Author Topic: Bottom row for TypeMatrix-like layout ?  (Read 8621 times)

Offline plut0nium

Bottom row for TypeMatrix-like layout ?
« on: Mon, 02 September 2019, 09:48:30 »
Hi GH

I am currently thinking about building a custom TypeMatrix-like ortholinear keyboard, and I am a bit stuck about the layout of the bottom row: should I follow the ortho-way and stay with 1u/2u caps, or should I allow some 1.5u caps in this case ?

Personally, I think the classic keys would suffice (Ctrl - Super - Alt // AltGr - Super - Menu - Ctrl) and therefore using 1.5u's, but I find it ugly :(
On the other hand, if I go with only 1u (plus 2u's for the spacebar) I can't figure out what keys to assign: home/end, or should I try to squeeze in a directional pad ?

What do you think ?
225546-0

Offline 4sStylZ

Re: Bottom row for TypeMatrix-like layout ?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 02 September 2019, 14:22:45 »
Hi,

Your project can be considered different of mine but there is some relation.

Here is some renders with keyboard layout editor.

The bottom size need to have big keys for use them with the palm. Also I love the position of the fn / right ctrl key on my render for use them without moving my hands.
Bépo user here : AEK64 White linear dampened, XD75 Cherry Blue Jailhoused, TypeMatrix2030 black skin, Lenovo 0B47200 w/ trackpoint, G13, G512. Kensington Expert Trackball & Orbit, Magic touchpad 2.

Offline macroxue

• Darknight: DIY 60% Split Keyboard
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 02 September 2019, 20:38:40 »
You could remove one column from the right side and move a few keys to the bottom row. Here is what I did.

[Darknight: DIY 60% Split Keyboard](https://github.com/macroxue/keyboard-diy)

Offline nevin

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 03 September 2019, 00:11:27 »
You can make up the bottom row however you like. Especially when going with alternate layouts, "looks" are usually the least of the concerns. It's definitely more about functionality, comfort and creating something that doesn't exist in the wild yet (even if it is a minor change over what's currently available).

Look into function layers, you can add all your secondary navigation (home, pgup, etc) on a layer so they don't need a dedicated key. Take a look at 4sStylZ layout as well as what macroxue has put together as far as Fn layers.

One added bonus about going ortho... it makes it super easy to add a number pad on a layer.

You can see on the example below... bunch of bottom row options. (1.5 mods are not as common as 1.25 mods) especially if you are hoping legends to match. i also put in two Fn layers to show examples.
225588-0

And this is the layout i run on my Keeb.io Viterbi (the rev.1's had an option for 1.25 modifiers)
225590-1
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 September 2019, 05:51:17 by nevin »
Keeb.io Viterbi, Apple m0110, Apple m0120, Apple m0110a, Apple 658-4081, Apple M1242, Apple AEK II, MK96, GH60/Pure, Cherry g84-4100, Adesso AKP-220B, Magicforce 68

Offline plut0nium

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 03 September 2019, 01:53:52 »
Thank you very much for your answers...
(ou Merci, car j'ai vu un utilisateur BÉPO ;))

@nevin: I only have access to 1.0, 1.5 and 2.0u caps, no 1.25u, and these will be blank, so no problem of matching legends
but I really like your option of going ortho with layers for a keypad and navigation keys and will probably try this at first.
Because I plan to make a PCB, I could try to allow several layout options for this row... I'll see ;D

Offline nevin

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 03 September 2019, 05:52:21 »
Another popular thing that got started when the 60%s were created was dropping the F-row and using Fn + 1 = F1, Fn + 2 = F2, etc. Like my viterbi layout and macroxue's layout. It's totally up to you, of course, but it's another way to get a row of keys closer with less hand movement/strain. I use this combination to get Fkeys and do a ton of shortcuts all day long that require Fkeys and it works great.
225598-0

Keep us posted on your progress. Cheers.
Keeb.io Viterbi, Apple m0110, Apple m0120, Apple m0110a, Apple 658-4081, Apple M1242, Apple AEK II, MK96, GH60/Pure, Cherry g84-4100, Adesso AKP-220B, Magicforce 68

Offline plut0nium

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 03 September 2019, 06:51:49 »
@nevin: Sure, this is clearly an option I am looking at... having a whole row of keys dedicated to a single function is puzzling me.
And for this first prototyping run, this will allow to reduce the costs.

A few weeks ago, my first questioning was about going 1800 or TKL... and I am now reaching the 60-smthg-%  ;D