Author Topic: [IC] GRADE - R3 SA PBT - SP's Featured Keyset ON SALE NOW  (Read 35031 times)

Offline TheBestUkester

[IC] GRADE - R3 SA PBT - SP's Featured Keyset ON SALE NOW
« on: Fri, 03 February 2017, 10:40:21 »
Check out the splash page

ON SALE NOW

It’s officially official! IT'S HAPPENING

I can’t express how happy I am with how the set has turned out, I hope you all like it as much as I do.

Detail refresher:
  • SA manufactured by Signature Plastics
  • Uniform R3
  • PBT
  • Dye Sub
  • I plan to run other kits in the future (Regional ISO, Ergodox, Colemak, Dvorak, VIM etc) so if you’re on the fence, I’d suggest picking this up now, just in case, but I’ve been told by SP they plan on stocking GRADE like Ice Cap or Industrial.
  • Pricing:
    • Base Kit: $115
    • Num + Media: $35
    • Esc Kit: $17
    • Alt Kit: $54
    • Ortho Kit: $30
    • www.keyset.design for more info!

Album

More

Ok, I got the beta samples in from SP with the original colors. Seeing how scratch prone the GSF is, I can understand why SP doesn't want to produce them. Just too much risk of unsatisfied customers.

More images and commentary/review on IMGUR.

Maybe a private buy for that set in the future, because I think it's gorgeous scratches and all.

Here are the update kits and colors. I added in additional split space bars to the ALT kit, so hopefully that opens this up to more people.

Old colors on the left, new colors on the right. The shift from white to dark is much more spread out and subtle now, and the newer white is much less blue and should match the other keys better than WFJ.

Should be a few weeks to restart production, Summer 2017 or bust! Thanks everyone for your feedback and whatnot, I hope this set makes a bunch of people happy.

Ok guys, quick update, and not necessarily the good kind.

The darkest color (GSF) with the current PBT SA tooling texture basically turns the caps into small chalkboards. For the various test runs, SP's production crew were EXTREMELY careful and took extra time to ensure the keys weren't scratched, but even if the added labor was affordable, the second those keys hit the shipping bags... The set would be completely ruined...

So we are adjusting the coloring a bit, and restarting the overall tooling process. This is going to add a few more weeks onto the production time, but GRADE is coming this summer, one way or the other. I will post up new imagery as soon as I can update it, along with the updated color codes. Below is the cellphone snap SP sent me of the existing (old) colors.

______

When I originally planned GRADE, I included ISO and non-standard keys in with the Base Kit so we could help our brethren and sisters out with MOQ's. However, since this is a Set of the Month, MOQ's aren't a thing. So, Melissa at SP and I decided to break the kits out completely, this should make the whole set even MORE affordable for MORE people, which was the whole point of one set in the first place.

Pricing will break down as follows:

• MANUFACTURING HAS STARTED!
    • 7u Spacebar and ISO Enter:
      • Both will be PBT!!!
      • The ISO Enter key will be blank, SP is unable to print on the curved surface of that cap at the moment. I figured the community would rather have a blank PBT cap vs an ABS cap.
    • Escape kit:
      • We are going to break the escape keys out of the main set, so anyone who purchased Ice Cap or Industrial (or any other R3 set for that matter) can get these.
      • I added an extra red key so people with other sets can enjoy the full spectrum.
      • I also added in a violet cap to both round out the rainbow, and also enable the kit to be used across the FN row.
    • Multiple Colored Kits:
      • There have been a few requests for something along the lines of colored mods, or arrow keys. We are holding off on these for now.
    • Ortho Kit:
      • ITS HAPPENING
    • Colors:
      • A few people have asked about changing some of the colors. IRL these are going to align just fine. Part of the issue is how the renders look vs reality, and the translucency of some of the other colors people have recommended. The chosen colors are opaque, and shouldn’t allow much if any light bleed.
    • Homing Keys:
      • F and J will be dished homing keys.
    • Pricing:
      • I have the initial pricing in, just waiting for permission to share. Very similar structure to other SA PBT sets.

That's it for now. Please subscribe to Signature Plastic's newsletter to get updated ASAP when the set is available, or keep an eye out here.

Details:

• SA
    • PBT
    • Dye Sub
    • R3
    • Available as Signature Plastic's Keyset of the Month for March 2017

Renders by /u/oblotzky

Color chips:

Please let me know if you see something that should be fixed or adjusted (including random typos). Thanks guys! I am very excited to simply just get my hands on it.

If you are interested, I'd appreciate a bit of support spreading the word, here's some banner code:

Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=87428.0][img width=307 height=120]http://i.imgur.com/snzjNP3.jpg[/img][/url]
« Last Edit: Wed, 28 June 2017, 11:38:07 by TheBestUkester »

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
Wow, this came out of left field!   I would say the escape pack will be a huge hit.  Also, I love the granite mod icons on SA.  I'm not a big fan of gradient sets, unfortunately :(  But I'm sure it will be popular.  Nice work.

I wish SP would just do the following (and maybe some day they will):

For all but planck/ergodox (which could offer similar to below), step you through this process.  Maybe even include an online builder like WASD (I could create this for them, btw)
-Step 1: Choose your keycap profile (choose between DSA, G20, DCS, or SA)
-Step 2: Choose a color for alphas (revisit default colors and offer something close to GMK pallet with some brighter accent colors and darker colors)
-Step 3: Choose a color for modifiers
-Step 4: Choose between icons or text for modifiers
-Step 5: Addons (offer split shift compatibilty pack, TKL pack, and number pad pack)

Offline TheBestUkester

Wow, this came out of left field!   I would say the escape pack will be a huge hit.  Also, I love the granite mod icons on SA.  I'm not a big fan of gradient sets, unfortunately :(  But I'm sure it will be popular.  Nice work.

Thanks man!

I wish SP would just do the following (and maybe some day they will):

For all but planck/ergodox (which could offer similar to below), step you through this process.  Maybe even include an online builder like WASD (I could create this for them, btw)
-Step 1: Choose your keycap profile (choose between DSA, G20, DCS, or SA)
-Step 2: Choose a color for alphas (revisit default colors and offer something close to GMK pallet with some brighter accent colors and darker colors)
-Step 3: Choose a color for modifiers
-Step 4: Choose between icons or text for modifiers
-Step 5: Addons (offer split shift compatibilty pack, TKL pack, and number pad pack)

That would be rad, but I just don't see that happening from SP anytime in the near future... I just don't think their back end can support this type of front end, nor would it be very financially viable for them... Just my guess though.

Offline zslane

There is one small bit of misleading text in the description:

PBT doesn't wear down as fast, the molecular makeup makes it typically sound more "thocky" and less "clicky", and the texture is more pronounced.

The texture of any SP keycap comes from a separate step that adds the desired texture. So far, all of SP's PBT SA keycaps have been given their standard semigloss finish which makes them look and feel identical to their ABS SA keycaps with (the same) semigloss finish. In other words, the type of plastic involved makes no difference here.

GRADE will, I assume, have the same semigloss finish as Ice Cap, Industrial, and all of their previous ABS SA keycap sets. Which means their texture will not be more pronounced than any of SP's other SA keycaps.

Offline TheBestUkester

PBT doesn't wear down as fast, the molecular makeup makes it typically sound more "thocky" and less "clicky", and the texture is more pronounced.

The texture of any SP keycap comes from a separate step that adds the desired texture. So far, all of SP's PBT SA keycaps have been given their standard semigloss finish which makes them look and feel identical to their ABS SA keycaps with (the same) semigloss finish. In other words, the type of plastic involved makes no difference here.

GRADE will, I assume, have the same semigloss finish as Ice Cap, Industrial, and all of their previous ABS SA keycap sets. Which means their texture will not be more pronounced than any of SP's other SA keycaps.

Hm. I noticed a difference (not very stark) but a notable difference between ABS and PBT SA sets. To me, it's even visible in images of different sets? Am I wrong?

Offline zslane

I have Ice Cap, Industrial, PuLsE, Round 4 SPH, and three Round 6 sets, and they all have the same semigloss finish. They are indistinguishable from each other in terms of texture, apart from the tendency of ABS to become more glossy over time.

Which sets are you comparing? Are you by any chance comparing a brand new PBT SA set against an older ABS SA set that has worn down and become shiney?

Offline Slash Emperor

• Lust for life lost, keyboards acquired.

Wasn't 23 Commando an exception, with a matte finish?

Offline MandrewDavis

• Chasin' That Neon Rainbow

Wasn't 23 Commando an exception, with a matte finish?
Amazing Chocolate was also done in a matte semi-matte finish.

Per SP's spec sheet

SURFACE OPTIONS:
S - SEMI-MATTE TOP AND SIDES
G - GLOSS TOP AND SIDES
M - MATTE TOP, SEMI-MATTE SIDES

« Last Edit: Fri, 03 February 2017, 14:32:38 by MandrewDavis »
I've come to view humanity as predominantly monkey business.

My Classifieds Thread

Offline zslane

The Amazing Chocolatier was "semi-matte" which I've been referring to as semigloss because that is what is looks and feels like (i.e., more glossy than matte). This is in contrast to most PBT keycaps which are in a matte finish which yields a rough texture that has the feel of soft pumice.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
Just realized I forgot to compliment you on the standalone site.  It looks really nice!   :thumb:

Offline Slash Emperor

• Lust for life lost, keyboards acquired.
The Amazing Chocolatier was "semi-matte" which I've been referring to as semigloss because that is what is looks and feels like (i.e., more glossy than matte). This is in contrast to most PBT keycaps which are in a matte finish which yields a rough texture that has the feel of soft pumice.

Ah, okay.

Also, found this, which states that it is M for the top: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=45655.msg955862#msg955862

Offline TheBestUkester

I have Ice Cap, Industrial, PuLsE, Round 4 SPH, and three Round 6 sets, and they all have the same semigloss finish. They are indistinguishable from each other in terms of texture, apart from the tendency of ABS to become more glossy over time.

Which sets are you comparing? Are you by any chance comparing a brand new PBT SA set against an older ABS SA set that has worn down and become shiney?

I think you're right, old ABS sets to new PBT sets. I'll update my language, that makes much more sense.

Just realized I forgot to compliment you on the standalone site.  It looks really nice!   :thumb:

Thanks! I am no webdev, but I had some fun with Wordpress and Photoshop.

Offline zslane

Yeah, Commando 23 is a very rare bird. The caps have the same look and feel as Dolch DSA. Interestingly, SP's matte finish on ABS does not look and feel like their matte finish on PBT. It is considerably rougher on ABS than PBT.

It would be very interesting to see/feel what their matte finish would be like on a set of these PBT SA keycaps. So far we've only seen semigloss ("semi-matte").

Offline simonyunhe

Maybe this will help!
KeyBs:|RS96-Brown|GS-87-White|DIYer60-Red|VA68M-Brown|GS-ALT71-Blue|IKBC-108-Black|
KeyCs:|SA Carbon R1+2|SA Camping|SA Amazing Chocolatier|SA Commando 88 Ghost|SA Hyperfuse|SA Penumbra|SA Doom|SA Creamy Orange|SA Ocean Dolch|SA Lotus*72|SA Trouble Minds R2|DSA Granite|GMK TA|GMK Soware|XDA Mailstone|GM Ember|

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
Instead of just linking to an external website, which then leads to a reddit post, can you make this a proper IC and list all the pertinent info in the OP? 

Otherwise it seems that all you are doing is hyping a keyset with little to no user input from this community, completely negating a need for an Interest Check.

Offline TheBestUkester

Instead of just linking to an external website, which then leads to a reddit post, can you make this a proper IC and list all the pertinent info in the OP? 

Otherwise it seems that all you are doing is hyping a keyset with little to no user input from this community, completely negating a need for an Interest Check.

Makes sense, I'll update the OP.

As you can tell, I don't post here often... My bad!

Offline CapnHighlands

I was literally planning on making a monochrome build. Too bad I just recently discovered I prefer DSA to R3 SA. Looks great, though!

Offline Seelen

Wow, I really love this set! Very subtle, but with a "pop" to it...I love super-white keys and high contrast. Great job with the escape key! I can't say I'm a big fan of icon mods, but given that there isn't going to be a choice, that's just something I'll have to accept.

Not too sure how I feel about R3 SA, but I haven't actually used it before...I already have a DSA set and a couple of sculpted ABS SA on the way, so if nothing else, at least I'll have tried every type to know for sure what I prefer!

I'm a big fan of the feeling of PBT, and there don't seem to be many SA sets that use it, so I'll happy pick this up.

I agree this isn't really an "interest check" per second, but I can tell you that, personally, I also use IC as a "release calendar" of sorts, so I can see the kinds of sets that are on the horizon...So in that respect, I'm glad to have seen it here as I wouldn't have otherwise known.

You know, there is one frustrating quality to PBT that I've started to notice...I type extremely quickly, and with PBT, the material is actually hard enough to chip my nail polish when I'm really going at it...I'm wondering if that might not be as bad with a sculpted set, but unfortunately with PBT they pretty much all seem to be uniform (do they even have sculpted molds for PBT anywhere?)

Offline zslane

Signature Plastics does not yet have the ability to produce sculptured dye-sub SA sets. But they're working on it.

Note that regardless of whether or not this set chooses to go with a matte finish, any Escape kit meant to be compatible with Ice Cap or Industrial would need to be semigloss in order to match the finish of those kits.

Offline Niomosy

I would imagine sculptured dyesub SA sets are in SPs best interests given the popularity of SA.

As for the kit, those Escape keys are nice. 

Offline DannyHuynh

This is one true wisdom! The texture matters not, it is predetermined by the manufacturing process, not by the material. It just that for ABS, the material wears out much faster than PBT. Out of all SA caps, the only set with matte texture is the SA Commando, it's also the only one set that comes with glossy surface caps, which are the lotus keys, all other sets semi-gloss/semi-matte (half empty/half full).
One thing for Ice Cap, I actually notice some of the more frequently used keys are a little bit shinier than other less used keys, so I also think that PBT caps with more rough surface will retain their texture better.

Offline lifestronaut

This is mine!

Done.

I love the black to white gradient, was going to make WASD do me one.

This is so much better than that, I love you, this is my favourite 6th of February ever.

Offline TheBestUkester

Thanks for the ideas and support everyone, I am reaching out to SP about the set again today, and I will follow up!

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
  • I have ideas. Sometimes they're even good ideas.
    • Donut Cables
Seems pretty nice. Not exactly my style, but I can appreciate the Escape kit and the 65%/75% compatibility. Plus getting an SA set out of SP while they're super backlogged ought to tide over the SA fans.

Offline Cods

• Penumbra SA Mark II please?
Usually not a fan of gradient sets, but this is pretty nice. Well done mate.
Model M Industrial, SSK, Unicomp 104, Code TKL MX Green, FC660M MX Green + Clear + White + Grey, FC660C Topre 45g, MagicForce 68 USB and Bluetooth, Whitefox, some optical switch 65% Bluetooth split spacebar thing ... wait, I think I need an intervention. Too late, there’s a couple of new Model Fs on the way.
Too much SA is never enough.

Offline TheBestUkester

Re: [IC] GRADE - SP's Keyset of the Month for March 2017 UPDATE + GIVEAWAY
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 10 February 2017, 10:45:26 »
Updated the OP with more info from Signature Plastics and added a Survey + Giveaway!

Thanks everyone!

Offline RELLIK

• WTB Bro Power Core WASD Set...Still...
Re: [IC] GRADE - SP's Keyset of the Month for March 2017 UPDATE + GIVEAWAY
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 10 February 2017, 18:15:38 »
Looking forward to seeing this on somebody's matching gradient case   :thumb:

KUL-87        FC660M       Filco MJ2

Offline TheBestUkester

Re: [IC] GRADE - SP's Keyset of the Month for March 2017 UPDATE 2/13
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 13 February 2017, 10:30:15 »
Updated the OP with current KLE renders, added a few keys based on feedback. And announced the winners!

Offline pace8500

« Reply #28 on: Mon, 13 February 2017, 10:55:17 »
Updated the OP with current KLE renders, added a few keys based on feedback. And announced the winners!

Any chance of an FN key for those who have a split right shift?

Offline TheBestUkester

« Reply #29 on: Tue, 14 February 2017, 10:37:18 »
There's a blank in there for it, just in case!

Offline MungFuSensei

« Reply #30 on: Sat, 25 February 2017, 11:29:42 »
Any word on release date/final pricing?

Offline CMYK

« Reply #31 on: Sat, 25 February 2017, 11:37:28 »
I wonder how the set would look if you replaced the asdf row with the color gradient escape keys?

Offline pomodoro

« Reply #32 on: Thu, 02 March 2017, 10:22:24 »
First of all, thanks for this awesome design.
Do you have any more info on the release date? Given the very low number of readily available SA sets, I'd hate myself if I missed this one. Are you in a position to tell us when we can expect the sale to go live on PMK?

Offline TheBestUkester

« Reply #33 on: Thu, 02 March 2017, 10:32:17 »
Any word on release date/final pricing?

First of all, thanks for this awesome design.
Do you have any more info on the release date? Given the very low number of readily available SA sets, I'd hate myself if I missed this one. Are you in a position to tell us when we can expect the sale to go live on PMK?

End of March, I have basic pricing but I'm just waiting on confirmation to publish that info.

I am hoping to get the first sample batch in the next two weeks or so.

Offline pomodoro

« Reply #34 on: Thu, 02 March 2017, 10:53:44 »
End of March, I have basic pricing but I'm just waiting on confirmation to publish that info.

I am hoping to get the first sample batch in the next two weeks or so.

Awesome, looking forward to seeing what the samples look like, thanks for the quick answer!

Offline TheBestUkester

Re: [IC] GRADE - SP's Keyset of the Month for March 2017 UPDATED 3/2
« Reply #35 on: Thu, 02 March 2017, 11:25:48 »
Just updated the OP with new information from Signature Plastics!

Getting really really close!

Offline TheBestUkester

Just got the a-ok to share the final pricing!

I know I am hyped out of my mind to finally get my hands on a set, and honestly at this point; I don't care if anyone else is.  ;D

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
Thanks for updates!  I was really hoping for a <$100 price point, but it is what it is.

Offline Marvellion

I can finally get caps for my 22 key numpad, and in SA profile too, thanks!

Offline MungFuSensei

Put two 1u white blanks in with the ortho kit. Grid layout is a thing that exists, and also Let's Split users. Would be kinda ****ty to have to buy the entire alternate kit just for some blanks. Or a blank pack, for that matter.

Offline hansichen

Put two 1u white blanks in with the ortho kit. Grid layout is a thing that exists, and also Let's Split users. Would be kinda ****ty to have to buy the entire alternate kit just for some blanks. Or a blank pack, for that matter.

Every planck need the alt kit. This is probably the worst ortho kit I have ever seen ^^

Offline TheBestUkester

Oh good point! The Ortho Kit was made when the Alt kit was still included with the Base. I'll see if I can update it with SP

Offline TheBestUkester

Maybe something more along these lines to really open up more options?

Offline MungFuSensei

Show Image

That'd be pretty smart, but you might wanna add that r1 1u backspace key for preonic users. That's just if you want the kit to be completionist. I'm kind of attracted to the kit because you can have a full ortholinear kit with icons.

Offline hansichen

Show Image

The 4 left bottom row 1u keycaps (ctrl, win, alt) are still missing, aren't they?
« Last Edit: Fri, 03 March 2017, 14:38:09 by hansichen »

Offline TheBestUkester

Show Image

The 4 left 1u keycaps (ctrl, win, alt) are still missing, aren't they?

Damn, man I am OFF today. Updating!

Hows this look (Star legend will be the "menu" icon as pictured in OP, and "lower" will be flipped):

« Last Edit: Fri, 03 March 2017, 14:45:34 by TheBestUkester »

Offline MungFuSensei

Show Image

The 4 left 1u keycaps (ctrl, win, alt) are still missing, aren't they?

Damn, man I am OFF today. Updating!

Hows this look (Star legend will be the "menu" icon as pictured in OP, and "lower" will be flipped):

Show Image

That covers it.

Offline TheBestUkester

Updated the OP with the new Ortho Kit pricing!

I think I am going to make a Group Buy thread now? Not really sure where to put this?

Offline mintyfruits

I'm very excited for this to release. At first I didn't really like it, but as I looked more it's minimal design really grew on me. Keeping a careful eye out for release ;D

Offline TheBestUkester

I'm very excited for this to release. At first I didn't really like it, but as I looked more it's minimal design really grew on me. Keeping a careful eye out for release ;D

Thanks! I will be posting pictures as soon as I get samples in!