Author Topic: [IC] GMK Necro | GB Open Now!!  (Read 101828 times)

Offline Vigrith

Re: [IC] GMK Necro
« Reply #100 on: Tue, 18 July 2017, 21:13:25 »
well, if gmk doesn't have glow in the dark capability you should either put pressure on them to figure it out or start looking elsewhere.  i think "borealis" had glow in the dark capability.  (although i don't think they thought it through entirely and there was a technicality that made it a rather weak glow. and i have no idea if that was gmk or someone else.) nonetheless i'll buy it either way, but if it glows in the dark, this would set a whole new standard.  just saying

Woah woah let's relax a second - firstly Borealis was a DSA set so made my Signature Plastics which has nothing to do with GMK, secondly if GMK can't/won't do glow in the dark then they won't do glow in the dark - you can't just "put pressure on them" or "start looking elsewhere", no one else offers the exact same product GMK does, there's nowhere else to look. Do you think one person with one set can successfully pressure a company the size of GMK who's working on 10 or 20 or 50 other sets between now and Necro becoming a reality?

Not to mention Jessica already has experience working with them, switching this over to SP (whose queue is mahoosive and who work with completely different profiles) DSA would piss a lot of people off for little to any return. The percentage of people that care about GID is infinitesimal compared to those who just love GMK and the work they do, it'd be shooting yourself in the foot.

That said, GID might be a cool novelty if GMK can accommodate the request - nothing wrong with asking, maybe they'd be willing to collaborate without the need to apply "pressure".

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #101 on: Tue, 18 July 2017, 21:52:52 »
Just Say No.

to GID.
keyboards.

Offline Cotay

« Reply #102 on: Wed, 19 July 2017, 11:23:30 »
well, if gmk doesn't have glow in the dark capability you should either put pressure on them to figure it out or start looking elsewhere.  i think "borealis" had glow in the dark capability.  (although i don't think they thought it through entirely and there was a technicality that made it a rather weak glow. and i have no idea if that was gmk or someone else.) nonetheless i'll buy it either way, but if it glows in the dark, this would set a whole new standard.  just saying

Woah woah let's relax a second - firstly Borealis was a DSA set so made my Signature Plastics which has nothing to do with GMK, secondly if GMK can't/won't do glow in the dark then they won't do glow in the dark - you can't just "put pressure on them" or "start looking elsewhere", no one else offers the exact same product GMK does, there's nowhere else to look. Do you think one person with one set can successfully pressure a company the size of GMK who's working on 10 or 20 or 50 other sets between now and Necro becoming a reality?

Not to mention Jessica already has experience working with them, switching this over to SP (whose queue is mahoosive and who work with completely different profiles) DSA would piss a lot of people off for little to any return. The percentage of people that care about GID is infinitesimal compared to those who just love GMK and the work they do, it'd be shooting yourself in the foot.

That said, GID might be a cool novelty if GMK can accommodate the request - nothing wrong with asking, maybe they'd be willing to collaborate without the need to apply "pressure".

Agreed. This needs to be GMK regardless of whether or not they could do GID.

Offline Auk

« Reply #103 on: Wed, 19 July 2017, 11:47:25 »
Glow in the Dark shouldn't be a problem, it just requires the raw material to be loaded with luminous material. Just search for phosphorescent ABS pellets to see examples.

I think the more important questions are: Can the color be controlled enough to satisfy the designer's vision? Without looking tacky? Would GID keycaps have the same longevity as regular ones? Will they feel the same?

This could work, but maybe the final article would be better suited to some novelties rather than a full keyset. If it works well and does not look tacky, then you will have something unique.

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #104 on: Wed, 19 July 2017, 11:58:33 »
The more important question is why the hell you want glow in the dark keycaps
keyboards.

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #105 on: Wed, 19 July 2017, 12:30:31 »
The more important question is why the hell you want glow in the dark keycaps

Not necessarily a bad thing in my opinion, I think if the alphas could be made GID it may give the board a cool effect; if it can be done properly without looking tacky as Auk said and not losing the feel/look/quality/etc then I don't think it's a terrible idea - thing is you can't just turn off GID like you would LEDs etc if you don't like the look, it'd be a tough call to make whether or not to include something like that as the designer.

Offline lecorsair

« Reply #106 on: Wed, 19 July 2017, 12:37:09 »
Perhaps have a second novelties GID set with its own MOQ, for those that wants it. As Vig says, unlike LED it can't be turned off.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #107 on: Wed, 19 July 2017, 16:25:46 »
I've changed my vote- Just do what you like and what's easiest.  Everyone has their own biases, and it will do well, I'm sure, no matter where you run it.  So just reduce your stress and go with what feels best.

Offline badchad

« Reply #108 on: Wed, 19 July 2017, 21:57:58 »
Man GID would be awesome. Either way i want this set

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BAD

Offline ns90

« Reply #109 on: Wed, 19 July 2017, 22:53:39 »
I was a bit uncertain when I first saw it, but the more I look at it, the more I like it.

Offline jessica

• Formerly CuteDreamsOfYou & Brazzers
  • HHKB is the only good layout
« Reply #110 on: Fri, 21 July 2017, 03:20:43 »
I was a bit uncertain when I first saw it, but the more I look at it, the more I like it.
that's kinda my thing

Offline Sissy

« Reply #111 on: Fri, 21 July 2017, 05:32:51 »
that's kinda my thing
Plum sure had that affect on me, even now I have it in hand I'm amazed how it turned out

Offline Petch

« Reply #112 on: Fri, 21 July 2017, 07:03:31 »
Is adding 1.25u fn possible?

Offline robotsokk

« Reply #113 on: Fri, 21 July 2017, 11:05:27 »
Chiming in a bit late, but:

- Regarding GID, I think this set would still be great without it (without GID would be my pref). I don't see the harm in asking if it's not too much trouble (could be useful info to file away for future GBs). If this set were to offer GID, either doing it as the legends or a few novelties as someone suggested would be best IMO. Could look a bit weird just having glowing alphas and completely dark mods when typing in very low light.

- Regarding where to run the GB, I've had nothing but great experiences with both MD and Originative Co. So I'd be good with either. MD does have the bonus of a wider audience, and so lower potential price. But a $10-20 difference wouldn't deter me (admittedly, I'm in the US, so fewer import related fees/taxes on top of the sales price for me). All that said, I'd be completely on board with a smaller shop that makes it less burdensome for non-US folks to join (as long as it doesn't make the GB a lot more complex -- no fun for anyone if the GB runner gets burned out).

Cheers.

@home      @work Swapping out boards... coming soon     wtb

Offline jessica

« Reply #114 on: Fri, 21 July 2017, 13:03:18 »
Is adding 1.25u fn possible?
It will be included, yah :)

Offline ns90

« Reply #115 on: Fri, 21 July 2017, 18:28:16 »
that's kinda my thing

It's a good thing. :thumb:

Offline harlw

« Reply #116 on: Sat, 22 July 2017, 22:44:24 »
Looks great!

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Ergodox (x2), V.EA Clone, Tada68, Atreus XL, Planck, Model M 70% Mod

Offline jessica

Re: [IC] Jessica's GMK Necro
« Reply #117 on: Mon, 24 July 2017, 20:33:44 »
Talked with my guy at MD very briefly the other day, he's travelling right now but once he gets back to the office him and I will discuss this set's potential on Massdrop.
Once that gets the go-ahead, I'm gonna talk with thesis about getting some new renders done to properly reflect the set's colours. As much as I love the pistachio renders, it's a bit vibrant for what I want this set to be like IRL. Again, take renders with a grain of salt because everyone's monitors are different, though I have had mine professionally calibrated so I have the best chance of making sure this set looks perfect :)

Let me know what you guys think.

P.S., I have not ruled out other options for running this set, but a lot of people do seem to support Massdrop, they have treated me well in the past, and deliver reliably. I'm just going about this right now because MD is a bit slower going than say, Originative, to get a buy established.

« Last Edit: Tue, 25 July 2017, 11:37:14 by Brazzers »

Offline robotsokk

« Reply #118 on: Mon, 24 July 2017, 21:26:43 »
Talked with my guy at MD very briefly the other day, he's travelling right now but once he gets back to the office him and I will discuss this set's potential on Massdrop.
Once that gets the go-ahead, I'm gonna talk with thesis about getting some new renders done to properly reflect the set's colours. As much as I love the pistachio renders, it's a bit vibrant for what I want this set to be like IRL. Again, take renders with a grain of salt because everyone's monitors are different, though I have had mine professionally calibrated so I have the best chance of making sure this set looks perfect :)

Let me know what you guys think.

P.S., I have no ruled out other options for running this set, but a lot of people do seem to support Massdrop, they have treated me well in the past, and deliver reliably. I'm just going about this right now because MD is a bit slower going than say, Originative, to get a buy established.

Cool beans. Thanks for the update!

Offline bthezebra

« Reply #119 on: Tue, 25 July 2017, 00:34:13 »
Looking forward to this Jessica and share the sentiment that the set has grown on me as well. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Offline jessica

« Reply #120 on: Tue, 25 July 2017, 11:36:39 »
Oops. My b

Offline jessica

« Reply #121 on: Sat, 19 August 2017, 03:39:26 »
Updated renders by the lovely Thesis.
Also, I'm heavily considering making this set be Icon-Only mods, so let me know what your thoughts are on it please!
So, opinions on Icon vs Standard mod legends, and thoughts on the revised colours :)

Old

New

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #122 on: Sat, 19 August 2017, 06:09:01 »
New render looks way better as expected! Full icon mods for me, think they'd fit the theme well.

Offline LDobler

« Reply #123 on: Sat, 19 August 2017, 06:12:31 »
Icon mods plssss :)

« Reply #124 on: Sat, 19 August 2017, 07:47:52 »
I'm all about icon mods!

I miss the pistachio though. The pistachio/green was what tied the whole theme together for me. Cyan/purple mods doesn't scream rotting flesh the way that green did and I liked the original darker mods a lot as well. Also, with the new mods it looks really similar to GMK Muted with the cyan/purple addon kit. I've gone from 100% in to a 60%-70% but it is your set and I'm just one guy so do as you see fit! :)

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #125 on: Sat, 19 August 2017, 08:22:14 »
I'm all about icon mods!

I miss the pistachio though. The pistachio/green was what tied the whole theme together for me. Cyan/purple mods doesn't scream rotting flesh the way that green did and I liked the original darker mods a lot as well. Also, with the new mods it looks really similar to GMK Muted with the cyan/purple addon kit. I've gone from 100% in to a 60%-70% but it is your set and I'm just one guy so do as you see fit! :)

I agree with a lot of this, though I like both versions of the modifiers. But I definitely prefer the original alphas with the green tint.

Offline graefeln

« Reply #126 on: Sat, 19 August 2017, 08:43:59 »
I like the idea of icon mods, but it wouldn't really affect my decision either way. The new renders however, make me think I won't be buying. I really like the original render's alphas, the new ones not so much... mods could go either way.

Offline KeLorean

« Reply #127 on: Sat, 19 August 2017, 09:12:26 »
old render looks better to me.

Click it OR Ticket!

Offline robotsokk

« Reply #128 on: Sat, 19 August 2017, 09:46:30 »
Icon mods vs. text w/icons:
I'm usually not the biggest fan of icon mods, but I think they would look really good with this set. So, icon mods have my vote.

Regarding the colors:
I'm not yet 100% sure which I like more  :-\

I like how, in the second render, everything is a bit paler (the green is less saturated, the grey is paler/touch bluish), so it's more of a necro vibe for me. Almost like I could imagine a pruned, waterlogged undead creature with that whole color scheme going on  :p However, that green in the first render is lovely.

This is a really rough GIMP job, but I took a stab at mixing the old render's green with the new render's mods:
More

Hint: I did this for the numpad (I missed a small spot at the bottom-left of the 1-key, though).

Offline LDobler

« Reply #129 on: Sat, 19 August 2017, 09:48:45 »
Old render > new render

Offline bthezebra

« Reply #130 on: Sat, 19 August 2017, 11:05:45 »
Yeah old definitely looks better

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Offline pikku-allu

• IG: @kinnalek
« Reply #131 on: Sat, 19 August 2017, 11:40:55 »
New render looks much better, the shades go really well together. People who think the old one looks better must have bad taste.

Offline KeLorean

« Reply #132 on: Sat, 19 August 2017, 12:36:14 »
i really think the new render is getting away from the original theme: undead/halloween/alien/nuclear slime.  the new render is fine for a "safe/crowd pleasing" keyset, but IMO the old render was something unique, classy, and fun all at the same time.  yes, i've given up on pushing the whole GID thing, but now it isn't even neon anymore. sorry but i'm calling this out: boring!
Click it OR Ticket!

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #133 on: Sat, 19 August 2017, 12:38:21 »
i really liked that translucent/fluorescent yellow/green on the alphas. hope GMK can work out a nice sample for that. imo, without that base yellow/green i think the set looks a bit dull... jus my 2 cents

Offline forevermadrigal

« Reply #134 on: Sat, 19 August 2017, 13:34:06 »
i really think the new render is getting away from the original theme: undead/halloween/alien/nuclear slime.  the new render is fine for a "safe/crowd pleasing" keyset, but IMO the old render was something unique, classy, and fun all at the same time.  yes, i've given up on pushing the whole GID thing, but now it isn't even neon anymore. sorry but i'm calling this out: boring!

I don't understand how you get safe/crowd pleasing from a render.

Offline KeLorean

« Reply #135 on: Sat, 19 August 2017, 13:46:41 »

well, the more vibrant the color the more u push away the "office space" keyboardist. if u listen to enthusiasts some are not into the vibrant colorways like skeletor, tai hoa miami, 1976, etc. they think it looks tacky and too much like toy keyboards. the subdued, blended, sophisticated look is what they are interested in, like MITO's canvas, chocolatier, dolch, etc

Click it OR Ticket!

Offline forevermadrigal

« Reply #136 on: Sat, 19 August 2017, 13:52:10 »

well, the more vibrant the color the more u push away the "office space" keyboardist. if u listen to enthusiasts some are not into the vibrant colorways like skeletor, tai hoa miami, 1976, etc. they think it looks tacky and too much like toy keyboards. the subdued, blended, sophisticated look is what they are interested in, like MITO's canvas, chocolatier, dolch, etc

Uh, I don't think that's why people make keysets. People will buy what they like. I think it's already clear that a lot of these makers don't care about what everyone thinks and do as they please.

Offline KeLorean

« Reply #137 on: Sat, 19 August 2017, 13:58:27 »

Uh, I don't think that's why people make keysets. People will buy what they like. I think it's already clear that a lot of these makers don't care about what everyone thinks and do as they please.
i guess i can see how u think thats what i meant BUT i dont assume what is going on in jessica or any other designer's head. and sure there are designers who would much rather please their fans than make a crap set that they only like. i think ur the one generalizing. but who cares. that wasnt even my point.

Click it OR Ticket!

Offline forevermadrigal

« Reply #138 on: Sat, 19 August 2017, 14:04:40 »

i guess i can see how u think thats what i meant BUT i dont assume what is going on in jessica or any other designer's head. and sure there are designers who would much rather please their fans than make a crap set that they only like. i think ur the one generalizing. but who cares. that wasnt even my point.

Idk about that, it's pretty apparent that people make what they like in this hobby, but I guess it could be possible.

Offline KeLorean

« Reply #139 on: Sat, 19 August 2017, 14:19:05 »

Idk about that, it's pretty apparent that people make what they like in this hobby, but I guess it could be possible.

so...do u like the new render or the old render?
Click it OR Ticket!

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #140 on: Sat, 19 August 2017, 15:09:21 »
New render is way better.  The old one looks like a set I'd expect to see, N9-mod set #4132 (this time with green mint alphas to complement the hyperfuse mods).  But the new look is actually unique; there really aren't many pale colorways that aren't just a variant of the standard "light grey with dark text" look.

I completely, wholeheartedly disagree with that.  The new render is 1000x more zombie/undead looking.  And the old render is more like the type of eye-popping contrast set we see ICs for all the time.  The only time we don't get such sets they're either some light grey/dark grey combination or X-on-black. 
« Last Edit: Sat, 19 August 2017, 15:11:34 by a_ak57 »

Offline KeLorean

« Reply #141 on: Sat, 19 August 2017, 15:19:22 »
New render is way better.  The old one looks like a set I'd expect to see, N9-mod set #4132 (this time with green mint alphas to complement the hyperfuse mods).  But the new look is actually unique; there really aren't many pale colorways that aren't just a variant of the standard "light grey with dark text" look.

I completely, wholeheartedly disagree with that.  The new render is 1000x more zombie/undead looking.  And the old render is more like the type of eye-popping contrast set we see ICs for all the time.  The only time we don't get such sets they're either some light grey/dark grey combination or X-on-black.
thats cool, and i like the pale colorways too, BUT the neon green/yellow alpas in the old render look amazing. infact, i think it matches the theme image more

Click it OR Ticket!

Offline feraphic

« Reply #142 on: Sat, 19 August 2017, 16:35:51 »
I prefer the new render much more and I'm not a fan of icon mods.

Offline Arcsxum

« Reply #143 on: Sat, 19 August 2017, 16:48:03 »
I need this set in my life  :-X :-X :-X

Offline ygor

• eat a butt, monkey lord
« Reply #144 on: Sat, 19 August 2017, 16:55:49 »
Just chiming in to say the new render looks really good. Nice work, Brazzy! Very much undead, rotting stink flesh, etc....

I generally hate all keycaps. Keycaps are for poofs. Real men touchtype on stems. Non-functional artisans are awesome, I use them for the ESC key ... escape is for cowards anyways, real men go frontal assault.

Offline MeloDet

« Reply #145 on: Sat, 19 August 2017, 18:18:47 »
Absolute loving the new renders! And I'm definitely in for Icon mods too.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #146 on: Sat, 19 August 2017, 18:19:41 »
I like both, and would buy either.  That said, the name GMK Necro seems to go better with the old colorway.

Offline monkeysontoast

• Editor, dork, human - powered by pizza & nostalgia
« Reply #147 on: Sun, 20 August 2017, 01:43:17 »
I prefer the old render. Love the green, and the darker mods. The new render doesn't suit the theme, imo, and reminds me of another IC, GMK Graphite.
« Last Edit: Sun, 20 August 2017, 01:44:55 by monkeysontoast »

Offline johuu

« Reply #148 on: Sun, 20 August 2017, 03:06:50 »
Count me in. I like both versions.

Offline polentA

• Formerly withoutrulers
  • GMK plz
« Reply #149 on: Sun, 20 August 2017, 03:25:20 »
The old render is much more unique and compliments the name of the set imo.