Author Topic: [IC] Typeau Planck  (Read 11102 times)

Offline typeaudesign

• Typeau Design.
[IC] Typeau Planck
« on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 05:40:12 »

Hello everyone,

Because of high traffic I went over my 10GB of image serving cap. For the mean time you can view my renders on Dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rbdv1c1xls87303/AAApt9AcHdFuWCTg1bKCwOQXa?dl=0

TL;DR below :)

In December a colleague pushed me down the keyboard rabbit hole. I did my first keyboard-related purchase that month and many more followed.

After I bought in on the Olivia++ group buy, I was needed a keyboard. After exploring the market and the possibilities, I settled on a Tofu 65 Grey kit to pair with the Olivias. Meanwhile, another colleague kept raving about ortholinear keyboards, which I first thought where ridiculous :D. After he received his Planck and brought it into work, I had to try this alien keyboard. I already found the switch from a full-sized keyboard to a 65% quite a big deal.
He offered me to borrow his Preonic to test out my switches. Which led to me buying a Planck not long after.

A month later, I was absolutely in love with this thing. The simplicity, the feel, the size. Everything! I took this keyboard everywhere I went as it was simply amazing and easy to carry. However, I felt it missed a type angle. This was fuel for my design choices and soon Fusion 360 consumed the better parts of nights.

Two months later, I met Stef (aka /u/Stewiedk97). Stef is the guy behind the Kotai case for both Planck and Preonic. He offered to help by reviewing my design and provide feedback. After some design changes, I ordered my first 3D printed prototype for a rough test fit. This was a little bit of a fail as I slightly messed up my USB cutout. I adjusted my design and ordered an SLS printed prototype, which helped me type this post.

TL;DR: Meet Typeau Planck, a chunky, angled, high profile aluminum case for the famous OLKB Planck.

Features:
- 6-degree typing angle
- High profile
- Aluminum 6060
- 5mm thick walls
- Hole in the bottom for the reset button
- Compatible with OLKB Planck PCB, plate, screws, and standoffs
- Tray mounted

Color options:
- Black (of course)
- White
- Dark blue
- Dark Gray

Other colors can be suggested in the IC form.

I’m currently still in the prototype phase and going through some small design revisions based on the outcome of my prototypes and feedback. Also, the branding position and font are not final.

Pricing:
I can't tell you anything about Pricing just yet as I'm discussing the production of my case with multiple manufacturers. As soon as I have more info, I will provide an update.

Shipping:
Shipping is a total ****show right now as DHL is asking almost 50 euro's per package. I hope by the time I can start sending, shipping prices are back to normal. So in case of normal shipping prices:
- €15 EU
- €25 Worldwide

GB:
When the GB is live, orders can be placed on my website: https://typeau.com
___

Please let me know your thoughts by answering the questions in the IC Form linked below.

I want to thank Stef for helping me on my design and my colleague who introduced me to the world of OLKBs.

IC Form: https://forms.gle/psAbLHkLoFLWca3b7
Discord: https://discord.gg/efakeF

Because of high traffic I went over my 10GB of image serving cap. For the mean time you can view my renders on Dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rbdv1c1xls87303/AAApt9AcHdFuWCTg1bKCwOQXa?dl=0
« Last Edit: Sun, 17 May 2020, 11:27:22 by typeaudesign »

Offline Agilr

• Never stop achieving
    • Discord Server
Re: [IC] Typeau Planck
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 05:42:34 »
Nice one mate

I've been meaning to try out Planck, and a premium case for it would be a no-brainer for me

Offline Vireca

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 05:45:06 »
I really like this

Edit: whats the plate for the keyboard?
« Last Edit: Sat, 16 May 2020, 05:46:56 by Vireca »

Offline .

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 05:51:53 »
Planck is a trademarked name, not sure if you can use it.

https://trademarks.justia.com/877/30/planck-87730853.html

Offline typeaudesign

• Typeau Design.
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 06:38:32 »
Thanks for the heads up, I contacted Jack and I will rename it to Typeau 40 and mention "for the Planck" instead.  :)

Planck is a trademarked name, not sure if you can use it.

https://trademarks.justia.com/877/30/planck-87730853.html

So by default, it supports the same plates and mounting as the cases from OLKB planck. The plate mentioned in the IC form will support grid, 1x2u, and 2x2u layouts.

I really like this

Offline piit79

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 06:56:57 »
Really nice, and in the EU! Any chance you could offer a similar case for Preonic? I'd be all over it, would probably get two I'm still insisting on the number row for some reason, will need to give Planck a proper go.

Offline typeaudesign

• Typeau Design.
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 08:16:21 »
Oh I love the idea of having a preonic edition as well. I doubt I can run both at the same time though.. My olkb love started with a Preonic and will order a new one once olkb.com is back up and stocked. As soon as I have to start typing an ip adres I get Preonic cravings  ;D

Offline scoopbb

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 11:07:51 »
looks alright, wish it wasnt tray mount.

Offline dtywill

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 15:50:07 »
Will the Planck EZ PCB fit this case?

Offline typeaudesign

• Typeau Design.
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 17 May 2020, 01:45:53 »
Correct me if im wrong but I’m pretty sure Planck EZ has different mounting mechanism. Therefore is don’t think it’s compatible with any rev 6 cases

Offline strawberryyogurt

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 18 May 2020, 17:04:40 »
Interested!

Offline kidpid

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 19 May 2020, 00:23:55 »
I'm interested. One thing - I get that you want to put your branding on the case, and I respect that, but do you think you could move it to the back (perhaps above the USB port), or on the bottom? The logo interrupts an otherwise clean and sleek top face.

Offline vaf1en

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 19 May 2020, 01:23:37 »
I'm interested. One thing - I get that you want to put your branding on the case, and I respect that, but do you think you could move it to the back (perhaps above the USB port), or on the bottom? The logo interrupts an otherwise clean and sleek top face.
I would like to second this motion as well.

Offline i luv chuletas

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 19 May 2020, 22:35:00 »
I'll wait for whenever a preonic version comes out, really like the idea of having a better case for it.

Though I would really love if this came out with totally new mounting system, it's the one thing that always gets me (and the thinner spacing between keys.) Having a total redo of what the Planck did with a sleek design like this would be awesome.

I would like to second this motion as well.

Also, +1 on this.

Best of luck mate!

Offline econeuler

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 20 May 2020, 11:55:25 »
Very nice  :thumb: I would be in on this one! As mentioned above, I have also wanted to try out the Planck layout and with a nice case...
Filled in the IC, and a red case would be awesome :)
Moreover, I recently joined the Decent65 GB, and one of the factors was that it was produced in EU by an enthusiast in the community (Salvun), nice to support people in the hobby!
Cheers!

Edit: It would ofc be nice if it came with plate and pcb!
« Last Edit: Thu, 21 May 2020, 07:01:22 by econeuler »

Offline typeaudesign

• Typeau Design.
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 22 May 2020, 09:29:24 »

More people suggested this so I moved it to the bottom. Thanks for the feedback :)

Very nice  :thumb: I would be in on this one! As mentioned above, I have also wanted to try out the Planck layout and with a nice case...
Filled in the IC, and a red case would be awesome :)
Moreover, I recently joined the Decent65 GB, and one of the factors was that it was produced in EU by an enthusiast in the community (Salvun), nice to support people in the hobby!
Cheers!

Edit: It would ofc be nice if it came with plate and pcb!

You will be able to order a plate alongside the case. Not the PCB I'm afraid :(
« Last Edit: Fri, 22 May 2020, 09:31:12 by typeaudesign »

Offline econeuler

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 22 May 2020, 11:21:45 »
You will be able to order a plate alongside the case. Not the PCB I'm afraid :(

Thanks! Seems as if it is quite often available on Drop etc anyway  :)

Offline Vireca

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 23 May 2020, 05:53:14 »
So by default, it supports the same plates and mounting as the cases from OLKB planck. The plate mentioned in the IC form will support grid, 1x2u, and 2x2u layouts.

I really like this

My bad, I mean plate material

Offline dtywill

[IC] Typeau Planck
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 04 June 2020, 14:39:36 »
Correct me if im wrong but I’m pretty sure Planck EZ has different mounting mechanism. Therefore is don’t think it’s compatible with any rev 6 cases
What about the planck rev6?

Edit nvm you said no rev6

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Bax

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 04 June 2020, 16:06:58 »
Having a premium case for plank and other popular smaller ortho keyboards is a great idea. Very interested.