Author Topic: Open source AEK/AEKII full size Alps/MX PCB  (Read 4221 times)

Offline djvs

Open source AEK/AEKII full size Alps/MX PCB
« on: Tue, 21 September 2021, 09:57:04 »
https://github.com/djvs/aek

Developed this and getting prototypes soon.  Has QMK support, atmega32u4, RGB locklights, buzzer pinout, USB "unified daughterboard" out,  grid numpad support, and (theoretical) MX support for people with Mitsumi AEK IIs who wanna jam their AEK chassis full of Kailhs or something. 

Edit: Oh, and NKRO of course.

Under a pretty open license (CC BY-SA) so go nuts with it. 

My first big PCB so there may be a kink or two left  ;D

« Last Edit: Tue, 28 September 2021, 19:46:28 by djvs »

Offline Findecanor

Re: Open source AEK/AEKII full size Alps/MX PCB
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 21 September 2021, 10:07:49 »
Cool!

I know the AEKII has depressions in the bottom of the case to fit the switch's pins. on the bottom row. I dunno if the "upside-down" switches will actually fit.

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 21 September 2021, 10:13:00 »
Looking good, especially that it has MX support.

Have you checked out Elmos pcb kit? It’s alps only, but there is actually a round being sold right now
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline djvs

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 21 September 2021, 10:51:26 »
Cool!

I know the AEKII has depressions in the bottom of the case to fit the switch's pins. on the bottom row. I dunno if the "upside-down" switches will actually fit.

They're plated through holes so if you really need to squeeze it in or even clip 2mm off the pin, it's an option.  The upside down ones are only there to squeeze in the grid numpad keys, regular keys are all right side up (besides the F-row of course  :-\).  Will update here with results.

Offline Alejo1707

• Gimme some more caps!
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 21 September 2021, 14:03:22 »
Nice! Can't wait to see a more refined version!

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Offline djvs

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 28 September 2021, 19:39:11 »
Pushed some bug fixes (little case geometry fix for AEK II, JST cable pinout fix  :-\) - recommend anyone thinking of printing these to use the latest commit to "main" or later.  JST cable to daughterboard has pins reversed on earlier versions (woops) and AEK II case is a bit of a jam to get it in.  Got prototypes today with some good early results (device connects :) ), will be working on testing + QMK firmware with some help over the next few days.

edit: And some diode standardization to make sure JLCPCB doesn't botch a few of the diode rotation/polarities like they did on my prototype batch ;)
« Last Edit: Wed, 29 September 2021, 23:31:40 by djvs »