Author Topic: Trying to build a split rgb keyboard  (Read 2610 times)

Offline mclow85

Trying to build a split rgb keyboard
« on: Thu, 28 June 2018, 17:36:38 »
HI i just made an account because i wanted to build my own split keyboard...
i already did a few led projects with a pi and arduino so soldering is no problem for me...
but there is still a ton of stuff i need to check out... at the moment i dont really know where to start...
i found the keycaps i need... i also found a split keyboard pcp... my biggest problem is the case and the programming....

i was wondering if there are some guys in here selling complete custom boards?

i recently saw the digma raise and really was stunned...
i would love to have something similiar!
it basically should be the same like the digma raise but
-with a frosted case so it also glows on top under the keycaps
-with out the keys under the space keys
-with diffrent keycaps (black keycaps with  frosted labeling opn the sides and a complete frosted top)

anybody knows if there are some split frostet cases out there?
and if not what material is the best to 3d print them ? or else how could i create the case?

i was thinking about a 2cm think acrylic plate, and cnc the inside out``???

maybe anybody has seen some similiar keyboards or know where i should look would be very cool...

thx alot
greetings dave

Offline Findecanor

Re: Trying to build a split rgb keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 15:57:39 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Many cases have been made with layers of laser-cut acrylic. There are many shops that allow you to just upload a design (often in DXF format or SVG) and get the result by mail. Not all have frosted acrylic as an option though.
Many makerspaces have laser cutters as well.
I have also seen frosted non-split keyboards in 60%  form factor — and the simplest option might be to just cut one of those apart and maybe build up interior walls in the seam.

I have not seen that many split PCBs yet that retain a staggered layout. Few DIY keyboards have RGB, except for underglow. You may have to design it yourself.

Split keyboards are often done as either 1) two individual keyboards — and the host OS puts them together, 2) using a I/O expander in one half and a controller in the other, or 3) one main controller and one slave controller.
I suspect that the Digma Raise has the main controller in the box on the Y-cable though with a slave in each keyboard half.

If you did LEDs with Arduino, have you done LED matrices? You may need that for RGB because of the 500 mA current limit on USB requiring you to strobe LEDs so that they are not all lit at once. Commercial keyboards tend to have LED matrix controller chips.

Underglow is often done with a small number of addressable LEDs near the perimeter, spaced about an inch or so apart. The common ones are WS2811 and variants (WS2812, WS2812B, WS2812C, etc) and SK6812RGBW.

Firmwares are often for 8-bit AVR like Arduino but in variations with USB capability built into the microcontroller itself  and accessing the hardware directly, not going through any Arduino library.

Offline mclow85

Re: Trying to build a split rgb keyboard
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 27 July 2018, 15:58:12 »
hi thx for the answer, the last few weeks i was reading alot about keyboards LOL

the idea of cutting a case in halfe is pretty good but the problem is i would like to add more keys ( the 60percent frosted model is very small there are no bigger version with more keys?)

i know a guy who could make me the pcb this would be no problem he would do it for me for a favour...
what should i look for when creating a pcb? besides the layout every key should have a led and also on the bottom there should be a few led for the underglow...

also i dont want two keyboards it should act as one... i perfer the dygma y cable the most... what controller can i use for this? im only familiar with wemos or teensy, ardruino etc..

i havent done led matrices yet but i saw a few tutorials about it... i thought each key has a ws2812 or similiar under the key? what kind of led under the keys???

i wanted to  use ws2812b for the underlgow and the keys... because they also can be controller with the most led software like asus aura or icue from corsair...
i just could add one more wire through the y cable... for the led connectionso i could use the keyboard as a STRIP in icue (corsair software)

im confused about the firmware... how should it acces the "files" if theres i no libary? sorry for the noob question :D

thx alot for the answers... as soon i know a little bit more , and what controller etc i should use... i willl start the pcb :D:D

i hope this wont get too expensive :D:D