Author Topic: AZERTY keycaps... Where to find  (Read 64824 times)

Offline devpm

AZERTY keycaps... Where to find
« on: Fri, 02 April 2021, 05:18:46 »
Hello everyone! I am a new mechanical keyboard enthusiast but living in Belgium I have one issue... AZERTY keyboards.

Would you know great places where I can find AZERTY keycaps?

And also please, when creating keycaps... Think about us... Poor AZERTY users. You would make our life much easier.  ;)

The latest one I saw taking care of us was 'EPBT the one' and each time is see a great keycap that match my taste... No AZERTY.

Sorry if there was an existing thread around this... But I did not find any.

And enjoy your Thock... :)

Philippe aka Toxine  ;D

Offline sefixmm

Re: AZERTY keycaps... Where to find
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 03 April 2021, 09:14:35 »
When you say AZERTY, you mean ISO Be or ISO Fr ?

Offline devpm

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 03 April 2021, 10:00:29 »
I am more in line with the BE as I am living in Belgium but even a FR one would be welcome :)

Offline sefixmm

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 03 April 2021, 11:18:50 »
A compatriot :cool:

To be honest it's almost impossible to find new sets in ISO Be or Fr (except rare exceptions like the set you quote).

So you have to try to find old Cherry keyboards to get the Alphas back.

Offline keguira

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 03 April 2021, 12:45:33 »
welcome to the hell of french customers who don't want to switch to ISO-EN or even ANSI :) I saw the same ones. There are some sets on aliexpress but not a lot. Glorious is making some ABS caps in ISO-FR but you may not like them.
Like some said on other forums : "if you  find a ISO-FR keycaps kit, buy it because you will not find another one".

As for market share, the "kit baguette" for EPBT the one did not even reach 100 units from the Group By so i understand why others are not proposing it ... Also you still can buy it if you want as I can see : it will be produced but not for more than 100 units.

An other option would be to switch to blank keycaps with some special mod to make it fancy but you may not like it.

Offline Surefoot

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 03 April 2021, 13:12:31 »
As usual in this hobby: you will need patience. Do not expect to find anything in stock, unless you are quick enough to grab extras from a group buy.
As for group buys with ISO FR (and sometimes BE) extensions: look at KAT sets, as they are PBT dye sublimated there's a lot of freedom on what kind of kit you can make, so there's usually an ISO FR kit to cater to the very few Frenchies out here. I think KAT Napoleonic had a ISO BE extension, but that's not the only one.

Offline keguira

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 03 April 2021, 14:40:22 »
have a look on interest: this kit, for example, says it will "cover most European ISO layouts". So yes: patience

Offline salgiza

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 03 April 2021, 16:46:16 »
This IC thread includes an Azerty kit. I don’t know if it will include the keycaps needed for a BE keyboard, but you might ask if it is possible to add them, if not.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=107942.200

You can ignore the Origami IC, though. I’m also a newbie in this, but I already hate how frequently I read something like “covers most European ISO layouts” or “international kit”... and then it’s just a NorDeUk kit. Which covers, what? 5 out of 44 possible EU layouts?

In addition to KAT sets, check for those that use a flat profile (such as DSA). You probably are already aware of this, but, just in case: this means that all keycaps are identical, regardless of the row that they are in. So you could rearrange the keys to make an AZERTY layout without problems and, most importantly, as there is no need to create a full AZERTY kit in order to support FR/BE layouts, the chance that they might include keycaps for your layout are higher (even if still low, I must admit).
« Last Edit: Sat, 03 April 2021, 16:49:16 by salgiza »

Offline Matchablossom

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 04 April 2021, 03:20:52 »
I'm kinda in the same boat. But for Swiss layout. I can salvage *some* keys from the usual "international" kits but by far not enough. At least I can run a QWERTZ set so I can't fathom how frustrating it must be for you AZERTY folks. But I feel you.

"Covers most EU setups" is definitely a lie lol

I was wondering this for a while. What would you think of setting up an IC for a very simple WoB or BoW GMK keyset but specifically for some International kits such as a FR/BE/CH kit. We could add more if there's interest. The kit would reach over 60 keys but with combined forces we might be able to do it? Just for *once* to have a high quality set with the legends I actually want.
A WoB set might even work for some sets that have lighter Alphas.

IDK. Just for *once* have the right set would be nice. I do not have the slightest idea how to pull that off but maybe it's worth a try?

Finding old cherry keyboards to get them just seems... idk... running old, faded, dirty caps just to have the legends I want, on a 500$ board seems bad to me.

Not to mention the comments I get from my peers.
"So you telling me this thing costs several hundred bucks but only has US layout? Really?"

The pain is real.....

Offline glibber

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 04 April 2021, 05:07:27 »
I was wondering this for a while. What would you think of setting up an IC for a very simple WoB or BoW GMK keyset but specifically for some International kits such as a FR/BE/CH kit. We could add more if there's interest. The kit would reach over 60 keys but with combined forces we might be able to do it? Just for *once* to have a high quality set with the legends I actually want.
A WoB set might even work for some sets that have lighter Alphas.

This has been tried for for a NorDe set. You can read how it went here...

I'm always looking for ISO-DE layouts, so I'm in a similar situation. Anything other than ANSI or maybe ISO-UK sometimes is just incredibly rare. There was this idea to provide a guideline/toolkit for designers to make it easier and cheaper to include ISO kits, maybe something like that is worth reviving.

Offline Matchablossom

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 04 April 2021, 06:15:25 »
This is all quite old. And involves the De kit which is very well represented if there are so called "International" kits.

I think Germany, UK, Denmark amd Swedes are very lucky to be the ones represented in those "International" kits.

I was hoping to do a french kit and add Swiss as well. Basically what is NOT represented in that one falsely called "International" kit.

Maybe it has more resonance since these languages are never covered.

I wish the GB process wouldn't be so limited and flexibility from the manufacturer would be more considerate towards other nationalities.

Offline Surefoot

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 04 April 2021, 06:34:50 »
FYI there's one Swiss layout IC for a GMK WoB/BoW: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=111202.0

Offline Matchablossom

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 04 April 2021, 06:48:34 »
!!!!

Thank you so much for linking this! Definitely interested!

Offline sefixmm

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 04 April 2021, 08:53:28 »
FYI there's one Swiss layout IC for a GMK WoB/BoW: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=111202.0

That's very cool, hope we can have the same in ISO Be and Fr :)

Offline keguira

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 04 April 2021, 14:08:35 »
found one in here : YMDK Hami Melon

But not ISO-BE, only ISO-FR. Sorry
« Last Edit: Sun, 04 April 2021, 14:13:35 by keguira »

Offline seville57

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 05 April 2021, 04:04:34 »
This is all quite old. And involves the De kit which is very well represented if there are so called "International" kits.

I think Germany, UK, Denmark amd Swedes are very lucky to be the ones represented in those "International" kits.

I was hoping to do a french kit and add Swiss as well. Basically what is NOT represented in that one falsely called "International" kit.

Maybe it has more resonance since these languages are never covered.

I wish the GB process wouldn't be so limited and flexibility from the manufacturer would be more considerate towards other nationalities.

Here in sweden we have ISO/Nordic - Swedish, Danish and Norwgien letters on some  same keycaps  Ö and Ä, and many swedes ar not happy with it, they just want the Ö and Ä in swedish letters on those keycaps. I stopped usin ISO/Nordic keyboards for some years ago and are only usin ANSI keyboards. It is a hell here in Sweden to find good lookin ISO/Nordic keycaps sets.

Swedish site with ISO/Nordic and some ANSI keycaps sets and more:

https://www.maxgaming.se/sv/datortillbehor/tangentbord-tillbehor/keycaps

The ISO/Nordic Ö and Ä letter problem:

ISO/Nordic yellow keycaps set from Ducky.
The black keycaps don't belong to the Ducky set.
« Last Edit: Mon, 05 April 2021, 04:28:01 by seville57 »

Offline salgiza

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 06 April 2021, 10:17:44 »
Another IC with an AZERTY kit:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=111565.0

Offline keguira

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 06 April 2021, 13:55:32 »
Yes, following it too.

Sorry my little wallet...  :-\

Offline sefixmm

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 07 April 2021, 08:55:47 »
Love the way people think AZERTY is only one layout.... :rolleyes:

Offline keguira

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 07 April 2021, 09:08:23 »
Love the way people think AZERTY is only one layout.... :rolleyes:

yes and i'm sorry for ISO-BE customers here  :(

I think it's because people are sometimes confused with ISO Layout for European countries... I took a look at other ISO layouts, usually they are renamed ISO-UK because of this confusion.
The diversity of European layouts is one of the main reasons they are not made (with the potential market)
« Last Edit: Wed, 07 April 2021, 09:17:23 by keguira »

Offline sefixmm

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 07 April 2021, 11:20:32 »
You do not have to excuse. The confusion is normal, we have so many layout variants here in Europe, even for us is sometime hard to remember all of them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyboard_layout#Latin-script_keyboard_layouts

;)

Offline BullRage

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 07 April 2021, 12:52:58 »
I feel you, even though I'm German and there are some sets, that support ISO-DE. Though never the sets I liked.
So my advice for you or at least what I did, was trying uniform keycap-profiles like DSA or KAM, with some novelties mixed in.
That wasn't a perfect solution, so I switched to ANSI and EURKey-layout.
Google it, it made my "life" so much easier.
Look at the layout and maybe try it. It didn't even take 2 weeks for me to get used to ANSI and EURKey.

And btw. now after I tried ANSI, I think it's even more ergonomic/comfortable.

Offline sefixmm

« Reply #22 on: Sat, 10 April 2021, 03:22:40 »
ISO De is easy to find, you can find lot of old cherry boards with ISO De keycaps. And some new GMK keysets support that layout.

ISO Be is really hard to find, in 5 years in the hobby i only find less than 10 cherry sets, and i never see a new GMK keysets with ISO Be support.

That's why like you, lot of people go on ANSI layout, it's more easy ;)
« Last Edit: Sat, 10 April 2021, 06:52:29 by sefixmm »

Offline keguira

« Reply #23 on: Sat, 10 April 2021, 10:38:50 »
ISO De is easy to find, you can find lot of old cherry boards with ISO De keycaps. And some new GMK keysets support that layout.

ISO Be is really hard to find, in 5 years in the hobby i only find less than 10 cherry sets, and i never see a new GMK keysets with ISO Be support.

That's why like you, lot of people go on ANSI layout, it's more easy ;)

"Easy" : it depends on the person behind the keyboard and if it will be used by multiple persons in the house  :'(

Offline keguira

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 01 May 2021, 12:28:34 »
here is another ISO-FR i just found, if some people are still wathcing this thread : https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=108937.0

The more i think about it, the more I find it should be a good idea to continue this thread or create a shared doc with all kits we find with ISO support (BE / FR / ES / IT / etc..). It may help beginners or people like us who do not want to switch to ANSI.

-----

un autre kit que je viens de voir en ISO-FR si y'a des gens qui passent encore par là : https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=108937.0

Plus ça va, plus, je me dis qu'il faudrait alimenter ce thread ou créer un doc partagé où on pourrait les lister. Y'a tellement de kits en IC et qui trainent dans le temps qu'un petit référentiel serait pas déconnant pour aider les nouveaux ou ceux qui, comme certains, ne veulent pas passer à l'ANSI.

« Last Edit: Sat, 01 May 2021, 12:32:54 by keguira »

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

• buck buck, cluck cluck, squawk squawk
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 01 May 2021, 23:48:10 »
Best option will be to get a uniform profile set and move the keys around as you please, like dsa, kat, or r3 uniform SA (uniform r3 is usually not mass market I think)

Offline Surefoot

« Reply #26 on: Sun, 02 May 2021, 05:19:37 »
Best option will be to get a uniform profile set and move the keys around as you please, like dsa, kat, or r3 uniform SA (uniform r3 is usually not mass market I think)
Dual symbol keys are not the same though, and the whole number row is completely different (numbers are flipped to start with).

Offline salgiza

« Reply #27 on: Mon, 03 May 2021, 04:32:35 »
The more i think about it, the more I find it should be a good idea to continue this thread or create a shared doc with all kits we find with ISO support (BE / FR / ES / IT / etc..). It may help beginners or people like us who do not want to switch to ANSI.

I've been thinking the same myself, since I joined the forum. I feel like something that pulls people away from this hobby it's how hard it is to find keycap kits for languages outside of US/NorDeUk, and having a single place that lists them would help a lot. And, hopefully, get more people interested, so that these sets are valuable for keycap designers...

I haven't done so because It means committing to it but, then, the number of new keycaps with Spanish ES layouts is so small that it doesn't require that much of an effort to maintain that list...  ;D. Sooo... should we try do it?

We can create a new "International Keycaps" thread, with a main post that links to the answers that include links for each language. That way I can create an answer with links to all the ES keycaps I find (maybe mentioning whether the include PT/IT/LA? as they are frequently bundled), you can create another with links to all the FR/BE keycaps, and more people can help creating answers for their language, so that each one can maintain/edit their links (I mean, we could create different posts, but having a single one maybe it's easier to post updates? I don't know). Or, if someone feels up to the task of maintaining a single post/table with all that info, I can help them informing when new keycaps are available for my language... (Or if you prefer to create a collaborative Docs/Spreadsheet...).

Whatever the idea: if you feel like giving it a chance, and I can help, count me in.

Offline Matchablossom

« Reply #28 on: Mon, 03 May 2021, 07:59:38 »
I think the biggest problem with international kits is the MOQ that needs to be reached and is (IMHO) the main thing that needs to change.

But it's in the hands of the manufacturers at this point. If MOQs would change that just the base kit and maybe novelties are affected it might give other kits that would never reach MOQ (such as languages that just have small countries and therefore even fewer ppl in this hobby) a chance to get it and designers to add them.

I don't know what immense production time it takes to manufacture a certain language. GMK certainly has molds for a lot of different languages. It can't be hard to produce a small amount of a certain kit if the base kit is already in production (colors already matched and all) and has reached an MOQ that would justify production.

It's the MOQ that will kill any incentives to make keycaps more international. Designers won't add them.

Offline salgiza

« Reply #29 on: Fri, 04 June 2021, 07:13:49 »
In case you are interested, I just found out about this IC that is about to go to GB, that supports both French and Belgian layouts: ePBT Scandi

Offline stikiking

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 23 June 2021, 15:58:42 »
Biip will release a new round of DSA Milkshake with an azerty option in early July for a delivery in November. There will also be another profile available but I don't know if it will support azerty.

Offline james97

« Reply #31 on: Tue, 29 June 2021, 09:59:52 »

Offline h3lli0n

• oliversphotoblog.com
« Reply #32 on: Mon, 05 July 2021, 07:43:55 »
If you're looking for a temp ISO-FR keyset for cheap your can buy this one on Amazon "YMDK 61 64 68 DSA Profile 9009 Dye Sub ANSI ISO AZERTY QWERTZ Espagne UK French German Italian Keyset PBT Keycap pour clavier MX (ensemble français ISO)". It's DSA profile but cheap (35€) and cover 65 layout.
There is an other one with more keys just check YMDK.

That's what I did to wait for my GB order (ePBT for exemple). Quality is very nice for the price, spacebar is not warped and DSA is not that bad for couple of months =)

Offline MadMephisto

« Reply #33 on: Mon, 05 July 2021, 13:47:51 »
If you're looking for a temp ISO-FR keyset for cheap your can buy this one on Amazon "YMDK 61 64 68 DSA Profile 9009 Dye Sub ANSI ISO AZERTY QWERTZ Espagne UK French German Italian Keyset PBT Keycap pour clavier MX (ensemble français ISO)". It's DSA profile but cheap (35€) and cover 65 layout.
There is an other one with more keys just check YMDK.

That's what I did to wait for my GB order (ePBT for exemple). Quality is very nice for the price, spacebar is not warped and DSA is not that bad for couple of months =)

I did this, and I got the set a few weeks ago. They look okay and they cover most layout. The legends are well done for the most part. However they really don't feel that  great, the plastic is grainy and a tad irritating if you are typing a lot. I'm loving the DSA profile though! I'm waiting on the KRepublic Dye-Sub keycap set, I hope they'll feel a bit better. My closest GB arrival date is in early 2022, so I'll have to stick with this for a long time  :-[

Offline metalkeyboards

• CNC Milled Aluminum KeyCaps from Tønsberg, NORWAY
    • MetalKeyboards SHOP
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 07 July 2021, 13:39:52 »
Hi,
We got you covered:
https://metalkeyboards.no/store/p35/ISO_-_Fran%C3%A7ais_-_Base_Kit.html#/
A few more AZERTY layouts coming soon too....
Join us on discord to influence what layouts we add next:
https://discord.gg/JGNY54jXUE

Hello everyone! I am a new mechanical keyboard enthusiast but living in Belgium I have one issue... AZERTY keyboards.

Would you know great places where I can find AZERTY keycaps?

And also please, when creating keycaps... Think about us... Poor AZERTY users. You would make our life much easier.  ;)

The latest one I saw taking care of us was 'EPBT the one' and each time is see a great keycap that match my taste... No AZERTY.

Sorry if there was an existing thread around this... But I did not find any.

And enjoy your Thock... :)

Philippe aka Toxine  ;D
All METAL All DAY!

Offline salgiza

« Reply #35 on: Tue, 13 July 2021, 03:18:22 »
Another IC with both FR and BE support has just appeared, and it looks very cool: KAM Command

Offline pinkman

• Learn and share
    • ymdkey.com
« Reply #36 on: Fri, 16 July 2021, 03:49:22 »
A nobody who works at the YMDK    XD

Offline keguira

« Reply #37 on: Tue, 05 October 2021, 08:01:35 »
Well KAM Command is available now in différent ISO versions :

https://candykeys.com/product/kam-command

Design is original but you have a lot of available possibilities

Offline keguira

« Reply #38 on: Wed, 20 October 2021, 01:29:58 »
An other one with ISO-fr (added recently)
The GB whould Stuart novembre 1st : https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=114064.0
« Last Edit: Mon, 25 October 2021, 12:48:06 by keguira »

Offline devpm

« Reply #39 on: Fri, 22 October 2021, 06:24:02 »
An other zone with ISO-fr (added recently)
The GB whould Stuart novembre 1st : https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=114064.0

This at least is a set of keycap that I can be interested in.

Another one I can't wait to see in GB with AZERTY as well is the following: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=111565.0

Thank you for sharing.  :thumb:

Offline keguira

« Reply #40 on: Fri, 22 October 2021, 10:39:58 »
 ;)

And btw, keychron released some PBT sets for the Q1/Q2. Available un ISO-UK, ISO-ES, ISO-IT, ISO-DE and ISO-FR
I think it's also compliant with the GMMK-PRO.

https://www.keychron.com/collections/iso-pbt-keycaps-for-q1-k2

Offline AoNoEzreal

« Reply #41 on: Mon, 25 October 2021, 11:11:51 »
And for info there's a french company that sells some decent pbt iso fr keycaps :
https://yunk.fr/collections/keycaps-azerty

they have the basic black & white aswell as a lotus green one that i might cop but not sure about the quality
they also propose DSA profiles

Offline WinterBrave

« Reply #42 on: Mon, 25 October 2021, 16:43:13 »
And for info there's a french company that sells some decent pbt iso fr keycaps :

they have the basic black & white aswell as a lotus green one that i might cop but not sure about the quality

The keycaps on yunk.fr are just the ones made by YMDK, you can order them from aliexpress or the YMDK website directly for a third of the price

Offline AoNoEzreal

« Reply #43 on: Mon, 25 October 2021, 16:44:05 »

The keycaps on yunk.fr are just the ones made by YMDK, you can order them from aliexpress or the YMDK website directly for a third of the price
Oh really ? I didn't know that thanks for telling me I would've definitely gotten scalped

Envoyé de mon GM1913 en utilisant Tapatalk

Offline WinterBrave

« Reply #44 on: Mon, 25 October 2021, 16:55:06 »
Oh really ? I didn't know that thanks for telling me I would've definitely gotten scalped

Envoyé de mon GM1913 en utilisant Tapatalk

Here are the links:

https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/1005003126875203.html / https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/1005003124761925.html (first link is the best since there is a base+FR kit combo, second link you have to buy both kits separately)

https://ymdkey.com/products/cherry-profile-botanical-dye-sub-keycaps-thick-pbt-german-french-italian-spain-uk-iso-key-caps-for-tkl-gk61-96-gmmk-mx-keyboard

I would probably order them from the first aliexpress link personally. Right now I'm waiting for ePBT Antarctic Emperor, but for only 51€ the YMDK keycaps seem like a great option

Offline Adelscott

« Reply #45 on: Mon, 25 October 2021, 18:22:23 »
Wtf is that crackhead layout ? I hope it doesn't represent the real kit.
Please think about ISO users, add a split left shift to your "alice style" keyboards

Offline keguira

« Reply #46 on: Tue, 26 October 2021, 05:11:04 »
You have to buy the base kit AND the french kit for compliance

Or maybe are you talking about the printing for numbers (i find it ugly) ?
« Last Edit: Tue, 26 October 2021, 06:51:19 by keguira »

Offline Michabc

« Reply #47 on: Thu, 09 December 2021, 06:58:49 »
Hi Guys,

I posted the IC for KAM Popelka a few weeks ago.
At the moment I've included Alpha kits for German Czech and Nordic and had requests for French.
I was wondering which versions are the most useful for you. - AZERTY French/belgian, BEPO? (Swiss, Canadian French?)
It would be good too know what your preferences would be - separate kits or (partially) combined for example.
Please also check the interest check form
Thanks!

Offline AoNoEzreal

« Reply #48 on: Sat, 01 January 2022, 10:27:50 »

Hi Guys,

I posted the IC for KAM Popelka a few weeks ago.
At the moment I've included Alpha kits for German Czech and Nordic and had requests for French.
I was wondering which versions are the most useful for you. - AZERTY French/belgian, BEPO? (Swiss, Canadian French?)
It would be good too know what your preferences would be - separate kits or (partially) combined for example.
Please also check the interest check form
Thanks!

As a french Person i'm only interested in the french kit but since belgian/french layouts are very similar i don't mind having multiple legends on them. this or you can make a french/belgium kit if price difference isn't too much

Offline tof31200

« Reply #49 on: Sun, 13 February 2022, 07:43:31 »
looking also for french good quality keycaps set. I'm so sad to have missed Dreamscape or the kat great wave. It's really sad to see some great set with only "International" kit without a fr kit. probably due to the fact that we are not so many french custom keyboards, but by not providing sets, it also puts off newcomers to this hobby. the more set we can find, probably more new people will come. Also, most kit are "on demand", so it's probably not so hard to test this kind of demand. and, like probably a lot of people, I'm ready to pay a bit more to got a french kit.
Anyway, it's a hard way for us.