Author Topic: Fight for grease on Switzerland  (Read 2213 times)

Offline Neutral

Fight for grease on Switzerland
« on: Wed, 09 September 2020, 03:49:19 »
Hi, i was advised right here for switches and stabilizers to use: Dielectric Grease or Teflon Grease. Silicon or Teflon (PTFE), Finish Line Fluoro Extreme or Krytox, etc..

But, there is a shortage of stock everywhere or shipping is very hard for import to Switzerland (+/- 4/5x price of grease..). No bike shop near my house has that either.

I found only this (sorry not english, trad for infos):

https://www.galaxus.ch/fr/s3/product/finish-line-graisse-de-teflon-450g-en-boite-produits-dentretien-pour-velo-10168734

https://www.conrad.ch/fr/p/pate-silicone-ptfe-aeronix-35-ml-829602.html (but is paste not grease..)

Great or bad thing (?)

Offline marshskitow

Re: Fight for grease on Switzerland
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 09 September 2020, 05:31:42 »
I won’t use the Galaxus one because it doesn’t say nothing about the velocity...

I don’t have any problem for krytox 5ml, i buy it in germany or others. Of course yes it’s expensive (about 15chf for 5ml)

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Offline jamster

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 09 September 2020, 05:38:26 »
The first one is probably fine too. If there are pictures of hubs and bearings, it's going to be thick.

Edit, just realised the question is about switches and stabs. Grease is for stabs, doesn't belong anywhere near the inside of a switch.
« Last Edit: Wed, 09 September 2020, 06:42:29 by jamster »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 09 September 2020, 06:11:19 »
The switches are not designed for lubrication.  It will gum up after a while, waste of effort to clean / redo etc.  The plunger is like a little tiny vacuum that pulls in dust every time you hit the switch.  Anything wet/ sticky inside will keep that dust there, building up over time.

The stabilizers are fine with grease, because there's alot of clearance for you to get at it when it gums up.

Offline Neutral

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 09 September 2020, 06:57:34 »
I don’t have any problem for krytox 5ml, i buy it in germany or others. Of course yes it’s expensive (about 15chf for 5ml)
On Switzerland is complicate. In most cases it is not possible to order for switzerland (Amazon, E-bay, etc). And for possible command price is ~40-50.- min. for that or unavailable at this time (for grease recommanded for keyboard). There i found in Switzerland: Krytox gpl 105.. but only per half kilo  ;D

The switches are not designed for lubrication.
?? poorly translated or.. there are 2 schools concerning this? you tell me that literally it is not good to lubricate switchs? Only stabilizers? I don't understand, many people on the forum have done this and seem in some cases recommended. But I’m starting in the field.. 

I continue with a trick to 2 balls, turn the springs of direction.. the worst is that it looks to work.

Note: the starting point for my question has left here-> https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=108214.0
« Last Edit: Wed, 09 September 2020, 07:12:38 by Neutral »

Offline yui

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 09 September 2020, 08:35:44 »
The switches are not designed for lubrication.
?? poorly translated or.. there are 2 schools concerning this? you tell me that literally it is not good to lubricate switchs? Only stabilizers? I don't understand, many people on the forum have done this and seem in some cases recommended. But I’m starting in the field.. 

I continue with a trick to 2 balls, turn the springs of direction.. the worst is that it looks to work.

Note: the starting point for my question has left here-> https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=108214.0
So being new you do not know TP4, he is a bit blunt sometimes and you may need to dilute what he is saying a bit, although is is right in the fact that lubed switches will accumulate dirt, greases are much worse than oil at it as well, so most peoples use oil on the switches and grease on the stabs for that reason.
Using grease on the switch will work but not for very long, while on stabs the oil will not last as long as it can go everywhere.
So lubed switches will feel better at the start but will not last as long and will require maintenance (especially with grease), so do it at your own risk.
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline Neutral

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 09 September 2020, 09:10:15 »
Ok, ty for answers, it's difficult with my little english for found infos and understand them to their true values.

I understand better what someone else had said about my original topic (I had a doubt). Grease = stabilizers, oil = switchs. Same on vidéo of Taeha Types: How I Lube MX Switches with Thin Lube and How to Clip, Lube, and Band-aid Mod Your Stabilizers. I will resume my research on this basis.

Now, in my case (Gateron Brown, sound of persistent spring on some switchs) better idea change springs for the same pressure range and superior quality? (SPRiT Designs réf.)

As previously said in the meantime, i open the noisy switch and I change the direction spring. It works but no long-term ideas (?)

Offline yui

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 09 September 2020, 09:28:27 »
so yeah that is not the typical lubing, for spring i would use grease, like for the stabs, for the stems you use oil. if you really want to rid of that ping better springs or greasing the spring could do the trick, i never tried though, as i like my ping (i like model M and F sounds)

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 09 September 2020, 11:42:29 »
Is it import tax or just shipping that makes it expensive?  mykeyboard.eu has some for 14€ and will ship for 19.5€, still seems very expensive but not 4x so maybe cheap enough.

If it's import tax a friendly member might be able to forward some and avoid it...
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline yui

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 10 September 2020, 01:35:52 »
If it's import tax a friendly member might be able to forward some and avoid it...
True i could i think, being in France, i dunno how shipping to Switzerland works to be honest but if i can help i will try my best, not always enough though...

Offline Neutral

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 10 September 2020, 02:58:14 »
Is it import tax or just shipping that makes it expensive?  mykeyboard.eu has some for 14€ and will ship for 19.5€, still seems very expensive but not 4x so maybe cheap enough.
I looked first of all at products in stores and sites not specialized in Keyboard. So I have to look with specialized sites and not look for "normal" products to have correct prices.

I sort specialized sites (many sites) and mykeyboard.eu was one of them. I had already pointed out on another topic, the English sites are a good opportunity for import purchases in Switzerland. I can only confirm once again that this is the case. (For example on US store spéc. Keyboard, grease or oil: 8-15$ and 50$ for shipping ^^ Glorious have good shipping, but new grease of Glorious is already sold out..)

Now and paradoxically to the subject initially dealt with here, I cogite.. Buy new springs (Sprit Design MX Supreme Series - 45S) Buy grease AND oil, knowing that I should buy both for switchs + stabilizers.. or even choose films in addition to that.

To improve Gateron Brown bought at less than 50. - in the case of grease and oil this almost doubles the price of these. Knowing that I could buy Glorious Panda or Kailh Purple Pro..

For the moment i continue to test the change of direction of the spring on the problem switches (the pressure carried out is not linear on the whole part of the spring)

I’ll think about that, if you have any further thoughts, don't hesitate. In any case thank you for your answers and your help :thumb: I learn every day on this forum and see that the field is much more complex than it seems at first sight.
« Last Edit: Thu, 10 September 2020, 03:12:17 by Neutral »

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 10 September 2020, 06:53:54 »
True i could i think, being in France, i dunno how shipping to Switzerland works to be honest but if i can help i will try my best, not always enough though...

It's a nice country (unlike e.g. Nigeria which has the unfortunate reputation of scammers) so at worst you would have to fill in a customs declaration the same as sending something to the USA, just depends what trade agreement they have with the EU.

Seems the problem is just the postage costs though.  USA post is really expensive so finding some in Europe is definitely the way to go.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Neutral

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 10 September 2020, 08:34:08 »
Seems the problem is just the postage costs though.  USA post is really expensive so finding some in Europe is definitely the way to go.
For postage cost i pay normaly ~10$, Glorious Gaming (US) too. But sometime is just very very expensive. Small objects even more, often a supplement can be added in case of shipments of a small object instead of a large one.

(What is clear in Switzerland is that many objects in various fields (music, computer, drawing, etc.) do not have a sales representative in Switzerland (official store). They are for many available only if the manufacturer sells directly on its official website. Otherwise, many items are not available for import into Switzerland on the classic sales platforms (Amazon, E-Bay, etc)
« Last Edit: Thu, 10 September 2020, 08:37:33 by Neutral »