Author Topic: Stiffness over time - Cherry MX Blue  (Read 3127 times)

Offline Lolcakes

Stiffness over time - Cherry MX Blue
« on: Fri, 09 September 2011, 18:05:40 »
Hi there!

I came across something weird about my keyboard. Or well, at least i dont know if its supposed to be normal.

So I bought a Filco Majestouch 2 with blue switches, almost 2 months ago. Yes I am enjoying the board. However I have the feeling that the switches are becoming more stiff over time.

Not long after I bought the keyboard I attempted to do a "Ripometer" reading on the switches. I live in England but I didnt have enough 20p coins (which are supposed to be 5g each according to the ripometer page and also this http://www.royalmint.com/Corporate/facts/coins/20pCoin.aspx )

//============== 2 months ago - 53.4g - 56.96g to actuation =============================

So i did it with 1p coins - according to this http://www.royalmint.com/Corporate/facts/coins/1pCoin.aspx they are 3.56g each. At the time the keys were actuating with 15 - 16 coins, no glue, which is supposed to be around 53.4g - 56.96g (I believe the left control was the one that needed a 16th penny)

//============== Tonight - 64.08g - 67.64g to actuation ================================

Anyways, i did another test tonight and I was shocked that I had to use more coins!
This is the Left Control, even with with 64.08g (18 coins) it doesnt actuate.
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 26238[/ATTACH]
A 19th coin is needed to make it click, which makes the weight 67.64g
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 26239[/ATTACH]

The letter keys refuse to actuate with 60.52g of weight (17 coins)
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 26240[/ATTACH]
And they finally click with 18 coins which is a weight of 64.08g
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 26241[/ATTACH]

//============= Summary (TL;DR Version) =====================================

My Filco Majestouch 2 TKL with cherry MX blues used to actuate with 53.4g - 56.96g weights about 1.5 - 2 months ago
and now they seem to actuate with 64.08g - 67.64g weights.

//============= Questions =================================================

- Do other members of this forum experience the same phenomena?
- Is this something normal and something that I can expect from the Cherry switches?
- What might be the possible reason for that behavior of the Cherry MX Blue switches?
- Is there a way to make the switches feel lighter?
- Is it a matter of lubricating any parts of the mechanism?
- Is there a chance that I might be measuring with the Ripometer incorrectly?

Offline Lolcakes

« Reply #1 on: Fri, 09 September 2011, 18:16:35 »
Nope, I don't smoke; The dust is random dust from my room. I took the pictures with my phone in poor lighting and the flash illuminated the ugly dust particles in a weird way, making them more obvious I guess.
Ive been cleaning between the keys with slightly moist piece of cloth every now and then. I don't consume food in near proximity to my keyboard either.
Also I haven't removed any key caps as of yet if this is of any relevance.

Thanks for your input.
I will be looking forward to any further ideas.

woody

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 10 September 2011, 05:23:15 »
Lolcakes, try removing a keycap, pushing the stem down and blowing some compressed air. Then measure again.

Offline Tony

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 10 September 2011, 07:44:48 »
Dust and vapour will oxidize or make the switches dirty, so I think it is normal. Frequent cleaning with compressed air may help.

Keyboards, like any computer accessory, are put to work best in clean, air-conditioned room to lengthen their usability.
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm

Offline Fawley

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 10 September 2011, 08:15:19 »
Why do you have a little burrito on your keyboard?

Offline Lolcakes

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 10 September 2011, 08:22:48 »
Thanks for the replies guys. I dont have compressed air but I am going to get one from ebay and try this. I am not sure exactly how dusty my room might be... I mean i do try to keep it clean.
In this part of the world there is high humidity in the air, do you think this might be a big factor in oxidizing my switches?

Also I measured the Scroll lock key just now.... it is a key I dont really use, ever. It actuates with 18 coins aswell (64.08g)

Offline Lolcakes

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 10 September 2011, 08:28:35 »
Quote from: Fawley;413875
Why do you have a little burrito on your keyboard?

Its not a burrito, this is part of Swedish history. A fossil from there. With some luck it might be a dinosaur :P
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 26312[/ATTACH]