Author Topic: Dis' whole skool-opening thing.  (Read 10684 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Dis' whole skool-opening thing.
« on: Thu, 09 July 2020, 00:49:31 »
Tp4 didn't learnz Nething in skool until collage.

What's the BFD,  just stay home, play diablo, learn 2 read EZ..

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
Re: Dis' whole skool-opening thing.
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 09 July 2020, 07:44:41 »
No wonder the US is rated 27th in education and dropping like a golem's poop in a pond.

Offline yui

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 09 July 2020, 07:57:18 »
to be honest i did not learn any english from school (i am french), i learned it all on the internet, like a most of things that i use nowadays pretty much only things i learnt at school were math, physics and biology so i do agree with TP, you can learn it all on line and in the situation we are in it would be a much better option. (ok sadly no exploding hydrogen bubbles but also less corona)
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 09 July 2020, 08:31:26 »
The younger the children, the more important the physical hands-on interaction is to learning. At some point, online learning is easy enough for some topics, but almost impossible for others.

One of my kids is in college in veterinary school and that requires actual physical experience, just to cite one example.
Cognitive distortions are patterns of thought, typically automatic and unconscious, that cause an inaccurate, negative view of situations, people, and/or events. These include things like jumping to conclusions; black-and-white thinking; negative mental filtering; overgeneralizing; mindreading (incorrectly believing we know what others are thinking, what their motives are); and emotional reasoning (believing that if we are feeling something, or if what we are thinking is associated with a strong emotion, it must be true).
- Scott Jansenn 2024-04-07

Offline yui

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 09 July 2020, 09:29:26 »
The younger the children, the more important the physical hands-on interaction is to learning. At some point, online learning is easy enough for some topics, but almost impossible for others.

One of my kids is in college in veterinary school and that requires actual physical experience, just to cite one example.
true for specialty stuff, but for learning how to read or do math or pretty much any lectures that do not include practice, and in modern schooling that is more and more stuff, forcing students to go back seems almost retarded, given that we still do not yet fully understand the disease and it seems that children are not so safe for sure if there is need of practice but from my schooling experience that was only 3 to 6 hours per week out of 35 but then i am not in the US so i am not sure about how schools work there.
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 09 July 2020, 13:20:12 »

true for specialty stuff, but for learning how to read or do math or pretty much any lectures that do not include practice, and in modern schooling that is more and more stuff, forcing students to go back seems almost retarded, given that we still do not yet fully understand the disease and it seems that children are not so safe for sure if there is need of practice but from my schooling experience that was only 3 to 6 hours per week out of 35 but then i am not in the US so i am not sure about how schools work there.

Professions that require, primarily, hands-on training should be handled by apprenticeships. They're much better ways to learn in those situations, you start earning an income immediately, have one-on-one learning, cut out all of the useless nonsense, and get straight to the point. The U.S. has moved way too far away from those and they practically ceased to exist outside of the trades. It seems to me like the majority of the things you may (or in my case, may not) learn in college paying/waiting for that little piece of paper that certifies that you're not a complete idiot are either rehashes of high school, completely superfluous, or both. I think that literally the only things of some value I learned marginally more about in obtaining my associates degree were chemistry and math ... and I have had no need for them since. Most classes were easier than my high school courses ... yet I needed to pay thousands of dollars to take them.

I swear that the modern college campus (in the U.S. since it is free in most other places that aren't third world) is literally just a means of maintaining a class system in an age where it should have been long gone. If you're rich, your kids easily get their piece of paper that certifies that they're not stupid and immediately make 6+ figure incomes. If you're not, you better get really, really good grades in high school (and our current methods of teaching are literally a joke, so a lot of very smart people lose interest out of boredom) and/or be part of some protected minority group, otherwise you're either screwed, settle for a lesser degree, or you risk going into debt for years and years.

If this were not the intention from the start, almost all jobs of any considerable income that do not involve very specific technical skills would not always require some sort of pointless feel-good degree, and schools that are supposedly subsidized by the government would not still cost thousands of dollars per semester.

It was not always this way. I think that, ironically, upward mobility was actually far easier to achieve say, 100 years ago, as a result. Back then, all you needed was a sharp mind, drive, and/or a great idea. That's still the case ... if you manage to scrape the money together to start your own business to take advantage of such things. Some of the greatest engineers, etc, of the period didn't even graduate from high school and had no formal training, yet some of their designs are still viable even today. Now, if you even want to be in management anywhere other than McDonalds, you need a degree in business management.

Madness, absolute madness.

On the original topic, I think that the risks of returning to school outweigh the benefits. Some kids learn better in person, some learn better on their own, some subjects/skills can't be learned on your own without expensive equipment, etc. For those who actually need in person learning (I believe that's far fewer people than the current rigid structures of the system would suggest), returning to school will obviously be a great improvement, and they may otherwise be falling behind. Pacing, in general, is obviously also slowed with virtual learning.

Oh well. Maybe everyone will need to graduate at 19, or 20. Schools are one of the biggest breeding grounds for illness possible. Think about it. Do you have a family member in the public school system? Is it an immediate family member? How many family members have an immediate family member in the public school system? Think about thousands of students passing each other in close proximity once every single hour, and then sitting in a room of 30 between passing periods. Here we're talking about cohorts, and halving class sizes, etc, etc, but those rooms are already packed full of kids that can't even stretch without bumping a neighbor. Halving a class won't do anything meaningful other than halving the initial outbreak ... when it inevitably does happen. We can choose to do stupid things like pack ourselves into bars, like sardines, and choose to associate with those who do, we can't choose the people in our lives that must be packed into, and shuffled throughout, a figurative Petri dish all day long, 5 days a week (with variance, looking at our district's plans).

It is stupid, all around. Short of maybe amusement parks, nothing could be more idiotic to reopen while the virus is still active in a given country. I don't think the common cold, or flu, would even be half as common as they are today if it weren't for mass public schooling.
« Last Edit: Thu, 09 July 2020, 19:11:53 by Maledicted »

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 09 July 2020, 18:19:49 »
Tp4 didn't learnz Nething in skool until collage.

What's the BFD,  just stay home, play diablo, learn 2 read EZ..

Show Image

They shouldn't open schools. I don't want kids to catch germs

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 09 July 2020, 18:56:46 »
The major benefit of school is not the education, but the learning to socialize and interact with peers and others you normally wouldn't associate with.
It is 100% necessary to have classes in-person if we hope to have emotionally competent and socially functional adults.
Kids these days are literally afraid to leave their homes and interact with new people, it's a horrible future that awaits if that mentality persists.
In terms of managing I have come to be very frustrated with younger people entering the workforce who constantly take a back-seat, never put themselves out there, and don't ask questions because they are scared to interact with the very people they work with on a daily biases. They are quite literally a determent due to the way they have been raised and molded by online interaction.
Working and learning exclusively from home is dangerous and will have drastic long-term effects across all of human society.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 09 July 2020, 19:21:52 »
The major benefit of school is not the education, but the learning to socialize and interact with peers and others you normally wouldn't associate with.
It is 100% necessary to have classes in-person if we hope to have emotionally competent and socially functional adults.
Kids these days are literally afraid to leave their homes and interact with new people, it's a horrible future that awaits if that mentality persists.
In terms of managing I have come to be very frustrated with younger people entering the workforce who constantly take a back-seat, never put themselves out there, and don't ask questions because they are scared to interact with the very people they work with on a daily biases. They are quite literally a determent due to the way they have been raised and molded by online interaction.
Working and learning exclusively from home is dangerous and will have drastic long-term effects across all of human society.

I never suggested that literally everyone should learn entirely from home, at their own pace instead of that of the hive mind, or even that anyone necessarily should for perpetuity, although I think I would personally have been much better off if I could have done so. I think in many cases, the opposite is the case. Many children are outgoing UNTIL they are thrown into school with their peers, then comes the hierarchy system, and who's cool and who's not, what's cool and what's not, cliques, trends, stereotypes, and all other manner of stupid/pointless and discouraging things, even before bullying comes into play. School breaks a lot of people, turns them into what you describe, not that plenty of people do not also thrive and greatly develop social skills ... should the stars align.

There's no perfect system/solution for any given situation, but what we have now is literally trash.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 09 July 2020, 20:01:56 »
So tired of hearing people talk about how children are not very likely to have severe complications.  Jesus ****ing christ, they go home.  You are literally exposing almost the ENTIRE US POPULATION to the disease, willingly. 

Open school when there is a vaccine.  Give the vaccine at school.  Vaccine required to attend.  No vaccine, no school.  Kids can wait a year.  Kids can even wait longer if needed.

Kids with emotional issues are better off than kids with dead parents.
« Last Edit: Thu, 09 July 2020, 20:30:27 by pixelpusher »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 09 July 2020, 20:09:07 »
Kids with emotional issues are better off than kids with dead parents.

Tp4 emotionally trained/ educated by Blizzard Entertainment.

IMHO, Tp4 = very mature/ compassionate/ contemplative.

Blizzard Entertainment = Best emotional development software.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 09 July 2020, 20:11:17 »

I never suggested that literally everyone should learn entirely from home, at their own pace instead of that of the hive mind, or even that anyone necessarily should for perpetuity, although I think I would personally have been much better off if I could have done so. I think in many cases, the opposite is the case. Many children are outgoing UNTIL they are thrown into school with their peers, then comes the hierarchy system, and who's cool and who's not, what's cool and what's not, cliques, trends, stereotypes, and all other manner of stupid/pointless and discouraging things, even before bullying comes into play. School breaks a lot of people, turns them into what you describe, not that plenty of people do not also thrive and greatly develop social skills ... should the stars align.

There's no perfect system/solution for any given situation, but what we have now is literally trash.

People covering their eyes and ears and never facing adversity from their little bubbles is exactly how we got where we are today.
Perhaps we should coddle our Marines as well if they are having a tough time during Hell Week. We could give them a blankey and hot coco and talk about their overbearing mothers while watching Gilmore Girls. That will truly forge the kinds of soldiers that will strike fear in the hearts of evil.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 09 July 2020, 20:34:30 »
Speaking of Marines.  Even the marines know it's not safe.  Guess what every branch of armed services is doing for any recruiting classes?  That's right.. 14 day isolation followed by COVID-19 test.  No one allowed on sight that isn't guaranteed 14 day clear of exposure.  I'd be down with that at schools, but it's not possible.  Like I said, the entire issue is that children return to their homes for 1/2 of the day.
« Last Edit: Thu, 09 July 2020, 20:37:24 by pixelpusher »

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 09 July 2020, 20:37:44 »
Lol.  Your Marine reference is pretty invalid here.  Plus, guess what?! Even the marines know it's not safe.  Guess what every branch of armed services is doing for any recruiting classes?  That's right.. 14 day isolation followed by COVID-19 test.  No one allowed on sight that isn't guaranteed 14 day clear of exposure.  I'd be down with that at schools, but it's not possible.  Like I said, the entire issue is that children return to their homes for 1/2 of the day.

I wasn't relating it to COVID, I am talking long-term psychological effects of hermit brain.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 09 July 2020, 20:41:56 »
Lol.  Your Marine reference is pretty invalid here.  Plus, guess what?! Even the marines know it's not safe.  Guess what every branch of armed services is doing for any recruiting classes?  That's right.. 14 day isolation followed by COVID-19 test.  No one allowed on sight that isn't guaranteed 14 day clear of exposure.  I'd be down with that at schools, but it's not possible.  Like I said, the entire issue is that children return to their homes for 1/2 of the day.

I wasn't relating it to COVID, I am talking long-term psychological effects of hermit brain.

I get it. And it was snarky of me the way I replied.  I'm just tense.  As are most of us lately.  I wish I didn't feel like I was living in bizzaro world. 
« Last Edit: Thu, 09 July 2020, 20:44:11 by pixelpusher »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 09 July 2020, 21:18:53 »

I have come to be very frustrated with younger people entering the workforce

School breaks a lot of people

Modern society is complex.

Bottom line is that there needs to be a work force cooperating to accomplish things.

If not school, then what other psychological preparation is there for the "real world"?

Cognitive distortions are patterns of thought, typically automatic and unconscious, that cause an inaccurate, negative view of situations, people, and/or events. These include things like jumping to conclusions; black-and-white thinking; negative mental filtering; overgeneralizing; mindreading (incorrectly believing we know what others are thinking, what their motives are); and emotional reasoning (believing that if we are feeling something, or if what we are thinking is associated with a strong emotion, it must be true).

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 09 July 2020, 21:55:02 »

Bottom line is that there needs to be a work force cooperating to accomplish things.

If not school, then what other psychological preparation is there for the "real world"?

Definitely not the internet where instead of having your ideas challenged people tend to gravitate to safe space echo chambers that reflect their preconceived notions. That's what is really frightening, people being fine living in a world that doesn't challenge them to think differently or understand fresh concepts.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 09 July 2020, 22:04:22 »

What does that necessarily even have to do with alternative/more streamlined/personal/efficient methods of schooling vs. the refuse that we have now, and how does it necessarily even happen less when forcing everyone to sit in a classroom and have a teacher drone on so the slow kids can keep up while half of the rest go to sleep, etc? What about those nonsensical, bad social habits it instills into the thought processes of the youth is good? I imagine most kids need a good existentialism course to attempt to shake them back out of the resulting ingrained herd mentality and flight from independent thought that it seeds.

I have been told that I was always smiling before school, and very outgoing. Maybe I would have developed the same way regardless, but there was nothing at all throughout my entire school experience that did anything other than reverse this. As I am now, I am introverted, maybe even antisocial. I have developed social skills, out of necessity, but do not hold them in high regard. Some people are also, in fact, just different kinds of people regardless of whatever interactions they may have had during development.

That's the one thing that I can say that school did give me. I taught myself to self-regulate every inch of my psyche, myself, with only my mind (no substances, no shrinks). Meandering lectures that were often about nothing of relevance at all to the lesson and long bus rides were spent pondering philosophy and developing a worldview, even before I knew what philosophy was.

I saw your somewhat recent posts in the "What's bothering you?" thread, about basically feeling useless. I always found the title of that thread curious. School, indirectly, through otherwise wasted time put to good use through introspection, also helped me with that. I think others touched on it in that thread too. You don't have any meaning, I don't have any meaning, the universe and all that's it in has no meaning at all. We spend our lives distracting ourselves from that through the pursuit of arbitrary life goals, hobbies and entertainment, which also have no meaning. The earth orbited the sun an unknown number of times before we were born, it will do so after we're gone, and it will take an insignificant amount of the churning of the sands of time before our ever having existed to begin with will be rendered irrelevant, regardless of whatever we did that could reasonably be considered accomplishments. From dust to dust, as they say.

School taught me that, through negative interactions and time to kill thinking ... although that has nothing at all to do with what it was meant to do. Becoming comfortable both with that and the somewhat-related fact that there's literally no benefit at all to worrying about things that you cannot control, and finding a way to stop those tendencies in their tracks, go a long way towards ensuring you'll be relatively unphased by just about anything that may happen. I don't worry about much at all anymore. What will be will be. School obliquely set me down that path.

I think a lot more can be expected from a radically-reformed system though, one that's not structured entirely as if it were still the 1800s, when the sources of knowledge themselves were inaccessible to most outside of a classroom. I find their constant faux emphasis on innovation amusing, they've innovated very little in centuries, and in the cases of things previously mentioned, like apprenticeships, education has actually devolved, to the detriment of us all.

I get it. And it was snarky of me the way I replied.  I'm just tense.  As are most of us lately.  I wish I didn't feel like I was living in bizzaro world. 

We've always lived in bizzaro world. Most things society values are pointless, most of the processes they implement as standard in a given situation are inherently inefficient/irrational, or even counter-productive. I'm no anarchist, but I would tear the whole thing down and rebuild it if given a choice. I think crisis only highlights how misguided people already always are.

Definitely not the internet where instead of having your ideas challenged people tend to gravitate to safe space echo chambers that reflect their preconceived notions. That's what is really frightening, people being fine living in a world that doesn't challenge them to think differently or understand fresh concepts.

I'm not sure what the point of this perceived dichotomy is. There is not traditional schooling vs. arbitrary partss of the unrestricted expanse of the internet, normal socialization vs social media (which I abhor).

There is free thought vs. echo chambers ... cliques, stereotypes, trends ... like we know are rampant ... in schools, as well as on social media, etc, but that really has nothing directly related traditional schooling vs. alternatives either. I know my first brush with free thought actually being taught in a classroom was in an elective philosophy class, and I actually think that philosophy being required is one of the first things that should change.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 10 July 2020, 08:43:39 »

We've always lived in bizzaro world.

No.

I don't know how old you are, but I would peg the tipping point at about 1978. But the degradation in education had been happening for at least a decade prior to that.

When I was educated (in the public school system) we were taught critical thinking and intellectual responsibility. Taught that education was a lifetime endeavor.

If you are seriously interested in what has happened to this country in the past 40 years, an excellent start is "Democracy in Chains" by MacLean.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 10 July 2020, 17:11:11 »

We've always lived in bizzaro world.

No.

I don't know how old you are, but I would peg the tipping point at about 1978. But the degradation in education had been happening for at least a decade prior to that.

When I was educated (in the public school system) we were taught critical thinking and intellectual responsibility. Taught that education was a lifetime endeavor.

If you are seriously interested in what has happened to this country in the past 40 years, an excellent start is "Democracy in Chains" by MacLean.

In terms of US government it felt all downhill after 9/11 like they used that as an excuse to take freedoms away and just kept that going. I genuinely feel really bad for kids growing up now who don't know what living in the US was like pre 9/11. It wasn't perfect but the issues certainly were smaller and more regional.
Then after the 2016 election things got bad shockingly fast. Or I should say they got worse.

Those two events - 9/11 and the 2016 election, have ruined this country

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 11 July 2020, 08:05:03 »

things got bad shockingly fast. Or I should say they got worse.

The stature of the USA as the unquestioned leader of the world peaked with the space program.

After that high, which had blinded most of us to the horrors going on in the world, especially the war in Vietnam, there was a big slump. That was quickly followed by the Watergate scandal which eviscerated the public's trust in the office of the President and the Radical Right was able to step into that vacuum with its 50-year-plan which was already underway.

What we are seeing today, including perpetual wars in the Middle East and the rise of radical nationalism, are just straight-line consequences of a road map that was written in the late 1950s.

Offline Shapey Fiend

« Reply #21 on: Sun, 12 July 2020, 12:12:02 »
If schools weren't allergic to change they'd come up with a system that was part online learning, part on site and part work placement. Then they could deploy the best resources on a broader scale instead of most people having a couple of good teachers and the rest being middling to bad.

Kids could go into school two days a week and get much more 1 to 1 attention with the things they're struggling with.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 12 July 2020, 12:19:03 »
If schools weren't allergic to change they'd come up with a system that was part online learning, part on site and part work placement. Then they could deploy the best resources on a broader scale instead of most people having a couple of good teachers and the rest being middling to bad.

Kids could go into school two days a week and get much more 1 to 1 attention with the things they're struggling with.

That's simply not how human society is organized.

You have to produce, 10 physicists, 5 mathematicians, 200 doctors, 10000 construction workers.

Because these proportions exist, it would create Critical societal friction if distributions are not adhered to.

Education from the top down is not and has never been <be all you can be>. It's impossible for humans to be organized equally BY control structures reined by OTHER-humans.

AI decision making could equalize and optimize many areas, however, we will always be required to produce a MAJORITY baseline of poorly educated humans who are not unlike slaves.

Moving into the VERY distant future, with Cybernetic wet-ware entering the true cyborg era, Only then will we have individual parity regardless of occupation.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 13 July 2020, 10:52:47 »

things got bad shockingly fast. Or I should say they got worse.

The stature of the USA as the unquestioned leader of the world peaked with the space program.

After that high, which had blinded most of us to the horrors going on in the world, especially the war in Vietnam, there was a big slump. That was quickly followed by the Watergate scandal which eviscerated the public's trust in the office of the President and the Radical Right was able to step into that vacuum with its 50-year-plan which was already underway.

What we are seeing today, including perpetual wars in the Middle East and the rise of radical nationalism, are just straight-line consequences of a road map that was written in the late 1950s.

Our constitutional freedoms were already being arbitrarily eroded around 100 years ago now, including but not limited to the NFA of 1934 ... which ironically came as a response to the organized crime that was itself created by the similarly irrational/ineffective prohibition of alcohol. There have been controversies/scandals in the office of the president almost as long as we've had presidents. Even Ulysses S. Grant's cabinet was not immune. It isn't even clear to this day whether or not the explosion of the U.S.S. Maine was a false flag, which was our entire justification for ramping up hostility towards Spain, leading to the Spanish-American war, through which we occupied multiple former Spanish colonies and exerted total economic control over them in the background.

Very little has actually changed in these regards. The biggest thing that has changed is the intensity and sheer falsity of the propaganda being crammed down our throats by the major media conglomerates.

That's simply not how human society is organized.

You have to produce, 10 physicists, 5 mathematicians, 200 doctors, 10000 construction workers.

Because these proportions exist, it would create Critical societal friction if distributions are not adhered to.

Education from the top down is not and has never been <be all you can be>. It's impossible for humans to be organized equally BY control structures reined by OTHER-humans.

AI decision making could equalize and optimize many areas, however, we will always be required to produce a MAJORITY baseline of poorly educated humans who are not unlike slaves.

Moving into the VERY distant future, with Cybernetic wet-ware entering the true cyborg era, Only then will we have individual parity regardless of occupation.

I disagree. What we've created in recent decades is just a system that stymies the natural progression of a free market. It used to be that if you had the skills, knowledge, drive, etc, necessary to succeed and were willing to put all of your energy into a goal, you could be whoever you wanted to be within a business. Those who lacked those skills and/or motivation would remain in menial jobs. If you wanted to rise above even that, and lay it all on the line, you could make your fortune. Most failed in that endeavor, as most still do, and even those who succeeded could lose it all if not careful.

A hybrid system like Shapey Fiend suggests is exactly what we need, but that would mean that the best people for the job would get the job as opposed to those who happen to have the means to purchase their piece of paper that says that they should get the job instead of others. Ideally, removing the extremely arbitrary and constrictive college education system of degrees would also mean that as people find that they may not be great at economics, they could easily transition to something else that actually fits them better with a little time invested. In a free market, we'll always have close to the workers that we need, because demand for doctors will increase when supply is low. If more janitors have upward mobility to become business executives, engineers, scientists, then demand for more janitors will increase ... and they'll end up having to pay them livable wages to incentivize applications from people who could otherwise choose another path.

This would not only go a long way to ensuring upward mobility for all who put in the effort, it should help to better balance of income in a supply/demand sense. There's no reason CEOS should be making millions of dollars a year, and if businesses realized that there are thousands, tens of thousands, maybe more, of people who don't have masters degrees in engineering and/or business management that could do the job just as well, businesses would no longer see any reason to pay them that much. They would also be more likely to be removed from their job if performance isn't good, as replacing them would be much more simple, and the cream would rise to the top (in all fields).

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 13 July 2020, 18:50:23 »

Our constitutional freedoms were already being arbitrarily eroded around 100 years ago now, including but not limited to the NFA of 1934 ... which ironically came as a response to the organized crime that was itself created by the similarly irrational/ineffective prohibition of alcohol. There have been controversies/scandals in the office of the president almost as long as we've had presidents. Even Ulysses S. Grant's cabinet was not immune. It isn't even clear to this day whether or not the explosion of the U.S.S. Maine was a false flag, which was our entire justification for ramping up hostility towards Spain, leading to the Spanish-American war, through which we occupied multiple former Spanish colonies and exerted total economic control over them in the background.

Very little has actually changed in these regards. The biggest thing that has changed is the intensity and sheer falsity of the propaganda being crammed down our throats by the major media conglomerates.

What you said is generally true, but has nothing whatsoever to do with what I said.

Funny that in invoking early US history you talk about Prohibition without mentioning the Whiskey Rebellion, single out the Grant administration as if it was one of the better ones rather than one of the most corrupt, and talk about Teddy Roosevelt's Philippines intervention without mentioning the installation of the Shah (Eisenhower's single greatest blunder) that has destabilized the world to this day.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 13 July 2020, 20:10:23 »

What you said is generally true, but has nothing whatsoever to do with what I said.

Funny that in invoking early US history you talk about Prohibition without mentioning the Whiskey Rebellion, single out the Grant administration as if it was one of the better ones rather than one of the most corrupt, and talk about Teddy Roosevelt's Philippines intervention without mentioning the installation of the Shah (Eisenhower's single greatest blunder) that has destabilized the world to this day.

I was commenting on the general conversation overall. Noisyturtle said that freedoms have been being erased since 9/11, and you had told me that we were not living in a bizarro world until the last few decades, so I gave much older examples of similarly outrageous events in our history. I think that humanity, in general, has always lived under an imperfect system of governance, society norms, and economic policy. This fluctuates with time. Government policy improves ... or declines, freedoms expand ... or shrink, economic policy produces prosperity ... or stifles it, etc, etc. I don't know that humanity, as a whole, has really improved at all overall over the last 100+ years. In many ways things have gotten much worse, while in many ways things have gotten much better. We always arbitrarily latch onto a perceived issue, change it fundamentally, and move on without ever questioning whether or not that decision even made any sense to do.

We're certainly better off than when slavery was rampant throughout the developed western world (it still is in many parts of the world to this day), and our joke of a political system is certainly better than fealty to a king, but most of the rest has just been a meandering give and take.

What does the Whiskey Rebellion have to do with Prohibition? One was a dispute over taxation of the sale of whiskey, one was the outright banning of the sale of alcoholic beverages. They're similar only in what it was that was being taxed/prohibited, not much else.

I singled out Grant because he was the one, off of the top of my head, that went the furthest back with a major corruption scandal that could reasonably have gone all of the way to the office of the president. Would you have preferred another example?

I wasn't doing a comprehensive recap of all of the shady dealings of the United States. I assure you, there was no particular reason I didn't bring up reservations, the trail of tears, etc, etc as well.

I'll have to look more into the Shah, since that region had already been destabilized for millennia. I always look most closely at the Treaty of Versailles, in modern times, since it arbitrarily redrew almost all of the borders of middle east based on the greedy territorial pursuits of the entente powers, ignoring religious and ethnic considerations entirely. Why narrow in on Eisenhower, in particular, when the cold war is smattered with our attempts at propping up puppet governments?

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 14 July 2020, 10:31:18 »
My point was that while although I do believe (or at least hope) that "The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice." - Theodore Parker; the US in particular has been being carefully set up for a retrograde period since the Buchanan/Tullock writings, primed by the 9/11 event and Great Recession, and blown into full flower by the election of Trump - fully aided and abetted by the unconscionable corruption of McConnell and the cowardice of his Senate.

I mentioned the Whiskey Rebellion because you wanted to reach back in history, and that was the major internal political conflagration that occurred during Washington's first term. I was acknowledging your point that arguments went all the way back to the beginning (and keep popping up like Whack-A-Mole). I also agree that the Middle East is impossibly screwed up in almost any way imaginable (at the minimum the Kurds and the Palestinians need to have their own countries). Our Cold War interventions were heinous, the egregious stain on Eisenhower's presidency (an otherwise great and unsung leader, in my opinion), but Iran was the worst by an order of magnitude, not least because it is festering to this day in the worst possible geopolitical position.

As horrible as Vietnam was, we did finally leave and the country recovered. And, yes, Jackson's "Trail of Tears" was inconceivably hateful and cruel.

In recent years I get particularly vexed hearing so much "both-sides-ism" and tangential false equivalencies as a diversionary tactic to excuse, justify, or avoid talking directly about the reality of the here and now. Racism survived slavery practically unabated, and millions of people still want to continue fighting the Civil War. That, yes, truly is Bizzaro World, and the one and only solution is for the haters to let it go. Their cause was hopeless in 1865, and it is even more so now. Demonstrating that they can do a colossal amount of damage on the way out will prove nothing but to reinforce the world's disgust and resentment of their behavior. Refusal to wear a mask and observe minimal social respect, aggressively infantile and part and parcel of the overarching attitude of some notion of "personal freedom" is ludicrous and directly related to the "I don't have to do what "the gub'ment" tells me" because .... reasons ....

I was on an very positive section of the arc after reading this book a few years ago:  https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13543093-the-better-angels-of-our-nature

But I am afraid that we struck an enormous obstacle and setback in 2016, and that the damage is incalculable and some of it will be permanent. I have come to the conclusion that we will never have security and peace in the world until there is some form of world cooperation and authority (I would say the word "government" but that would make the isolationists go ape****). Modern communications and technology have made the planet a rather small place, and even a minimum of coordination and oversight would smooth out the ride considerably. That would also be the only appropriate forum for protecting human rights from oppressive governments inside of sovereign borders.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 14 July 2020, 10:38:04 »
Just looked up some stats.

We've got,   35%-40% age 2-19 young people = overweight,  ~20% obese

Covid will be very dangerous even for young people.

It's been established that our young people get sicker (w/ more severe covid symptoms) than the young people of other countries.

As unpleasant as it is to talk about, weight seems to be a critical co-morbidity in Covid.

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 14 July 2020, 13:28:13 »
I can definitely say I'm not comfortable sending my son off to Kindergarten this coming school year due to everything.  I would be comfortable if he was able to attend through the private school he was in if they offered it, and either way he's actually above that level in school as it is.  Only thing is I do want him to socialize more and get more comfortable around other children his age.  It's a hard choice in the end, especially since myself and his mom need to work this fall so we can buy a house.

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #29 on: Sat, 18 July 2020, 07:01:34 »
This whole block CDC from testifying thing. How do ya'll feel bout it.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #30 on: Sat, 18 July 2020, 08:03:37 »
In any normal universe it would be a horrific act of autocratic obfuscation, but now it is just another day in Trump-World.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 29 July 2020, 15:05:33 »
This whole block CDC from testifying thing. How do ya'll feel bout it.

Lucky i live in Canada

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #32 on: Sat, 01 August 2020, 12:22:46 »
Georgia Camp,  76% children were infected despite CDC safety protocols.

Well that dnt'wurk.

138 trainees and 120 staff members,  joined by 366 participants. Only took 6 days.

:::Projection found that, if schools had stayed open, there could have been roughly 424 more coronavirus infections and 13 more deaths per 100,000 residents over the course of 26 days.

Extrapolate that to the American population, and the country might have seen as many as 1.37 million more cases and 40,600 more deaths:::

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: Sat, 01 August 2020, 13:01:50 »

Show Image

No idea what this camp is but that's crazy, I don't suppose they have any idea what % were sent infected?  I'm guessing more than the 0% that should have been (surely they were tested shortly before...)
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #34 on: Tue, 04 August 2020, 10:48:20 »

Show Image

No idea what this camp is but that's crazy, I don't suppose they have any idea what % were sent infected?  I'm guessing more than the 0% that should have been (surely they were tested shortly before...)

Just in the last week, I have seen 3 groups of kids playing sports together in close quarters with no masks, between two different cities. How bad does it need to get before people start giving a crap? At least it was outside, I guess.

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #35 on: Wed, 05 August 2020, 10:15:00 »

Well that dnt'wurk.

138 trainees and 120 staff members,  joined by 366 participants. Only took 6 days.

:::Projection found that, if schools had stayed open, there could have been roughly 424 more coronavirus infections and 13 more deaths per 100,000 residents over the course of 26 days.

Extrapolate that to the American population, and the country might have seen as many as 1.37 million more cases and 40,600 more deaths:::

Show Image

Fortunately the county I live in in GA is schooling from home, still wonder how they're going to teach elementary/primary school via online interaction - I think they should hold class via Minecraft or Roblox lol - it would definitely keep my son attentive for his classes.  In all I think the majority wanting to send their kids back to school no matter what are morons, part of me wants to send him to school for the social aspect but with this going on I'm not risking it for his sake - for all I know he has an under lying health issue that could cause complications let alone bring it home. 
We never got through the initial wave of this so why push it, from my point of view the rest of the world has handled this fairly well for the most part - especially Canada. Just 'Murica has to act 'Murica and follow the Orange man like a bunch of lemmings off the cliff.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #36 on: Wed, 05 August 2020, 11:06:40 »

We never got through the initial wave of this

Having moved from Cobb County, Georgia, to Knox County, Tennessee, just before the onset of the corona virus pandemic (and having lived in these areas for nearly my entire life), I can say that although East Tennessee residents are just as obstreperous as North Georgia residents with respect to the severity and response to it, they are far less aggressive about it.

While both state and county are about 2/3 the size and population of their Georgia counterparts, the infection rate, and death toll in particular, are dramatically less. Admittedly, Cobb County is a particular hot spot while Knox County is an island of safety, but the differences are stark.

Regardless, just because an isolated neighborhood / city / county / state has weathered a cycle of infection and recovery, the country *as a whole* will not be safe until the country *as a whole* has a valid comprehensive plan - and follows it to its conclusion! (as all the successful countries have done)

Otherwise there will be a continuous cycle of infection replenished from the latest pocket of disease.

Remember, when a sick person and a well person are in a room together, the disease of the sick person will always attempt to infect the well person, but the health of the well person will never cure the sick person.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #37 on: Wed, 05 August 2020, 11:31:54 »
It's really impossible to have any AFK situations for the next 2-3 years due to the existing spread of the virus.

If we had initial lockdowns and kept numbers low,  some openings may be possible, but NOT as it is now.

What does it take, 10 million tests anytime a few cases are detected, compulsory contact tracing, sporadic Lockdowns of entire towns,  military enforcement.

US does not have this kind of organization.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #38 on: Wed, 05 August 2020, 12:09:01 »
Whatup with this 7 kiddos dying of covid in florida range (9 - 17yrs) ??

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #39 on: Wed, 05 August 2020, 13:02:20 »
It's really impossible to have any AFK situations for the next 2-3 years due to the existing spread of the virus.

If we had initial lockdowns and kept numbers low,  some openings may be possible, but NOT as it is now.

What does it take, 10 million tests anytime a few cases are detected, compulsory contact tracing, sporadic Lockdowns of entire towns,  military enforcement.

US does not have this kind of organization.

US seems to not have any form of organization when it comes to this, all we had to do was follow the lead and actions from our allied countries. 

We never got through the initial wave of this

Having moved from Cobb County, Georgia, to Knox County, Tennessee, just before the onset of the corona virus pandemic (and having lived in these areas for nearly my entire life), I can say that although East Tennessee residents are just as obstreperous as North Georgia residents with respect to the severity and response to it, they are far less aggressive about it.

While both state and county are about 2/3 the size and population of their Georgia counterparts, the infection rate, and death toll in particular, are dramatically less. Admittedly, Cobb County is a particular hot spot while Knox County is an island of safety, but the differences are stark.

Regardless, just because an isolated neighborhood / city / county / state has weathered a cycle of infection and recovery, the country *as a whole* will not be safe until the country *as a whole* has a valid comprehensive plan - and follows it to its conclusion! (as all the successful countries have done)

Otherwise there will be a continuous cycle of infection replenished from the latest pocket of disease.

Remember, when a sick person and a well person are in a room together, the disease of the sick person will always attempt to infect the well person, but the health of the well person will never cure the sick person.

I'm not a fan of Cobb county, originally grew up in Fulton/Dekalb areas (Sandy Springs/Buckhead/Dunwoody), the people out here in North Cobb are of a different breed (Live in Acworth and work in Kennesaw).  I swear some of the people in this county are the ones the media looks for when they need a half minded person to recall an event.  Also part of the reason why I have also lived between here and Nantucket, MA (prefer New Englanders and Canadians over most down here).  They can't seem to grasp that just because one area is fine that doesn't mean all are, I do miss how sparse traffic was during the stay-home order (still had to work during that since we were deemed essential thanks to certain client contracts).

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #40 on: Wed, 05 August 2020, 13:33:03 »

originally grew up in Fulton/Dekalb areas (Sandy Springs/Buckhead/Dunwoody), the people out here in North   West Cobb are of a different breed

Fixed that for you. You would feel at home in East Cobb.

Offline Kavik

« Reply #41 on: Wed, 05 August 2020, 13:48:08 »
We had our shot, and we blew it. Opening schools will make it impossible to control anything. It's vaccine or bust now, probably bust.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #42 on: Wed, 05 August 2020, 15:15:37 »

US seems to not have any form of organization when it comes to this, all we had to do was follow the lead and actions from our allied countries. 

USA plans for the Pandemic.. IDK guys,  Buy more AAPL. 

Yes sir, right away, the economy sir.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #43 on: Wed, 05 August 2020, 15:16:55 »
We had our shot, and we blew it. Opening schools will make it impossible to control anything. It's vaccine or bust now, probably bust.

I think indications from the -Market- is that it's likely ONE of these vaccines will work, and over time, it should come under control,  but it's anyone's guess. We will still be absorbing another 100-200 thousand deaths.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #44 on: Thu, 06 August 2020, 06:01:27 »
Georgia Second grader test positive 1st day of school reopening

North Paulding Georgia school reopens DESPITE knowing ahead of time, sports team were covid positive, Staff covid positive. ??

Trump insists children (virtually Immune)

Texas school superintendent Dies of Covid @ age 46

Research expects most large schools to have Covid infection cases within 1st week.

Reduced Virus testing across US, despite cases rise.

Thales Academy (private school) poster child of Pence promoted reopening, 4th grade and teachers entering quarantine.

6 positive test cases in Corinth Mississippi, school remains open, 100+ quarantined.

Mississippi schools not required to disclose covid outbreaks ??

Crowded school hallway photos spreading on social media, Why is this news, schools are like that 100% of the time. Why was this not taken into account.

New York Department of Education has already lost 74 employees to Covid.

Tennessee, 50 school districts opened, in just 2 WEEKS, 14 confirmed Covid cases, 2 districts already closed 

There's an EASIER way to teach english + math

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #45 on: Fri, 07 August 2020, 02:51:40 »
Hmmm... next week schools re-open in UK, will see how it goes...
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline -Jerry-

• OR '1'='1'
    • Jerry Talks Tech
« Reply #46 on: Fri, 07 August 2020, 03:27:49 »

We will indeed. My son has been back at nursery for the past month and by all accounts they've all been fine there, but then they have smaller humans they can put in single rooms and can 'bubble' them fairly well.

Good luck doing that with older kids.
"Romeo"     "Split75"   "Melody96"     "KBD8X MKII"     "Womier K87"

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #47 on: Fri, 07 August 2020, 05:50:46 »

We will indeed. My son has been back at nursery for the past month and by all accounts they've all been fine there, but then they have smaller humans they can put in single rooms and can 'bubble' them fairly well.

Offline -Jerry-

• OR '1'='1'
    • Jerry Talks Tech
« Reply #48 on: Fri, 07 August 2020, 05:53:08 »

Show Image

Yes, yes, I know tp4 think Jerry cray cray
"Romeo"     "Split75"   "Melody96"     "KBD8X MKII"     "Womier K87"

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #49 on: Fri, 07 August 2020, 06:22:51 »

Show Image

Yes, yes, I know tp4 think Jerry cray cray

What?  :D Why tp4 is shouting? What does cray cray mean?
« Last Edit: Fri, 07 August 2020, 06:24:28 by phinix »
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::