Author Topic: [IC] GMK STRIKER | LIVE (04/25 - 05/18)  (Read 161587 times)

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
Re: [IC] GMK Samurai Blue
« Reply #250 on: Tue, 22 January 2019, 12:19:12 »
Any thoughts on adding a whole modifier set in the darker blue color? I really think this set would look great with the alphas being the lighter blue & the modifiers being the darker blue. Even having to grab an expensive additional kit to get that look, it would make me more likely to buy into this set. Don't get me wrong though, this is a lovely colorway as is & I can see it easily being a popular set. Just not for me in it's current state. :thumb:

The set will be as barebones as possible, I'm even looking at reducing the kits to just either a base kit and spacebars or just the base kit. Since the base kit has always been with just one color for both alphas and modifiers, I don't really want to change it in any way. Making add-on modifiers packs doesn't work very well with GMK sets.

Hopefully the 40s kit will survive the chopping block despite all odds against it :( think of the future percebe children D;

Unfortunately I am afraid that it won't be like the current one. These kits, even for popular set struggle to reach the 100 units (which is the MOQ)

Offline Korseir

« Reply #251 on: Tue, 22 January 2019, 13:23:01 »
One can only dream then  :(

Offline Acereconkeys

• Happiness = life - expectations
« Reply #252 on: Tue, 22 January 2019, 13:42:05 »
Zambumon you're killing me with all these amazing renders. I neeeeeeeeed this set.
TMO50 | Jane V2 CE Incoming | Realforce 87u 55g | Aergo

Aergo design and build log: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=103681.msg2840918#msg2840918

Offline pcire

« Reply #253 on: Tue, 22 January 2019, 13:55:03 »
Any thoughts on adding a whole modifier set in the darker blue color? I really think this set would look great with the alphas being the lighter blue & the modifiers being the darker blue. Even having to grab an expensive additional kit to get that look, it would make me more likely to buy into this set. Don't get me wrong though, this is a lovely colorway as is & I can see it easily being a popular set. Just not for me in it's current state. :thumb:

The set will be as barebones as possible, I'm even looking at reducing the kits to just either a base kit and spacebars or just the base kit. Since the base kit has always been with just one color for both alphas and modifiers, I don't really want to change it in any way. Making add-on modifiers packs doesn't work very well with GMK sets.

Hopefully the 40s kit will survive the chopping block despite all odds against it :( think of the future percebe children D;

Unfortunately I am afraid that it won't be like the current one. These kits, even for popular set struggle to reach the 100 units (which is the MOQ)

The spacebar kit has to survive! Please! :)

Otherwise... I can't wait!

Offline thearctican

« Reply #254 on: Tue, 22 January 2019, 13:58:17 »

I'll be snagging this one for sure. I don't think 100 will be too tough.

Offline rudeboy

« Reply #255 on: Sun, 27 January 2019, 20:42:59 »
So when's the GB  :D

This set + that japanese flag modifier  :thumb:

Offline megaforce

« Reply #256 on: Sun, 27 January 2019, 20:56:50 »
this will be the only keyset ill play total war shogun with btw
Corsair K63 Wireless | Razer Huntsman Elite
More
Hokusai | Ogre| Yohane | Mc65 | Kaze | RBB
Former: LZ MX | LZ FE | LZ CLS TKL Silver |LZ CLS TKL Gray| LZ St | V.EA | Blackbird | LSV3 | OctagonV2 | Norbatouch | X60 | TX84 | Kyuu | SSK | 268.1| Jane CE | Corsair K95 | X60R | HHKB JP x JS HiPro | 910 CE |Nunu |Nunu FE | Jane V2 CE|Jane V2| RS (TKL)

Offline snelltrail

« Reply #257 on: Sun, 27 January 2019, 21:57:06 »
So when's the GB  :D

This set + that japanese flag modifier  :thumb:

I think Zambumon said May on Instagram.

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #258 on: Mon, 28 January 2019, 06:45:38 »
That's correct

Offline mimalik

« Reply #259 on: Mon, 28 January 2019, 08:27:06 »
Not sure if it has come up before, will it be possible toadd rising sun flag keys in novelties?

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #260 on: Mon, 28 January 2019, 08:54:54 »
Not sure if it has come up before, will it be possible toadd rising sun flag keys in novelties?

Absolutely not. That flag is a symbol of the imperialist Japan. It would be disrespectful with Korean and Chinese enthusiasts.

Offline mimalik

« Reply #261 on: Mon, 28 January 2019, 11:00:27 »

Absolutely not. That flag is a symbol of the imperialist Japan. It would be disrespectful with Korean and Chinese enthusiasts.

Ah, didn't think from that angle, no issues. Thanks.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #262 on: Mon, 28 January 2019, 11:39:34 »

It's actually a bit more complicated than that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japan_Maritime_Self-Defense_Force

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japan_Ground_Self-Defense_Force

It's still in use today by the maritime defense force and a different version is used by the army.

The Taisei Yokusankai (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperial_Rule_Assistance_Association) is more associated with Imperial Japan in WW2.

The feelings on this are complicated and varied but should, of course, be left to the designer to decide.

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #263 on: Mon, 28 January 2019, 12:08:21 »

It's still in use today by the maritime defense force and a different version is used by the army.

The Taisei Yokusankai (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperial_Rule_Assistance_Association) is more associated with Imperial Japan in WW2.

The feelings on this are complicated and varied but should, of course, be left to the designer to decide.

The Self Defense Force was founded after WWII, as Japan technically no longer has an army, and they used the Rising Sun flag as it has always been linked with militar purposes. Since the Japanese football team has little to do with the army, and the negative connotations of this flag, I'm going to stay away from it.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #264 on: Mon, 28 January 2019, 13:39:27 »

The Self Defense Force was founded after WWII, as Japan technically no longer has an army, and they used the Rising Sun flag as it has always been linked with militar purposes. Since the Japanese football team has little to do with the army, and the negative connotations of this flag, I'm going to stay away from it.

Makes sense.  I was just trying to clear up the whole rising sun=swastika bit, especially as this flag predates WWII and WWI by quite a bit.  :thumb:

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #265 on: Mon, 28 January 2019, 15:24:07 »
for the record most japanese people view it as on par with other national imperialist symbols (i know the one you're thinking of) and would probably be upset by its inclusion

zambumon is right to not include it
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline desibidu

« Reply #266 on: Mon, 28 January 2019, 21:54:02 »
Not sure if it was answerd already but when will nemo and percebe be available? Any price estimates for them?
« Last Edit: Mon, 28 January 2019, 21:55:47 by desibidu »

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #267 on: Mon, 28 January 2019, 22:16:10 »
for the record most japanese people view it as on par with other national imperialist symbols (i know the one you're thinking of) and would probably be upset by its inclusion

zambumon is right to not include it

Not to beat a dead horse, but *beat* *beat* it's still used.  And not sure how you can even define "most".

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #268 on: Sun, 03 February 2019, 13:50:29 »
Good news for those down under: Daily Clack will be the Australian proxy for Samurai Blue, with them here is a provisional list of vendors that will host the group buy for GMK Samurai Blue in May:

• Asia: Zfrontier
  • Australia: Daily Clack
  • Europe: Mykeyboard
  • North America: Novelkeys

Offline Owl-

« Reply #269 on: Mon, 04 February 2019, 08:58:04 »
May sounds like a sensible time for this GB, really looking forward to it, and hoping high that 40s kit will still be available!

Offline Korseir

« Reply #270 on: Mon, 04 February 2019, 09:04:08 »
May sounds like a sensible time for this GB, really looking forward to it, and hoping high that 40s kit will still be available!

We must all unite together and make the 40s kit happen!  ;D

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #271 on: Mon, 04 February 2019, 09:36:36 »
I'll be working on this set again in a couple days, after all the Jamón madness calms down. By then, I'll let you guys know first about what I'll do with the kits and whether it's possible or not to offer some kind of 40% kit.

Offline beekey

« Reply #272 on: Mon, 04 February 2019, 09:57:42 »

Would also be interested in the 40s kit.

Offline mwahlig

« Reply #273 on: Mon, 04 February 2019, 10:10:11 »

I am also interested in the 40s kit. Got a planck ready for this set.

Offline Cktenders

« Reply #274 on: Mon, 04 February 2019, 10:29:39 »
Will the 2.25 and 2.75 space bars be updated to the "c" variant like Jamón?

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #275 on: Mon, 04 February 2019, 12:27:43 »
Zamb, do you think that you will run this set on MD or off?  Just curious between this and Nautilus Nightmares.

Offline kolyz

« Reply #276 on: Mon, 04 February 2019, 12:30:26 »
Zamb, do you think that you will run this set on MD or off?  Just curious between this and Nautilus Nightmares.

These are the proxies that he listed earlier:

Asia: Zfrontier
Australia: Daily Clack
Europe: Mykeyboard
North America: Novelkeys

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #277 on: Mon, 04 February 2019, 12:33:20 »
Thanks!  Missed that!  :thumb:

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #278 on: Mon, 04 February 2019, 13:09:00 »

Nautilus Nightmares in Q4 2019 on Massdrop, Samurai Blue in May

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #279 on: Mon, 04 February 2019, 13:16:39 »

Thanks as usual!  :thumb:  I'm having a hard time resisting Jamon.  You're going to get all the money!  ;D

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #280 on: Mon, 04 February 2019, 13:24:59 »

Thanks as usual!  :thumb:  I'm having a hard time resisting Jamon.  You're going to get all the money!  ;D

Fortunately Jamón shouldn't be a huge hit on your wallet, I want to do something similar price wise (not kit wise) with Samurai Blue and keep it was low as possible, I think we should be close to get that balance with some tweaks.

Offline William_S_Jones

• Best Prime Ever!!!
[IC] GMK Samurai Blue
« Reply #281 on: Mon, 04 February 2019, 13:50:02 »

I am also interested in the 40s kit. Got a planck ready for this set.
I concur; especially, a universal 40s kit!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #282 on: Mon, 04 February 2019, 14:47:19 »
What do you guys think about Jamón's 40s and joining two niches  (forties and split keyboards).

Do you guys think that it's important for this set to include accents on the 40s kit? Would you prefer smaller kit with just accent enter and esc or without accents?

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #283 on: Mon, 04 February 2019, 15:26:17 »
What do you guys think about Jamón's 40s and joining two niches  (forties and split keyboards).

Do you guys think that it's important for this set to include accents on the 40s kit? Would you prefer smaller kit with just accent enter and esc or without accents?

In all honesty, though the price is nice, I was disappointed that there were no accents in the base on Jamon.  I don't really do novelties in most cases, but I love accents, so think that they should be included in the base of the set.

Offline beekey

« Reply #284 on: Mon, 04 February 2019, 15:28:11 »

I‘m mostly looking for split space support, but I think Jamons 40s future proofs the set for me. Some interesting 40-50% keyboards start to pop up.

Offline mimalik

« Reply #285 on: Mon, 04 February 2019, 15:38:11 »

I will prefer it.

Offline Rogue_Jellybean

« Reply #286 on: Mon, 04 February 2019, 17:47:37 »
Is there any chance of doing the kits like you did with the Jamon kits? I really liked the accessibility of the Jamon kits, primarily for the splitting up of the base kit, and the 40's kit.

Offline William_S_Jones

• Best Prime Ever!!!
« Reply #287 on: Mon, 04 February 2019, 17:59:38 »

Yes, I do, I’m an avid JD40 user. I’m also looking to add more 40s (45/50) to my stable, & know many others like myself too, so I feel it’s best!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline the_high_5

« Reply #288 on: Mon, 04 February 2019, 18:22:51 »

I am definitely interested in the same 40s kit for this set as well.

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #289 on: Mon, 04 February 2019, 18:43:58 »
Is there any chance of doing the kits like you did with the Jamon kits? I really liked the accessibility of the Jamon kits, primarily for the splitting up of the base kit, and the 40's kit.

That's not really possible for smaller group buys, we'd need to have over 500 Core orders for this strategy to start to work well.

Offline snelltrail

« Reply #290 on: Tue, 05 February 2019, 00:24:35 »

Joining 40s and split seems fine; I think decent number of smaller boards offer split spacebar options anyway, to increase the number of available keys.

That said, I had prepared myself for no 40s kit at all for Samurai Blue, so anything that we do potentially get would be an awesome bonus!

I'm someone who really loves accent enter and esc, and I'd really want them to be included in any 40s kit. I also think that the accented esc and enter belong in the core set, rather than being split off into a novelties kit. Hopefully for this and future kits (Nautilus Nightmares!) that is the case.

Out of interest, approximately how much do accent keys in the 40s kit increase the price by? (If you can say)

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #291 on: Tue, 05 February 2019, 10:14:33 »
Out of interest, approximately how much do accent keys in the 40s kit increase the price by? (If you can say)

I don't have an exact number, but for a kit with a 100 MOQ, it could be $5, or $7. It depends on the size of the keys, and how many you include.

I want to make a parenthesis about the 40s kit and mention that we might have to change the name of the set to avoid any issues with the JFA.

Offline mwahlig

« Reply #292 on: Wed, 06 February 2019, 21:43:16 »

I think Jamon's 40s kit is perfect. Would like to see the same for Samurai Blue including the accents.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #293 on: Wed, 06 February 2019, 21:50:11 »

I think Jamon's 40s kit is perfect. Would like to see the same for Samurai Blue including the accents.

endorsed
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Korseir

« Reply #294 on: Wed, 06 February 2019, 22:17:54 »

endorsed

2nd endorsed and as mentioned above the joining of the split spaces seems to future proof the 40s - 50s keyboards (since the split space bars are more common there)

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #295 on: Thu, 07 February 2019, 10:58:57 »

endorsed

You don't use 40s, so I guess you endorse the second B.

I still need to think about a name...

Offline Rumblehotep

« Reply #296 on: Thu, 07 February 2019, 12:14:04 »
Sorry to hear about the name, are there guidelines concerning intellectual property and inspiration for keysets or is it wholly on a case-by-case basis?

The jersey and keyset put me in mind of the spray in The Great Wave Off Kanagawa
212397-0

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #297 on: Thu, 07 February 2019, 12:19:48 »
Sorry to hear about the name, are there guidelines concerning intellectual property and inspiration for keysets or is it wholly on a case-by-case basis?

The name is registered, the set is OK.

Offline appaboy

« Reply #298 on: Thu, 07 February 2019, 12:40:34 »
Would prefer Latin only legends but otherwise this set is fantastic, love love love the Japan flag keys
PC Singa, MIR80, TX84se, g80-3314, g80-0427, g80-5000 + 5700, G80-3700, g81-3000 HBU (og wob)

HASRO keycaps
OG POM keycaps
SAI OG Italian dyesubs
Scarface Fn blank

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #299 on: Thu, 07 February 2019, 13:47:37 »
Would prefer Latin only legends but otherwise this set is fantastic, love love love the Japan flag keys

I'm not sure if we'll have novelties. I have to think about it.