Author Topic: Soldering Iron recommendation?  (Read 4086 times)

Offline Chann3l

• 3D Art Portfolio
Soldering Iron recommendation?
« on: Thu, 01 March 2018, 19:21:31 »
Hey, I'm new to geekhack but I've been a long time mechanical keyboard user. I've decided to try my hand at a diy build and have ordered all the parts I need from kbdfans to build a nice 60 percent board with the gh60 Satan PCB. I haven't soldered anything since high school and was wondering what type of kit I should get. Is a cheap set from Amazon good enough? Sorry if this is the wrong spot to post this.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Soldering Iron recommendation?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 01 March 2018, 19:45:15 »
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Chann3l

• 3D Art Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 01 March 2018, 19:53:57 »
Wow, I really should have used the search haha. Thanks for the link!

Offline nevin

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 30 January 2019, 17:47:31 »
I've used generic, radio shack 30w irons forever. They don't have to be anything fancy for through hole soldering.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Keeb.io Viterbi, Apple m0110, Apple m0120, Apple m0110a, Apple 658-4081, Apple M1242, Apple AEK II, MK96, GH60/Pure, Cherry g84-4100, Adesso AKP-220B, Magicforce 68

Offline mike-y

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 30 January 2019, 22:08:25 »
There are many types, and most will get the job done.  I settled on one that has adjustable temp, which has been great.  having the adjustable temp is a little extra insurance against burning up a pcb.  I usually solder at 330 C, and have never once burned/lifted up a pad.  I've built about 8-10 keyboards with it so far, and haven't had any issues.

Offline DanielOh

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 02 February 2019, 09:26:58 »
Hi,  Chann3l I'm also new to this community and I recently bought new soldering iron, called TS100, for my new hardwired keyboard project. It's small, light weighted, and takes only few secs to reach 350 degree (Five star!). Compare to other fancy ones, TS100, personally works really well! (and fairly cheap consider that it has temp control, sleep mode, etc) Those big fancy soldering stations are still awesome, but if you want something mobile and light, you can also consider TS100 or other DC powered solders(soldering iron that powered from AC to DC adapter)

https://www.amazon.com/UY-CHAN-Programmable-Pocket-size-Acceleration/dp/B01MDTO6X7

Offline nevin

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 02 February 2019, 10:45:42 »
I've been tempted to get one of those but haven't yet.
Keeb.io Viterbi, Apple m0110, Apple m0120, Apple m0110a, Apple 658-4081, Apple M1242, Apple AEK II, MK96, GH60/Pure, Cherry g84-4100, Adesso AKP-220B, Magicforce 68

Offline DanielOh

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 02 February 2019, 11:45:47 »
you should, defiantly, It's pretty nice

Offline _GMK_

• not affiliated with GMK
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 02 February 2019, 13:01:44 »
Given that you'll have to choose between the weller and the hakko 888, what fume extractor do you guys suggest?

Offline DanielOh

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 02 February 2019, 15:17:44 »
I would say, whatever that is more cheap

Offline nevin

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 02 February 2019, 18:00:16 »
Skip it. Not harmful. If it bothers you, any cheap fan will do to blow it away from you.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 02 February 2019, 19:24:35 »
Cheap pen irons are a good starting point.
However, make sure it's either a brand name, Weller or Radio Shack (neither is a great name, which should tell you something) because while cheap, you have no idea how crappy they can really be. You also want at LEAST 30 watts. Problem is many are measured in Chinese, which seem to always be about 30% less powerful than they are supposed to be.

You always want to use the largest tip you can, but on pen style irons you want as large as you can handle because they do not usually have temp control and are under powered, so the thermal mass is what you are using to actually melt the solder, not the heating element. You need to get in melt what you need and get out as quick as you can (so as not to burn the board), then allow time to heat up again. A base station style like a Hakko 888d is temp controlled with a powerful heater and you don't suck the heat out in seconds.  It's way easier and likely to last a lot longer, but it's two to three times the price.

You can do almost anything with both, provided you have the power. A pen is a good starter and learning point, just beware it can get too hot, so you can do damage without even thinking. If you learn with a cheap pen style, by the time you learn to really use it well you will pretty much instantly be a master with a good base style and you will appreciate it more, but it's a harsh learning curve. I'd love to say everyone should start with a pen, but not everyone wants to really learn to solder, they just want to get the job done and forget it.

Hi,  Chann3l I'm also new to this community and I recently bought new soldering iron, called TS100, for my new hardwired keyboard project. It's small, light weighted, and takes only few secs to reach 350 degree (Five star!).

I'm all for cool tools, but for what you can buy that for, for about $20 more you can get a Hakko 888d.
I get that it's a good chunk more (percentage-wise), but the 888 has a killer reputation, parts are easy to get and if you find you don't want it you can resell it with little trouble. Think of the Hakko is an investment that will probably last a lifetime.

I wouldn't mind one of these as a second or for use in the field (I'll probably buy one soon), but I'll keep my Hakko for home use.

Skip it. Not harmful. If it bothers you, any cheap fan will do to blow it away from you.
I wouldn't say it's not harmful, but yes a simple fan near an open window is usually good enough.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 02 February 2019, 23:30:17 »
What about something like the Yihua 936?  It's temperature-controlled and reasonably inexpensive.
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 02 February 2019, 23:51:48 »
What about something like the Yihua 936?  It's temperature-controlled and reasonably inexpensive.

I bought a generic station similar to that to upgrade my Wellers, I managed to use it for two small jobs before it died. I ended up having to go back to my Weller pens, each of which cost more than this station.

My good Weller pen (I have two) is about 25 years old and still works.
My Hakko has several hundred hours of use (and I got it used) and some people have Hakkos that are that old as well.

One thing I learned years ago, buy good tools and you will never need to replace them. That doesn't mean spend a fortune, just make sure you get good stuff. If I only need something for a one time project, great, Harbor Freight I go, but if I want it to last I'll research and find what will last (like my Hakko). I have a lot of Craftsman hand tools that belonged to my grandfather, some of which are 50-70 years old and still work great.

Stay clear of the Weller equivalent of the 888d, Weller was bought out and cheapened up A LOT. We had one in our shop, we bought it because Weller had a good name in the past. We used it for about a year then it failed to work, the fix was either a new handle or a new base, with no way to determine which (Weller documentation sucks, we even had an expert look at it) and both were more than half the cost of a new iron, so we made a decision to just buy a Hakko and be done with it rather than play that game. We were not alone in this, I researched it and found lots of people in the same spot, which is why we said screw it and bought a Hakko. Then we bought a second Hakko.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion