Author Topic: Another classifieds problem  (Read 6731 times)

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
Another classifieds problem
« on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 18:24:52 »
can we stop this?

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=46583.0

if you're having an on going sale, leave your thread open. keeping your thread closed screams nothing but shadiness going on. we don't know if you have had any problems with members. we dont know if any price fixing is going on or anything of that sort. cactux did this, and we gave him crap for it and told him he couldn't do it and he stopped. why is that guy getting a pass? his reason is to keep his thread clean. pretty sure we have mods to take care of that.

seacrest out

No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
Re: Another classifieds problem
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 18:25:27 »
Yeah; even cactux stopped doing it
I love Elzy

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 18:26:09 »
Wouldn't posting in the thread complaining constitute thread crapping (I remember when everyone what butt hurt about that) and shouldn't a thread just like this be started as a non-thread crapping alternative?
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 18:27:40 »
Wouldn't posting in the thread complaining constitute thread crapping (I remember when everyone what butt hurt about that) and shouldn't a thread just like this be started as a non-thread crapping alternative?

isn't that why we have mods? to take care of this problem? i mean we just got 2 more so problems should be addressed quicker.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 18:38:47 »
milky, preach the good word brother

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 18:41:04 »
I PMed him about one of them and got a reply pretty quickly, but I tend to skip locked WTS threads under the assumption that the item/s are already sold.  I only looked at this one because of, well, you can guess.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 17 September 2013, 19:25:07 »
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=48565.0

and another one.

why are we allowing people to do this crap?

nvm he opened it up.

Offline mehkat1974

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 05:39:01 »
what if you are selling something and all it's doing is attracting bull**** comments that have nothing to do with the sale and all you want to do is quickly sell an item
and for 2 days ppl are posting useless **** like
GLWS
YGPM
I am selling the same thing and it's only $30!
funny that you mention cactux because he pm'd me after my sale finished (in one hour, not a one month long auction) and suggested I closed the thread so ppl didn't "**** on it" or words to that effect.
I said I don't really care they can say what they like LOL

locking the thread is the only way to avoid it. no one would do this if mods actually enforced the forum rules, if someone has a valid question about the item pertaining to them buying it then they should post, anyone else should gtfo
Look at how headfi works, that is a good sale forum. OCAU, stereo.net, same rules as geekhack but ppl actually follow them. because if they don't they get a smackdown
I have seen OCAU slap 24 hour bans on about 10 ppl in a thread, never saw any of them post a dumbass comment in FS again
« Last Edit: Fri, 11 October 2013, 05:47:58 by mehkat1974 »
HHKB Type-S / KBC Poker with reds

Offline mehkat1974

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 05:46:38 »
nvm quoted my own post

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 12:29:26 »
what if you are selling something and all it's doing is attracting bull**** comments that have nothing to do with the sale and all you want to do is quickly sell an item
GLWS
YGPM
funny that you mention cactux because he pm'd me after my sale finished (in one hour, not a one month long auction) and suggested I closed the thread so ppl didn't "**** on it" or words to that effect.

locking the thread is the only way to avoid it. no one would do this if mods actually enforced the forum rules, if someone has a valid question about the item pertaining to them buying it then they should post, anyone else should gtfo
Look at how headfi works, that is a good sale forum. OCAU, stereo.net, same rules as geekhack but ppl actually follow them. because if they don't they get a smackdown
I have seen OCAU slap 24 hour bans on about 10 ppl in a thread, never saw any of them post a dumbass comment in FS again

If you have a problem with people posting in your FS thread just PM a mod they should take care of it.
« Last Edit: Fri, 11 October 2013, 14:44:29 by SpAmRaY »

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 14:40:51 »
What ray said. Make our lazy mods do something.

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 14:52:16 »
What ray said. Make our lazy mods do something.

doo doo something.

GLWS
YGPM

Actually, I dunno what's wrong with GLWS or YGPM.  They are mindless and meaningless, sure, but they are free bumps.  What's wrong with a free bump?  Threadcrapping, or saying negative things about the seller, the prices, or the items being sold is bad though, and should not be tolerated. 
I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline mehkat1974

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 16:45:06 »
I don't agree with "free bumps", IMO you shouldn't be allowed to bump threads in the classifieds at all - if it needs bumping maybe that means no-one is interested. It pushes new threads down. How hard is it to look through a couple of pages of posts?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 18:47:26 »
Once people realise that posts in Classifieds do not count towards your post count these GLWS posts will thin out a bit.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 18:51:22 »
I don't agree with "free bumps", IMO you shouldn't be allowed to bump threads in the classifieds at all - if it needs bumping maybe that means no-one is interested. It pushes new threads down. How hard is it to look through a couple of pages of posts?

Without bumping, your post will go onto page 3 within 2 days.  It's a pretty active subforum.  You're saying that your ad will be seen by everyone interested within 2 days?  It doesn't even make logical sense--people don't check forums religiously, needs and opinions change.  And you are incorrect in your assumption anyway: I've had people buy many things after a couple weeks of being listed.

Moreover, many people make new threads for single items.  So if they sell something right away, they can make a new thread, and another, etc.  Multiply that by a bunch of people.  Best to just follow the rules: one bump per day and not get so upset with semantics.
« Last Edit: Fri, 11 October 2013, 18:53:17 by Photoelectric »
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline mehkat1974

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 12 October 2013, 20:31:43 »
one bump per day?

the "old rules"
2) NO Bumping: Posts that consist of nothing but the word "bump", "ttt", "top", etc. are not acceptable posts, regardless of the forum. If you cannot think of a way to add useful information to a FS/WTB/FA thread, do not add a post to the thread. This new information does not have to be earth shattering, but each new post in a thread should add information to that thread. In addition, please allow 24 hours between posts to your own threads that are not responses to interested parties.  <-- this last line here, I think you're confused to think that it allows posts like "bump for the day" well it doesn't, see NO Bumping at the top

if you could point me to the new rules, I'd be much obliged
« Last Edit: Sat, 12 October 2013, 20:36:11 by mehkat1974 »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 12 October 2013, 20:46:07 »
Maybe the rule was relaxed due to the number of threads appearing.  if a thread is not bumped, pretty quickly (within a day usually) it gets relegated to the second page.

The occasional bump is ok, 24 hour limit is probably trying to keep that reasonable.

Offline mehkat1974

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 12 October 2013, 21:07:58 »
yeah but there's nothing wrong with it being on the second page, if ppl can be bothered looking at the second page and it's a sought after item it will still sell.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 22:10:52 »

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 22:14:19 »
Wow...  That's really something.  But I'm staying out of clack wars!

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 22:14:23 »
yeah but there's nothing wrong with it being on the second page, if ppl can be bothered looking at the second page and it's a sought after item it will still sell.

If its sought after then people wanting it would bump it up.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 22:18:18 »
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=49832.msg1081274#msg1081274

another one, can we get this enforced?

$400 lol good frickin' luck.  He knew he'd catch a lot of hate.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 22:25:27 »

bro caps just sold a red translucent for $400....so why not?

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 22:27:12 »
3 months from now: "I remember back in the olden days, clacks could be had for $400.  Now, you can't find one for less than $700!"

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 22:30:23 »
3 months from now: "I remember back in the olden days, clacks could be had for $400.  Now, you can't find one for less than $700!"

Getting that way.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 22:31:39 »

Or will many clacks be released soon and the prices plummet and it'll be like the $250 red esc....now $5 :eek:

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 22:51:55 »

Or will many clacks be released soon and the prices plummet and it'll be like the $250 red esc....now $5 :eek:

Rowdy is waiting for a Mr Friday to be released - those who bought $250 ones recently would be spitting!

Or a range of properly transparent ones, not slushy :))

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 23:01:15 »

Seriously?  Wow.  Brobots are like GoBots to CC's Transformers.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #28 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 23:58:12 »
FOR THE RECORD.

IDGAF how much clacks sell for, that's not my problem. but having FS threads and only dealing in PMs (because they purposely locked the thread) is shady and should be looked down upon on ALL members.

Offline kenmai9

• Unicornforce
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Skrrr
« Reply #29 on: Fri, 18 October 2013, 00:01:22 »

No, the person Bro_Caps sold a red translucent topre CC for $400, not sold a brobot lol

Offline Cottonsox

« Reply #30 on: Fri, 18 October 2013, 00:05:33 »

No, the person Bro_Caps sold a red translucent topre CC for $400, not sold a brobot lol

That is also a topre CC

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #31 on: Fri, 18 October 2013, 00:13:41 »
I'd buy those two in an instance if I had the spare cash.

Locked thread or no.

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #32 on: Fri, 18 October 2013, 00:16:22 »

Locked thread or no.

You're a sick man Rowdy!
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #33 on: Fri, 18 October 2013, 06:40:55 »
FOR THE RECORD.

IDGAF how much clacks sell for, that's not my problem. but having FS threads and only dealing in PMs (because they purposely locked the thread) is shady and should be looked down upon on ALL members.

Everything on geekhack is shady, it's not all roses just nobody knows it yet.....the darkness is coming......

Offline jcrouse

« Reply #34 on: Fri, 18 October 2013, 08:15:47 »
I simply don't see how locking the thread in a sale is shady. When you get the asking price, you sell. In an auction I completely agree, like when you pm an offer and they reply and say, "but Joe offered $25 more". That has a high possibility of shadiness and I think auctions need to be transpatent, when you are competing against another person, but not a sale. If you see the price, offer the price and don't get the item, maybe, but that has not happened here. The price is posted, you offer the price, you get the item, how is that shady? I like the idea of a locked thread in a sale. It probably is better for gh because it keeps all the negativity out of the threads and the forum cleaner. OK, flame away.   :)

John
« Last Edit: Fri, 18 October 2013, 08:17:19 by jcrouse »

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #35 on: Fri, 18 October 2013, 13:37:09 »
We have mods to keep the forum clean. They should take away the ability for OP to close the thread. What's the point of mods if none enforce the rules? Nobody here in special thay they cant take a little criticism and if they dont like it PM a mod. MMB does it in his FS thread when it starts to go OT.

Offline meiosis

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Time
« Reply #36 on: Fri, 18 October 2013, 13:59:10 »
You know the real problem? No one will buy my e-ATX computer parts on here! Blasphemy
Keyboards:
Filco Majestouch 2 - Sakura Edition [MX Blue]
Filco Majestouch 2 - Lotus Edition [MX Brown]
Realforce 23ub - Modded with 55g Domes.
Aripeko TKL

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #37 on: Fri, 18 October 2013, 19:00:10 »

Locked thread or no.

You're a sick man Rowdy!

And enjoying it! :))

Offline mehkat1974

« Reply #38 on: Mon, 21 October 2013, 19:36:35 »
FOR THE RECORD.

why is it shady? he has a fixed price, it's not an auction. He can't fake bumping up the price. there are no rules against it.
Having an auction and telling someone they have been outbid by a pm bidder is shady, but again, nothing in the forum rules that say you cant do it
If you and others are going to go on about enforcing the rules then IMO you need to post a link to the rule - because I can't find it. Where are these so called rules?