed that I'm still waiting many weeks after the lead time but it would be a lot easier to digest if we were given updates instead of having to go out of our way to contact him. It is worrisome dropping that much on a keyboard and not receiving responses to emails and Skype messages.
« Last Edit: Tue, 27 January 2015, 13:39:57 by faceyourfaces »

Offline yobinad

« Reply #416 on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 16:39:04 »
I agree

A update would be apreciated

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #417 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 01:07:35 »
My advice just google what time it is in south korea and get on skype when it is around mid day in Seoul. Then just message GON. That is the best time to reach him. If you just contact him via  message and sign off it will do no good. I was able to get a hold of him this way. He assured me that he is making head way with everyone's orders but is still swamped. I too am waiting for something and it is super frustrating but GON has very popular which has given him lots of work as well.

Offline asgeirtj

« Reply #418 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 02:51:20 »
There is an option: On-PCB Backlight LED for the mx mini.  Can anyone tell me what this is?  Any picture of this in real life?
Leopold FC900 w/ 67g Purple Zealios - Silver Duck Octagon w/ 62 Purple Zealios

Offline faceyourfaces

« Reply #419 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 08:32:59 »
My advice just google what time it is in south korea and get on skype when it is around mid day in Seoul. Then just message GON. That is the best time to reach him. If you just contact him via  message and sign off it will do no good. I was able to get a hold of him this way. He assured me that he is making head way with everyone's orders but is still swamped. I too am waiting for something and it is super frustrating but GON has very popular which has given him lots of work as well.

Yeah, the one time I actually got in contact with him was around 2 am.

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #420 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 09:36:42 »
There is an option: On-PCB Backlight LED for the mx mini.  Can anyone tell me what this is?  Any picture of this in real life?
This is the side led color. On his cases there is a middle acrylic layer. The back LEDs on the PCB will shine though this middle layer. Check the post your GONs thread in the media section for pictures of this.

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
« Reply #421 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 11:20:22 »
I received 2 KMAC plates on Monday and I can say that GON's quality is one of the highest. Although there was a lack of communication as others have noted, he is still at the end of the day, a one man team...it's understandable.

Offline jaemzp

« Reply #422 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 14:05:00 »

http://www.corsair.com/en/landing/mx-rgb look at the video thumbnail. The green led light is mounted to the pcb which then shines through the rgb switch. This is essentially how the led is mounted.. literally on the pcb. Choose this option if you're selecting a acrylic case for a build.. but I think if you're getting a regular case you should choose in-switch led lighting.

If I'm wrong feel free to correct me.

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
« Reply #423 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 15:50:20 »

http://www.corsair.com/en/landing/mx-rgb look at the video thumbnail. The green led light is mounted to the pcb which then shines through the rgb switch. This is essentially how the led is mounted.. literally on the pcb. Choose this option if you're selecting a acrylic case for a build.. but I think if you're getting a regular case you should choose in-switch led lighting.

If I'm wrong feel free to correct me.

You're totally correct. In order for these LEDs to shine through, you'll need an acrylic plate (has to be see through) in order for the light to shine through. Having a metal plate will negate this.

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #424 on: Fri, 30 January 2015, 22:41:49 »
Just so everyone gets the update: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=68275.0

Offline mattycee

« Reply #425 on: Wed, 04 February 2015, 01:30:18 »
Quick question I saw some post about using Gon keyboard with macs. I also understand thats not supported on macs, but does it still work on mac osx?

Thank You
Current: Das 4 MX Blues,  Poker II MX Clears

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
« Reply #426 on: Wed, 04 February 2015, 18:57:03 »
Quick question I saw some post about using Gon keyboard with macs. I also understand thats not supported on macs, but does it still work on mac osx?

Thank You

I'm sure it'll work, but the special functions may not.

Offline mattycee

« Reply #427 on: Wed, 04 February 2015, 22:48:43 »
So if i use a windows to map my keys will it retain it on the keyboard when i switch to mac osx? Also has anyone tried it on mac osx. I just need the basic functions for TKL version of nerd. =D really want this keyboard but i need to make sure it works with mac  :(

-Thank You for any help.

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
« Reply #428 on: Wed, 04 February 2015, 23:04:02 »
It should. It's hardware remapping after all. I havnt tried it on a mac, but it works on my laptop running antergos.

Offline mattycee

« Reply #429 on: Wed, 04 February 2015, 23:33:03 »
 :thumb: ok hardware mapping is awesome. Now i just need someone to confirm for sure because I am iOS developer so i work mainly on macs  :(

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
« Reply #430 on: Wed, 04 February 2015, 23:38:38 »
I can't imagine it wouldn't work, it's just a usb input. But I guess it's better safe then sorry.

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
« Reply #431 on: Thu, 05 February 2015, 00:19:57 »
I'll give it a try tomorrow with a MBA if no one hasn't.

Offline mattycee

« Reply #432 on: Thu, 05 February 2015, 00:38:56 »

;D Thank You!!!! Youre totally awesome! Really want to get a Gon keyboard

Offline yobinad

« Reply #433 on: Thu, 05 February 2015, 02:07:21 »
You can use karabiner to remap on osx. Software remap

Offline StinkyTheDonut

• I like rubber domes.
« Reply #434 on: Thu, 05 February 2015, 04:52:11 »
I have a noob question that I know there is an answer to, but I can't find the thread anymore...
I saw someone use SMD LEDs for backlight(not the side LEDs) from under Gateron switches. Maybe it was Zeal.

I want to ask if that build used the regular LED pads for the SMDs or if there were dedicated lands for SMD backlight.
I only have a washable keyboard.

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
« Reply #435 on: Thu, 05 February 2015, 11:52:18 »
I have a noob question that I know there is an answer to, but I can't find the thread anymore...
I saw someone use SMD LEDs for backlight(not the side LEDs) from under Gateron switches. Maybe it was Zeal.

I want to ask if that build used the regular LED pads for the SMDs or if there were dedicated lands for SMD backlight.

I'm pretty sure the PCB has dedicated LED pads for the SMD LEDs. These SMD LEDs are only good if your plate is transparent/see-through. Otherwise, I'd stick with the traditional 3mm/2x3x4 LEDs.

Offline mattycee

« Reply #436 on: Thu, 05 February 2015, 12:47:46 »
You can use karabiner to remap on osx. Software remap

mapping is not my main concern as long as it works i can map it from a windows computer to use on my mac. Varmilo keyboard had trouble with connecting to the mac and people tried to re-write new firmwares for that keyboard to make it work. Thats what worries me  :(

Offline StinkyTheDonut

• I like rubber domes.
« Reply #437 on: Thu, 05 February 2015, 17:24:03 »

I'm pretty sure the PCB has dedicated LED pads for the SMD LEDs. These SMD LEDs are only good if your plate is transparent/see-through. Otherwise, I'd stick with the traditional 3mm/2x3x4 LEDs.

Assuming there is, would it be possible to use both the SMD LEDs and the in switch LEDs at the same time?
Would they run parallel off the same resistor?
Is there enough current to power two LEDs per switch?
Does USB provide enough power for 2 LEDs per switch and side LEDs on top of that?

I'm an electrical noob and I don't even know if what I'm asking is considered sane.
In the case that there aren't dedicated backlight SMD pads, I've already thought of a way to put 2 LEDs per switch anyway, I don't have a clue if it works.
If there are dedicated pads, I think my idea can be applied for 3 LEDs per switch, but alas, I have no experience in any of this so it's all just my demented fantasy.  :p
I only have a washable keyboard.

Offline mattycee

« Reply #438 on: Fri, 06 February 2015, 00:20:07 »

Hey Dreamre were you able to give it a try with a mac?  :p

Offline DanielT

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #439 on: Sat, 07 February 2015, 15:30:42 »

Hey Dreamre were you able to give it a try with a mac?  :p

I use my boards with LINUX and they work like a charm :cool:
Semnătura lu’ pește prăjit ....

Offline mattycee

« Reply #440 on: Sun, 08 February 2015, 00:51:27 »
Whats the difference between glare and non glare and semi glare? There isnt much picture that really show the big difference. :(

Offline cphead

« Reply #441 on: Sun, 08 February 2015, 02:12:14 »
Waiting on a KMAC plate and pcb combo from September. I've seen the "update", just curious if anyone received theirs yet?

Offline yobinad

« Reply #442 on: Sun, 08 February 2015, 08:16:21 »
Waiting on a KMAC plate and pcb combo from September. I've seen the "update", just curious if anyone received theirs yet?

Where did you see the update? GONs website?

Offline avtar

« Reply #443 on: Sun, 08 February 2015, 09:27:26 »

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #444 on: Sun, 08 February 2015, 11:43:33 »
When I last talked to GON he said he had 2 more orders before mine he had to get done and I had ordered in mod October. So if you are still waiting on something from September yours should be done soon.

Offline rmw2013

« Reply #445 on: Sun, 08 February 2015, 22:02:05 »
I am confused on how the LEDs, diodes and resistors all fit on the Nerd 60 V 2.0...?

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #446 on: Sun, 08 February 2015, 22:05:44 »
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline MrMen

« Reply #447 on: Tue, 10 February 2015, 16:29:45 »
Hi all, I'm thinking about affording me a Gon.
Do you know if mxmini Nerd pcb is done ? And does the housing are available  or only on pre order ?

Does anyone have one of this beauty ?

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #448 on: Tue, 10 February 2015, 16:49:48 »
Hi all, I'm thinking about affording me a Gon.
Do you know if mxmini Nerd pcb is done ? And does the housing are available  or only on pre order ?

Does anyone have one of this beauty ?

PCBs and housings are probably pre-made, the case however will be anodized to whatever color you choose for your particular board. There are a few pictures of a MX mini, most notable is the orange one made by Hoffmanmyster. Just note that even though some items may already be manufactured, GON still will take about 2 months to assemble a board. If you choose to assemble it yourself I am sure it would take at least a month to ship since anodizing can take up to about 3 weeks.

Edit: Link to Hoffman's board (currently in possession of Gl1tch3d) https://www.flickr.com/photos/99522542@N03/14760792914/
« Last Edit: Tue, 10 February 2015, 16:53:38 by radio_killah »

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #449 on: Tue, 10 February 2015, 18:05:48 »
So I ordered a GON HHKB earlier this week, I plan to assemble it myself. Is the default housing ANSI? I didn't see any option to select ANSI or ISO and I don't want to end up with an ISO top plate.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done