Author Topic: Keyboard suggestions with reduced depth for small hands  (Read 8072 times)

Offline catieblink

Keyboard suggestions with reduced depth for small hands
« on: Wed, 07 April 2021, 10:40:56 »
I'm trying to find a keyboard with reduced depth from the bottom to top row. I have very small hands and I get a lot of RSI problems in my left little finger as its very bent when pressing Ctrl and other keys.

Most keyboards seem to be 9 - 9.5 cm from space bar to number row. All the compact keyboard I have seen still have approximatly this depth. I'm looking for one that's ideally 7.2 - 7.8cm.

I currently use a logitech k310 as this has a good key height for me (plus it's waterproof). I'm not a fan of very flat keyboards. My ideal keyboard would be this, but with the keys spaced closer.

Many thanks for your time and any suggestions :)

Offline MajorZoT

Re: Keyboard suggestions with reduced depth for small hands
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 07 April 2021, 11:24:14 »
I think you might be needing a candybar type of keyboard. Which means that typically the number row is missing and a number pad is on either the left or the right side so the keyboard itself has only 4 rows.

This one is the CandyBar Premium which has already run as a GB in 2019 and 2020:

https://thekey.company/products/candybar-premium

Offline catieblink

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 07 April 2021, 11:33:40 »
Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm not sure that would work. Its the stretch between the keys that needs to be smaller.

For example, Ctrl (with pinky) and W (with index finger) is a real stretch. My pinky has to be very curled back to make this movement, which can become painful if repetitive.

I'm ideally looking for a keyboard with a small row height to reduce this kind of stretch.

Or if there was a keyboard with no caps lock key, and ctrl + shift moved up a row that could possibly also help a bit.

Offline MajorZoT

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 07 April 2021, 13:18:36 »
OK so what if you switched caps lock with ctrl? Most people never use caps lock in the first place and that way ctrl would be very reachable.

The other problem is that you wont find a custom keyboard where the space between the keycaps is smaller than about 1mm. And that shouldn't be the goal for anyone because you would constantly be hitting the keys next to the one you want to hit and more so the keys itself need a little bit of room to be pressed down and then come back up again. So you might need a keyboard where the keycaps itself are smaller than regular keycaps (about 18 mm in width and height) because that way the keys would be closer to each other and you wouldn't need to stretch your fingers. But those keyboards would most definetly be flat keyboards.

Offline catieblink

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 07 April 2021, 13:40:03 »
In my ideal world I'd find a keyboard with full layout, but where the whole thing was scaled ~20% smaller.. keys and all, as it's not just ctrl key that the problem, though that's by far the worst. I'm sort of surprised that this isn't a thing. People with really big hands/fingers must get the opposite problem.

The Logitech k310 doesn't have regular sloped size keys, they are separate vertical sided buttons. These types of keys could easily move closer 1-1.5mm

I would consider a flat keyboard if I could get the row depth correct. Though the ones I've found still seem to be the same size depth. Also they tend to come with reduced keys. I don't really need the number pad, though I do use the full cursor key panel.

Otherwise..

Do you know of a good way to rebind keys? The logitech setpoint setting program doesn't have this? (sorry if that's a very noob question)
I could try moving **** to caps, then ctl to shift. I think having shift and ctrl upside down would do my muscle memory in :)

Thanks for time and advice

Offline MajorZoT

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 07 April 2021, 14:16:34 »
Apparently there are teeny-weeny keyboards that look like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Bluetooth-Keyboard-Universal-Compatible/dp/B08GFJ7ZGK/

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B08BHQ3SHN/?language=en_GB

But they all kinda have a very strange bottom row  :confused:

Offline catieblink

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 07 April 2021, 14:53:49 »
Yeah, these are kind of my problem. I have bought a bunch of similar cheap keyboard in the past and these tend to be wireless and poor quality.

The row depth looks pretty good on the first link, (about 4.5cm for 3 rows QAZ, rather than 5.3 in my current logitech), but the layout is just weird!  and no PgUp and PgDn key block.

No one I can see does a regular but smaller keyboard.  :sigh:

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 12 April 2021, 08:29:12 »
What you want is a Split keyboard. you can use one of the inner last row keys as space bar. like on the japanese keyboards

Offline gh_pp

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 15 May 2021, 17:05:04 »
Instead of 80% scaled down layout, I solved the pinky finger problem by using a 3 way split spacebar so I have 3 modifiers and space under my thumb

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=109459.0

The epomaker sk61x/68/7x/8x series are the most accessible off the shelf keyboard you can buy if you don’t use QMK

I myself got a assembled kbdfans75v2 split spacebar, shift, backspace (moved bs to the closer location at \|)  ($172 + $18 Gatreon switches ,labor included)

No affiliation except a happy customer. Their solder 60% and 65% also support split spacebar if you don’t need function keys

Benefits from KBDfans to all customers on May 2021, upon the struggling time, that everybody suffers in this year (Covid 19) hope our products and service could make our fans satisfied, so we want to show our appreciation to all the fans that never leave us.

KBDfans requested a total amount of $15,000 of Paypal discount coupons for our fans. (Thanks for the official sponsorship from Paypal) Merchant users can use Paypal to pay on the www.kbdfans.com website with the following discount coupons. During the Sales Event the coupon structure is below: (Friendly Reminder: Each Account could only use 1 kind of coupon code during this event. Also, each order could only use one coupon during this event )
1. Once you reached $69 you will get $5 off        (limited to 600 coupons, Code: 9RVBMV19EKEE)
2. Once you reached $99 you will get $10 off  (limited to 400 coupons, Code: JKY8KYQF943A)

 Promotion start time: PST(Pacific Standard Time) 7:00 PM on May 9th, 2021, ends on PST time 7:00 PM June 14th.

 Reminder: if the discount code is invalid when the order is submitted, it means that the discount code has reached the upper limit; Regarding the situation where the coupon cannot be used due to order cancellation, KBDfans will not make any adjustments. The Paypal discount code can only be used once per account.

 The discount code has no restrictions on the product. The discount code can be used for the entire store, if you have any questions, please contact our customer service.
« Last Edit: Sat, 15 May 2021, 17:12:10 by gh_pp »
QFR brown x2, Realforce 45G, Type-S, Keycool 22 blue

Previous keyboards: 55G, IBM Model M, Dell AT101W, Fujitsu FKB4725, G80-3000 clear, QFS green, QFS blue

[WTB] Custom keyboard build