Author Topic: Resurrection posting - is there a hard-and-fast timeframe for this?  (Read 1441 times)

Offline Stupidface

• Looks like I picked the wrong week to joinGeekhack
Hello,

(Disclaimer: I first tried looking through the forum rules before I posted the below.  However, I did not see this matter addressed anywhere in the rules, hence my writing this post.)

I am trying to get a better grasp of what "resurrection posting" is, exactly.  What I mean is: exactly how long after the last post in a given thread can I post and not have it considered "resurrection posting"?

(Something tells me this is one of those, "I know it when I see it," sorts of deals and there is no hard-and-fast timeframe involved.  Still, I hope you will not blame a fellow for asking.)

Edit: brevity
« Last Edit: Thu, 14 October 2021, 19:40:01 by Stupidface »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: Resurrection posting - is there a hard-and-fast timeframe for this?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 14 October 2021, 20:07:53 »
I think that if the thread is not closed you can post to it. There is a warning that says something like "there has not been a post here for half a year" or something to that effect.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 15 October 2021, 14:16:56 »
You're right there is no hard rule whatever the forum software may suggest.  It will never be wrong to post in the old threads about one off custom boards (these used to be a thing :(), Soarer's convertor firmware, pets or fountain pens even if no-one has for years but if you're looking for keyboard or switch options or opinions there's no point bringing back a thread from even a couple of months ago as the info will be out of date.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 15 October 2021, 14:18:50 »
Raise the dead!

Offline Stupidface

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 15 October 2021, 16:28:07 »
I think that if the thread is not closed you can post to it. There is a warning that says something like "there has not been a post here for half a year" or something to that effect.

Ah, yes, here we are:

After reading your post (and seeing the above) I think I have a better idea of how this works.  Thank you for the reply.

Offline Stupidface

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 15 October 2021, 16:52:59 »
..if you're looking for keyboard or switch options or opinions there's no point bringing back a thread from even a couple of months ago as the info will be out of date.

Yes, technical matters can change fairly quickly and there is no point in creating needless confusion.  What I am looking at is more experience-related than technical and I am hoping others will share the benefit of their experience without my having the learn things the way I usually do (i.e. The Hard Way).

The impression I am under is that this is one of those things that can be done, it is simply that the people who run the board want posters to think about what they are doing before they do it. 

Speaking of which, I think I now understand why this wasn't mentioned in the forum rules: because, in relative terms, it is not that big of a deal.   :)