Author Topic: [GB] HEAVY METAL KEYBOARDS [CONCLUDED]  (Read 271722 times)

Offline myflowsocold

Re: [GB] HEAVY METAL KEYBOARDS [CLOSED]
« Reply #300 on: Tue, 07 July 2020, 23:07:30 »
Thank you but says invite is invalid - not sure why. Can one of the moderators send a valid link?
Nunu | Lyn Whale R2 | Bauer | Satisfaction75 | WKL Polaris | TGR x Singa Unikorn

Offline Liub

« Reply #301 on: Wed, 08 July 2020, 00:08:33 »
Thank you but says invite is invalid - not sure why. Can one of the moderators send a valid link?

Links expire. This one should last longer, valid for 25 uses.

https://discord.gg/C67hYcS

Offline radam

« Reply #302 on: Wed, 08 July 2020, 06:45:38 »
There is a link to discord, in the menu, on the website.
https://heavymetalkeyboards.com

Offline PlastikSchnittstelle

« Reply #303 on: Thu, 23 July 2020, 06:01:03 »
UPDATE:

I assume all of you have joined the discord server by now.
For those who don't use discord, I'll quickly sum up:

- group buy orders slightly over 1100
- lots of communication in the discord
- build stream and typing demo
- expected shipping late Q3 / September
- extras will be available after shipping

Regarding communication:
Those who know me, know that I dedicate a lot of time to communicating. Throughout the IC this has exclusively taken place here on Geekhack, since posting on multiple channels is just too much for me and since I had not jet used discord before. With the start of the GB I had finally gotten myself to setting up a discord server - many of you had asked for this during the IC phase. Immediately the HMKB discord became the main communication channel. That also meant, that this GB thread quickly became pretty much abandoned. One the one hand I feel a bit sad about this, since I had always liked and preferred the classic way of forum posting over the more chat-like and rushed discord style communication. On the other hand the discord server offers many advantages over the classic forum style. The HMKB discord server has a lot of members now and is the main communication channel. Recently communication has slowed down there a bit too, since I was on vacation. I will only post here on Geekhack when either a definitive shipping date is set or when a delay should happen. Anything else will be on the discord.

Sorry for the expired links to the HMKB discord, I wasn't aware of that in the beginning. Thanks to all who posted new links. Here is a link that should not expire that quickly (but also won't work for ever):

HMKB Discord

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #304 on: Thu, 23 July 2020, 15:19:51 »
I think faster communication through discord is the way most group buys go now.  I don’t see any issue as long as you provide occasional updates here, especially for important events (delays, qc issues, shipping timelines, etc...)

That should adequately satisfy the most recent addendum to the Group Buys rules:

- geekhack.org is a community of keyboard enthusiasts and not simply an advertising platform for keyboard-related sales.  Thus we request that any group buy organizers who post their group buy threads in this section also provide updates in the thread they have started until the conclusion of the group buy, even if updates are also posted somewhere else.  Group buy threads made here are for group buy progress discussion as well as open discussion of any quality control issues.   If a group buy organizer decides to provide an off-site instant message chat option for faster order support (for example Discord), any such communication needs to be optional when it comes to non-sensitive* order information.

« Reply #305 on: Thu, 23 July 2020, 15:37:34 »
I understand the appeal of Discord from creator standpoint, but I must say I'd also rather have updates here. Discord is good for building a community but is quite bad as news source. I am member of bunch of servers I wish I wasn't but they do not provide updates anywhere else. From about 30 servers, I constantly engaged in about 4.

TLDR: Agreed with previous poster, updates regarding product should be also posted in a forum.
« Last Edit: Fri, 24 July 2020, 12:43:21 by AspiringMechKeebFan »

« Reply #306 on: Thu, 23 July 2020, 15:43:10 »
As I had mentioned in my last post, this classic way of forum communication here is what I personally prefer. Once the discord server was up, it just felt like 99% happened there. I just went with it.
Sure, anything important will be posted here as well of course.

Oh and btw, one thing I forgot to mention in my quick sum up:
- I open sourced all the plate files for HMKB
You can find and download them in the discord.

Offline 82d28a

« Reply #307 on: Thu, 23 July 2020, 19:25:05 »
As I had mentioned in my last post, this classic way of forum communication here is what I personally prefer. Once the discord server was up, it just felt like 99% happened there. I just went with it.

Can you created a discord channel just for updates to the GB?  I'm not a pro discord user and I do not see any obvious place with all the updates.

Also I would prefer updates here.

Thanks again for all your cool project.

Offline TetraEngine

« Reply #308 on: Sat, 01 August 2020, 23:57:42 »

Can you created a discord channel just for updates to the GB?  I'm not a pro discord user and I do not see any obvious place with all the updates.

Thanks again for all your cool project.

Yea I second that. It's hard to get updates in the group because of all the discussions going on and I don't check my discord everyday, so a dedicated Updates channel will be a big help!
Thank you and all the best for the GB, hope nothing gets delayed!

Offline Poesjuh

« Reply #309 on: Sun, 02 August 2020, 16:00:09 »
Nothing new here. One of the rules of GH is to post updates in the GH topic but for some reason runners always make a discord channel and end up posting 90% of updates only there. Nothing negative against plastic persé, just a shame it's pretty much always how it goes.

Offline saesh

« Reply #310 on: Mon, 03 August 2020, 00:53:09 »

As far as I understand updates will be posted here, only the chatter is happening in Discord.

« Reply #311 on: Mon, 03 August 2020, 02:21:38 »
Yes, no news. This was asked a few times on discord recently as well. Still, late Q3/September is my estimate for shipping, nothing has changed in that regard.
Basically when you don't see me post an update, then that's good. If I were to update anything now then it will either be about delay or shipping start.
OKAY, I get it, some would have probably hoped for some more insight on production and the different steps before shipping. Please understand that I'm not very good at doing lots of stuff in parallel. I'm busy with more than just the GB atm, that's all fine, but during the GB phase and in the following weeks, it felt like I was doing 100% discord communication and that kept me from doing anything else. So atm, my focuse is less on communication.

I get asked about address changes due to people moving quite often. Regarding that in general:
Sure no problem, I'll take care of address changes when shipping starts, then I'll do all address changes in one go.

Offline Rafa_n

« Reply #312 on: Fri, 04 September 2020, 13:51:29 »
is this still scheduled to ship this month?

« Reply #313 on: Fri, 04 September 2020, 13:58:34 »

Next week I should be able to be more specific about the timeline ahead.
Shorter: update next week.

Offline kajahtaa

« Reply #314 on: Wed, 09 September 2020, 23:12:05 »
Update was posted in Discord today

Offline rys

« Reply #315 on: Sun, 13 September 2020, 10:11:14 »
Can someone paste the Discord update here?

Offline kajahtaa

« Reply #316 on: Sun, 13 September 2020, 11:00:38 »
Its a few pages however

Offline sagarsiddhpura

« Reply #317 on: Sun, 13 September 2020, 13:37:47 »

TLDR:
There is a delay. Covid did not have an impact but delay was due to 1) Scale: expected 200, total orders 1000 2) Fear: Intimidated by scale and moving carefully 3) Details: Got lost in minute details when existing designs are already better and wasting time 4) Communication: Wasted time in answering discord instead of being productive 5) He is always late: He needed to keep this deadline so that he could work under pressure. Announcing delay early would mean he would relax and waste more time

More updates: "Even when I have the major case parts delivered, stuff like c-parts (for example screws and standoffs), packaging and the fulfillment itself can take quite some more time. At the moment it's still not possible for me to exactly tell a shipping date. For now let's just say Q4 - that way I'm sure I can deliver in time. Since I have some more pre production units now, I'll send some of them out for further preview to streamers"

I really wish he would start proving more frequent updates. Order was finalized, Boards entered production and seems they (some of them?) finished and are with runner but he didnt share a single update. All we got is this delay message after 3 and half months. I would request runner to be more transparent.

Offline bliss

« Reply #318 on: Fri, 02 October 2020, 15:37:50 »

Next week I should be able to be more specific about the timeline ahead.
Shorter: update next week.

Update was posted in Discord today

bliss don't discord.

(please post milestones and updates in this thread as well - remember, you have got hundreds of fans behind you and thus you will master this mammoth task :thumb:)

Offline azzipa

« Reply #319 on: Sat, 03 October 2020, 22:23:22 »
I have too many things making demands on my time without adding Discord to the 'to do' list. Please cross-post here for us those of us who are too busy or lazy or technologically challenged or whatever. IC and GB ran from here, updates should be here also. Thanks.

« Reply #320 on: Sun, 04 October 2020, 01:31:49 »
OP: I will post updates both here and on Discord!
Also OP: does not post updates here

Offline Mekberg

« Reply #321 on: Mon, 05 October 2020, 06:31:02 »
Last post in the Updates channel on Discord was on September 9th, so don't worry, you're not missing much of anything. Quoting it below, for reference:

Okay, sooo WHEN?

Well, production itself isn't really taking a lot of time. Organizing around it is what takes most of the time. Even when I have the major case parts delivered, stuff like c-parts (for example screws and standoffs), packaging and the fulfillment itself can take quite some more time. At the moment it's still not possible for me to exactly tell a shipping date. For now let's just say Q4 - that way I'm sure I can deliver in time. Please keep in mind that almost every other GB that started around the same time will have you waiting at least until Q1, next year - in this context I still consider HMKB to be pretty quick.

I hope you understand and bear with me.

« Reply #322 on: Mon, 05 October 2020, 12:39:31 »
Its not about missing much or not, its about OP not posting here when he promised to do so.

Offline kajahtaa

« Reply #323 on: Mon, 05 October 2020, 13:40:45 »
SKB was pretty slow for maybe 1/5th as many orders as HMKB

See you kids summer 2021.... ahahhhaha

Offline bliss

« Reply #324 on: Wed, 07 October 2020, 08:40:04 »
Last post in the Updates channel on Discord was on September 9th, so don't worry, you're not missing much of anything. Quoting it below, for reference:

Okay, sooo WHEN?

Well, production itself isn't really taking a lot of time. Organizing around it is what takes most of the time. Even when I have the major case parts delivered, stuff like c-parts (for example screws and standoffs), packaging and the fulfillment itself can take quite some more time. At the moment it's still not possible for me to exactly tell a shipping date. For now let's just say Q4 - that way I'm sure I can deliver in time. Please keep in mind that almost every other GB that started around the same time will have you waiting at least until Q1, next year - in this context I still consider HMKB to be pretty quick.

I hope you understand and bear with me.

Thank you for posting that here!

I'm cool with it all, just wanted to state that I am probably not going to check the Discord, call me old-fashioned...

« Reply #325 on: Fri, 09 October 2020, 14:57:48 »

TLDR:
There is a delay. Covid did not have an impact but delay was due to 1) Scale: expected 200, total orders 1000 2) Fear: Intimidated by scale and moving carefully 3) Details: Got lost in minute details when existing designs are already better and wasting time 4) Communication: Wasted time in answering discord instead of being productive 5) He is always late: He needed to keep this deadline so that he could work under pressure. Announcing delay early would mean he would relax and waste more time

More updates: "Even when I have the major case parts delivered, stuff like c-parts (for example screws and standoffs), packaging and the fulfillment itself can take quite some more time. At the moment it's still not possible for me to exactly tell a shipping date. For now let's just say Q4 - that way I'm sure I can deliver in time. Since I have some more pre production units now, I'll send some of them out for further preview to streamers"

Thanks for the TLDR of my discord update. I don't think I need to add anything to that, the full version is on discord. It's quite long.

I really wish he would start proving more frequent updates. Order was finalized, Boards entered production and seems they (some of them?) finished and are with runner but he didnt share a single update. All we got is this delay message after 3 and half months. I would request runner to be more transparent.

Guys, I know, some would feel more comfortable with more updates. Though not apparent here for those who don't use discord, I continued to be very active over there for quite some time after the GB order phase had ended and until just recently. I felt that I had to retreat from the constant communication because it was too time consuming and kept me from focusing on more important things. Hope you can understand that.

Sure, it's unfortunate that I had to announce a delay but keep in mind that the overall GB schedule was quite ambitious to begin with, afaik most GBs usually take longer. Could have been easier for me now if I had just set a later shipping time to begin with. Though I think it is overall better for the GB this way because if I really had given me more time, maybe I would have progressed slower which would have lead to a delay as well.

Offline Havattack

« Reply #326 on: Fri, 23 October 2020, 14:39:52 »
Apologies for the all to common "late to the party" post, but will there, or is there, any extras,or another round planned in the future?
If so, when and where?

Offline cpt-nic

« Reply #327 on: Fri, 23 October 2020, 14:50:27 »
According to the discord, extras will be available - and it seems like not only "some" but "many". Current estimate is Q4 2020.

Offline leski

« Reply #328 on: Mon, 09 November 2020, 01:14:38 »
Could anyone kindly send a valid discord invitation link? Thanks!

Offline ddnomad

« Reply #329 on: Mon, 09 November 2020, 01:33:12 »
Could anyone kindly send a valid discord invitation link? Thanks!
https://discord.gg/J6977aweBe

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #330 on: Sun, 15 November 2020, 14:39:57 »
Q4 almost over

Treeleaf slowly becomes angry

The chance of shipping is like finding a four leaf clover

I don't think it will happen soon, frankly

:mad:
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline norb

« Reply #331 on: Sun, 15 November 2020, 14:51:42 »
Q4 almost over

almost over? we're literally at  50% of q4 bro.
if a few months delay makes you angry, i hope for you that you didn't take part in the gmk dracula gb, which will have at least 9 months delay from the original ship date.

Offline Rafa_n

« Reply #332 on: Sun, 15 November 2020, 16:09:52 »
Q4 almost over

almost over? we're literally at  50% of q4 bro.
if a few months delay makes you angry, i hope for you that you didn't take part in the gmk dracula gb, which will have at least 9 months delay from the original ship date.

Just because some GBs take longer doesn't mean that every other one also should.

It's understandable for people to get antsy when the GB runner announces a delay in the same month the product is scheduled to ship, and then gives no further meaningful update for the next 2 months.

" For now let's just say Q4 - that way I'm sure I can deliver in time. "

I don't really mind waiting, but some more frequent updates would be nice, even if you have to communicate that there are more delays. I would rather get another delay update in November than like 2 weeks before the end of Q4.

Or maybe production is going well and this will actually ship in Q4, who knows.

Offline Shikada

« Reply #333 on: Mon, 16 November 2020, 04:45:01 »
There's no meaningful update, and GB runner is avoiding Discord for a while now...

Offline Shikada

« Reply #334 on: Mon, 16 November 2020, 09:07:07 »
We just got an update, here's a copy for those not in the Discord server:

UPDATE

Currently the obstacle which holds off the progress of this group buy is getting a suitable space for all the parts, qc, packing and shipping.
I had already mentioned this in my last message which I had addressed at everyone. So far this is an issue that I had not imagined would turn out to be that problematic and I still don't have a solution for this. Currently I have two options in sight and hopefully I will get a positive answer in about two weeks from now. I'm very optimistic that at least one of the options will work out.

I understand that it is frustrating to wait. I'm very sorry for that.

There was the poll about which streamer should get the latest pre production units. Those will go out in about two weeks from now.

Something else:
I noticed that the #general chatroom has been occupied by trolls lately. I would appreciate suggestions on how to deal with those. I know some of you have already muted those individuals but I hope there is a general solution for this. Thanks.

« Reply #335 on: Mon, 16 November 2020, 09:10:38 »
There's no meaningful update, and GB runner is avoiding Discord for a while now...

I'm not avoiding discord. I chat there regularly. There just isn't anything to update about atm. Here is the situation...

« Reply #336 on: Mon, 16 November 2020, 09:11:39 »
We just got an update, here's a copy for those not in the Discord server:

UPDATE

Currently the obstacle which holds off the progress of this group buy is getting a suitable space for all the parts, qc, packing and shipping.
I had already mentioned this in my last message which I had addressed at everyone. So far this is an issue that I had not imagined would turn out to be that problematic and I still don't have a solution for this. Currently I have two options in sight and hopefully I will get a positive answer in about two weeks from now. I'm very optimistic that at least one of the options will work out.

There was the poll about which streamer should get the latest pre production units. Those will go out in about two weeks from now.

Something else:
I noticed that the #general chatroom has been occupied by trolls lately. I would appreciate suggestions on how to deal with those. I know some of you have already muted those individuals but I hope there is a general solution for this. Thanks.

Damn, you are quick, I just wanted to post this here, let me do it anyway...

« Reply #337 on: Mon, 16 November 2020, 09:12:16 »
UPDATE

So far this is an issue that I had not imagined would turn out to be that problematic and I still don't have a solution for this. Currently I have two options in sight and hopefully I will get a positive answer in about two weeks from now. I'm very optimistic that at least one of the options will work out.

Offline TheNeonKnight

« Reply #338 on: Mon, 16 November 2020, 09:35:21 »
Sad I just found this group buy today, would have totally snagged a 60%.

« Reply #339 on: Mon, 16 November 2020, 09:36:38 »
there will be extras ;)

Offline TheNeonKnight

« Reply #340 on: Mon, 16 November 2020, 09:47:38 »
Ill keep an eye out, then.

Offline azzipa

« Reply #341 on: Mon, 16 November 2020, 10:11:14 »
Please post here with info. I'm also on your Discord but sometimes hard to wade through new messages if I don't keep up. Definitely considering a 65

there will be extras ;)

Offline prizeS

• TastyKeys
« Reply #342 on: Mon, 16 November 2020, 11:10:43 »
UPDATE

So far this is an issue that I had not imagined would turn out to be that problematic and I still don't have a solution for this. Currently I have two options in sight and hopefully I will get a positive answer in about two weeks from now. I'm very optimistic that at least one of the options will work out.

seems like that is a bit of oversight that should have been ironed out prior to offering an unlimited GB. nonetheless, GL and hoping to receive my 95 soon.
i lub 65% and wkl tkl.

Offline Rafa_n

« Reply #343 on: Fri, 20 November 2020, 12:30:57 »
"For now let's just say Q4 - that way I'm sure I can deliver in time."

So, it is my understanding that production has not started yet? Just tell us it's not Q4 anymore.

I found this fantastic video on the HMKB Discord:

« Reply #344 on: Fri, 20 November 2020, 12:37:38 »
nice video!

Offline kraize

« Reply #345 on: Fri, 20 November 2020, 13:19:40 »
So, let me get this straight. You started a GB (unlimited, nonetheless) in April without any idea on logistics?!? Then you proceeded to sell 1000+ units at an average of $150 to amount to $150k and now it is November (7 months later) and NO production has started yet. There is STILL no place to house the boards and no updates were sent out? LOL. Glad I didn't go in on this.

Offline Kokaloo

• 🤘(• ω •)🤙
« Reply #346 on: Fri, 20 November 2020, 13:22:35 »
nice video!

Offline Timbersawdust

• aka snorlax
« Reply #347 on: Fri, 20 November 2020, 13:52:53 »
nice video!

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #348 on: Fri, 20 November 2020, 14:57:37 »
lmao

Offline prizeS

• TastyKeys
« Reply #349 on: Fri, 20 November 2020, 15:22:27 »
nice video!

this response is not a good look. shows more about you than the people asking for constant updates, honestly.

there's a reason people are not happy with how things are turning out, and the nonchalant, standoffish responses to paying customers are just fanning the flames. more transparency and less radio silence is needed, and stop guaranteeing deadlines you can't meet.
i lub 65% and wkl tkl.