Author Topic: I can't speak for Chloe or Sandy but...  (Read 4024 times)

Offline CX23882

I can't speak for Chloe or Sandy but...
« on: Fri, 20 November 2009, 15:34:30 »
...if they're anything like me, they grew sick of the petty arguments. I'm all for a bit of banter, but recently the "discussions" have descended into personal attacks. Even when not involved personally, it makes this a crap place to visit, no better than teenager-filled gaming/overclocking forums.

I've not contributed much to this place, so this is a drop in the ocean in terms of members, but I'm out of here.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 20 November 2009, 15:44:15 »
I was pretty surprised to see the first closed thread on Geekhack... I hope those involved will calm down a little bit...

EDIT: Oh wait, you can close your own threads. Still, point still stands.
« Last Edit: Fri, 20 November 2009, 15:47:14 by ch_123 »

Offline AndrewZorn

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 20 November 2009, 15:47:59 »
am i the only one that thought it was a joke the whole time?

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 20 November 2009, 15:49:30 »
Thought what was a joke?

Offline AndrewZorn

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 20 November 2009, 15:53:10 »
the thread that was closed
i didnt know anyone was being mean, i thought it was all just teasing

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 20 November 2009, 15:54:38 »
Hard to know. And if it is, it's getting pretty repetitive.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 20 November 2009, 16:03:22 »
I know I have some pretty ambiguous posts, and I only mean things in fun, but even I thought it was getting a little out of hand.  If it wasn't already, it seemed like it was about to.  We have had some nasty threads closed before when things got out of hand between some members.  I, for one, would like to make sure this doesn't happen again.

Offline rdjack21

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 20 November 2009, 16:48:33 »
Quote from: ripster;134724
i closed the post - was just heading out the door and thought it was about to get out of hand.  Get's kinda repetitious.  Trolling starts.  People with nothing in the game egging it on.  Blowup.  Webwit enters with scorched earth policy.  Gets old.

Yes it does. After it really started to head off and you started to try to get it back on track I left it alone. But still watched it a little.

Quote from: ripster;134724

It IS pretty bad when someone can't get a keyboard and have other people say, "hey, nice keyboard".   Sigh.

The problem is when you post lego pictures I equate that with you trying to make some kind of joke so I and I think others thought the whole thread was a big joke.

I of all people understand where you are coming from when you get a nice new keyboard that you would like to share then instead of "hey, nice keyboard" you get things like "why did you spend so much money on a keyboard" or even worse. I've pretty much learned to ignore those types of posts but it is still something I'm going to have to put up with seeing that I have found that I really like one of the more expensive keyboards out there.

I don't mind a little banter but it really has been getting out of hand lately. I try not to take part in it to much myself but sometimes I get sucked in and join in when maybe I should not. I will try to restrain myself more in the future.

Also sorry that your thread headed off in a direction other than the one you intended. Because like you I do get excited when I have a new board on the way and want to talk about it.
Keyboards
Topre Capacitive: Realforce 87U, Realforce 86U, HHKB Pro 2, Topre MD01B0, Topre HE0100, Sun Short Type, OEM NEO CS (x2), NISSHO Electronics KB106DE
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M Space Saver (1291472), Unicomp Customizer x 2
Cherry Brown: Filco FKBN87M/EB, Compaq MX11800
Black Alps: ABS M1
Not so great boards Rare Spring over dome OKI, Sun rack keyboard

Trackballs - Trackman Wheel (3), Trackman marble (2)
Keyboards I still want to get - Happy Hacking Keyboard Pro 2 the White version, Realforce 23U number pad in black and maybe white, μTRON ergo board with Topre switches.
Previously owned - [size=0]SiiG MiniTouch (White Alps), Scorpius M10 (Blue Cherry), IBM Model M13[/size]

Offline AndrewZorn

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 20 November 2009, 16:51:04 »
well, everyone's so serious all of the sudden.

Offline msiegel

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 20 November 2009, 17:00:44 »
self assessment is always a good idea...

now, how about  a donut :)

and just imagine what we could accomplish if we all put our heads together

;)

Filco Zero (Fukka) AEKII sliders and keycaps * Filco Tenkeyless MX brown * IBM F/AT parts: modding
Model F Mod Log * Open Source Generic keyboard controller

Offline AndrewZorn

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 20 November 2009, 17:08:34 »
also, all this talk about leaving, but no joke yet of an escape key?

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 20 November 2009, 17:11:04 »
I hate it when I miss a good fight. Great, now what am I going to do?

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 20 November 2009, 17:11:53 »
Who's leaving?

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 20 November 2009, 21:20:42 »
Webwit, you're my hero.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 20 November 2009, 21:42:10 »
what'd I miss?

i posted just once today, so pls dont blame me for it. I'm hardly posting at all these days.

And rippy, no it wasnt bad like you think.  Andrew's condensed version pretty much summed it up.  

What can I say, filcos are not my favorite. They're yours, and thats fine. You can celebrate them and I'll diss them. Whats wrong with that? You diss alps all the time. Its the same thing.

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline AndrewZorn

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 20 November 2009, 21:55:02 »
you know, its funny
the condensed version was MEANT to be a complete opposite, to trick ripster into reading it and responding to it
but once i had posted it, i realized that it actually kind of was the truth

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 20 November 2009, 21:58:54 »
Quote from: AndrewZorn;134802
you know, its funny
the condensed version was MEANT to be a complete opposite, to trick ripster into reading it and responding to it
but once i had posted it, i realized that it actually kind of was the truth

lol!

Your condensed version is all I've ever meant to say. :)  When my BP comes down anyway.

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 20 November 2009, 22:12:24 »
Quote from: webwit;134749
Someone boring who prefers boring people with no conflicting opinions, just so no one ever gets upset and everything smooths along. You might as well kill yourself if the world would be like this, where mediocrity is championed. At least in the end he finally managed to attack everybody at once, posing moral superiority. Hell yeah! I knew two people like that. In the end both weaklings and *******s. One, it turned out, had been hitting his wife for years. Well, at least he did not **** little kids. The other was the first to walk out when a friend was getting through a tough time, learning who was real and who were his real friends in the end. Hell yeah.

[strike]ripster, was this one of "geekhack's finer moments"? I'm genuinely curious what you think. I feel like I'm just asking for a little consistency, is all. You dont have to answer of course.  No biggie. I mean if you're referring to my one post today that way, I'm just curious what you think of webwit's stream of abuse, thats all. Is that too much for me to ask you directly? Just wonderin'. No biggie, like I said.[/strike]

never mind bro. its all good.
« Last Edit: Fri, 20 November 2009, 22:27:21 by wellington1869 »

Offline CX23882

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 21 November 2009, 05:47:29 »
Quote from: webwit;134749
You might as well kill yourself

Maybe one day you'll push somebody to do that. I really hope that the police come knocking on your door if you do. I thought until now that perhaps I've been misinterpreting your Dutch humour, but I now realise that you're simply a grade-A arsehole.

I'm not going to waste any more time reading this, so call me whatever the **** you want. Although there are decent people here, they're more than offset by your personality.