Author Topic: [IC] Evolv | A four year journey complete  (Read 397398 times)

Offline ephemeral25

Re: [IC] Evolv - 75% Keyboard | Prototype Production Complete
« Reply #300 on: Thu, 02 April 2020, 08:39:51 »
I hope to see a price around 800$.

And I will still ahve to pays customs and VAT after that lol. The design is so unique I am willing to put 1 month of apprenticeship into it.

Good luck with next steps !

Offline mckeown1504

« Reply #301 on: Thu, 02 April 2020, 12:47:56 »
Looks very nice can’t wait

Offline Dexter

« Reply #302 on: Thu, 02 April 2020, 15:33:30 »
This is going to cost me a small fortune but I’m okay with that.

Offline lysergic acid

« Reply #303 on: Thu, 02 April 2020, 15:45:29 »
will the top portion be made in the same fashion as the base?

Offline NathanAlphaMan

« Reply #304 on: Thu, 02 April 2020, 16:55:06 »
will the top portion be made in the same fashion as the base?

No. The top is machined out of 7075 Aluminum

Offline Zion_4eb

« Reply #305 on: Thu, 02 April 2020, 18:49:29 »
This is Amazing! I now can't decide if I should wait for this or get the 7V. Doing both would be awesome but a big hit on my wallet. Will definitely follow this tho. :)

Offline jooobe

« Reply #306 on: Thu, 02 April 2020, 20:19:57 »
who needs both kidneys anyway

Offline h33t

« Reply #307 on: Fri, 03 April 2020, 18:30:51 »
Can the rotary knob be used as a volume knob as well?

Offline NathanAlphaMan

« Reply #308 on: Fri, 03 April 2020, 21:11:56 »
Hopefully, yes. I'm pretty sure that's already a feature in QMK, but someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Offline Module

« Reply #309 on: Sat, 04 April 2020, 10:00:52 »
Looks stunning, hope I can get in on this.

Offline CrazyAssMonkey

« Reply #310 on: Sat, 04 April 2020, 10:31:35 »
Looks stunning, hope I can get in on this.

Man you really are gonna blow through your stimulus check at this rate.  :eek: :thumb:
You've gone in on every post I see.

Offline Kallus

« Reply #311 on: Sat, 04 April 2020, 14:21:16 »
One thing that i see as a possibility when it comes to the design of multiple plate is that you can use the same constraints and general method but play around with which parts that you don't want the software to change. The downside to this of course is that you would have to make different programs to run on the CNC machine. But i guess this price is minimized if you were to use another type of mounting than an integrated plate.

The keyboard looks absolutely amazing and i love the design and the concept behind it.

Offline migrained

« Reply #312 on: Sat, 04 April 2020, 15:58:25 »
interesting design.. following!

Offline NathanAlphaMan

« Reply #313 on: Sun, 05 April 2020, 00:41:15 »
One thing that i see as a possibility when it comes to the design of multiple plate is that you can use the same constraints and general method but play around with which parts that you don't want the software to change. The downside to this of course is that you would have to make different programs to run on the CNC machine. But i guess this price is minimized if you were to use another type of mounting than an integrated plate.

The keyboard looks absolutely amazing and i love the design and the concept behind it.

Not a direct response to your comment, but with the help of a few others, I've managed to get good results on plates with multiple layout options. While it needs physical testing, the current version of the Evolv model has support for stepped caps and split backspace.

Offline Kallus

« Reply #314 on: Sun, 05 April 2020, 09:34:03 »

Not a direct response to your comment, but with the help of a few others, I've managed to get good results on plates with multiple layout options. While it needs physical testing, the current version of the Evolv model has support for stepped caps and split backspace.

That sounds awesome

Offline Meowsaur

• I don't like that.
« Reply #315 on: Sun, 05 April 2020, 11:28:15 »
Bloody cosmic, this is.
Really looking forward to seeing the prototype.

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #316 on: Sun, 05 April 2020, 12:15:58 »
Glad to see split Backspace support on this. Keep up the good work!

Offline NathanAlphaMan

« Reply #317 on: Sun, 05 April 2020, 20:46:06 »
Glad to see split Backspace support on this. Keep up the good work!

Not going to open an official poll or anything, but what other potential layouts would people be interested in seeing?

1) I've considered split space bars as a potential layout addition, but have received mixed reviews from people I've shown it too:

2) ISO is unlikely to happen, I've been working on it, but the geometry of the key is pretty complicated to incorporate with the constraints I have.

3) Despite that, would there still be interest in a split right shift?

Offline Daneel_

« Reply #318 on: Sun, 05 April 2020, 22:09:13 »
I'd be very interested in 3x 1.25u keys on the bottom left instead of 1.5, 1, 1.5.  A 1.25 or 1u shift on the right would be interesting too, although I appreciate that it makes for uneven spacing between the shift and arrow block.

Stepped caps is solid gold for me.  Thank you!  That split space option would also be very interesting for me since it would let me run three keys on the right of the space bar.

Offline fakedSkill

« Reply #319 on: Sun, 05 April 2020, 22:35:20 »
I'd be very interested in 3x 1.25u keys on the bottom left instead of 1.5, 1, 1.5.  A 1.25

Agree and i like the split space bars

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #320 on: Sun, 05 April 2020, 23:15:06 »
Not going to open an official poll or anything, but what other potential layouts would people be interested in seeing?

1) I've considered split space bars as a potential layout addition, but have received mixed reviews from people I've shown it too:
Show Image

2) ISO is unlikely to happen, I've been working on it, but the geometry of the key is pretty complicated to incorporate with the constraints I have.

While I do like the layout of those spacebars, I'm a bit put off by the asymmetry between the left and right bottom mods. So it's a mixed review from me too.

As for #3, I'm assuming you mean split left shift. I like to use split LShift on ANSI boards, so it would be nice to have that as an option.
« Last Edit: Sun, 05 April 2020, 23:26:11 by konstantin »

Offline NathanAlphaMan

« Reply #321 on: Mon, 06 April 2020, 00:02:07 »
I'd be very interested in 3x 1.25u keys on the bottom left instead of 1.5, 1, 1.5.  A 1.25 or 1u shift on the right would be interesting too, although I appreciate that it makes for uneven spacing between the shift and arrow block.

Stepped caps is solid gold for me.  Thank you!  That split space option would also be very interesting for me since it would let me run three keys on the right of the space bar.

I'd be very interested in 3x 1.25u keys on the bottom left instead of 1.5, 1, 1.5.  A 1.25

Agree and i like the split space bars

3x 1.25u keys won't happen, as there's no way to make the right side of the spacebar look good in that scenario. The asymmetry that results due to the split bars is the exact reason I've received mixed reviews from friends, so good to know that sentiment is echoed.

The 1.5u shift is staying, using a 1.25u shift with a larger blocker would be insanely ugly in my opinion.

Show Image

While I do like the layout of those spacebars, I'm a bit put off by the asymmetry between the left and right bottom mods. So it's a mixed review from me too.

As for #3, I'm assuming you mean split left shift. I like to use split LShift on ANSI boards, so it would be nice to have that as an option.

I do mean split left shift, that was a typo on my part, thank you for catching it!
« Last Edit: Mon, 06 April 2020, 00:17:18 by NathanAlphaMan »

Offline child

« Reply #322 on: Mon, 06 April 2020, 02:40:12 »

I prefer split space and this layout is fine with me - although there is an asymmetry, I use the mods around space bars a lot and the easier it is for my thumb to reach them the better. On the other hand a 1.25 mod between space bars (the way 6.25 space bar is often split) is useless to me, because it's very uncomfortable to reach it.

Offline NathanAlphaMan

« Reply #323 on: Mon, 06 April 2020, 03:01:39 »

I prefer split space and this layout is fine with me - although there is an asymmetry, I use the mods around space bars a lot and the easier it is for my thumb to reach them the better. On the other hand a 1.25 mod between space bars (the way 6.25 space bar is often split) is useless to me, because it's very uncomfortable to reach it.

Agreed, I personally dislike putting any key between the split spacebars as it becomes hard to reach, hence the solution I've detailed above. Thank you for the feedback!

Offline PallyP

« Reply #324 on: Mon, 06 April 2020, 03:25:31 »
This is Amazing! I now can't decide if I should wait for this or get the 7V. Doing both would be awesome but a big hit on my wallet. Will definitely follow this tho. :)

I'm also conflicted on whether to wait  :( any loose estimate on when a GB will happen?

Offline NathanAlphaMan

« Reply #325 on: Mon, 06 April 2020, 04:10:56 »

I'm also conflicted on whether to wait  :( any loose estimate on when a GB will happen?

4-5 months at the earliest, especially given the current economic situation

Offline Daneel_

« Reply #326 on: Tue, 07 April 2020, 12:11:16 »
3x 1.25u keys won't happen, as there's no way to make the right side of the spacebar look good in that scenario. The asymmetry that results due to the split bars is the exact reason I've received mixed reviews from friends, so good to know that sentiment is echoed.

Sorry - I feel like you think I’m talking about the right hand side of the board. I’m talking about the left-hand side of the board for 3x 1.25u keys. Currently you have 1.5u, 1u, 1.5u.

If this is what you mean, then I don’t quite understand your comment about symmetry, since you’ve placed two 1.25u keys on the right. Surely using 1.25u keys on the left would look more symmetrical?

I feel like the number of options for 1.25u keys is far greater. Certainly none of the sets I own provide great coverage for 1.5u bottom row keys - they’re mostly the 1.25u standard size, with some 1u thrown in too.

The spacing wouldn’t change, and you could still keep compatibility with a 1.5u, 1u, 1.5u layout too, similar to how you’ve offered regular and stepped capslock.

Thanks for replying though, and for considering others’ input on this project. I’m providing feedback because I want this board to be great too :)

Offline Daneel_

« Reply #327 on: Tue, 07 April 2020, 12:18:44 »
Two seconds after posting I’ve realised that 3x1.25u on the left is 0.25u narrower than your layout, so indeed it doesn’t work, sorry.

I feel like the layout choices you’ve made will definitely suit a set of people, while also isolating a different set. It’s a stylistic choice and I completely respect it, it just isn’t for me. Damn I hope this board goes well though! It’s so close to an ideal layout for me, and I love the trellis framing.

Thanks for your time and effort!

Offline cypis666

« Reply #328 on: Tue, 07 April 2020, 12:24:26 »
Can't wait!

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #329 on: Tue, 07 April 2020, 12:50:51 »
Two seconds after posting I’ve realised that 3x1.25u on the left is 0.25u narrower than your layout, so indeed it doesn’t work, sorry.

This. Honestly I think most people who are used to 3×1.25u won't mind 1.5u–1u–1.5u much.

Offline NathanAlphaMan

« Reply #330 on: Tue, 07 April 2020, 13:47:53 »

I feel like the layout choices you’ve made will definitely suit a set of people, while also isolating a different set. It’s a stylistic choice and I completely respect it, it just isn’t for me. Damn I hope this board goes well though! It’s so close to an ideal layout for me, and I love the trellis framing.

Thanks for your time and effort!

Yeah, that was probably my bad for oversimplifying my reasoning. Indeed, if we use 3x1.25 and 6.25u bar, it would result in a 2.75u gap that you need to fill with two keys, which isn't possible if you want those keys to be the same. The Tsangan 1.5-1-1.5 is the compromise I decided on to ensure that the right side of the spacebar didn't look strange with mismatched keys. I initially had a 1.25-1-1.25 version that could either be filled by 2x 1.5 or 3x 1u. However, I opted to keep the more commonly used stagger of Tsangan/ WKL for usability and aesthetic reasons.

Another option I explored was using a 6u bar and the standard 3x 1.25u stagger, but not only would that not fix the problem by forcing you to put 3x 1u or 2x 1.5u on the right, but it would mean an Evolv user would need to buy a spacebar kit for physical compat.

Hopefully, this explains it clearly for anybody reading through the thread later, again, I do apologize for the overly concise explanation earlier. It is not trivial to see why messing with things on the left side of the spacebar would change something on the right side unless you knew the spacebar was moving as well.

This. Honestly I think most people who are used to 3×1.25u won't mind 1.5u–1u–1.5u much.

I've personally never mis-hit a key swapping between standard and Tsangan stagger.
« Last Edit: Tue, 07 April 2020, 13:51:44 by NathanAlphaMan »

Offline TEL_Venom

« Reply #331 on: Wed, 08 April 2020, 08:57:00 »
This is incredible, can't wait

Offline Daneel_

« Reply #332 on: Wed, 08 April 2020, 10:43:49 »
Thanks, I really appreciate the comprehensive response and the consideration behind your choices.

My issues are partially with having keycaps that can be used with this layout. I don’t really have any 1.5u mods, sadly, hence why this layout doesn’t really work for me, but that’s just me.

Still think it’s a cool board, but I’ll let others pick up this beauty :D

« Reply #333 on: Wed, 08 April 2020, 11:11:02 »
Huge fan of s75 layout and this emits the same wavelength for sure. Crazy how good home pgup pgdown end look on your renders. I always wanted such layout on a custom.

Am I correct that the base kit of GMK Umbra doesn't contain the proper right shift? Would love to see a render of a black + raw with that keycap set.

Offline Pach

« Reply #334 on: Wed, 08 April 2020, 11:30:47 »
Huge fan of s75 layout and this emits the same wavelength for sure. Crazy how good home pgup pgdown end look on your renders. I always wanted such layout on a custom.

Am I correct that the base kit of GMK Umbra doesn't contain the proper right shift? Would love to see a render of a black + raw with that keycap set.
GMK Umbra does not have a 1.5u shift key.

However, I would also like to see a render on a black + raw.  :p

Offline NathanAlphaMan

« Reply #335 on: Wed, 08 April 2020, 11:46:04 »
Thanks, I really appreciate the comprehensive response and the consideration behind your choices.

My issues are partially with having keycaps that can be used with this layout. I don’t really have any 1.5u mods, sadly, hence why this layout doesn’t really work for me, but that’s just me.

Still think it’s a cool board, but I’ll let others pick up this beauty :D

Any GMK or KAT set will have at least 4x r4 1.5 mods in it for Tsangan support, since Evolv only needs three of them you should be completely fine in terms of physical compatibility. Of course, this doesn't apply to 3-4-3 profiled SA.

Offline NathanAlphaMan

Re: [IC] Evolv - 75% Keyboard | Prototype Arrived
« Reply #336 on: Wed, 08 April 2020, 14:02:15 »
Good Afternoon Geekhack!

I'm excited to announce the prototype has arrived!

It will take a few days to do a writeup on what I feel about it and design changes to come (if any). "Professional" photos will go up with the write-up, only have my phone right now and ain't nobody wanna see potato pics. Do note, I don't have the proper equipment to record a sound-test, so TBD on what I will do with that. I also don't have the PCBs in hand yet, so I won't be able to do a full build until I get them.

Thank you again for all the support so far,

- Nathan

Offline PocketAces

« Reply #337 on: Wed, 08 April 2020, 14:11:17 »
Good Afternoon Geekhack!

I'm excited to announce the prototype has arrived!

It will take a few days to do a writeup on what I feel about it and design changes to come (if any). "Professional" photos will go up with the write-up, only have my phone right now and ain't nobody wanna see potato pics. Do note, I don't have the proper equipment to record a sound-test, so TBD on what I will do with that. I also don't have the PCBs in hand yet, so I won't be able to do a full build until I get them.

Thank you again for all the support so far,

- Nathan
One step closer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline lockett

« Reply #338 on: Wed, 08 April 2020, 16:09:50 »
This is so epic!

Offline NathanAlphaMan

Re: [IC] Evolv - 75% Keyboard | First Prototype Photo
« Reply #339 on: Thu, 09 April 2020, 14:09:06 »
The first official photo is live as a teaser!

More will go live with the writeup, but I couldn't hold myself back from posting a teaser :p

Offline elDuderino

« Reply #340 on: Thu, 09 April 2020, 14:31:50 »

Show Image

More will go live with the writeup, but I couldn't hold myself back from posting a teaser :p
Oh lawd

I need it

Offline TEL_Venom

« Reply #341 on: Thu, 09 April 2020, 14:34:55 »

Show Image

Looking reaaaal good.

Offline L8T

« Reply #342 on: Thu, 09 April 2020, 14:43:37 »
Now run it over with a truck to prove us that it can support your claims :P

Offline NathanAlphaMan

« Reply #343 on: Thu, 09 April 2020, 14:56:10 »
Now run it over with a truck to prove us that it can support your claims :P

Let's wait until the PCBs arrive and I can test the board :thumb:

Offline ephemeral25

« Reply #344 on: Thu, 09 April 2020, 14:57:38 »
Will the grainy look of the 3D printed part be improved?

I guess it is hard to archieve the cleaness of the renders but this is far from it IMO

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #345 on: Thu, 09 April 2020, 15:00:30 »
Nice tease. When do we get to see more?

Offline NathanAlphaMan

« Reply #346 on: Thu, 09 April 2020, 15:06:17 »
Will the grainy look of the 3D printed part be improved?

I guess it is hard to archieve the cleaness of the renders but this is far from it IMO

When rendering, I had no clue what the bottom would look like, so I and the other renderers were just taking guesses. However, while I personally love the current grainy aesthetic, I have plans to make it smooth. More on that when my writeup of the proto goes live.

Nice tease. When do we get to see more?

Next few days as I collect my thoughts about the prototype and post the full writeup.

Offline Jaltr

« Reply #347 on: Thu, 09 April 2020, 15:11:17 »

Show Image

More will go live with the writeup, but I couldn't hold myself back from posting a teaser
Very reminiscent of the Adidas Ultraboost 4Ds! Love it to death <3

Offline OmniSzron

« Reply #348 on: Thu, 09 April 2020, 15:30:25 »
Yeah, I actually don't mind the graininess. I was afraid it might look like plastic 3D printing, with visible layers. This actually looks better than I had expected. I'm pretty stoked.
Fox Lab Key 65 split space

Offline NathanAlphaMan

« Reply #349 on: Thu, 09 April 2020, 15:37:04 »
Yeah, I actually don't mind the graininess. I was afraid it might look like plastic 3D printing, with visible layers. This actually looks better than I had expected. I'm pretty stoked.

Yeah, DLMS (metal printing) is a fundamentally different process to what you think of when you think of plastic printing (FDM). In DMLS, aluminum powder is cured at high resolution by a laser, instead of being deposited by a print head. If you want to learn more, this video explains it nicely:
In short, layer lines aren't an issue with the process, but the inherent porosity of the metal is.