Author Topic: Never intro'd myself so here it is!  (Read 1768 times)

Offline hotlikedimes

Never intro'd myself so here it is!
« on: Sat, 10 November 2012, 11:41:36 »
Hi guys, posted a bit already but I like these intro threads so here goes!

I'm a junior/senior in college studying computer science, and I have an associates in computer networking (cisco certs/windows server certs).

I got into keyboards about 2 years ago when my friend brought in his blackwidow ultimate and I decided that it was godlike in comparison to the logitech g110 that I had been using prior.  I immediately went and bought one and have been sold on mechanical keyboards ever since. 

Made a world of difference in gaming, even games like WoW (where I played a mage so I hit roughly 4 buttons on average) but then my buddies got me into SC2 and Hon which led to Dota2 when invites started to get out there a bit more.  Never got into SC2 that that much, I like watching it but don't have the time / want to put the time into getting to a semi-pro level, so I dedicated a lot more time to Dota2 where some of my friends and I played on a semi-pro level, entering tournaments and the like which was a lot of fun, we even got together for a week and had a bootcamp in my kitchen. 

got my Ducky a couple weeks ago as I decided that I was tired of the BWU for a couple reasons, 1. build quality is meh and it feels a bit weak, and 2. it's wide enough that my shoulders hurt after long gaming sessions cause my hands have to be out farther than my shoulders which is rather uncomfortable if you haven't experienced it... Also I wanted to try out something other than blue's so I got my 1087 with chinese keycaps and mx-blacks and I love it! Kinda sucks for coding, but it's kicking me into finding a TKL with blue's and equally interesting keycaps, trying to find one with Korean keycaps but GLHF with that...

That's about it! I like the community a lot already, had some really good interactions and I hope to be able to add a lot to the community as I learn more and more about mechanical keyboards and get more of my own!

oh and I'm addicted to keycaps already...

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Never intro'd myself so here it is!
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 10 November 2012, 16:04:36 »
Welcome to Geekhack (if I haven't already said so elsewhere).

Another BWU refuge ;)

How is your wallet holding up?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline hotlikedimes

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 10 November 2012, 19:26:55 »
So far it's good haha, only spent 15 on caps from khangaroo, and bought a teamliquid cap for 3.75.  The money is going to flow once I sell my BWU and get a new mx-blue TKL... My ducky (pics are up in the "what have you added today" thread) has chinese caps so I'm only swapping out the insert/home cluster, f-row and ctrl/alt etc keys.  so those I'm being a bit more meticulous about, but whatever mx-blue TKL I decide on may get a full overhaul in which case my wallet will be crying..

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 10 November 2012, 21:39:54 »
The addiction has started then - it doesn't take long.  Nice Ducky btw :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 10 November 2012, 23:18:51 »
Fight For Freedom. Stand with Hong Kongers