Author Topic: What Keyboard Are You Using Now?  (Read 2763402 times)

Offline i3d

Re: What Keyboard Are You Using Now?
« Reply #6850 on: Mon, 29 June 2020, 13:56:25 »
currently mbp13 native. still searching for my very first MK. For now, tentatively wanted to try RK71 as a starter.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #6851 on: Mon, 29 June 2020, 14:20:17 »
currently mbp13 native. still searching for my very first MK. For now, tentatively wanted to try RK71 as a starter.

I'm sorry to hear that about the MBP keyboard. What was your first mechanical keyboard? I like the layout on that RK71, and the fact that it seems to use mostly standard caps, now that you mention it.

Offline parablol

« Reply #6852 on: Mon, 29 June 2020, 15:18:51 »
Tex Yoda II on the gaming rig.

Preonic at my home office.

Two Planck keebs at my desk job.

Offline funkmon

« Reply #6853 on: Mon, 29 June 2020, 17:06:13 »
How is that trackpoint on the Tex? Is it pretty solid? Feel like the IBM one?

Offline ShadowKeebs

« Reply #6854 on: Wed, 08 July 2020, 10:17:20 »
Currently have a 65% DZ65% hotswap pcb, GMK screw in stabs lubes clipped and band-aid modded, blue switches(looking to upgrade to higher class linears soon), tofu case, random banggood keycaps w/o page up or page down and no 1.75u shift (waiting for my gmk henneseys to come)

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #6855 on: Thu, 09 July 2020, 18:40:35 »

Currently have a 65% DZ65% hotswap pcb, GMK screw in stabs lubes clipped and band-aid modded, blue switches(looking to upgrade to higher class linears soon), tofu case, random banggood keycaps w/o page up or page down and no 1.75u shift (waiting for my gmk henneseys to come)

Nice. I looked at the DZ65, but customization options for anything that's not 40 or 60% is pretty sparse, unfortunately. I was confused by all of the Gucci stabilizer stuff until you mentioned putting nice linears in it, lol.

This thread seems to have cooled off a while, and I just got the motivation to do some tweaks to one of my previously-posted boards, my Corsair K65 with box navies installed. My zinc caps finally came in recently, since why have a big exposed, dye-less plate without metal keycaps to go along with it?

246879-0

The number row and modifiers are still from some random generic Amazon "Dolch" set, since apparently either I never ordered the number row or they were out of stock (now resolved), and the modifiers are still lost in Narnia somewhere.

246881-1

I think it may even look better just the way it is, and I don't know if I'm ever going to find a space bar again anyway. I could have sworn I saw one once ... somewhere.

The sound is even more entertaining than it already was. Box navies in a K65 already cause a lot of reverberated ping when typing with gusto. With the metal caps, it reminds me almost of some sort of muted service bell with each press. I don't think it will ever get old.

If the lack of home bumps ever bothers me, I'll probably dab some hot glue on the F and J keys like I do with my F ATs, but these caps seem to be clear coated to help prevent the corrosion on past similar sets.
« Last Edit: Thu, 09 July 2020, 18:42:10 by Maledicted »

Offline funkmon

« Reply #6856 on: Thu, 09 July 2020, 19:46:17 »
I can't tell if that looks horrible or awesome. Haha! How's it type?

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #6857 on: Thu, 09 July 2020, 22:10:05 »
I can't tell if that looks horrible or awesome. Haha! How's it type?

Well, you know how nice typing is on really chunky conventional caps? I would say it is much the same with this, just I think I notice depressing the switch is easier due to the weight of the caps, without really any loss in the balance between tactile event and spring. Bottoming out feels even more sudden and solid than normal, and it sounds like some kind of bygone contraption. I'll give it some time, but I do think I very much enjoy it so far.

Offline funkmon

« Reply #6858 on: Fri, 10 July 2020, 16:32:20 »
That sounds ideal! So it's like a light switch but with all the benefits of a heavy one! Awesome!

Just for giggles, I'm still on and off experimenting with space saving layouts, and considering I've been maining an XT for a while as my space saver, I decided to whip my 96% keyboard out again. It's cheap and I actually put on the lightest keycaps I have on it. It's got Outemu blues on it, which feel lighter and slightly more tactile than blues while still being loud. I did the lighter caps to force some more tactility in there.

It's actually been really great. The SA caps that used to be there were really cramping my style in terms of tactility. So, I think I like this ****tier lighter ones. It feels so much better now. Almost as good as the lighter box switches. Pink and below.

Much impressed with **** boards, and the layout is great too, except I don't even use the arrows anymore. Loving this.

What's a high quality 96% I can put Alps in?

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #6859 on: Fri, 10 July 2020, 17:42:48 »
That sounds ideal! So it's like a light switch but with all the benefits of a heavy one! Awesome!

Just for giggles, I'm still on and off experimenting with space saving layouts, and considering I've been maining an XT for a while as my space saver, I decided to whip my 96% keyboard out again. It's cheap and I actually put on the lightest keycaps I have on it. It's got Outemu blues on it, which feel lighter and slightly more tactile than blues while still being loud. I did the lighter caps to force some more tactility in there.

It's actually been really great. The SA caps that used to be there were really cramping my style in terms of tactility. So, I think I like this ****tier lighter ones. It feels so much better now. Almost as good as the lighter box switches. Pink and below.

Much impressed with **** boards, and the layout is great too, except I don't even use the arrows anymore. Loving this.

What's a high quality 96% I can put Alps in?

Yeah, I don't know that I would call it a light switch, we're still talking about box navies, but I can tell that they seem lighter. No hesitation in returning though either, like some people seem to really worry about with jades for no reason.

I like the idea behind 96% boards. Everything (most) anyone could need without wasting space. I love the fact that Outemu blues are one of the most common switches on some of the cheapest boards, and they're still one of (in my opinion) the best-feeling modern MX-compatible clickies. Someone wanted help finding a first full-sized mechanical (and clicky) board, on an extremely tight budget, recent. I pointed them towards a cheap Outemu Amazon board. They've loved it so far.

Yeah, outside of wanting a very specific feel, or sound, I don't understand all of the emphasis on caps needing to conform to very specific criteria to be considered good. I never will.

Offline WholesomeDucky

• lemme get uhhhhhhhhhhhhh bread
« Reply #6860 on: Mon, 13 July 2020, 10:26:04 »
Switch Couture Alice at work, ePBT 9009 and lubed Halo Trues

Leopold FC660M at home, stock Sky Blue caps and lubed T1s

On a side note, I really wish Leopold would just sell caps. Their doubleshot PBT are legendary IMO
12 years of spending money on typing

"Name checks out" -Kustoms, 2020

Discord:wholesomeducky
Inbox always open, for whatever reason.

Offline hellla

« Reply #6861 on: Mon, 13 July 2020, 18:36:14 »
Black Tofu HHKB w/ Gat Ink Blacks and ePBT BoW  :cool:

Offline MrMarcie

• Looking for ....
« Reply #6862 on: Tue, 14 July 2020, 17:36:27 »
Just build my first keyboard. A DZ60 PCB with a 60% case from KBD and Kailh Box Pale Blue's. Still waiting on my keycaps so for now there is a SA keycap set on it. Types so much better than my Magicforce 82 with Gateron Greens. However the Pale Blue's feel heavier than I expected. But maybe it needs some time to adjust and get used to them.

But it's a long search for the right switches. I have my GK61 equiped with the Kailh Box pinks and they are also very good.

Something nice will be placed here. Someday when I have inspiration again.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #6863 on: Tue, 14 July 2020, 18:35:33 »
Just build my first keyboard. A DZ60 PCB with a 60% case from KBD and Kailh Box Pale Blue's. Still waiting on my keycaps so for now there is a SA keycap set on it. Types so much better than my Magicforce 82 with Gateron Greens. However the Pale Blue's feel heavier than I expected. But maybe it needs some time to adjust and get used to them.

But it's a long search for the right switches. I have my GK61 equiped with the Kailh Box pinks and they are also very good.

Nice, that looks great. You certainly couldn't go wrong with that combination of parts. Which do you like more between pale blues and pinks? I think you'll get used to typing on the pale blues with a day or so of relatively steady use. If I remember right, the pale blues do have a very stiff spring, with the only difference between them and box navies being the thickness of the click bar. Somehow, I never seemed to find pale blues very stiff though myself, on a tester.

Offline adsimilisjesu

« Reply #6864 on: Wed, 15 July 2020, 00:16:28 »
igk68 with gateron ink blacks (just removed my tactiles today)

Offline econeuler

« Reply #6865 on: Wed, 15 July 2020, 06:22:28 »
Typing on a Pok3r with blue switches atm, I have been thinking of doing a jailhouse mod on these, is that out of fashion?
Better to just switch to tactile switches, what do you guys think?

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #6866 on: Wed, 15 July 2020, 06:48:18 »
Rama U80-A :D

9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #6867 on: Wed, 15 July 2020, 07:56:10 »

I have been thinking of doing a jailhouse mod on these

I am not a Cherry user, personally, but jailhoused blue is a particularly excellent choice, in my opinion.

"It turns out that for a decade, whenever Trump wanted to get a loan, or make a deal, he would inflate the value of his real estate. For instance, suggesting that his 11,000-square foot penthouse was a 30,000-square foot penthouse.
And the attorney general of New York knew that Trump's property values were inflated because when it came time to pay taxes, Trump undervalued the very same properties.
It was all part of a very sophisticated real estate practice known as “lying.”
- Jon Stewart 2024-03-28

Offline jamster

« Reply #6868 on: Sat, 18 July 2020, 10:42:33 »
Dumang DK6 with Outemu Silent Skies.

This 'board' is a total head trip, and very impressive.

The downside- split ergo and a totally re-jigged, shifted ortholinear layout with thumb clusters has totally wrecked my typing speed. Just making this short post is tough going.

I really like the switches, too. So much better than Cherry MX.

Offline shallot

« Reply #6869 on: Sat, 18 July 2020, 11:05:13 »
My alps64 build with cream damped alps (dampers removed) is currently on the go, though the rotation rotates pretty quickly these days (hence more than one cable on my desk for keyboards)

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #6870 on: Sat, 18 July 2020, 12:37:05 »
My new F62 Kishsaver:

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #6871 on: Sat, 18 July 2020, 14:30:24 »
My alps64 build with cream damped alps (dampers removed) is currently on the go, though the rotation rotates pretty quickly these days (hence more than one cable on my desk for keyboards)

Looking good. I don't think I have tried those switches yet myself. I should look more into modern Alps PCBs, etc, since I love my Matias boards but the caps aren't exactly standard.

My new F62 Kishsaver:

Beautiful. I have seen it in the GB thread, but I don't think there's really any way to get too much of it. You make me wonder if I should get a red F77 case ... or yet another F77. I already have the industrial gray and have a black coming, eventually.

Offline shallot

« Reply #6872 on: Sun, 19 July 2020, 04:05:45 »
tbf, cream damped are lovely switches (not as good as oranges or salmons, imo, but much more common and better if you wanna stay quiet) - dampers out was something i wanted to try after a friend and I took the dampers out of an AEK we were restoring for her. it's... unique (in a good way!) - i think that comes from the sudden introduction of quite a bit of hollow space where the dampers once were that you wouldn't get on a standard slider
« Last Edit: Sun, 19 July 2020, 04:33:38 by shallot »

Offline Lansky

• Realest motherthocker
« Reply #6873 on: Sun, 19 July 2020, 12:09:28 »
Finally done! It’s been a long time coming…  :)

RAMA U80-A in Moon with hotswap PCB and the internal weight. Currently outfitted with Holy GSUS switches (lubed with a thin layer of Tribosys 3204 and fitted with TX switch films), GMK screw-in stabs (clipped, lubed and band-aided) and GMK Oblivion V2. It’s a thicc boiii, weighs in at 4266g or 9.4 pounds.

I didn’t have a lot of time on my hands, so unfortunately no shots of the internals. And my desk was a mess so I took the shots in the living room instead, hence the odd placement. Please excuse the fingerprints.  :rolleyes:

Norbaforce (88UB, BKE Heavy, silenced), Noxary XRF (stock 87UB, 55g) Singa R2 (retooled MX Blacks w/ 68g catweewee springs), LZ GH V2 (V1 Zealios 67g), RAMA U80-A (Holy GSUS)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #6874 on: Sun, 19 July 2020, 13:24:44 »
That is truly beautiful.
"It turns out that for a decade, whenever Trump wanted to get a loan, or make a deal, he would inflate the value of his real estate. For instance, suggesting that his 11,000-square foot penthouse was a 30,000-square foot penthouse.
And the attorney general of New York knew that Trump's property values were inflated because when it came time to pay taxes, Trump undervalued the very same properties.
- Jon Stewart 2024-03-28

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #6875 on: Sun, 19 July 2020, 23:08:42 »
tbf, cream damped are lovely switches (not as good as oranges or salmons, imo, but much more common and better if you wanna stay quiet) - dampers out was something i wanted to try after a friend and I took the dampers out of an AEK we were restoring for her. it's... unique (in a good way!) - i think that comes from the sudden introduction of quite a bit of hollow space where the dampers once were that you wouldn't get on a standard slider

I have a Matias board that has dampened sliders and clicky leaves in it, inspired by an old video from Chyros. I'm still not sure how I feel about it. The sound is nice, but that cushioned bottom out, etc, I'm not so sure about.

Offline JigsawSaint

« Reply #6876 on: Mon, 20 July 2020, 04:24:19 »
Monstargears Ninja71 with NovelKeys Cream switches.
- still having fits with the software, but the board is nice (have had it less than a week (honeymoon phase))

Backup boards:
Durgod Hades 68 with Gateron Yellow switches.
Leopold FC660C

On Order: Switch Couture 60% (WKL). 

With Covid, I'm working from home and enjoying the use of smaller boards (I tend to prefer TKL/87).  The extra space each smaller board saves allows me to work with 3 different systems without actually utilizing a KVM.  (Why use a KVM when you have a lot of boards to play with/enjoy using?, eh?)

Offline econeuler

« Reply #6877 on: Mon, 20 July 2020, 06:10:26 »
Finally done! It’s been a long time coming…  :)

RAMA U80-A in Moon with hotswap PCB and the internal weight. Currently outfitted with Holy GSUS switches (lubed with a thin layer of Tribosys 3204 and fitted with TX switch films), GMK screw-in stabs (clipped, lubed and band-aided) and GMK Oblivion V2. It’s a thicc boiii, weighs in at 4266g or 9.4 pounds.

I didn’t have a lot of time on my hands, so unfortunately no shots of the internals. And my desk was a mess so I took the shots in the living room instead, hence the odd placement. Please excuse the fingerprints.  :rolleyes:

Very nice  :thumb:

I have been thinking of doing a jailhouse mod on these

I am not a Cherry user, personally, but jailhoused blue is a particularly excellent choice, in my opinion.

Ah okay sounds promising :), then I might try it out! Would you lube when doing a jail house mod you think?

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #6878 on: Mon, 20 July 2020, 07:56:26 »

Would you lube when doing a jail house mod you think?

I have never done the mod myself, I have only used them in place.

Leslieann invented the technique, you might ask her.
- Jon Stewart 2024-03-28

Offline econeuler

« Reply #6879 on: Mon, 20 July 2020, 13:56:50 »

Would you lube when doing a jail house mod you think?

I have never done the mod myself, I have only used them in place.

Leslieann invented the technique, you might ask her.

I see! Great, thanks for the info, I'll PM her! :)

Offline Touch_It

« Reply #6880 on: Tue, 21 July 2020, 09:50:55 »
I'm a IBM fanatic, but don't get on my computer at home at all hardly. 

At home I use a Unicomp M with a white keycap set with green text and grey modifiers, black case

At work I use an AEK with salmon alps.  If money were no object I'd like to get a topre hipro and try 45 vs 55g weighting.

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline funkmon

« Reply #6881 on: Wed, 22 July 2020, 04:55:56 »
I'm a IBM fanatic, but don't get on my computer at home at all hardly. 

At home I use a Unicomp M with a white keycap set with green text and grey modifiers, black case

Haha that sounds hideous! Let's see it! I have to see that thing! :D

Offline GreyHexagon

« Reply #6882 on: Sat, 25 July 2020, 08:56:02 »
Here's my current endgame. The Oak Planck.
Already posted on r/mk but I thought I'd show off to you guys. My custom Rev. 4 in it's handmade wooden case. Built with MX Clears which are as yet un-lubed, and Devlin Q-Sieres Pennine caps.
The whole Rev. 4 case is inside the wooden case, so the board wont get damaged from any warpage, but it also improves the sound. It's a heafty beast!

This album shows how the case goes together, and hopefully explains what I mean about the planck case inside the wooden one: https://imgur.com/gallery/h9EVeVH
« Last Edit: Sat, 25 July 2020, 08:58:38 by GreyHexagon »

Offline -Jerry-

• OR '1'='1'
    • Jerry Talks Tech
« Reply #6883 on: Sat, 25 July 2020, 09:04:51 »
That is utterly stunning! I thought at first that the keycaps were just sat on top of the wood until I realised the Planck had been perfectly recessed.
"Romeo"     "Split75"   "Melody96"     "KBD8X MKII"     "Womier K87"

Offline GreyHexagon

« Reply #6884 on: Sat, 25 July 2020, 09:09:43 »
Thanks! I managed to cut the yop lip of the case very close to the caps, and somehow got the depth just about perfect first try. In some places its parhaps a little too close, as one or two of the edge keys sometimes rub but I can easily shave it back a little.

I always thought wooden cases were ether the boring cnc ones or like badly made pine ones, so I wanted to make something I thought actually looked great and celebrated the wood as well as the board.

Offline -Jerry-

• OR '1'='1'
    • Jerry Talks Tech
« Reply #6885 on: Sat, 25 July 2020, 09:13:35 »
Good work getting it so good first try, I imagined you’d already done a lot of shaving bits off, haha.
"Romeo"     "Split75"   "Melody96"     "KBD8X MKII"     "Womier K87"

Offline GreyHexagon

« Reply #6886 on: Sat, 25 July 2020, 09:16:16 »
It's difficult when the wood likes to warp, sometimes you have to just use it for a while and see what happens. good thing is its not hard to take apart and fettle

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #6887 on: Mon, 27 July 2020, 18:03:17 »
It's difficult when the wood likes to warp, sometimes you have to just use it for a while and see what happens. good thing is its not hard to take apart and fettle

Fantastic work on that board, it looks great. The layout may give me recurring nightmares, but it must work just fine for you.

Offline jcoffin1981

« Reply #6888 on: Sun, 02 August 2020, 21:25:17 »
I'm using a Poker backlit keyboard.  I'm not a fan of illuminated keyboards, but when I play poker in a dim room I have to see the numbers readily.
KPB V60 Gateron Browns and Leopold Keycaps.  Poker 3 with Gateron Browns and Poker keycaps.  Poker 3 with Cherry MX Browns, ABS keycaps and white LED's.

Leopold FC660M- my new favorite, right out of the box.

Offline jamster

« Reply #6889 on: Sun, 02 August 2020, 21:55:35 »
Here's my current endgame.

Cool case, but I do have to check- you used that phrase ironically, right?  :)

Offline funkmon

« Reply #6890 on: Mon, 03 August 2020, 23:57:24 »
I'm using a Poker backlit keyboard.  I'm not a fan of illuminated keyboards, but when I play poker in a dim room I have to see the numbers readily.

You play Poker with a Poker? I wonder how many others do that!

Offline husnulhamidiah

« Reply #6891 on: Tue, 04 August 2020, 05:56:49 »
Hand wiring is not that hard for someone who never use soldering iron.

My first ever custom build. Still unfinished but functionality works as expected and serve as my daily driver. Custom 3D printed case, stock kalih box navy (super heavy, tactile, stiff and loud), stock genuine cherry stabs, FC660M keycaps (white) and left over from dead old keyboard (brown).

Offline vexchow

« Reply #6892 on: Wed, 05 August 2020, 14:40:27 »
My own design... Designer Keyboard

Split BLE QMK ergo Keyboard!
https://www.vexc-how-design.com/overview

Offline jamster

« Reply #6893 on: Mon, 17 August 2020, 22:10:50 »
Have to enter a load of dates into an Excel sheet today, so pulled out the '86 Model M for the number pad.

I had forgotten how good Buckling Spring feels. Way better than anything else (and no, I am never going to buy a beam spring board), though 55g Topre is a close second. Typing at speed is so much more comfortable. Pity about the racket though.

Offline jordanchan_

« Reply #6894 on: Wed, 19 August 2020, 15:52:28 »
key 65 with ewhite top, no logo, pc plate, and pc bottom :D

Offline MortalKonga

« Reply #6895 on: Wed, 19 August 2020, 19:12:52 »
My own design... Designer Keyboard
Show Image

Split BLE QMK ergo Keyboard!
https://www.vexc-how-design.com/overview

That's an impressive keyboard. I really like the add-ons for the 3d mouse. (Y)

Offline ddrfraser1

• RIP Neil
« Reply #6896 on: Fri, 21 August 2020, 15:17:47 »
Latest builds. Ducky shine 7 with Hako Clears, NYM96 with blueberries.

250046-0

Offline SpinningHook

• "I can't know how to hear anymore about tables!."
« Reply #6897 on: Fri, 21 August 2020, 21:30:27 »
Currently:

KBDFans Tofu 65 kit with brass plate and DZ65RGB hotswap PCB
GMK Red Samurai
NK Creams, lubed and filmed
Hot Keys Project Hannya Artisan for esc cap
Red Samurai themed SwiftCables aviator cable
"Brevity is the soul of wit."