Author Topic: [IC] Bireme - A Wireless Ergodox-inspired Split Keyboard  (Read 38901 times)

Offline shensmobile

[IC] Bireme - A Wireless Ergodox-inspired Split Keyboard
« on: Wed, 08 May 2019, 18:13:02 »
Introduction

The Bireme has been a passion project of mine that was heavily inspired by two great boards: The Ergodox and the UniGo66. The Ergodox Infinity is the keyboard that got me into custom keyboards and unique layouts. I joined the community towards the tail-end of the Ergodox's peak as the go-to "show your friends how weird Keyboards can be" DIY keyboard, when Massdrop would regularly bring back the Ergodox Infinity drops. Over time, I've watched as Ergodox interest has waned, with Ergodox keycap kits being harder and harder to hit MOQ. Even though IC and Ergodox EZ were continuing development the board in their own ways (hot swap, per-key RGB, underglow), they stuck to the same design principles of the Ergodox that seemed to hold it back:

• The thumb cluster was too large, unwieldy, and mostly useless
• Lack of high end/interesting cases.
• Interconnecting cables are a nuissance on your desk or when you're on the go.

To be honest, I myself had moved on and have been typing on Boardwalks for more than a year now. When the UniGo66 IC and GB launched, I immediately thought about how it solved the above two problems, and the interest from the community supported my theory about why the Ergodox had become passe. While I really admire the UniGo66 for its creativity and stellar mechanical quality (and to be transparent I was all over that GB like stink on cheese), I had a feeling I would really miss the Ergodox' columnar stagger. I started tinkering in Solidworks to see if I could mash the two together to make something greater than the sum of its parts. I wanted to design a keyboard that would be the missing link between high end customs and ergonomic typing. A kind of "Metal Gear," if you will.

Shoutouts

I'd like to thank alex_at_panc, dollartacos, and un_related for helping with the development process. I wouldn't have been able to get here without the support of these three gentlemen!

Gallery
219948-0
More
I apologize in advance for my potato phone camera

218881-1
218935-2
218937-3

218887-4
The thumb cluster will support a number of different options.  For 2u keys, they are stabilized with PCB mount stabs.

218889-5
The case has gone through several revisions to get to what it is today!

218891-6
The interior of the case.  The plate is mounted via 4 (and a 5th has been added) M3 screws around the case.  This makes the build quite rigid!

218894-7
3D printed bottoms will be offered a marginal cost to test out various tenting angles.  If people like the tented bases for typing, I can look into an organized GB of machined polycarb bases in the future.

Specs
Electronics:
• Bluetooth 5.0, with supported wired mode as well
• Internal 3000 mAh LiPo battery that can be charged by USB
• Kailh Hot swap sockets, with via-reinforced pads
• Powered by QMK

Mechanicals:
• CNC Aluminum case (20mm thick), powder coated by /u/alex_at_panc
• Top mounted 5mm Aluminum or brass plate
• Acrylic or 3d printed bottom

Tentative Pricing

CNC Case + Electronics + Stainless steel plate + Powdercoating: $300
Brass plate: +$50
Extra set of PCBs: +$100
Tented 3d printed bottom: +$10

2019-05-26 Update: Prices have been reduced due to switching to a new manufacturer with an even better reputation.  This new manufacturer has more experience with keyboards and has the right equipment to produce what I want, which has led to the inclusion of the 5mm plate as part of the new reduced produced price point.

Ongoing Development
This is where I’m going to need everybody’s help. This project is definitely still fluid and between optimizing costs and redesigning the damn electronics every 2 weeks, there’s time for plenty of input from you guys! I’m excited to expand this to the wider community and get more feedback about how to move forward. If you're interested in this project at all, please fill out the survey and let me know where we should take the Bireme!

Electronics
The first iterations of the keyboard were meant to use a modified Mitosis/Redox Wireless design. That is to say, it would have featured the Waveshare Core51822(B) modules, coin cells, and the use of a USB receiver that is tethered to your PC. I loved this design because of how simple it was, and the option to sell kits unassembled and have users solder the parts themselves. However, the coin cell taking up space on the PCB was a major challenge, as well as having to flash the modules using an ST Link debugger. As the design started to evolve and I wanted to make the product feel more premium, I made the decision to shift to a new BT implementation with the features listed above in the specs.

I am currently redesigning the PCB with the help of an unnamed contributor who wishes to remain anonymous for now. I'm hoping to have PCBs ordered this month and assembled and tested. I'm going to be honest, I'm decent at PCB design but flat out garbage at programming so firmware may slow me down, but it's coming along at a fair pace and I want to make sure I do it right the first time.

I'm currently also looking for the largest, thinninest LiPo battery. There will be quite a bit of space for batteries but the limiting factor is thickness. The thicker the battery, the thicker the case. So far, it looks like around 1000 mAh is about the largest single battery with a thickness that's safe for the case. There's enough space to fit 4 of them inside though, if we wanted to go wild.

Update 2019-05-26: Left PCB is done, working on right side PCB now.  Have also sourced a massive 3000 mAh lipo battery that will fit in the case :)

Mechanicals
The general case design language is frozen and I don't want to **** around with it anymore (seriously, it’s gone through enough revisions). However, I’m still working out the details of support components, namely the plate. I will be offering both brass and stainless steel versions of the plate, but I'm looking into offering a 5mm plate, or even an integrated plate, depending on how many people are interested. 

Update 2019-05-26: A 5mm aluminum and brass plate option will be the two options for plates now, even at the reduced price point.

After printing the prototype and throwing some caps in the case, I'm also not very happy with the gap between the caps and the bezels. Would you be supportive of shrinking this distance or would you rather error on the side of caution?

Update 2019-05-26: I have shrunk the gap by 0.5mm.  Waiting on a resin printed prototype to get a higher accuracy comparison.

Low Cost Alternative
Is there enough interest in the layout itself to warrant releasing PCB files for a wired version of the board, with acrylic/3d printed case files? I'm happy to whip up a DIY wired PCB that uses TRRS jacks and Pro Micros on each side. I know not everybody is ecstatic about dropping $300+ on a keyboard, or people would want to try the layout before committing to something more extravagant.

Update 2019-05-26: Due to the amount of time the Bireme is taking up for me, I have decided to put the low cost alternative PCB aside for now.  I will 100% be releasing gerbers for a pro-micro DIY wired version in the future but right now I don't have the bandwidth to design another PCB. 

Survey
I'm happy to carry on dialog and discuss the design with everyone here but it's way easier to digest data when it's tabulated in some format. Please, if you have a chance, go through this survey and let me know your thoughts!  If you want to join the mailing list to get my updates first, there's an option to leave your email address!

https://forms.gle/oXn9vuA9b7qxfWVD7
« Last Edit: Sun, 26 May 2019, 11:13:21 by shensmobile »

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
Re: [IC] Bireme - A Wireless Ergodox-inspired Split Keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 08 May 2019, 21:00:42 »
Following this project with great interest.

Glad to see a wired fall back option. What about the connection between both halves? Will that be wireless only?

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 08 May 2019, 21:10:35 »
why does everyone shrink the thumb cluster

that's the best part
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 08 May 2019, 21:21:51 »

that's the best part

Folks have small hands?? IDK?

Is this thumb cluster smaller than the one on the Unigo66?

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 08 May 2019, 21:32:13 »

that's the best part

im thinking more about the ergodox
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline shensmobile

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 08 May 2019, 21:38:15 »

that's the best part

Thumb cluster is the same as on the Unigo66.

There's a question in the survey regarding a TRRS jack for a fully wired fallback mode, and so far most people have said "Yes" so yeah, I'm gonna do my darndest to make it happen :)

Offline elfick

• Can I get Colemak and a side of fries with that?
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 09 May 2019, 12:05:00 »
How does one hit the far 1u key in the thumb cluster? With the thumb or with the pointer finger? This would be the "Be Cool" key in the top gallery image.

Offline Kokaloo

• 🤘(• ω •)🤙
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 09 May 2019, 12:19:26 »
Is hotswap going to be the only option?

Offline shensmobile

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 09 May 2019, 12:50:04 »
How does one hit the far 1u key in the thumb cluster? With the thumb or with the pointer finger? This would be the "Be Cool" key in the top gallery image.

It is definitely a little harder to hit than the button below it, but I plan on setting that button as something used less often, like probably a tertiary function layer toggle, or delete maybe?  Both positions support 2u mods, but I wanted to leave the option of 1u for those who want some extra keys. 

Is hotswap going to be the only option?

As part of the main GB, yes.  I do plan on releasing some PCB files later down the road as part of a "low cost" alternative that will use a Pro Micro and a TRRS jack, so either you can use one of those wireless Pro Micro replacements, or build a wired Bireme.  The files will be released with acrylic case files, 3d printed case files, and PCB plate/bottom files.

Offline Jonathan0903

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 09 May 2019, 19:42:04 »
Beautiful board! Will be following this very closely, and I hope it becomes a reality soon. Keep up the good work <3

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 12 May 2019, 06:14:57 »
So this is what you were up to  :)) Good to see you revitalising the Ergodox layout, it will be super good for all those sets that offer an Ergodox kit.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 12 May 2019, 06:31:18 »

that's the best part

I don't understand it either...

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 12 May 2019, 06:33:09 »

that's the best part

I don't understand it either...

E R G O N O M I C S ?

Offline OkKarma

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 12 May 2019, 13:35:25 »
Having typed on an Ergodox ez before, I can say I like the idea of a thumb cluster but dislike the stretching needed to get to the keys. This layout, coupled with the wireless option, is the perfect middle ground between the Iris and the Ergodox I've been waiting for. :)

Offline xarkkon

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 13 May 2019, 01:33:03 »
Following this. I'd missed Unigo66 back then as my budget was locked up with Espectro. Would love to have this, especially with the wired fallback!

Offline shensmobile

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 13 May 2019, 10:18:23 »
So this is what you were up to  :)) Good to see you revitalising the Ergodox layout, it will be super good for all those sets that offer an Ergodox kit.

I'm hoping that designing enough boards/layouts that use the Ergodox layout will help restore its popularity in keycap GB's :)

Thanks for the support everyone, I'm hoping to get the PCB done soon so I can finalize the case design (made some changes already to the gap between bezel and keycaps), get it printed in resin so I have a high quality proto to check for fit, and then get that design off to the machinist for a final quote.  I might also look at some other machinists that have done keyboards as well to see if I can get some more competitive pricing.  I think the price is reasonable as is, but if I can bring the costs down, why not right?

Offline Poblopuablo

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 13 May 2019, 22:13:40 »
Really excited to see the Bluetooth +QMK compatibility!

Offline uood5

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 15 May 2019, 09:02:29 »
Gutted that this starts up just as my unigo arrived, I love that this is bluetooth rather than the unigo's weird semi-propriertary solution and I love the columnar stagger too

Offline shensmobile

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 26 May 2019, 11:31:57 »
Hi everyone,

Just sent out the first round of updates to mailing list members and getting around to posting them to the IC thread as well.  Alex has been kind enough to offer me some space on his blog to keep track of updates as well, so if you're curious to read the full email that went out to the mailing list, check it out here: https://www.panc.co/bireme-info.html

For the cliffs notes of the latest set of updates:

• New manufacturer has been decided on.  The new price point will be $300.
  • A 5mm aluminum plate will be offered by default.  A brass plate option will be available for an additional $50.
  • TRRS jack will not make it to the final PCB.  There isn't enough space to conveniently/nicely place the TRRS jack with the amount of electronics I need to have on the edges of the board.  The Bireme has enough design overkill that should make the need of TRRS unnecessary.
  • Left side PCB is finished, working on the right side PCB now.
  • The electronics for the Bireme will feature something... different.  I am going to prototype and test some organic "topographic" traces instead of the typical 45 degree traces.  The Bireme is a cramped hot mess and the organic traces give me more flexibility and honestly I've always wanted to try it.  Here's a sneak preview of what it looks like.
219950-0

There's a few points up for discussion right now as well.  First, we've been discussing moving to Costar stabilizers.  Partially as a way to harken back to the OG 'dox, but also because as I've become more involved with keeb life, the more I've noticed that we go out of our way to make Cherry stabilizers smoother and quieter.  While I too hated Costar after fiddling with the inserts and wire on my Ergodox Infinity, once they were on, they didn't have any issues with rattle or feel.  Costar alleviates some other issues as well, such as requiring no additional footprint on the PCB, needing less clearance milled out of the 5mm plate, and much easier maintenance since everything is exposed topside.  What're your thoughts on Costar vs Cherry these days?  Is it a deal breaker to you?

Second, there was some discussion around the thumb cluster.  Since the switches had to be rotated 90 degrees, there is some concern that the thick side of the stem would insert into the thin side of the mount on a keycap.  It wouldn't be as disastrous as the extra thicc box switches, but it's still not ideal.  I didn't think anything of it at first, since some other split ergo keyboards have their thumb switches the wrong way (Ergodash comes to mind) and there have been no complaints.  The only way to solve for this is to have a single thumb cluster layout.  The rotation was necessary because otherwise the switches could not clip into a universal plate.  If there is enough concern, I could look into rotating switches, but honestly now that the PCB is done, I sort of don't want to touch the layout anymore, but there is always still time to make changes.

Lastly, the low cost option will be scaled back due to time.  I do not have the bandwidth to design a second wired PCB and also run a separate GB to get them pre-populated.  In the long term, I am committed to providing a pro-micro based PCB for those who like the layout and don't mind DIYing it at home.  It will come with all files necessary to 3d print or cut an acrylic case, but I'm just burning out on keyboard stuff and startup life.  ****'s tough.  During the GB, I will be releasing STLs of the case for people to 3d print.  The case has been designed to be easily printable.  I'm hoping that this will prove to be a worthwhile cost cutting option for those interested in the Bireme but can't afford to get in on the GB.  I will offer 5mm plates seperately to those interested so that they can still have a hefty, solid feeling keyboard, just with a 3d printed exterior.  I was exploring the idea of a layer case option as well, but most people seem to prefer to 3d print their own so far.

Offline scoopbb

« Reply #19 on: Sun, 26 May 2019, 21:15:07 »
looks really neat. felt like i just took a standardized test with all the questions in the IC. brain hurts from reading and **** lol.

Offline shensmobile

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 27 May 2019, 19:57:16 »
looks really neat. felt like i just took a standardized test with all the questions in the IC. brain hurts from reading and **** lol.

People that work with me know that I am nothing if not thorough.  Thank you for taking the time to fill out the IC survey!  I'm hoping that sharing all the details help people get some insight into what designing a keyboard is like.  I also hope it inspires some people to try their own things too.

Offline nguyenhimself

[IC] Bireme - A Wireless Ergodox-inspired Split Keyboard
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 29 May 2019, 11:07:46 »
Can’t say I’m 100% happy with the $300+ price tag, but a Bluetooth-with-no-receiver split ergo has been a white whale of mine for such a long time, I would definitely join this.

That said, even though I know next to nothing about electronics, I have to ask: What about powering the Bluetooth module with AA batteries? Too much extra work?

I’m just rather spoiled by my HHKB BT and Varmilo VB21M, both wireless and powered by AA batteries. It’s been months since I last had to replace those batteries, and at negligible cost too.

Offline shensmobile

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 30 May 2019, 10:32:50 »
Can’t say I’m 100% happy with the $300+ price tag, but a Bluetooth-with-no-receiver split ergo has been a white whale of mine for such a long time, I would definitely join this.

That said, even though I know next to nothing about electronics, I have to ask: What about powering the Bluetooth module with AA batteries? Too much extra work?

I’m just rather spoiled by my HHKB BT and Varmilo VB21M, both wireless and powered by AA batteries. It’s been months since I last had to replace those batteries, and at negligible cost too.

I know the price is a bit much to swallow, but I can't think of any other split metal keyboard (even without wireless/hotswap/5mm plate) that were less than $300.  There's always the option to 3d print your case and just order the electronics.  If that is the case, you could even modify my case design to use AA batteries instead! 

As for why not AA batteries, I actually wanted to go with AAA batteries at the start but there's no room in the case.  You would have to bring back the giant Ergodox forehead to fit in traditional batteries and I want to keep it smaller/slimmer.  I went through quite a bit of headache to achieve that actually, including a full redesign of the PCB and electronics!

Trust me, I am incredibly price conscious too.  I don't want anyone thinking I'm "taking them for a ride."  Keyboards are a passion project for me and I'm trying my hardest to give back to the same community that I've taken so much inspiration from.  If I can find more ways to lower the price, I will, but I won't sacrifice the quality or feature set to get there. 

Offline peggisan

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 30 May 2019, 15:30:12 »
How is the wired fallback going to work now that trrs isnt a thing anymore? Are we going to have to plug the 2 sides in separately?
Kinda disappointing that it got cut since I was only planning on using it wired.

Offline shensmobile

« Reply #24 on: Thu, 30 May 2019, 16:39:47 »
How is the wired fallback going to work now that trrs isnt a thing anymore? Are we going to have to plug the 2 sides in separately?
Kinda disappointing that it got cut since I was only planning on using it wired.

If you plug in one side, the other side will communicate wirelessly with it.  Basically, they daisy chain.  This will let you use the Bireme in BIOS for example. 

I'm sorry if it won't quite work for your use case anymore.  It's impossible to please everybody, so in cases like these, I have to fall back on "designers discretion."  I think the keyboard has enough features elsewhere that losing a fully wired fallback would not "define" the keyboard with its failure to include it.  I know that's probably disappointing to hear, but I hope you get where I'm coming from.  My goal is to produce the best possible wireless Ergodox.

Edit:  Holy crap that sounded pompous.  Sorry if it came off that way, the point I was trying to get across was that I know that I can't satisfy everyone, it's an impossible task.  I'm trying my best to make the most well-rounded product but the identity of this board is that it is a wireless Ergodox, and I want to stay true to it as much as I can.  I also wanted to put the TRRS jack in but whenever I extended the PCB to put it in, it just felt very... shoehorned in.  I know it probably doesn't make sense, but when I look at how much material I have to remove from the case just to add a TRRS jack that sort of defeats the purpose of it being a wireless board, it didn't make sense.

I hope that one day I can run a Bireme R2 where I've sorted out the kinks in manufacturing and can offer a proper wired model where the case is designed with a 2nd port in mind.   
« Last Edit: Thu, 30 May 2019, 19:57:54 by shensmobile »

Offline OkKarma

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 03 June 2019, 17:10:58 »
You didn't sound pompous. No TRRS cable is fine and good. It is literally not needed at all, and makes the product seem even more premium in its nature and implementation.  :)

Offline jebbra

• jebbra.net
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 04 June 2019, 22:20:35 »
Great idea shens! While my unigo66 still not in my hand, I never personally typed on a columnar stagger before so this piqued my interest a lot.

Offline gecruz

« Reply #27 on: Tue, 11 June 2019, 23:04:20 »
How about polycarb case?

Offline shensmobile

« Reply #28 on: Mon, 24 June 2019, 10:17:16 »
How about polycarb case?

Polycarb would actually be ideal, although there is major concern with cracking/thin spots around the threaded holes.  I'd have to find threaded M3 inserts, and it would have to hit its own 50 MOQ because it's a different fabrication process.

Great idea shens! While my unigo66 still not in my hand, I never personally typed on a columnar stagger before so this piqued my interest a lot.

Columnar stagger is definitely a great feel.  You should grab a Corne to give it a shot, it's a great columnar stagger board on a budget :)

You didn't sound pompous. No TRRS cable is fine and good. It is literally not needed at all, and makes the product seem even more premium in its nature and implementation.  :)

Thanks man!  That's exactly what I'm going for.  If people want a wired Bireme, that should happen as a separate keyboard.  There's no point to make people pay for features they don't use.  A wired Bireme would be thinner, cheaper, and constructed differently anyway.

Offline shensmobile

« Reply #29 on: Mon, 24 June 2019, 10:45:13 »
Sorry for the double post, I wanted to seperate out the update from replies to other posts in the thread.  It's been a while since I've been able to post but I promise that's because I've been working on the Bireme :)

Updates:

• PCB has been completely redesigned.  Will feature a seperate PCB for the switches and a daughter board that contains the electronics.
  • Minor changes to the case have been made to accomodate tented bottom and new layer-status LEDs.
  • Prototype printed in my workshop and the case design is now frozen. What you see here is 90% likely what gets produced!
  • Battery has been chosen!  3000 mAh battery which should last well beyond a year per charge.
  • PCB has been ordered as well!

To-do:
  • Compile and test firmware (for real this time)
  • Order parts for populating prototype PCBs
  • Continue looking for a manufacturer for tented bottoms

And if you're interested in the finer details:

Case Design

The overall case design language has not changed.  A few minor changes were made in an attempt to make it feel sleeker, easier to mount bottoms, and accommodate some of the new electronics.  To this end, here's a list of what was changed:
  • Increased the chamfer around the top outer edge to 2mm, up from 1mm
  • Added a 1mm chamfer around the bottom edge so it's less sharp
  • Reduced gap between bezel and keycaps
  • Increased thickness of the case by ~1mm to accomodate battery and possible thermal expansion
  • Added 3 LED holes to the inner bezel
  • Added USB port hole (flush to the case)
  • Bottom mount screws changed from M3 to M2
  • Added corner relief to the plate switch cutouts so Kailh switches insert more smoothly

And to show what all that looks like in motion, here's the latest printed proto:
221685-0221687-1221689-2

The images are actually of a case that's one minor revision behind (missing the bottom chamfer and still using M3 screws for the bottom) but it shows what everything *should* look like when it all comes together. 

The LEDs will be in the bezel next to the top right most switch.  I've always been a huge fan of the LED indicators on the Uniqey C70 and figured that with the large bezels, we could do something similar.  I think here they're out of the way and don't stand out, whereas if I had put the LEDs up at the top of the case, they'd be front and center since they broke up that otherwise large, smooth surface.

The USB port hole isn't shown in the images above, but here's a quick render of where I decided it will go:
221691-3

There was some discussion about putting it in a recession so that it's hidden away, but there's something really nice about a flush, smooth port that makes me feel like it belongs.  The case will hug the USB port quite tightly and it will be flush to the surface of the case.  If you're curious what a recessed port would look like, I also rendered it:
221693-4

I could definitely do a lot to make the recession look better (looking at it now, the recession could be more rounded, possibly following the curves of the USB port), but I think the flush port looks amazing.

The bottom mounting screws were moved from M3 to M2 due to a few issues.  First, with the acrylic bottom, countersinking for M3 would leave the acrylic very weak and crack prone.  The issue there is that you end up having ugly exposed heads.  Going down to M2 allows me to countersink and hide the screw heads better.  Secondly, for the tented bottom, M3 takes up so much space that the corners of the tented foot are very very thin (since the M3 screw heads are almost the radius of the corners).  By going down to M2, it makes the tenting feet much easier to fabricate and attach.

As for the tenting itself, the foot present here is a 5 degree foot.  I have files for a 10 degree foot too.  My plan is to offer these 3d printed with an SLA printer to produce a high quality bottoms to match the tops.  I got quotes for machined bottoms made of polycarbonate (plastic over metal because of signal propagation) but the bottoms would have cost more than the case and plate combined.  With SLA printed parts, there is no MOQ so for people interested in a high quality tenting kit, that's an option, or I can print them on my printer and while they'll be lower cost and quality, you can get a feel for what tenting feels like and order an SLA printed tenting kit for yourself in the future.  I'm looking for an affordable supplier of SLA printing still, but the best quote I have so far would be $50 for the two tented feet.

And finally, for the low cost version, the overwhelming majority of you voted for 3d printed over acrylic.  That's really really easy for me because the Bireme files were designed from the ground up to be easily 3d printed (no supports, reasonably large surface area to prevent lifting on unheated beds).  The STLs for the files will be released prior to the GB so you can print them for yourself at the local library or school or if you have your own printer.  If you like the layout, you can either grab a PCB alone or get a metal plate to help add some heft to your case. I can say right now though that even the 3d printed plate is very rigid and feels great to type on.

PCB

The PCB was completely redesigned, again.  When I started to lay the traces for the right hand side PCB (only the left hand side was done at the time of update #1), I realized that the positioning of the wireless module was so tight that I had to move it on the other half, and flipping all the chips meant I had to completely rethink how things were laid out for the other side.  I realized if I was gonna re-layout the PCB again from scratch,  I figured I might as well put everything on a daughter board that I can layout once and works for both sides.  It also solves all the problems with the long USB traces and having to run power from the USB port to the battery which were on opposite sides of the massive board due to space constraints.  It wasn't elegant and I hated it.

The daughter board has been reviewed by my colleagues and I've gotten the OK to produce.  I'm still mulling over some minor things (such as if the port should be recessed or not) before I pull the trigger, but it's definitely happening this week.

Again, if you want to give me some feedback about where to proceed from here, I'd really appreciate if you could fill out this short survey: https://forms.gle/t8sXabMtYtr5KXbP6

Thank you for your time everyone!

Offline jefferai

« Reply #30 on: Thu, 27 June 2019, 15:57:52 »
This looks amazing. Following with great interest.

Offline equalunique

« Reply #31 on: Mon, 01 July 2019, 00:27:08 »
Thank you for all the detailed email updates.

There are so many things about this design to appreciate.

One thing I have wanted for a long time is a split ergo keyboard that could switch wirelessly between multiple devices at the same time. With QMK, switching between the wired and the bluetooth-connected devices is one possibility. I would really like it if there was a way to switch this between multiple bluetooth devices, but am interested none the less.

Offline harlekein

« Reply #32 on: Mon, 01 July 2019, 07:07:59 »

that's the best part

• The thumb cluster was too large, unwieldy, and mostly useless

Offline scoopbb

« Reply #33 on: Thu, 11 July 2019, 23:49:04 »
any chance you wanna do brass plate by default instead of an addon?

Offline shensmobile

« Reply #34 on: Tue, 16 July 2019, 00:42:40 »
any chance you wanna do brass plate by default instead of an addon?

Unfortunately I don't think it's worth it to do brass over aluminum by default here.  Aluminum will already be very hefty at 5mm, and I don't think enough people care enough about brass to justify forcing everyone to pay.  The survey results weren't supportive enough of it at least.  I've also never typed on 5mm brass vs 5mm aluminum so I have no idea what the differences will actually be :(

Offline breusch91

• * Maker
« Reply #35 on: Tue, 16 July 2019, 16:28:01 »
Ive been waiting on an end game ergodox case but not sure if i'll be joining. I like that you stuck with the column stagger, that was one of the reasons I backed out of the Unigo66. I could live without some of the 1u keys around the thumb cluster being gone, I just wish it would have been left in its normal spot.  I'd say the two biggest things holding me back are the fact that theres no Alu bottom for it, and the fall back on a trrs jack for the wired version is a terrible idea and I highly recommend you change to usb-c.

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #36 on: Tue, 16 July 2019, 20:29:02 »
I think you're being a bit harsh here - esp. rhetoric. Shen has valid reasons for designing this board the way he did, but instead of speaking for him, I'll let him explain.

Offline shensmobile

« Reply #37 on: Wed, 17 July 2019, 18:35:16 »
Ive been waiting on an end game ergodox case but not sure if i'll be joining. I like that you stuck with the column stagger, that was one of the reasons I backed out of the Unigo66. I could live without some of the 1u keys around the thumb cluster being gone, I just wish it would have been left in its normal spot.  I'd say the two biggest things holding me back are the fact that theres no Alu bottom for it, and the fall back on a trrs jack for the wired version is a terrible idea and I highly recommend you change to usb-c.

Totally understood.  I don't blame you at all for your feelings, I know that the thumb cluster is very divisive among members of the ergo community.  I feel like if I please one group, I end up alienating another.  I had to choose something though, otherwise I'd be at the design phase forever!

The acrylic bottom has been replaced with an aluminum/steel bottom.  I have changed the design in a few ways to accomodate for some other design faults of the original case.  The case will be tented by default at 3 degrees from left to right (no front to back tilt).  Previously I had built in an extra 4mm of thickness throughout the entire board to fit a battery.  By tenting by default (even a minimal 3 degree tent), I can keep the outside of the keyboard as low as physically possible, and still have space to fit a large battery on the tented side.  To allow wireless signal to escape, the inner edge (the higher side) will have a small nylon/plastic window to let signal escape.

Here's the latest render: https://imgur.com/a/q7jZQpJ

Wired fallback has been entirely removed actually.  I don't see a use case for either TRRS jack or USB-C except for people who want to use this as a wired keyboard, and that doesn't make sense to me because you're paying so much extra for the wireless/electronics features.  I'd rather just make a wired Bireme one day!

I think you're being a bit harsh here - esp. rhetoric. Shen has valid reasons for designing this board the way he did, but instead of speaking for him, I'll let him explain.

Thanks!  There isn't such thing as a perfect keyboard for everybody.  All we can do is try our best to create the board we envision and hope that people want to partake. 

Offline uood5

« Reply #38 on: Thu, 18 July 2019, 04:46:50 »
This board continues to frustrate me in that it has everything my unigo66 was lacking, meaning I'll have to buy it >:(

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Offline shensmobile

« Reply #39 on: Fri, 19 July 2019, 12:22:28 »
This board continues to frustrate me in that it has everything my unigo66 was lacking, meaning I'll have to buy it >:(

I'm doing my best to make it affordable :)

Offline Zephyraeon

« Reply #40 on: Fri, 19 July 2019, 17:32:31 »
Is there any chance for tenting leg mounts instead of the 3d printed base? I like the legs because they allow for more tenting options and people could just buy them from ergodox if they wanted them.

Offline UnknownTheKnown

« Reply #41 on: Thu, 25 July 2019, 03:16:56 »
I see there were renders with a recessed USB-C port at one point but I also saw this comment.
Wired fallback has been entirely removed actually.  I don't see a use case for either TRRS jack or USB-C

Is it safe to assume there is no USB port to charge the battery? What type of adapter will be required to charge the battery once it's removed from the keyboard?

If there is a USB port integrated into the case for the only purpose being the battery, I think that's a use case for it also providing wired fallback. I don't know what the wired fallback requirements on the PCB is though versus just having it only charge the battery.

« Last Edit: Thu, 25 July 2019, 03:29:41 by UnknownTheKnown »

Offline shensmobile

« Reply #42 on: Thu, 25 July 2019, 06:20:44 »
I see there were renders with a recessed USB-C port at one point but I also saw this comment.
Wired fallback has been entirely removed actually.  I don't see a use case for either TRRS jack or USB-C

Is it safe to assume there is no USB port to charge the battery? What type of adapter will be required to charge the battery once it's removed from the keyboard?

If there is a USB port integrated into the case for the only purpose being the battery, I think that's a use case for it also providing wired fallback. I don't know what the wired fallback requirements on the PCB is though versus just having it only charge the battery.

There is still a USB-C port for charging the battery. The issue with wired fallback is that you would need 2 ports per side. One for connecting to the computer, one for connecting to the other side. To be honest, if I could do 0 ports at all, that would be my preference, but charging the battery this way is much nicer. What would be the advantage to having wired fallback? I just don’t see the point.

Is there any chance for tenting leg mounts instead of the 3d printed base? I like the legs because they allow for more tenting options and people could just buy them from ergodox if they wanted them.

I need to update the main post, but the newest design of the case will be 3 degrees tented left-right. This is to allow for space to put a battery in while keeping the keyboard as slim as possible. There will no longer be a 3D printed tenting bottom.

Offline uood5

« Reply #43 on: Thu, 25 July 2019, 06:32:38 »
To be honest, if I could do 0 ports at all, that would be my preference, but charging the battery this way is much nicer. What would be the advantage to having wired fallback? I just don’t see the point.

Better latency for stuff that needs it (gaming), or the possibility of using it with two computers at once with wired/wireless switching. Also to me it seems kinda dumb to have a port on the board that is just used for charging, especially something like USB-C. If the hardware is there you may as well utilise it as best you can.

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #44 on: Thu, 25 July 2019, 11:16:22 »
To be honest, if I could do 0 ports at all, that would be my preference, but charging the battery this way is much nicer. What would be the advantage to having wired fallback? I just don’t see the point.

Better latency for stuff that needs it (gaming), or the possibility of using it with two computers at once with wired/wireless switching. Also to me it seems kinda dumb to have a port on the board that is just used for charging, especially something like USB-C. If the hardware is there you may as well utilise it as best you can.

If gaming is the main reason for wired connectivity, you would only need to have the left half working too. Now, this wouldn't work for all games but could work well for a majority of them, especially now that communicating over a mic and headphones is so prevalent.

Offline uood5

« Reply #45 on: Fri, 26 July 2019, 04:29:31 »

If gaming is the main reason for wired connectivity, you would only need to have the left half working too. Now, this wouldn't work for all games but could work well for a majority of them, especially now that communicating over a mic and headphones is so prevalent.
But the issue still remains of having a USB-C port on the right half that's not used to its full potential. Maybe its possible to have both halves plug into a central USB "hub" that plugs into the computer, if cutting down on ports is the designers goal?

Another thing that I wanted from the unigo66 that didn't make the final cut: is there any chance of rotary encoder support in the thumb cluster?

Offline FFevo

« Reply #46 on: Tue, 13 August 2019, 19:30:53 »

But the issue still remains of having a USB-C port on the right half that's not used to its full potential. Maybe its possible to have both halves plug into a central USB "hub" that plugs into the computer, if cutting down on ports is the designers goal?

Another thing that I wanted from the unigo66 that didn't make the final cut: is there any chance of rotary encoder support in the thumb cluster?

Speaking of the Unigo66, if this board used a 2.4gz dongle instead of Bluetooth latency wouldn't be a problem (even for gaming). 

Offline shensmobile

« Reply #47 on: Thu, 22 August 2019, 22:46:27 »
Sorry I haven't been more involved in this thread.  I know there are at least a few people watching with interest, so I want people to know that I'm still feverishly working on this.  I'm running through different design options and case configurations and PCB layouts every day. 

In my last newsletter, I mentioned that discussion will move to my new Discord channel.  I find it easier to respond to people there than trying to split attention between GH and Reddit, especially since this thread gets pushed down due to how many more popular ICs there are.  For anybody who wants to be involved on a daily basis, or just wants to talk directly to me about features, please join my joint Discord channel with Alex here: https://discord.gg/tbecpmT

I haven't gotten around to posting the latest update from my newsletter so here's a recap:

The response for the new tented case design is overwhelmingly positive, so we will definitely be moving forward with this design.  I have also spoken with the manufacturer and the new case will not cost any more to machine, so we're good on that front as well!  There may be a small added cost from now having a solid steel floor, but we can absorb that on our end.  The new case design has opened up some potential new options though for the electronics.

I've been typing on my UniGo66 for 2 weeks now and it's made me think about what defines the Bireme.  The core identity of the Bireme, to me, is that it's a wireless split ergonomic keyboard, and the design should center around that ethos first and foremost.  To that end, from the mechanical perspective:

• The keyboard is as low to the table as possible, to eliminate the need for a wrist rest
  • The case is now tented to eliminated wrist pronation, even if it's quite subtle. 
  • Thumb cluster being moved inwards means that your hand can stay curled together a little more, like in a more natural resting state for your hand.

So from the mechanical side of things, I think that we have satisfied the "Split Ergonomic" part of my vision.  The "Wireless Split" side is where things get more complicated, and apparently it generates the most divisive discussion.  The original design started out as a fork of the Mitosis/Redox Wireless keyboards, utilizing the Receiver/Transmitter concept.  It had everything I wanted in a wireless keyboard and was easy to setup.  No need for pairing, just plug into a PC and go.  The initial design had the "forehead" at the top of the keyboard like the Ergodox EZ in order to house the coin cell battery as well as the wireless module.  In an effort to slim down the case and to differentiate it from the other wireless boards, I looked into other BT implementations.  I eventually settled on using the Rigado BMD-340 modules, which came with the benefits of having firmware that supports direct BT pairing (eliminating the receiver dongle), USB communication and charging (allowing me to use LiPo batteries).  While designing the case, I realized I would have to reduce the amount of layouts that the PCB supported for mechanical reasons, so space opened up to reposition the module.  For the IC, I was able to slim the case design down to have no extra girth.  Awesome.

Now that I've been able to use the UniGo66 for a few days, I'm finally getting a feel for what matters in a wireless keyboard and it's making me doubt the need to make the electronics so complex.  One thing that everyone here needs to know is that I'm awful at software/firmware.  Like, just ****ing worthless at it.  My strengths are in CAD and electrical design.  That's why I've had no issue with pumping out 5 revisions (I think) of the Bireme PCB, each with a completely different schematic and set of electronic features.  It's no problem to me, I enjoy doing this work, but I'm terrible at firmware so I rely on piggy backing off of others design.  That's why I started with the Mitosis design, and then pivoted to a standalone BT design when a colleague offered to share his firmware.  Unfortunately, we've hit some road bumps along the way (mostly from my end from being so neurotic about the design) and while considering the pros and cons for each, I've settled on the receiver design being the best fit for the Bireme.

The original mechanical limitations of using the Mitosis design have been solved.  The tented case gives space for more batteries and the reduced layouts on the PCB as well as the switch to a smaller BT module have allowed me to compact everything into the same slim bezel'd case as before.  My vision for the Bireme is a keyboard that has no clutter on your desk, with halves that you can freely position.  I never considered the board to be a portable keyboard, which is why it's so hard for me to rationalize the use cases people have suggested to me involving using it wired, or pairing it to multiple devices.  In fact, the unreliability of pairing BT is one of the reasons I latch strongly on to the wireless receiver design.  It's effortless and dummy proof, which is something I need.  Lastly, it's a simple design that I can rely on working, versus a QMK branch that will likely still be in its infancy (in terms of reliability) by the time this board goes to GB.  That being said, the standalone BT firmware for this module is still being developed and you are free to flash it to the PCB if you do not want to use the receiver!  Everything about this board will be open-sourced.  I'm just personally more comfortable releasing it with the intention of it using the wireless receiver.

So the last thing that's up for debate then is the USB port.  uood5 has a good point, it does seem like a waste to have a USB port that isn't utilized to its full potential.  I still honestly don't see the use case for using this keyboard as a wired board, I would much rather prefer to do a GB in the future for a wired version of the Bireme.  As I mentioned before, my personal preference is for a monolithic keyboard case.  A rock on your desk.  The corner stone of your typing experience.  To that end, I'd prefer to have no visible ports.  The prototypes I'm working on will have a CR2032 mount on the PCB, as well as a header.  I will be including a "daughterboard" that will allow the use of 2 more CR2032's to further extend shelf life of the board. It will also allow the connection of LiPo's that will have to be charged externally.  If LiPo's are the only way to get reliable, long term performance, I am prepared to re-include the USB port with a simple charging circuit. 

I know this is a lot to take in.  I hope that my logic is sound, even if you may disagree with my opinion.  I've been advised that I need to stick to my vision and make the keyboard that I set out to make.  I'm honestly getting really burnt out trying to accommodate everybody's requests and trying to make the best keyboard for everybody, which always ends up alienating someone.  This project is not fun for me anymore, so I think I need to take it back into my hands and make the keyboard that got me excited to dedicate all of my spare time to Solidworks and KiCAD.

Edit:  I don't want to end it on a down note.  Mito has been kind enough to make some ****in' kickass renders of the case for me :) Much prettier than I've been able to do myself! Take this as a sign that I'm still serious and very dedicated to make this board happen.  I just need to make sure it's a product that I'm proud to sell, and not one that makes me want to do a R2 before the GB even ends.
« Last Edit: Thu, 22 August 2019, 22:53:05 by shensmobile »

Offline KingOfMemes

« Reply #48 on: Thu, 22 August 2019, 23:05:35 »
Nice update man, I'm excited about the tenting. Alex and MiTo are my two strong dads

Offline astronavy

« Reply #49 on: Sat, 02 November 2019, 21:56:57 »
very interesting project

Offline Icypetal

« Reply #50 on: Sat, 16 November 2019, 00:14:22 »
It looks great, looking for updates  :)

Offline wantsabireme

« Reply #51 on: Fri, 10 January 2020, 08:39:43 »
Signed up specifically to say that I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on one of these!

Offline jimboytacos

« Reply #52 on: Fri, 10 January 2020, 21:26:36 »
Never knew this existed. I want one! Did I miss the GB?

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #53 on: Fri, 10 January 2020, 22:23:35 »
Never knew this existed. I want one! Did I miss the GB?

No. Shensmobile is still working on finalizing it.

Offline PotatoTM

« Reply #54 on: Sat, 11 January 2020, 00:04:11 »
Did not catch this at first! know a few coworkers that would be interested in such a board, looking forward to its progress!

Offline Koniotaur

« Reply #55 on: Sat, 11 January 2020, 04:55:11 »
Are there some chances for wired version?

Offline wantsabireme

« Reply #56 on: Sat, 18 January 2020, 06:54:18 »

I believe it has a wired mode, doesn't it?

Offline Koniotaur

« Reply #57 on: Sat, 18 January 2020, 12:48:41 »

I believe it has a wired mode, doesn't it?

Oh yeah you're right, I don't know how I skipped that part.

Is it too late to ask for support for 3x 1u in center on vertical part? (2x 1.5 is what is currently)
« Last Edit: Sat, 18 January 2020, 13:17:00 by Koniotaur »

Offline maricn

« Reply #58 on: Fri, 24 January 2020, 14:56:30 »
This hits all my buttons.

* Wireless + wired.
* Rechargeable.
* Columnar.
* Solid build.
* QMK
* ErgoDox EZ-uesque layout
* Fully split

Looking forward to GB.

Offline shensmobile

« Reply #59 on: Fri, 24 January 2020, 23:59:21 »
Hi all,

It's been such a long while since I've posted any real update.  I've been so wrapped up with the Boardrun and getting that IC and GB launched that I have not had any time to work on the Bireme.  I was also getting pretty burnt on it as I had gone through several mechanical revisions and several electronic revisions in a VERY short period of time.  In fact, I had essentially designed 2 different wireless split boards and gotten them prototyped and built.  Normally when I work on a project, I know exactly what I'm working toward, but with this, technical limitations had me going back to the drawing board every week.

However, with that said, the Boardrun is pretty much ready for GB, which frees me up to work on the Bireme again.  I have a renewed spirit and I think I have a solid vision of what the board should be.  I just wanted to post a quick update to let you all know that the board WILL be coming, I haven't given up on it, and I will have a more detailed engineering update for you shortly.

And this time, I'm not cutting any corners to the design :) Trust me when I say I'm putting my full effort into this board.

If you want real time updates as to what's going on with the board, please join the Panc x Shens discord and chat with me!  We love to discuss all things Ergo on my server, and I love your feedback.  I believe that we're making keyboards together as a community, and want as much of your feedback as possible.  Every wacky idea will be entertained :)

Offline wantsabireme

« Reply #60 on: Sun, 26 January 2020, 17:32:11 »
Hi all,

It's been such a long while since I've posted any real update.  I've been so wrapped up with the Boardrun and getting that IC and GB launched that I have not had any time to work on the Bireme.  I was also getting pretty burnt on it as I had gone through several mechanical revisions and several electronic revisions in a VERY short period of time.  In fact, I had essentially designed 2 different wireless split boards and gotten them prototyped and built.  Normally when I work on a project, I know exactly what I'm working toward, but with this, technical limitations had me going back to the drawing board every week.

However, with that said, the Boardrun is pretty much ready for GB, which frees me up to work on the Bireme again.  I have a renewed spirit and I think I have a solid vision of what the board should be.  I just wanted to post a quick update to let you all know that the board WILL be coming, I haven't given up on it, and I will have a more detailed engineering update for you shortly.

And this time, I'm not cutting any corners to the design :) Trust me when I say I'm putting my full effort into this board.

If you want real time updates as to what's going on with the board, please join the Panc x Shens discord and chat with me!  We love to discuss all things Ergo on my server, and I love your feedback.  I believe that we're making keyboards together as a community, and want as much of your feedback as possible.  Every wacky idea will be entertained :)

> Every wacky idea will be entertained :)

Can... can it have a trackball?

Offline shensmobile

« Reply #61 on: Mon, 27 January 2020, 10:53:56 »
Hi all,

> Every wacky idea will be entertained :)

Can... can it have a trackball?

I can add some extra pinouts for unused pins on the microcontroller so that you can hand wire one in for yourself :) I will add that to the to-do list!!

Offline YMwoo

« Reply #62 on: Mon, 27 January 2020, 18:24:13 »
Just wondering about two things:
  • Effective range of the wireless
  • Final decision of what type of battery used and if applicable, how to change it?

Offline Koniotaur

« Reply #63 on: Tue, 28 January 2020, 04:51:27 »
Just wondering about two things:
  • Effective range of the wireless
  • Final decision of what type of battery used and if applicable, how to change it?

"There will be a JST connector
Regardless of whatever way we go, there will be a JST connecctor"
Shensmobile once said that on the discord.

Offline gecruz

« Reply #64 on: Sun, 12 April 2020, 21:02:05 »
I'm ready for this

Offline LuKey

« Reply #65 on: Mon, 15 June 2020, 18:06:26 »
Loving the design of the Bireme, but I am worried it may never materialize.  Shensmobile, is there anything that we can do to help wrap up your excellent efforts on this? As much as I would like to see adjustable tent angles and wired options and so on, the thing that I need most is a truly ergonomic keyboard layout. The layout you have planned looks terrific. I don't mind figuring out what I need to do for wrist pads or angled supports for tenting at steeper angles and whatever else I want to try with it.

Offline 4Holo

« Reply #66 on: Mon, 20 July 2020, 13:01:49 »
waiting on this project! any news?

Offline ryukomatoi

« Reply #67 on: Mon, 20 July 2020, 15:16:16 »

Yeah, I'm hoping for news as well. This is a very interesting project but from what I have learned from other wireless split ergo builders is that Bluetooth and QMK does not get along very well (latency, flashing issues, etc). I have ordered a split wireless ergo from Southpaw Designs which uses a USB receiver instead which eliminates these issues.

If this project were to keep going, I'd love to get my hands on these. These are dream specs.

Offline 4Holo

« Reply #68 on: Mon, 20 July 2020, 20:53:50 »

Yeah, I'm hoping for news as well. This is a very interesting project but from what I have learned from other wireless split ergo builders is that Bluetooth and QMK does not get along very well (latency, flashing issues, etc). I have ordered a split wireless ergo from Southpaw Designs which uses a USB receiver instead which eliminates these issues.

same I would like to see Gasket mount on this board thought!

If this project were to keep going, I'd love to get my hands on these. These are dream specs.

Offline MdotMaxson

« Reply #69 on: Thu, 23 July 2020, 10:52:35 »
I second, or third, or tenth whatever everyone else is saying. I don’t even want a boardrun after seeing this.

Offline riterdando

« Reply #70 on: Thu, 23 July 2020, 16:22:10 »
I am also waiting for this!

Offline Zytyx

« Reply #71 on: Tue, 20 October 2020, 15:41:31 »
Rest in peace.

Offline MdotMaxson

« Reply #72 on: Sat, 24 October 2020, 02:51:26 »
Rest in peace.

Sadly sounds true. Dud board run ever happen or was shens like the only person under age 80 to die of corona

Offline callmetal

« Reply #73 on: Sat, 24 October 2020, 05:54:58 »
OP isn't dead. The project is dead.

Offline wantsabireme

« Reply #74 on: Sun, 08 November 2020, 16:54:38 »
Who says the project is dead? Where was that announced?

Offline shensmobile

« Reply #75 on: Sun, 08 November 2020, 23:54:46 »

Rest in peace.

Sadly sounds true. Dud board run ever happen or was shens like the only person under age 80 to die of corona

Hi all,

Yes I unfortunately have to step away from this project.  Since most of the discussion is done on Discord (I rarely ever visit GH), I forgot to make an update here.

The gist of it is that my work life is burning me out.  I'm exhausted every day after work and the difficulties with the Bireme (have never been able to be happy with it.. always something wrong that makes me second guess if it's ready for prime time) have actually made me back off from doing keyboard projects entirely.  The Boardwalk and Boardrun are where I'll draw my legacy in the keyboard community.

To be honest, I'll probably tackle the Bireme again, but only once we have a stable implementation of Bluetooth with QMK.  I've never been a Firmware guy so I've been working with others and our dev cycles never sync'd up.  It was stressful not knowing if my hardware would work properly and the dev costs were starting to add up.  I have 4 or 5 technically functioning prototype PCBs here (both receiver based and standalone BT implementation), but without a firmware that I'm 100% confident in, I don't want to push this board out.

Anyway, I'm sorry to all of those who were interested in the board.  I feel crappy that I have to put the project to rest but I'd rather tell people than leave them unknowing.  I honestly didn't think anybody even cared about it anymore on here so I didn't think to update.  That's my fault, sorry everyone.    I'm not sure how to get the mods attention, but it would be great if someone could close this thread.  I will be re-making it when I'm ready to take another run at it!

Offline wantsabireme

« Reply #76 on: Sun, 17 October 2021, 17:15:37 »

Rest in peace.

Hi all,

Yes I unfortunately have to step away from this project.  Since most of the discussion is done on Discord (I rarely ever visit GH), I forgot to make an update here.

The gist of it is that my work life is burning me out.  I'm exhausted every day after work and the difficulties with the Bireme (have never been able to be happy with it.. always something wrong that makes me second guess if it's ready for prime time) have actually made me back off from doing keyboard projects entirely.  The Boardwalk and Boardrun are where I'll draw my legacy in the keyboard community.

To be honest, I'll probably tackle the Bireme again, but only once we have a stable implementation of Bluetooth with QMK.  I've never been a Firmware guy so I've been working with others and our dev cycles never sync'd up.  It was stressful not knowing if my hardware would work properly and the dev costs were starting to add up.  I have 4 or 5 technically functioning prototype PCBs here (both receiver based and standalone BT implementation), but without a firmware that I'm 100% confident in, I don't want to push this board out.

Anyway, I'm sorry to all of those who were interested in the board.  I feel crappy that I have to put the project to rest but I'd rather tell people than leave them unknowing.  I honestly didn't think anybody even cared about it anymore on here so I didn't think to update.  That's my fault, sorry everyone.    I'm not sure how to get the mods attention, but it would be great if someone could close this thread.  I will be re-making it when I'm ready to take another run at it!

Really sorry to hear that, but I understand. I'm very excited to hear from you again.