Author Topic: [IC] Boston, a compact 120% (open-source; RNDKBD is doing a metal GB)  (Read 183095 times)

Offline nikron

One thing that's a little weird for about this board is the position of the arrow keys. I think the up arrow should line up with the vertical macro keys. Maybe move the arrow cluster down and to the right, below the numpad and the core keys?

Offline Pylon

One thing that's a little weird for about this board is the position of the arrow keys. I think the up arrow should line up with the vertical macro keys. Maybe move the arrow cluster down and to the right, below the numpad and the core keys?

That would make the board wider, which I'm trying to avoid doing. I'm still trying to keep this narrower than a full-size while still having 2u numpad "0".

The layout's based off the Austin layout. It does leave an awkward gap next to the arrow keys, but it's still the narrowest form factor with a 2u "0" key that retains the arrow keys.

Offline Lord_Rabel

• The geek that doctors trust.
Re: [IC] Boston, an open-source Austin-derived compact 120% (prototype pics!)
« Reply #52 on: Wed, 12 August 2020, 07:02:36 »
The one and only macro king xD ツ

Offline Pylon

« Reply #53 on: Sat, 15 August 2020, 11:45:51 »
Hey all, sorry for lack of updates:

• I finished the layout of the new single PCB redesign. I should have physical PCBs here by end of next week for testing.

• The new version added support for split backspace. I removed support for under-key lock LEDs as that made the layout much more complex.

• I just finalized the new aluminum case design (see previous posts for rough renders) and will be sending out for prototypes next week. It looks pretty much the same as the renders I posted a couple of posts ago, though I moved the RGBLED layer status indicator to under the knob underneath a diffuser, and the knob will be underlit by RGBLEDs. I'm going to do a fit-test prototype first, and if that works out I'll get a couple more prototypes made to test out anodization and finishes.
249587-0

• Before I decided to do the redesign, I arranged to have CoreyMFG machine a prototype of the older version just to check how good his machining is. It turned out great!. Shown with ePBT Royal Alpha and some JTK novelties, and a knob off an old HP rubber dome keyboard (that was one of the first keyboards I've ever used). I've been using this as my daily driver for the last week or so. I have the encoder working in QMK, and the RGB LED functions (I just haven't gotten around to writing the layer-status code yet).
249589-1
249591-2

• I've been working on a lower-cost 3D-printed version of the keyboard, using the same PCB, but with a multi-part 3D-printed case and FR4 plate. Still figuring out the name for this, but I've been internally referring it as Boston-LC, for "low-cost" (I've considered naming it after a Boston neighborhood but couldn't think of something that would work or wouldn't be offensive). I think I can run this for <$150 during GB, and I’ll release the 3D-printing files if people want to print their own case - the parts are small enough to print on inexpensive hobbyist FDM 3D-printers like the Creality Ender 3 or Prusa Mk 3 . I'll also be prototyping this over the next couple weeks, and will post some pictures then!

249593-3

« Last Edit: Sat, 15 August 2020, 11:53:42 by Pylon »

Offline Lord_Rabel

• The geek that doctors trust.
« Reply #54 on: Sun, 16 August 2020, 02:24:07 »
Can't wait for the final version!!
However as someone who makes PCBs kinda often, I want to give you the tipp, that your PCB runs kinda look strange. It probably works no problem, but you probably won't see the PCB anyway so it is just perfectionism from my side xD :D

Offline IOVERCALLHISTIOCYTES

« Reply #55 on: Sun, 16 August 2020, 13:39:30 »
Pylon, if you had some option during GB that was 'if I can't win a metal one, maybe I can win a plastic version' I probably wouldn't be the only one.

Since the big guy's named after a city call the LC version Worcester?

Great work man

Offline Pylon

« Reply #56 on: Sun, 16 August 2020, 14:02:50 »
Hmm, Worcester is not a bad idea. Thanks for the suggestion!

There's a pretty good chance I'll run the 3D-printed/FR4 version first, as I can iterate and finalize the design a lot faster since I have access to a 3D printer right now for prototyping, and it's more straightforward since I don't have to get anything anodized. The metal version is about 2-3 weeks to get a prototype produced, and I still need to get the surface finishes figured out(how fine/coarse of a bead-blast finish I want, working with an anodization supplier, maybe trying out anodizing over as-machined aluminum with tool marks visible would look like, etc.)

Offline hiddensong

• this too shall pass
Re: [IC] Boston, a compact 120% (prototype pics!)
« Reply #57 on: Mon, 17 August 2020, 14:34:46 »
Finally!! I, for one am getting a bit worn out by all the 60% clones. Very few offer anything different. While this isn’t original by a long shot, it is one that sticks out amongst today’s offerings. I love me a battleship and am down for one of the versions. Maybe grab the file and get an acrylic one made? Good luck and I sincerely wish you the best.

Offline Pylon

« Reply #58 on: Wed, 19 August 2020, 20:49:55 »
Finally!! I, for one am getting a bit worn out by all the 60% clones. Very few offer anything different. While this isn’t original by a long shot, it is one that sticks out amongst today’s offerings. I love me a battleship and am down for one of the versions. Maybe grab the file and get an acrylic one made? Good luck and I sincerely wish you the best.

The PCB files are on the Github! Though the main design there hasn't been verified yet, so I would recommend holding off at least a couple of weeks. I also need to seriously reorganize the directories...

Got parts from JLCPCB today for the 3D-printed/FR4 version (the redesigned aluminum version uses the same PCB). Still waiting on some switches to arrive from Novelkeys, and I still need to print out a couple of parts (I just bought an Ender 3 Pro 3D printer and am setting it up), but did a super quick test fit with what I have. I'll be soldering the PCB later this week and getting QMK set up (the matrix has changed from the earlier version).
249921-0
249923-1
249925-2
249927-3

The raw HASL - lead free finish on the plate has a lot of blemishes, so I'm probably going to have solder mask over that, and it wouldn't be that shiny on future boards.

IOVERCALLHISTIOCYTES - my one hesitancy with naming the 3D-printed/FR4 version Worcester: I spent a fair amount of time putting a map of Boston graphic on the bottom cover, though I guess I could switch it out for a map of Worcester.
« Last Edit: Wed, 19 August 2020, 20:56:08 by Pylon »

Offline IOVERCALLHISTIOCYTES

« Reply #59 on: Wed, 19 August 2020, 21:55:55 »
Under no circumstances should you get rid of that map

Pawtucket? (It’s a Boston ‘minor league’)?

Offline Pylon

« Reply #60 on: Wed, 19 August 2020, 23:09:47 »
I guess maybe Cambridge or Somerville (both of which are on that map), or just Boston - Entry Edition or something.

Offline hvontres

• Buckling Spring Enthusiast - Full Size Evangelist
« Reply #61 on: Wed, 19 August 2020, 23:44:15 »
Thanks for the updates. Definitely interested in the Entry edition.
Henry von Tresckow

1986 Model M 1390131, 1987 Model M 1391401 , 1993 Model M2 Modded Reddragon k556(Test Mule) Boston Prototype x2 (Daily Drivers :) )

Offline The.Ryan.Gamer

« Reply #62 on: Sun, 23 August 2020, 05:24:01 »
Interesting. I would love to see a build vids before the GB.

Any ideas about pricing?

Offline psxndc

« Reply #63 on: Sun, 23 August 2020, 18:41:36 »
Missed opportunity: have it be ortho and support only the "MIT" layout.
Ortho. Always.

Offline Pylon

« Reply #64 on: Sun, 23 August 2020, 22:13:53 »
Interesting. I would love to see a build vids before the GB.

Any ideas about pricing?

I don't have quotes on PCB assembly yet (affects both, but will be the bulk of the cost on the 3D-printed/FR4 version), as I'm still verifying the redesigned PCB, and don't have finish/anodizing quotes on the redesigned aluminum version (which isn't prototyped yet). I also haven't decided the GB size yet (though this is my first GB and I will be self-fulfillingl, so expect <50 on first round)

For very rough estimates, expect <$80 for a barebones PCB/FR4/hardware kit (where end-user 3D prints the 3D-printed parts themselves - I will release the STL files), <$150 for a complete 3D-printed/FR4-version kit, and $550 or less on the aluminum version (might be way less, but depends on yields).

« Last Edit: Sun, 23 August 2020, 22:16:07 by Pylon »

Offline hvontres

« Reply #65 on: Thu, 27 August 2020, 04:14:09 »
I think I have figured out a fun colorway for this:
250442-0
Henry von Tresckow

1986 Model M 1390131, 1987 Model M 1391401 , 1993 Model M2 Modded Reddragon k556(Test Mule) Boston Prototype x2 (Daily Drivers :) )

Offline Pylon

« Reply #66 on: Wed, 02 September 2020, 23:12:58 »
Hey all - not too many updates:

• I sent out the machining order for the redesigned aluminum version. Should be here in a couple of weeks.
  • I built the first prototype for the 3D-printed/FR4 version. Pics below, with OG WoB and GMK Neon RGBY mods. I later installed GMK Bingsu, which is the last pic. This was 3D-printed with white PLA filament.
  • The PCB was completely redesigned, so I'll be doing some testing on the board over the next week to see if any issues turn up. I have QMK up and working, though still haven't written the layer-status indicator light yet. I'm doing 1 more spin on the 3D-printed version to fix some minor things. I just moved and am still unpacking, but I'll be setting up my 3D printer in the basement and printing a couple more cases to see if I can consistently good print quality (there's a couple print quality issues on this particular one, though the white filament hides it really well in pictures). Once all that's done I'll hopefully be ready for a group buy on the 3D-printed/FR4 version.
  • I understand the front page still needs to get updated, but I am waiting for the prototype for the redesigned aluminum version to be finished before doing so, as this is what the IC is for, and throwing on the 3D-printed one on the main page at the same time - I don't really want to post the 3D-printed/FR4 version with the older aluminum version as that's not what I'll be running a GB for anymore. I guess I could do renders for the aluminum version til then as an alternative, though I'm not great at doing renders and would rather spend the time tweaking/improving the proto.

250894-0
250896-1
250898-2
250900-3
250902-4
250904-5
250908-6

« Last Edit: Wed, 02 September 2020, 23:37:43 by Pylon »

Offline asmashedpumpkin

« Reply #67 on: Wed, 02 September 2020, 23:31:00 »
I will be so disappointed if I can’t get in on this GB.  I’m all in on this to be me my daily driver for work.

Offline hvontres

Re: [IC] Boston, a compact 120% (updated specs, 3D-printed version pics)
« Reply #68 on: Thu, 03 September 2020, 01:13:43 »
Thanks for the update. Definitely looking forward to the FR4 GB :)
Henry von Tresckow

Offline hvontres

« Reply #69 on: Thu, 03 September 2020, 11:51:56 »
I haven't had a chance to look at the latest kicad files yet, but I was thinking it might be nice to have a spare I2c and/or SPI port on the board do be able to drive some OLED or LCD displays. I was thinking it might be kind of fun to come up with a custom case that has some displays just above the PF keys to show what they are mapped to, kind of like the Cherry/Reuters 9009. But that would definitely be a very optional feature and would in no way keep me from getting one of these.

Thank you for all the work and for supporting us full-is size types :)
Henry von Tresckow

Offline Pylon

« Reply #70 on: Fri, 04 September 2020, 11:42:07 »
I haven't had a chance to look at the latest kicad files yet, but I was thinking it might be nice to have a spare I2c and/or SPI port on the board do be able to drive some OLED or LCD displays. I was thinking it might be kind of fun to come up with a custom case that has some displays just above the PF keys to show what they are mapped to, kind of like the Cherry/Reuters 9009. But that would definitely be a very optional feature and would in no way keep me from getting one of these.

Thank you for all the work and for supporting us full-is size types :)

Glad you're interested  :) I do agree the battleship and full size (not 1800) space is kind of underserved right now in terms of custom keebs.

Unfortunately I'm using every single pin right now on the 48-pin STM32F072 chip I'm using. Though 64-pin and 100-pin versions of the same chip do exist, but would require a significant redesign of the PCB. That's a cool idea for the future though.

251002-0

Offline Pylon

« Reply #71 on: Fri, 04 September 2020, 11:46:35 »
Though I do suppose an i2C/SPI display could eliminate the need for the lock LEDs and possibly the RGBLED status indicator light, so that could free up 4 pins (though the pins they are currently assigned to do not support SPI or I2C).

Offline hvontres

« Reply #72 on: Fri, 04 September 2020, 22:46:20 »
Though I do suppose an i2C/SPI display could eliminate the need for the lock LEDs and possibly the RGBLED status indicator light, so that could free up 4 pins (though the pins they are currently assigned to do not support SPI or I2C).

However, the NumLock and CapsLock will work as a UART :) And since the resistors are through hole, there are already good places to pick them off for messing about. I don't know a lot about QMK yet, but it seems like having a second controller for the display might be a possibilty. And I stumbled across these neat 2.6" three color (white-red-black) e-ink displays that might look really good in the back.

Thanks for all your hard work on this.
Henry von Tresckow

Offline hvontres

« Reply #73 on: Sat, 05 September 2020, 04:15:09 »
So I played around a little bit tonight, and here is a possible layout using a few of these : https://www.buydisplay.com/serial-spi-1-5-inch-color-oled-display-128x128-graphic-module-ssd1351

It looks like it might work, but I think there is room for improvement:
251053-0
Henry von Tresckow

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #74 on: Sat, 05 September 2020, 13:42:15 »
This is cool, is there any way to get rid of the visible screws on the top piece?
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #75 on: Sat, 05 September 2020, 13:43:41 »
Never mind, I thought the 3d printed version was top mount but it is actually sandwich ~ ~ : )
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline Pylon

« Reply #76 on: Sat, 05 September 2020, 15:34:44 »
Never mind, I thought the 3d printed version was top mount but it is actually sandwich ~ ~ : )

It's technically a top mount, though not exactly so - the plate is screwed into the top side of the case. It's just the screws are flipped (screws come in from the top and grab onto threaded holes in the plate to hold the plate to the top of the case, rather than screws coming in from the bottom). This was a necessary compromise from how I'm 3D printing the case. It's not a sandwich case at all from how the plate is mounted.
251110-0

The aluminum version is a traditional top mount.
« Last Edit: Sat, 05 September 2020, 15:42:39 by Pylon »

Offline Pylon

« Reply #77 on: Sat, 05 September 2020, 15:36:15 »
So I played around a little bit tonight, and here is a possible layout using a few of these : https://www.buydisplay.com/serial-spi-1-5-inch-color-oled-display-128x128-graphic-module-ssd1351

It looks like it might work, but I think there is room for improvement:
(Attachment Link)

Oh nice. Yeah, feel free to use or modify the PCB design to add those displays if you so desire. It should also be fairly easy to break out those microcontroller pins from the status LED pads.

Offline Pylon

« Reply #78 on: Sat, 05 September 2020, 20:20:35 »
Added an IC Form for the 3D-printed version.

Offline long_qt_pie

« Reply #79 on: Sat, 05 September 2020, 21:32:07 »
In for Fr4/3d

Any possibility for 7u bottom row or 2x [1.5]u right of spacebar?
« Last Edit: Sun, 06 September 2020, 11:12:13 by long_qt_pie »
Jetfire | Mech 27 v1 | Mira SE | Singa | Orion 2.5 | Eo87 | Lubrigante | MGA | IBM F XT | AEKII | Lightpad | Exent | Dolphin Rev 2 | F1-8x | Mr Suit

Offline Pylon

« Reply #80 on: Sun, 06 September 2020, 22:16:02 »
In for Fr4/3d

Any possibility for 7u bottom row or 2x [1.5]u right of spacebar?

I'm doing one more PCB spin before GB, so let met see if I can add it into the PCB and plate. Austin does it so it shouldn't be terribly difficult (1.5u-1.5u-7u-1.5u-1.5u is an option on Austin) since the lower 5 rows of this keyboard is basically that of the Austin.

Offline Poetart

« Reply #81 on: Tue, 15 September 2020, 11:55:05 »
Is there another way to keep up to date with this other than the forum post?

Offline Pylon

« Reply #82 on: Tue, 15 September 2020, 14:05:17 »
    Do people want a Discord server? I could also start posting daily updates to this thread or something.

Right now I'm:
    • Adding 1.5u and split-space to the PCB. This also necessitates some changes to the plate.
    • Trying to work out some minor print quality issues on my 3D printer so that I can reliably print good quality cases. I also reached out to my friend who has a Prusa Mk3 3D printer.

Other stuff on the to-do list:
    • Need to implement some features in QMK, set up QMK configurator, and redo the current QMK matrix/keymap files so they're done properly (the current files work but don't follow proper convention)
    • Write up assembly instructions

Prototypes for the aluminum version are still a couple of weeks out.

Offline hvontres

« Last Edit: Fri, 18 September 2020, 14:13:24 by hvontres »
Henry von Tresckow

Offline Sslix

« Reply #84 on: Fri, 18 September 2020, 20:35:08 »
I love this.

Offline ChonkNogga

« Reply #85 on: Mon, 21 September 2020, 05:56:03 »
This lookin sick. Any chance a brass weight will be available for the FR4 version or has design been finalised already?

Offline Pylon

« Reply #86 on: Mon, 21 September 2020, 12:00:24 »
This lookin sick. Any chance a brass weight will be available for the FR4 version or has design been finalised already?

Thanks! Regarding the weight - the 3D printed design is reasonably finalized ATM, though being 3D printed it's not hard to make changes. For the brass weight - I suppose you could replace the 1.6mm FR4 panel on the bottom (the one with a map on it) with a laser-cut brass panel, possibly a thicker one (you would need longer M3 screws). I'm not sure if I'll offer it, as a brass weight of that size would probably add at least $50 to the price, but I'll have DXFs of the bottom panel published, if you want to go to Sendcutsend or wherever and have a weight laser-cut.

Offline Poetart

« Reply #87 on: Wed, 23 September 2020, 16:36:17 »
    Do people want a Discord server? I could also start posting daily updates to this thread or something.

Right now I'm:
    • Adding 1.5u and split-space to the PCB. This also necessitates some changes to the plate.
    • Trying to work out some minor print quality issues on my 3D printer so that I can reliably print good quality cases. I also reached out to my friend who has a Prusa Mk3 3D printer.

• Need to implement some features in QMK, set up QMK configurator, and redo the current QMK matrix/keymap files so they're done properly (the current files work but don't follow proper convention)

I would love to have a discord setup for this. I want to make sure I don't miss out on this and I don't check the forums too often.

Offline hvontres

« Reply #88 on: Wed, 23 September 2020, 16:55:18 »

Right now I'm:

I would love to have a discord setup for this. I want to make sure I don't miss out on this and I don't check the forums too often.

I set up e-mail notifications for this thread for that reason.

Henry von Tresckow

Offline mr.squishy

• I like beer and keebs
« Reply #89 on: Thu, 24 September 2020, 02:36:01 »
Love this. In for the 3d printed version. Let me know if you want someone to test the files on a different ender 3.

I think you could still call the fr4/3dp version the Boston, just call it the Boston South End. I like Brookline too.

Offline Pylon

« Reply #90 on: Sat, 26 September 2020, 10:30:44 »
Hey all, some updates:

• Starting off with some bad news, there is a global shortage right now of the 128KB versions of the microcontroller chip I am using (STM32F072, variants CBT6, CBT7, CBU6, and CBU7), with the chip out of stock everywhere and no restock date yet announced. My options moving forward are:
    • Wait potentially months for the 128KB chips to restock. This would delay either the GB or fulfillment.
    • Switch to the 64KB version of the STM32F072 (variants C8T6, C8T7, C8U6, and C8U7) for at least the first GB run. This would kill prospects of future VIA support on any board that uses the 64KB version of the chip, as that's not enough flash for VIA's EEPROM emulation (I wasn't planning on adding VIA support at the moment, but it's something that's quite possible in the future). However the 64KB chips are still widely available, QMK will work just fine (the current QMK firmware only takes up about 32KB), and this requires no redesign of the PCB. Future GB rounds may use the 128kb version.
    • Redesign around a different microcontroller. This would require a PCB redesign and another 1-2 rounds of prototyping, which I'm not really willing to do right now.

Other than that:
    • Aside from the microcontroller shortage, I should be ready for a group buy for the 3D-printed version in a couple of weeks, and I'll announce a GB date when ready. I'm planning to self-fulfill this, and the GB will probably capped at 50 units for complete ones (maybe another 20 for those that want to print their own cases), and done old-school using Paypal and Google Forms.
    • I'm still working on getting print quality up to snuff. I've moved some of the seams around and have been tinkering with some other settings on my 3D printer. My friend, who has a Prusa Mk3 3D printer, also said he'd be willing to print cases on his printers 
    • I should have new PCBs coming in in a week and building a couple more prototypes. This will be to test out the split space layout and the backlight, and hopefully be the final revision before group buy.
    • The CNC version is weeks out. Prototypes are being machined.

Offline hiddensong

• this too shall pass
« Reply #91 on: Mon, 28 September 2020, 03:42:45 »
Dood....that CNC Boston area map as the case bottom??? If that is an option? Then I'm all in. However itsan "all or none" for this round for me. Will probably have to wait until this has been refined a bit and the map is offered.

Offline Realdrian

« Reply #92 on: Tue, 29 September 2020, 18:58:10 »
Created an account just to say.

I love this design and am super IN for a aluminum kit whatever the cost

Offline ChonkNogga

« Reply #93 on: Wed, 30 September 2020, 07:31:40 »
This hobby has built up so much patience that honestly wouldn't mind waiting for the microcontrollers. Might even give you extra time to refine the keeb.

Offline Pylon

« Reply #94 on: Wed, 30 September 2020, 19:16:23 »
Thanks for the support everyone!

Regarding adding a map onto the aluminum version - this has been requested by several people, but I'm kind of hesitant to do it and currently don't have plans to. For aluminum I'll have to either laser-engrave or print the map on somehow, which would add a fair amount of cost, and it most likely won't look as good as the FR4 bottom. Alternatively I could make a pocket on the bottom piece to embed an FR4 panel that has the artwork on it, but this would mean the bottom of the keyboard is now FR4 instead of aluminum, and the keyboard would feel a bit cheaper to hold. This is also complicated somewhat by the removable weight on the bottom on the aluminum one, which some people will have on (to set the keyboard to 6.4°) and some people won't have (if they want a 0° typing angle), and I'm not sure if I can get a design that looks good with both the weight on and the weight removed.

I added the map to the 3D-printed version since the bottom FR4 panel is manufactured as a PCB, so I get silkscreen, copper, and solder-mask layers for free, so I figured I might I might as well use those to add artwork. I was originally going to do a laser-cut stainless or brass bottom panel, but FR4 ended up being much cheaper, and being able to do the map for free ended up being a nice perk of doing FR4 too.

Offline Realdrian

« Reply #95 on: Thu, 08 October 2020, 10:07:46 »
Any news on the shortage of those microcontroller chips? I keep thinking about this board !

Offline Pylon

« Reply #96 on: Sun, 11 October 2020, 02:17:52 »
Mouser is restocking CBU6's in November. Hopefully LCSC and other Chinese distributors also restock around then. Expect the GB to be around then.

Offline Pylon

« Reply #97 on: Sun, 11 October 2020, 02:24:28 »
As usual, apologies for lack of updates - I unfortunately lost power and internet for three days, but am back now. I'm building up a proto of the latest PCB revision, and writing up assembly instructions. I'll make a sound test video soon tomorrow or Monday also.

GB will probably be in mid-November as that's when I'm expecting the chips to restock.

Offline Really_Just_AE

• I love me a good keyboard
« Reply #98 on: Sun, 11 October 2020, 20:31:59 »
As usual, apologies for lack of updates - I unfortunately lost power and internet for three days, but am back now. I'm building up a proto of the latest PCB revision, and writing up assembly instructions. I'll make a sound test video soon tomorrow or Monday also.

GB will probably be in mid-November as that's when I'm expecting the chips to restock.

Given this timeline, what do you think the turnaround would be for the 3d printed versions? Something about this keyboard just screams to me to turn it into a Christmas gift for my dad    ;D

Offline Pylon

« Reply #99 on: Mon, 12 October 2020, 00:25:14 »
As promised, a sound test video of the 3D-printed/FR4 version. This board was built with Cherry MX Clears with spring ends lubed with Permatex dielectric grease, rails lubed with u/hbheroinbob's Loob-3g, and filmed with Deskey films. Stabilizers are C3Equalz. It has GMK Bingsu on it.

Using the onboard microphone on a Nikon D3300:

Using a Shure SM58 mic dangled above the keyboard:

Given this timeline, what do you think the turnaround would be for the 3d printed versions? Something about this keyboard just screams to me to turn it into a Christmas gift for my dad    ;D

This depends on the size of the GB and the PCB supplier I go with. It takes me a bit over a day to print everything necessary. Best-case scenario is if I cap it to 25 units, and do the PCBs through JLCPCB (~1 week turn, limited to 30 PCBs), everything goes smoothly (e.g. my 3D printer doesn't break), and hand-solder on the remaining components, the first units would ship out in a week and the GB is fulfilled in a month. This is extremely optimistic, and it's much more likely that it takes 2-3 months, if I go with a full-service PCB supplier (e.g. Elecrow or AllPCB) and do a larger GB. After having talked to other GB runners about their experiences, they recommended doing no more than 30 units for a very first group buy, so R1's probably going to get capped to ~25, with some extras/B-stock to be sold after. I would then try to run R2 as soon as possible afterwards.