Author Topic: [IC] mako.TKL - Top mount WKL TKL - 10/14 RAFFLE  (Read 31528 times)

Offline qluboards

[IC] mako.TKL - Top mount WKL TKL - 10/14 RAFFLE
« on: Tue, 28 July 2020, 01:01:00 »
Qlu.boards
mako.TKL
A classic top-mounted WKL TKL
248149-0

GB Thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=109009.0

Table of Contents
1. Introduction
2. Design, Specs, Renders
3. GB details
4. Google Form
5. Thanks
6. FAQ
7. Built Prototype
8. Sound Test

1. Introduction
I love sharks. And you should too.

2. Design, Specs, Renders
I, and the community as a whole, has been on a bit of a 60/65 and gasketing bender recently so I decided to take a step back and go with a more classic TKL utilizing top-mount. 4 mounting points on the top, 3 on the bottom. The 3 mounting points on the bottom specifically spaced out to avoid making the spacebar feel like a brick (thanks OTD). Both brass and polycarbonate will be available as plate choices so the typing feel can be made softer if desired.

Given the shark theme for the mako.TKL, I took some creative liberties to further that. I intentionally kept the case as thin and streamlined as possible to mimic the shortfin mako's ultra-hydrodynamic body. Additionally, I designed the side profile to look like a shark's jaws as its' mouth opens. Lastly, I have "shark" 鯊魚 engraved on the weight in traditional Mandarin as a nod to my own familial heritage. Overall, my goal was to create a classic and elegant keyboard with just a little spice of "new". And of course sharks.

Specs:
- Top: Anodized Aluminum 6061 (Pantone 533C)
- Bottom: Anodized Aluminum 6061 (Pantone 14-4102tcx)
- Top mount plate: (Brass or PC option depending on desired feel)
- Weight: Brass PVD and/or Polished Stainless Steel (depending on prototype quality)
- PCB: h87c provided and tested by hineybush
- WKL layout (split backspace, split R shift, stepped caps)
- 6° typing angle
- est. 2.1kg unbuilt (brass plate/brass weight)
- Color options: Navy/Navy OR Navy/Light Grey

Renders:
248149-1
248151-2
248153-3
248155-4
248157-5
248159-6

3. Group Buy Details
Limited Quantity: 35-40 units available.
I am a 1-man operation and my focus is on providing a timely and quality product so, even if there's interest, I unfortunately won't be able to take on any more than that. It is possible that there will be a couple extras depending on how many of the boards pass QC.

Likely price: ~$420 + shipping.

Kicker: While current manu/shipping costs are quite high due to the current climate, this has been a passion project for me as I do love keyboards and I do love sharks.
As such, if this project proves to be profitable beyond $500, I will donate $500 to the shark charity SHARK STEWARDS in their effort to not just preserve the shark ecosystem, but also to restore coral reefs.
More info on their amazing cause can be found here: https://sharkstewards.org/

Current Status: Quotes received from multiple manufacturers. I have chosen 2 to proceed with and will be ordering protos from each in the coming days to compare quality before making a final decision.

4. Interest Check Form
https://forms.gle/6t6ukzsQzs3yecM86

5. Thanks
Thank you to:
OtherAndrew for responding tirelessly to my questions/concerns
CJT for the renders
hiney for the PCBs and answers to my questions
ai03 for creating a fantastic design community
the community for normalizing our obsession with expensive chunks of metal

6. FAQ
First off, I want to thank the community for all the support. There were a ton of responses to the IC form and a lot of good suggestions. Please find some of the FAQ below and my response to them:
Hot-swap?
Not on this project sorry. I already have other designs in mind for future projects that would probably lend themselves more to a hotswap style.

Add additional colors? Namely purple/black/e-white.
Those 3 colors were definitely the most popular in IC responses. In keeping with the theme, I don't think purple or e-white are going to be on the docket this time around. However, I do think black or a dark space grey could be solid. Will probably end up offering one of those.

Tiny logo/design on the top?
Yes! After playing around with and consulting some more on the jaws around the USB-C, I ultimately decided that it couldn't be implemented as well as I would require it to be. However, I am ordering the prototype with a small subtle mako tooth design for some additional flair on the top piece. For those who are unaware, shortfin makos have extremely distinctive narrow teeth which are designed to pierce and grab onto prey even at high speeds. This is in comparison to flatter more triangular teeth that are commonly seen which serve to serrate through tough flesh and bones.

Carbon fiber plate?
I won't be providing CF plates on my own for this run. However, I am more than happy to release the plate files so owners can cut plates from whichever material they choose!

7. Prototype
Thanks for everyone's responses to the IC.
Prototype Pics (w/ Metropolis):
252968-7
252970-8
252972-9
252974-10
252976-11
252978-12
252980-13
252982-14
252984-15

8. Typing Test
https://soundcloud.com/qlu-boards/makotkl-typing-test-1/s-Mb40HEwbEiU
« Last Edit: Sun, 11 October 2020, 14:41:36 by qluboards »

Offline -Jerry-

• OR '1'='1'
    • Jerry Talks Tech
Re: [IC] mako.TKL - Top mount WKL TKL
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 28 July 2020, 01:05:42 »
Have you thought about adding some detailing to the top plate to go along with the name, like the Whale did?

With the only mention of the name being used on the weight, it looks like every other TKL with blockers from the top down.
"Romeo"     "Split75"   "Melody96"     "KBD8X MKII"     "Womier K87"

Offline .

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 28 July 2020, 01:10:53 »
Nice rectangle

Offline //gainsborough

• ALPSの日常
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 28 July 2020, 01:12:24 »
saw the title and got excited because of a different type of 'mako'.  I'm not disappointed though, this looks really nice!

Offline qluboards

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 28 July 2020, 01:16:28 »
Have you thought about adding some detailing to the top plate to go along with the name, like the Whale did?

With the only mention of the name being used on the weight, it looks like every other TKL with blockers from the top down.
I did! Actually my first iteration of the design had an engraving of jaws enveloping the USBC cutout as if it was eating it essentially. After some deliberation between those I was consulting with, though, it seemed that opinion on it was pretty hit or miss so I ended up scrapping it as it would be additional cost anyways. Admittedly, the sample size was small and I would be open to returning to that design. I actually still have it ready, perhaps I could have one of the 2 protos made with the jaws to see how it fits with the design in person.

saw the title and got excited because of a different type of 'mako'.  I'm not disappointed though, this looks really nice!

Thank you! Much appreciated.

Offline //gainsborough

• ALPSの日常
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 28 July 2020, 01:18:18 »

1000 hours in paint.

Offline -Jerry-

• OR '1'='1'
    • Jerry Talks Tech
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 28 July 2020, 01:19:00 »

Show Image

1000 hours in paint.
Truly a master of the form!
"Romeo"     "Split75"   "Melody96"     "KBD8X MKII"     "Womier K87"

Offline //gainsborough

• ALPSの日常
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 28 July 2020, 01:21:27 »

I did! Actually my first iteration of the design had an engraving of jaws enveloping the USBC cutout as if it was eating it essentially. After some deliberation between those I was consulting with, though, it seemed that opinion on it was pretty hit or miss so I ended up scrapping it as it would be additional cost anyways. Admittedly, the sample size was small and I would be open to returning to that design. I actually still have it ready, perhaps I could have one of the 2 protos made with the jaws to see how it fits with the design in person.

This is a really cool idea!!!

Offline kokugatsu

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 28 July 2020, 01:40:32 »
Props for using traditional Chinese characters, looks way more elegant than simplified  :thumb:

Offline DaddyPhill

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 28 July 2020, 01:46:39 »
Nice board! Definitely interested.

Offline FlitzDeelman

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 28 July 2020, 02:47:11 »
Hooray for a good TKL!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Hdjekso

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 28 July 2020, 04:31:50 »
Will this be FCFS or raffle?

Offline yenel

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 28 July 2020, 04:52:21 »
I'm on the minimal side of things and would prefer the board retain its clean and sleek look. The things that make it unique are kind of... subtle though, so I don't entirely disagree with what the others have said about adding a design or something
Plastic GH60 | Rukia 1.5 | Orion v2.5 | Kei | Aria | Ciel Proto | Room40 | Jelly60 & Pro | TFV2 | Phantom TKL

G80-1800 | IBM M122 | AEK M0115 | AEK II M3501 | Zenith Z-150 | SGI Granite & Beige

Offline KCK

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 28 July 2020, 08:38:30 »
Wouldn't it be better to just have 4 bumpons instead of 5?

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 28 July 2020, 09:14:10 »
Shark has good form.
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline Leir

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 28 July 2020, 09:15:28 »
Defo interested

Offline chriszhu

• (* ̄(エ) ̄*)''
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 28 July 2020, 09:17:12 »
🦈 Nice

Offline qluboards

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 28 July 2020, 09:24:19 »
I'm on the minimal side of things and would prefer the board retain its clean and sleek look. The things that make it unique are kind of... subtle though, so I don't entirely disagree with what the others have said about adding a design or something
That is the look and feel that I was going for as opinion seems to be pretty split on the addition of extra flair or keeping it classic. Any thoughts on the design mentioned above? My first iteration included a laser engraving of shark jaws enveloping the USB cutout, but was removed after some feedback indicating people preferred a cleaner look.

Hooray for a good TKL!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks!

Will this be FCFS or raffle?

I naturally lean towards raffle as I think it's a better and less frustrating system. Open to suggestions though. Could also do something fun like a small puzzle?

Props for using traditional Chinese characters, looks way more elegant than simplified  :thumb:

Thanks homie. Family is from Taiwan so always been partial to traditional.

Offline IMZO

• Matrix shill, and TKL WKL Lover
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 28 July 2020, 09:43:13 »
Simple and elegant.. nice!
More
Current boards: Jane V2 CE , Matrix 1.2og Silver WKL , Matrix 2.0add coating black WKL, Matrix 2.0add WKL Coating yellow, Satisfaction75 R1 Cloud white, Korno65, Bloop65, HHKB Pro 2 white,Lin Whale Pink WKL, Gok 7v White, Gok 7v Black, Orion V3 Silver WKL, Orion V2.5 Red WKL, Geon F1-8x Silver WK, Haus65 BlueGray, Plume65, Vertigo, Frog TKL WKL GreenF13

Offline Kinesiologist

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 28 July 2020, 10:06:38 »
awesome board, looking forward to learning more about it :D

Offline ogp3

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 28 July 2020, 11:07:18 »
Keeping an eye on this board for sure! I love how clean it looks, but would also not be opposed to a small shark design on the top piece - something similar to the Lyn Whale, but without the text engraved, would look really cool I think.

Offline Hyphen

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 28 July 2020, 15:04:11 »
I'm keeping my eye on this. Can't really commit fully, but I'm definitely interested.

Offline cwoissant

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 28 July 2020, 18:03:00 »
I like the sleek look. I agree with others maybe adding another design element on top

Offline cemoon

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 28 July 2020, 18:14:21 »
I need this

Offline qluboards

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 28 July 2020, 21:29:26 »
Keeping an eye on this board for sure! I love how clean it looks, but would also not be opposed to a small shark design on the top piece - something similar to the Lyn Whale, but without the text engraved, would look really cool I think.
Thanks! I had an original design planned with engraved jaws encircling the USB cutout. After some deliberation, I scrapped the idea, but given community feedback, I'm currently looking into the possibility of adding something really small on the top piece. Will probs get it proto'd to see how it turns out. Make sure it doesn't interfere too much with the board's aesthetic.

Simple and elegant.. nice!
Appreciate the kind words!

I need this
Thanks mate!

I like the sleek look. I agree with others maybe adding another design element on top
Thanks! I had an original design planned with engraved jaws encircling the USB cutout. After some deliberation, I scrapped the idea, but given community feedback, I'm currently looking into the possibility of adding something really small on the top piece. Will probs get it proto'd to see how it turns out. Make sure it doesn't interfere too much with the board's aesthetic.

Offline yenel

« Reply #25 on: Tue, 28 July 2020, 23:00:14 »
That is the look and feel that I was going for as opinion seems to be pretty split on the addition of extra flair or keeping it classic. Any thoughts on the design mentioned above? My first iteration included a laser engraving of shark jaws enveloping the USB cutout, but was removed after some feedback indicating people preferred a cleaner look.
I like the sound of that design, although it would depend on what the shark jaws look like and if it affects the design language of the board. I'd personally be able to do without it though.
Adding a design to the top piece also sounds like a safe idea. I agree that it shouldn't interfere too much with the board's aesthetic. If you're open to suggestions, maybe something like 3-4 'slits' to represent gills? idk, i'm looking forward to whatever you end up doing
Plastic GH60 | Rukia 1.5 | Orion v2.5 | Kei | Aria | Ciel Proto | Room40 | Jelly60 & Pro | TFV2 | Phantom TKL

G80-1800 | IBM M122 | AEK M0115 | AEK II M3501 | Zenith Z-150 | SGI Granite & Beige

Offline qluboards

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 28 July 2020, 23:12:59 »
I like the sound of that design, although it would depend on what the shark jaws look like and if it affects the design language of the board. I'd personally be able to do without it though.
Adding a design to the top piece also sounds like a safe idea. I agree that it shouldn't interfere too much with the board's aesthetic. If you're open to suggestions, maybe something like 3-4 'slits' to represent gills? idk, i'm looking forward to whatever you end up doing

yoooo. LOL so i actually had gills on my first version also. Cutouts that stretched from the side profile to the bottom. Unfortunately that ended up being too expensive to machine and there were a ton of tiny corners inside it to manage.

IMO - the jaws design stuck out a bit too much. I'm currently playing around with either a fin design, or a mako tooth design. Shortfin Makos have really distinctive narrow teeth that differ from most sharks so I thought that might be a nice touch. Either way, if I do end up adding artwork on the top piece I intent on keeping it quite small so it's subtle, like a little nugget.

Offline qluboards

Re: [IC] mako.TKL - Top mount WKL TKL - UPDATE FAQ
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 29 July 2020, 21:46:33 »
Here's a copy of the FAQ I just added. Thanks everyone!

First off, I want to thank the community for all the support. There were a ton of responses to the IC form and a lot of good suggestions. Please find some of the FAQ below and my response to them:
Hot-swap?
Not on this project sorry. I already have other designs in mind for future projects that would probably lend themselves more to a hotswap style.

Add additional colors? Namely purple/black/e-white.
Those 3 colors were definitely the most popular in IC responses. In keeping with the theme, I don't think purple or e-white are going to be on the docket this time around. However, I do think black or a dark space grey could be solid. Will probably end up offering one of those.

Tiny logo/design on the top?
Yes! After playing around with and consulting some more on the jaws around the USB-C, I ultimately decided that it couldn't be implemented as well as I would require it to be. However, I am ordering the prototype with a small subtle mako tooth design for some additional flair on the top piece. For those who are unaware, shortfin makos have extremely distinctive narrow teeth which are designed to pierce and grab onto prey even at high speeds. This is in comparison to flatter more triangular teeth that are commonly seen which serve to serrate through tough flesh and bones.

Carbon fiber plate?
I won't be providing CF plates on my own for this run. However, I am more than happy to release the plate files so owners can cut plates from whichever material they choose!

Offline Bazookatooth

« Reply #28 on: Sun, 09 August 2020, 21:33:33 »
In the market for my first custom TKL in Navy.  If there are spots open I would definitely be interested.

Offline //gainsborough

• ALPSの日常
« Reply #29 on: Sun, 09 August 2020, 22:12:00 »
I blieve protos have still not been made yet - so still some time before GB

Offline Really_Just_AE

• I love me a good keyboard
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 10 August 2020, 22:38:34 »
Do you have a Discord server by chance?

Offline qluboards

« Reply #31 on: Tue, 11 August 2020, 23:09:55 »
In the market for my first custom TKL in Navy.  If there are spots open I would definitely be interested.

Thanks for the interest! There will be 35-40 slots open which I intend to raffle off within a time window. I'll update this thread and also create a GB thread once I'm sufficiently satisfied with the prototype.

I blieve protos have still not been made yet - so still some time before GB

Correct! I have two versions of the prototype arriving at the end of this week actually with both SS weights and PVD Brass weights. If the quality is up to snuff then I'll post pics/sound checks/next steps.

Do you have a Discord server by chance?

As of now I do not have a Discord server. My intentions are to create one in the future and once the GB is underway, that is definitely an option to keep everyone up to date with progress. If you've got any questions feel free to post here, or you can hit me up at my email: qluboards@gmail.com. Always happy to answer any questions you've got or just chill and talk boards.

Offline cspirou

« Reply #32 on: Thu, 13 August 2020, 03:27:10 »
I need WK but otherwise this is exactly what I want

Offline ThePanduuh

• Discord @ThePanduuh#0001
« Reply #33 on: Thu, 13 August 2020, 07:36:48 »

Little soldier boy, come marching home.
Bias BE | Polaris | Frog | Matrix 8xv2.0 Add | Iron165 SE | HHKB Pro 2 Type-S | Cypher

Offline ogp3

« Reply #34 on: Fri, 14 August 2020, 12:11:25 »
Definitely would be interested in a grey or dark grey! But love the navy as well - can't wait to see how this develops :)

Offline Anthixious

« Reply #35 on: Fri, 14 August 2020, 13:05:55 »

Little soldier boy, come marching home.

BOI, don't drag me down that road, I still tear up from this scene  :)) :(

Offline cemoon

« Reply #36 on: Fri, 14 August 2020, 17:21:18 »
any idea for raffle time?

Offline chunkgamergod

• :)
« Reply #37 on: Fri, 14 August 2020, 20:01:14 »
looks great man! super excited!

Offline qluboards

« Reply #38 on: Fri, 14 August 2020, 20:32:37 »
any idea for raffle time?

Prototype should be in hand next week. I've got all the quotes and PCBs ready so if proto quality is good, will be moving forward from there. I'll be updating this thread with pics/sound tests if sastisfactory.

I need WK but otherwise this is exactly what I want

I feel ya. Unfortunately, since the quantity is so small, additional layout and color options makes it a huge pain as i need extras of each type as insurance. Hope you're still interested!

looks great man! super excited!

Thanks mate!

Offline thriftywalnut

« Reply #39 on: Wed, 02 September 2020, 11:02:48 »
Any updates on the proto? Looking forward to seeing this in groupbuy.

Offline yorsem

« Reply #40 on: Wed, 02 September 2020, 19:03:31 »

I second this

Offline qluboards

« Reply #41 on: Sun, 06 September 2020, 01:54:47 »

I second this

Absolutely. I was trying to keep it as classic as possible (just my taste) but the IC form showed there was a pretty large audience that would be interested in some detailing. I added an extra part to my proto order to include a second top that has a laser engraving of a mako tooth above the arrow cluster. I'll be comparing the two tops to see if the additional design is too intrusive or if it's just the right amount of spice.

Any updates on the proto? Looking forward to seeing this in groupbuy.

Yes! Proto is about to be finished from the factory. I expect to have it in hand some time next week for inspection and iteration.

Offline yorsem

« Reply #42 on: Tue, 08 September 2020, 22:20:24 »

I second this

Absolutely. I was trying to keep it as classic as possible (just my taste) but the IC form showed there was a pretty large audience that would be interested in some detailing. I added an extra part to my proto order to include a second top that has a laser engraving of a mako tooth above the arrow cluster. I'll be comparing the two tops to see if the additional design is too intrusive or if it's just the right amount of spice.

That sounds awesome, thank you!

Offline elisyan

« Reply #43 on: Mon, 14 September 2020, 03:28:01 »
I think the two tone aesthetic is executed very well here.

I personally think having a logo above the arrow cluster could potentially distract from the simplicity but I believe something subtle and symmetrical would also work well (subtle like the Matrix 1.2OG stripe).

Offline ogp3

« Reply #44 on: Fri, 02 October 2020, 12:37:12 »
eagerly waiting updates on this ^-^

Offline qluboards

Re: [IC] mako.TKL - Top mount WKL TKL - COMPLETED PROTOTYPE + SOUND TEST
« Reply #45 on: Sat, 03 October 2020, 16:14:42 »
eagerly waiting updates on this ^-^

Thank you! Please find the completed prototype pics as well as typing test sound file above! LMK what you think

I think the two tone aesthetic is executed very well here.

I personally think having a logo above the arrow cluster could potentially distract from the simplicity but I believe something subtle and symmetrical would also work well (subtle like the Matrix 1.2OG stripe).

That was my original thought as well. However, I have to admit I think the laser engraved mako tooth is quite a nice touch and the quality is solid from the manu. Take a look at the updated initial post and LMK what you think!

Offline yorsem

« Reply #46 on: Sat, 03 October 2020, 17:33:00 »
Typing test sounds great and the prototype photos look amazing!

Offline dopzy

« Reply #47 on: Sat, 03 October 2020, 18:06:01 »
I'm loving this board. Thanks for the many prototype pictures with better views of the sides and the two-tone colour scheme. Typing test sounds great!

Offline aadk5

• AKA: feeebleminded
« Reply #48 on: Sat, 03 October 2020, 20:19:26 »
Proto looks great; the navy turned out awesome

Offline Eerricc

« Reply #49 on: Sun, 04 October 2020, 04:19:09 »
Shark?

A

Sent from my COL-L29 using Tapatalk