Author Topic: [IC] Flatline Black and Cyan SA profile keyset (on hold see OP)  (Read 182175 times)

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
Re: [IC] Flatline Black and Cyan SA profile keyset (on hold see OP)
« Reply #700 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 20:53:34 »
Yeah, honestly at this point, I think Massdrop would be the way to move this forward. Maybe if you contact whoever is in charge of keycap buys there, they would work with you. I think PMK would be out, because of PuLSE R2.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline zslane

« Reply #701 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 20:53:54 »
I'm just saying that as unrealistic expectations go, asking SP for the same volume discounts that MassDrop gets is sort of a doozy.

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #702 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 20:56:00 »
I'm just saying that as unrealistic expectations go, asking SP for the same volume discounts that MassDrop gets is sort of a doozy.

Yes. Everyone got your message. Thank you for your input.

Offline Burt Macklin

« Reply #703 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 21:01:04 »
In all seriousness I would pay the premium if we had these made. And I would pay the same premium if it was all Row3 French made. I also feel like this entire head showcases that SP has a strong grip on the community which I would love to break somehow.

Yep, monopoly sucks.
I'd love to see someone else step in with SA caps, prefferably in Europe - high keyset prices and shipping (+import taxes on top) are usually pretty hard to swallow, if you're in EU.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #704 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 21:14:52 »
Yeah, honestly at this point, I think Massdrop would be the way to move this forward. Maybe if you contact whoever is in charge of keycap buys there, they would work with you. I think PMK would be out, because of PuLSE R2.

Massdrop is doing PuLSE R2, not PMK, so PMK would be the better bet for sure :thumb:
<- My Collection (so far)

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #705 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 21:20:29 »

Massdrop is doing PuLSE R2, not PMK, so PMK would be the better bet for sure :thumb:

I thought Signature Plastics produces the keycaps for Massdrop? I also though Signature Plastics initially designed SA profile caps?

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #706 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 21:24:18 »

I thought Signature Plastics produces the keycaps for Massdrop? I also though Signature Plastics initially designed SA profile caps?

I think the details have been covered in the last 15 pages dude, let's not restart the conversation from square one.

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #707 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 21:30:49 »

I think the details have been covered in the last 15 pages dude, let's not restart the conversation from square one.

I'm not sure what you mean by that. People are stating that this should be run through Massdrop. That won't happen because Massdrop will already be running Pulse R2 and they have to reason to introduce an almost-identical set.

You can't go through Pimp My Keyboard because it's too expensive.

What choices are left? Foreign manufacturers? How do we know if they'll even take custom requests?

Offline kiwi99

• that's a gnarly dookie
  • authentic church of halverson member
« Reply #708 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 21:35:28 »
I don't know how anyone would feel about this but what about the same colourway in a different profile? There is such an over saturation of nice SA sets already being it seems all that comes out of SP is SA and DSA, any reason DCS gets no love any more ?

Offline Floody

• Formerly Flood
  • But is it?
« Reply #709 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 21:42:23 »
I don't know how anyone would feel about this but what about the same colourway in a different profile? There is such an over saturation of nice SA sets already being it seems all that comes out of SP is SA and DSA, any reason DCS gets no love any more ?
I've heard complaints that DCS is too thin from some users

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #710 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 21:42:52 »

Because GMK has drastically reduced MOQ, JTK is on scene know, and SP's DCS is very thin.  If they would revisit the trend of caps right now and make new molds with the exact same outside shape and profile, but thicker, I am positive they would see a good amount more sales.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #711 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 21:43:48 »
I've heard complaints that DCS is too thin from some users

It's thin, shines quickly, and wears poorly.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #712 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 21:48:28 »

Because GMK has drastically reduced MOQ, JTK is on scene know, and SP's DCS is very thin.  If they would revisit the trend of caps right now and make new molds with the exact same outside shape and profile, but thicker, I am positive they would see a good amount more sales.

Does anyone know if they still have the old WYSE molds? At least I think it was them (or a former parent company or such) that made those. If they offered those it would be a great option. Depending on the cost of course.  :))

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #713 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 21:50:57 »

Does anyone know if they still have the old WYSE molds? At least I think it was them (or a former parent company or such) that made those. If they offered those it would be a great option. Depending on the cost of course.  :))

Last I heard they were "retired" or did not come with them in the acquisition.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #714 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 21:53:21 »

Hasn't it been proven that SP didn't make caps for WYSE?  Or was that the french one posted earlier?
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #715 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 21:57:01 »
The DCS molds SP has are the molds that were used to make the old Wyse caps.  I don't remember if SP was contracted to finish out the Wyse run or if they bought the molds at a later date.

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #716 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 22:06:51 »
I never thought I would say this but it looks like with the lowered GMK MOQs and now this it looks like GMK might actually become the go-to company when it comes to custom keysets

The fact that they are starting to do custom legends is also a big deal - if we could hit something like 250 orders for a buy with a new legend it would add something like $20 to the cost of each buy

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #717 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 22:09:20 »
I never thought I would say this but it looks like with the lowered GMK MOQs and now this it looks like GMK might actually become the go-to company when it comes to custom keysets

The fact that they are starting to do custom legends is also a big deal - if we could hit something like 250 orders for a buy with a new legend it would add something like $20 to the cost of each buy

The problem with GMK is Cherry profile only as far as I know.  Personally it doesn't wow me at all.

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #718 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 22:10:46 »

The problem with GMK is Cherry profile only as far as I know.  Personally it doesn't wow me at all.

It is without saying though probably the most popular profile on GH

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #719 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 22:13:10 »

This may be, but it doesn't allow for other layouts such as Dvorak, Colemak, etc without purchasing extra keys. 

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #720 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 22:13:27 »

Well it is the best profile so...

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #721 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 22:14:05 »

Well it is the best profile so...

Pure opinion, not fact.  Plus does GMK offer PBT?

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #722 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 22:14:19 »

I love SA caps, but for all my "real" work I really do pretty much only use Cherry or Topre profile caps.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #723 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 22:15:45 »

I love SA caps, but for all my "real" work I really do pretty much only use Cherry or Topre profile caps.

I can't fault that, though personally I don't use a keyboard for any sort of money making, aside from possible logistics from hobby related income.

Offline f1xedgear

« Reply #724 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 22:16:18 »

This may be, but it doesn't allow for other layouts such as Dvorak, Colemak, etc without purchasing extra keys.
Well, sculpted SA is no different...

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #725 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 22:17:08 »

this is exactly my stance too

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #726 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 22:17:21 »

While this is true, the point I was making is SP at least offers those options, GMK does not. 

Offline Lepidus

« Reply #727 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 22:20:46 »
What about Devlin? Dont they take orders like this?

Their K profile looks pretty cool. High-profiled, spherical, thick, doubleshot, etc. Missing molds?

« Last Edit: Wed, 27 January 2016, 22:23:09 by Lepidus »

Offline LXXXIX

• Just remember all caps when you spell the man name
« Reply #728 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 22:28:31 »

Their K profile looks pretty cool. High-profiled, spherical, thick, doubleshot, etc. Missing molds?

Show Image

Who? Have a website?

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #729 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 22:29:45 »

Show Image

When I last talked to Devlin, they would only work with QWERkeys and any custom sets had to go through QWERkeys.  I have no clue if that changed.

Offline fabian101

• Cardbox
« Reply #730 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 22:30:45 »

Show Image

Who? Have a website?

http://www.devlin.co.uk/products/components/keycaps.html

[WTB] Nothing For Now

Ducky Legend + Invisible FC660C

Offline simonyunhe

« Reply #731 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 22:33:29 »
Here is another UK company make 'SA' keycaps.
KeyBs:|RS96-Brown|GS-87-White|DIYer60-Red|VA68M-Brown|GS-ALT71-Blue|IKBC-108-Black|
KeyCs:|SA Carbon R1+2|SA Camping|SA Amazing Chocolatier|SA Commando 88 Ghost|SA Hyperfuse|SA Penumbra|SA Doom|SA Creamy Orange|SA Ocean Dolch|SA Lotus*72|SA Trouble Minds R2|DSA Granite|GMK TA|GMK Soware|XDA Mailstone|GM Ember|

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #732 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 22:34:23 »

Show Image

When I last talked to Devlin, they would only work with QWERkeys and any custom sets had to go through QWERkeys.  I have no clue if that changed.

I spoke to them in the past 6 months and didnt hear any mention of that. They seemed like rather cool people to me honestly and were quite open to stuff. I was just probing around for possibilities though and didnt have a set to actually follow up with.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #733 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 22:34:55 »
Here is another UK company make 'SA' keycaps.
Show Image

Look at cap sizes, nothing over 2 unit.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #734 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 22:35:23 »
Yes I considered talking to devlin but apparently they're hard to work with, and time isn't on my side right now with pulse right around the corner. We can try to work for something long term.
I love Elzy

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #735 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 22:37:22 »

While this is true, the point I was making is SP at least offers those options, GMK does not.

That is all just in the hands of the designer though. With GMK MOQ its usually just not as viable, but still definitely possible.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #736 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 22:39:12 »

That is all just in the hands of the designer though. With GMK MOQ its usually just not as viable, but still definitely possible.

But more expensive then using a flat/uniform profile cap though.  I mention this because apparently everyone is hung up on the price.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #737 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 22:46:57 »

But more expensive then using a flat/uniform profile cap though.  I mention this because apparently everyone is hung up on the price.

Again, Id personally consider that more of a design thing though. Profile is probably the largest factor when it comes to a set, with sculpted and non sculpted profiles really being two totally different animals. Personally, this is what has made Granite so popular for example. There is nothing groundbreaking about the set, but it fits nearly every damn keyboard out there at this point. But compared to many other sculpted sets (Cherry or SA, DCS, whatever) it just doesn't feel as good to many people. I  don't think that flat profiles look nearly as good on keyboards as sculpted profiles do either.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #738 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 22:48:22 »

Again, Id personally consider that more of a design thing though. Profile is probably the largest factor when it comes to a set, with sculpted and non sculpted profiles really being two totally different animals. Personally, this is what has made Granite so popular for example. There is nothing groundbreaking about the set, but it fits nearly every damn keyboard out there at this point. But compared to many other sculpted sets (Cherry or SA, DCS, whatever) it just doesn't feel as good to many people. I  don't think that flat profiles look nearly as good on keyboards as sculpted profiles do either.

But what if you could have a sculpted profile with uniform profile caps?

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #739 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 22:49:23 »

so buckling spring?

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #740 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 22:50:04 »

so buckling spring?

With MX and compatible, but yeah, that style.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #741 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 22:51:31 »

Huh? By sculpted, in my phrasing, I having different size keys for different rows, like many of these sets (Dsa and KT are the only non-sculpted profiles)

Not sculpted as a singular cap. For example 1976 was all R3, and was not a sculpted set, where Jukebox was rows 1-1-2-3-4-4 and was sculpted  :)

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #742 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 22:55:00 »

Huh? By sculpted, in my phrasing, I having different size keys for different rows, like many of these sets (Dsa and KT are the only non-sculpted profiles)
Show Image

Not sculpted as a singular cap. For example 1976 was all R3, and was not a sculpted set, where Jukebox was rows 1-1-2-3-4-4 and was sculpted  :)

I understand that, but I am going to be designing a keyboard that will give you the curved top/sculpted look and feel while using row 3 SA or DSA  Think curved plate for MX

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #743 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 22:57:13 »

Show Image

I understand that, but I am going to be designing a keyboard that will give you the curved top/sculpted look and feel while using row 3 SA or DSA  Think curved plate for MX

Oh nice, like a Model M  :thumb: Very cool! Now i see where you were going with that question lol

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #744 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 22:58:44 »
Anyway, enough threadcrapping from me.

Offline deduction

• unix layout zealot
« Reply #745 on: Thu, 28 January 2016, 01:47:04 »
****, that really sucks about SP's new pricing tiers.  Either way, for your IC, I just want to see an ergodox option.  The base TKL looks dope af.

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #746 on: Thu, 28 January 2016, 02:39:50 »
Just trying something new. This is still a go, right? ...right?  :confused:

"haters are confused admirers"

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #747 on: Thu, 28 January 2016, 02:43:19 »
:( looking into Massdrop but not sure. definitely not a go with these prices.

Thank you for your work though these renders look so good I want to make it a reality for everyone
I love Elzy

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #748 on: Thu, 28 January 2016, 02:46:37 »
Just trying something new. This is still a go, right? ...right?  :confused:

Show Image

Wait, this set already got produced?

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #749 on: Thu, 28 January 2016, 02:48:45 »
:( looking into Massdrop but not sure. definitely not a go with these prices.

Thank you for your work though these renders look so good I want to make it a reality for everyone

I don't see why it would be a problem, a lot of people prefer BBJ, and they've dropped reruns of Dolch and Miami knock-offs. The only thing you need to do, I believe, is to provide proof there's enough interest... through polls or something similar.

"haters are confused admirers"