geekhack Community > Keyboards

Cherry MX Silent Red/Black vs Matais Quiet Click

(1/8) > >>

arhue:
Hello everyone,

New member here. I wanted to ask which of these two options should I buy: Cherry MX Silent Red/Black or Matais Quiet Click. There is little information on Google comparing both of these options.

I am currently using a Cherry MX Brown keyboard(KBC Poker II) that I bought a while back and super happy with it. However, I often have to work late at night and these switches can be super noisy, which is not ideal when you have a roommate.

I want something that is as quiet as possible. Preference is for tactile/clicky switches, but can sacrifice the feedback if the Cherry MX Silents are that much less noisy.

Welcome any/all thoughts about either/both of these switch types.

Thank you.

timw4mail:
If you think browns are noisy, it is likely due more to bottoming-out than the switch itself. You are probably better off doing an o-ring mod to your current board, which will cut down on the bottoming-out noise.

HungerMechanic:
Silent Red/Black will indeed be quieter than MX Brown because of the dampening.

However, even Cherry MX Silent Red/Black is not as quiet as it could be, and they are obviously not tactile switches as well.

This is where custom keyboards come in handy to someone in your position. With a custom build, you could use a "silent tactile." It would be like MX Brown, but much quieter. A switch like that is the OUTEMU Silent Sky stem inside a Cherry or light tactile housing.

But instead of modifying switches, you can buy silent tactiles, including U4 Boba and Zilent V2. Maybe even Zilent V1 soon. This may sound like gibberish to you at the moment, but if you look up these switches on Youtube, you will see [and hear] typing tests demonstrating their relative quiet. [Boba and Zilents are much more tactile than MX Brown, though].

There are also silent linears that are super-quiet, especially Bobagum, and there's also Silent Alpaca and the whole lineup of Zeal silent linears.

Anyway, put these into a relatively quiet hotswap keyboard like a modded Archon AK87/89 or maybe a modded MK870 and you're good to go. I'm going to see if the smaller 68-key Aurora can be silent-modified. You could buy a cheap kit like a Tofu, and dampen it. The options are there.

I just point this out because I wouldn't want to have to choose between MX Brown [too loud], and Cherry MX Silent Red/Black. There are silent tactiles available, and better silent linears than Cherry's.

HungerMechanic:
Also, I only have limited experience with Matias Quiet Click, but I think it was only quiet relative to the louder [LOUD!] Matias models. I don't think it's seriously dampened, yes it has dampening but it's not as quiet as modern silent MX switches. It's probably comparable in sound-level with MX Brown, in my experience.

I'm sure Matias is great to type on when it works, don't get me wrong. But I don't associate even their "Quiet Click" with silence.

That's why I recommended the MX silent tactiles and linears. I have reservations about MX switches, but you have to admit that they are now leading in offering silent options.

EDIT: In terms of your original question, Cherry MX Silent Red / Black are likely to be noticeably quieter than both Cherry MX Brown, and Matias Quiet Click.

However, they don't offer the best possible typing experience or silencing. But they will work. So you could just buy a Leopold or something with Silent Red and be done with it, and that is probably the best option for you. It's just lacking in some regards compared with going the custom route.

arhue:

--- Quote from: timw4mail on Mon, 11 October 2021, 08:49:36 ---If you think browns are noisy, it is likely due more to bottoming-out than the switch itself. You are probably better off doing an o-ring mod to your current board, which will cut down on the bottoming-out noise.

--- End quote ---

I have tried orings. I don't like them. I would much rather have 2 keyboards, than have orings on my daily driver.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version