Author Topic: [IC] GMK Necro | GB Open Now!!  (Read 101817 times)

Offline jessica

• Formerly CuteDreamsOfYou & Brazzers
  • HHKB is the only good layout
Re: [IC] GMK Necro
« Reply #50 on: Sun, 09 July 2017, 21:09:13 »

Offline jessica

« Reply #51 on: Sun, 09 July 2017, 21:09:23 »
I'll be getting art done

Any thoughts/details to share on that? Inquiring minds would like to know  :D
;)

Offline Blurple33

« Reply #52 on: Sun, 09 July 2017, 21:18:46 »
Icon mods option kit? :D

Certainly not out of the question

i'm up for icon legends if that is an option. if we are taking requests, i will throw my hat in the ring for some windowed led lock keys, tyvm

+1 for an icons

The set's looking great!   :)

Offline shower_king

• Pain is weakness leaving your body
« Reply #53 on: Sun, 09 July 2017, 23:10:27 »
This light green colorway is the set I am always to look forward to.

Especially the creamy and vivid but pretty soft and pleasant to my eyes.

Sorry I could not find a more exact adjective to describe the green for alpha base color, however this is the one green that I want to get.

The light intensity poured out to the 3D render when rendering is a huge factor for us to determine which green in render is approximate to real keys.

If this green in the first render is the one with the decided light intensity you have set in stone already when rendering, I will join in this , definitely.
« Last Edit: Sun, 09 July 2017, 23:12:06 by shower_king »

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #54 on: Sun, 09 July 2017, 23:19:36 »
Diggin' it for sure.
Would be down for this.

Offline 112227

« Reply #55 on: Mon, 10 July 2017, 01:00:06 »
I'm probably in the minority, but I like the GMK renders a little better. A little dimmer and faded.
I'm in no matter what though.

Offline jessica

« Reply #56 on: Mon, 10 July 2017, 16:38:30 »
I'm probably in the minority, but I like the GMK renders a little better. A little dimmer and faded.
I'm in no matter what though.
The render by thesis isn't colour accurate, it was just a first draft with no colour correction what-so-ever. I'm getting them redone with proper colours now though.

Offline Unforgivable

« Reply #57 on: Mon, 10 July 2017, 17:07:28 »
You've done it again, Jessica! I'm in!

Is this going to be ran on Massdrop?

Offline Shados

« Reply #58 on: Mon, 10 July 2017, 18:18:20 »
Are you going to get samples made for the custom colours before the production run goes ahead?

Offline Petch

« Reply #59 on: Tue, 11 July 2017, 07:15:48 »

Please no

If this isn't run via MD, it would be nice to see European proxies (either Candykeys or mykeyboard.eu)

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #60 on: Tue, 11 July 2017, 09:13:17 »

Please no

If this isn't run via MD, it would be nice to see European proxies (either Candykeys or mykeyboard.eu)

People say that, not realizing how much MD does for the runner, and how bad running a GB of this size is.  I'd rather MD all truth be told.  Less stress on the runner, and assurances that it is going to run through.

Offline xantiema

« Reply #61 on: Tue, 11 July 2017, 10:09:23 »

People say that, not realizing how much MD does for the runner, and how bad running a GB of this size is.  I'd rather MD all truth be told.  Less stress on the runner, and assurances that it is going to run through.

People are not looking past that fact at all, but Massdrop mostly caters to a single continent and the few enthusiasts around the globe. It is long past overdue, getting a European proxy warehouse. Especially for products that have to ship from Germany to the US and back to EU. It isn't even the Tax that is the real killer on most of these imports, it is the customs duty fee's that makes it obnoxious to import, e.g. paying 4 dollars tax for a given 2X dollar product, and another 27dollars in fee for their 'effort & time' checking the contents of the box in order to tax you.

This enthusiast scene could be so much bigger, and in my opinion, Massdrop is more of a hindrance now, as every major theme developer chooses to go with them over other vendors, and thus choose to exclude major parts of the world whom aren't die-hard enthusiast enough to pay these fees, duties etc.

They were not a hindrance beforehand, when they were developing the scene and growing alongside it, but being unwilling to adapt and expand, when you hold this much market share really is a killer, when much smaller companies are willing to cater to a broader audience. These vendors could use some love by major themed keysets too!

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #62 on: Tue, 11 July 2017, 12:01:12 »
Massdrop is not the option for a large group buy; Massdrop is the option to make the group buy large. Let's face it, we all hate to pay customs duties or import fees but the visibility that Massdrop gives is unmatched and their customer support is great.
The only thing that really bugs me is that I can't pay the custom duties in advance but only cash to the mailman when it's delivered, and I wouldn't know the exact amount until that very moment.
My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff

Offline xantiema

« Reply #63 on: Tue, 11 July 2017, 12:41:59 »
Massdrop is not the option for a large group buy; Massdrop is the option to make the group buy large. Let's face it, we all hate to pay customs duties or import fees but the visibility that Massdrop gives is unmatched and their customer support is great.
The only thing that really bugs me is that I can't pay the custom duties in advance but only cash to the mailman when it's delivered, and I wouldn't know the exact amount until that very moment.

That happened to me once and it was dreadful - luckily cash is no longer how it works in Denmark  :p

I disagree with "making big". I've accepted the custom fees & wait times, but the average European consumer just wont. EU Proxy would be marketing big.

Offline Petch

« Reply #64 on: Tue, 11 July 2017, 12:52:08 »
MD aren't going to get proxies (anytime soon at least) and there are multiple established stores already proxying

Offline xantiema

« Reply #65 on: Tue, 11 July 2017, 12:55:32 »
MD aren't going to get proxies (anytime soon at least) and there are multiple established stores already proxying

They are not chosen given MD reach & popularity.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #66 on: Tue, 11 July 2017, 13:06:48 »

Exactly.  Massdrop isn't stifling the community, they're giving it the opportunity to become larger.  Do you really think that SP and GMK would be looking at increasing their throughput without the guaranteed return because of massdrop?  There are major investments in increasing the manufacturing capabilities.  They wouldn't do that if they were looking at a possibly flighty revenue stream.  And the other manufacturers that are coming along as johnny come lately wouldn't be without the prospects shown by what MD has done.

Even looking at Whitefox and InputClub and Matt3o, the differences were philosophical and the production of the WF taught them things that they wouldn't have known other than through the experience with MD.

Looking at MD as the bad guy in this situation is only from a short sighted perspective. 

It would probably be better if there was someone with as much pull in other parts of the world.  Hopefully MD will get to the point where there is fulfillment overseas.  And even when they do, there will be hiccups, and they'll get excoriated for it.  But again, them scaling up will help the community if they do, or even if they don't as some tries to fill the gap.

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #67 on: Tue, 11 July 2017, 13:07:20 »
Lesbihonest, runners use MD for the easy profit. There are much better options for GB participants, but with more work and less money in the "designers" pockets.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #68 on: Tue, 11 July 2017, 13:10:32 »

Again, economies of scale.  There's no reason not to do both- support MD to get the community larger and the manufacturing capability up, and support the smaller buys too.  But one doesn't have to fail for the other to succeed.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #69 on: Tue, 11 July 2017, 13:13:04 »
Lesbihonest, runners use MD for the easy profit. There are much better options for GB participants, but with more work and less money in the "designers" pockets.

Like?  That's guaranteed to deliver?  I use Keyclack and Originative and UK Keycaps even, but even with those, being honest, I know they're small operations with only a few people behind the name.  It won't take much to make a good buy go bad.  And even though I do support them, I go in with the expectations that things go wrong.  With MD, I don't have to have that risk factor.  I'll get my keys or my money, eventually.

Offline eksuen

• Ambassador of explosions.
« Reply #70 on: Tue, 11 July 2017, 14:07:50 »
I have a hunch that the European market for products from MD's other communities isn't big enough to justify a European distribution center.  It would seem the majority of people asking for an MD presence in Europe is from the mech community.

Anyway, I like this set. I'll probably buy it if/when it runs.

Offline gutsack

« Reply #71 on: Tue, 11 July 2017, 14:30:38 »
I like it!

Offline xantiema

« Reply #72 on: Tue, 11 July 2017, 15:35:32 »
I have a hunch that the European market for products from MD's other communities isn't big enough to justify a European distribution center.  It would seem the majority of people asking for an MD presence in Europe is from the mech community.

Anyway, I like this set. I'll probably buy it if/when it runs.

Knives would be quite huge in EU for massdrop, considering how hard importing those are (rules & regulations, tax etc.)

Offline TheNamesTy45

« Reply #73 on: Tue, 11 July 2017, 17:14:47 »
*Receives GMK Plum set*
I should be all set for a while.

*Sees this*
Damnit...

Offline badchad

« Reply #74 on: Tue, 11 July 2017, 17:50:57 »
I like the green a lot.  ITs like pistachio
BAD

Offline RevoTeam

• * Maker
« Reply #75 on: Wed, 12 July 2017, 10:52:10 »
Great color!i will keep looking at this thread! ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: Wed, 12 July 2017, 10:55:18 by RevoTeam »

Offline jessica

« Reply #76 on: Thu, 13 July 2017, 12:25:36 »
Asked thesis to try re-rendering the set to hopefully get a more accurate colour palette :)

Shouldn't be too long

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #77 on: Fri, 14 July 2017, 10:33:02 »
Asked thesis to try re-rendering the set to hopefully get a more accurate colour palette :)

Shouldn't be too long

Which calibration tool do you recommend to calibrate my monitor properly with, when this new and representative render comes out?

Offline Auk

« Reply #78 on: Fri, 14 July 2017, 10:40:24 »
Which calibration tool...

X-Rite i1 Display Pro if you're willing to spend the money. Datacolor Spyder, or maybe X-Rite ColorMunki if you want to spend less.

Offline jessica

« Reply #79 on: Mon, 17 July 2017, 18:19:55 »
Looking for artists to do some vector work for this set. Please send me an email (JessJimenez000@gmail.com) with your resume and we can get talking.

And of course, you will be compensated comfortably.

Offline jessica

« Reply #80 on: Mon, 17 July 2017, 18:21:14 »
Oh also, while I'm thinking about it, I need opinions again.

Where would you guys prefer this set be run through? Massdrop again, whom I have had a great experience with, or Originative who are a fantastic company with great people behind it?

Won't do a poll or anything, just comment what you prefer and I'll go off what I feel people want :)

Offline TheNamesTy45

« Reply #81 on: Mon, 17 July 2017, 18:27:14 »

Where would you guys prefer this set be run through? Massdrop again, whom I have had a great experience with, or Originative who are a fantastic company with great people behind it?

Won't do a poll or anything, just comment what you prefer and I'll go off what I feel people want :)

My preference leans more towards Originative because I really like the company, and I want to see them continue to have great items. I'd be fine with Massdrop too as it's always my second option, and hasn't done me dirty yet.

Offline Jae-3soteric

• https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAIHiFKJt69HNad6r
    • Jae | Top Clack
« Reply #82 on: Mon, 17 July 2017, 18:30:14 »
I've had orders not arrive from Originative, and they have been unwilling to support. Even PayPal sided with them in the disputes leaving me $200 out of pocket as they had a tracking number that proved delivery - no signature or confirmation or name, but the tracking showed complete. I've now had it a second time for a $50 order - tracking has been showing the item stuck in California since 28th June, but they refuse to investigate until 28 working days have passed.

With these experiences in mind I'd rather assflop right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #83 on: Mon, 17 July 2017, 18:48:25 »

I like both Massdrop and Originative and know many of their staff personally - either one is okay with me.

However, especially depending on how you run the set, Massdrop will always offer the better prices I'd imagine - If you do the same as you did with Plum and run little to no novelties thus negating the need for a separate kit for them and basically just have the main set and that's it then I'm sure you'll have no issue hitting MOQ.

However if you plan on doing ergoplanck/int. kits and potentially novelties I see it massively benefiting from being ran through MD - plus, as said, the cheaper prices attainable for the base.

Offline RELLIK

• WTB Bro Power Core WASD Set...Still...
« Reply #84 on: Mon, 17 July 2017, 21:51:58 »
Not sure if anybody else has had issues, but since 2/6 packages from MD have reached me, I'd lean towards Originative (though I've only received 1/1 ATM).
Edit: Gonna be watching though, not 100% on this set yet....
« Last Edit: Mon, 17 July 2017, 21:55:06 by RELLIK »

KUL-87        FC660M       Filco MJ2

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #85 on: Mon, 17 July 2017, 22:34:51 »
pure gbs on oco do well and hit low enough. Honeywell was what, $130?
keyboards.

Offline Sissy

« Reply #86 on: Mon, 17 July 2017, 22:55:25 »

Massdrop more likely to get higher numbers, Ive had no problem at all with Originative or MD and dont mind either.
both have great communication in the past

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #87 on: Mon, 17 July 2017, 22:58:45 »

Yea like 130, good price but who knows if Honeywell wouldn't have hit like $110 or even $99 on MD? 30 bucks (even 20) is a big deal in the grand scheme of things, "low enough" doesn't mean optimal.

Mind I'm not arguing against Oco of course, I have nothing but respect for them and have supported them a bunch in the past, it's just that when it comes to sets that can be hugely successful being mindful of min-maxing when it comes to the business side of things is very relevant.

Offline shower_king

• Pain is weakness leaving your body
« Reply #88 on: Mon, 17 July 2017, 23:49:51 »
As for me, MD and OCO are both OK.
MD is like a business platform and attracts more audience from other enthusiasm fields. This provides more orders for this set and of course more profit for you, the designer, and MD.
OCO is a more professional platform in GMK GBs and Mr sherrton could provide more  useful suggestion on colorway and layout, although I think plum and necro are rather good in colorway match collocation. I prefer to the tantalizingly light base color of alpha no matter the plum or necro.

To be selfishly speaking, I perfer to buy this on OCO.  less people to buy , much rarer this set and more valuable in aftermarket.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #89 on: Tue, 18 July 2017, 04:16:12 »

Yea like 130, good price but who knows if Honeywell wouldn't have hit like $110 or even $99 on MD? 30 bucks (even 20) is a big deal in the grand scheme of things, "low enough" doesn't mean optimal.

Mind I'm not arguing against Oco of course, I have nothing but respect for them and have supported them a bunch in the past, it's just that when it comes to sets that can be hugely successful being mindful of min-maxing when it comes to the business side of things is very relevant.

This.  Especially looking at Nautilus which is running right now.

Offline jessica

« Reply #90 on: Tue, 18 July 2017, 05:29:17 »
https://www.massdrop.com/vote/GMK-Necro

Got a poll up on MD, so that should I decide to go through them, the legwork is already done

Offline Petch

« Reply #91 on: Tue, 18 July 2017, 05:53:28 »
If you go with Originative you should be able to run through CandyKeys for an EU proxy too, so +1 to not-massdrop

Offline Unforgivable

« Reply #92 on: Tue, 18 July 2017, 08:00:35 »
I'd honestly prefer Massdrop since they'll reach the masses and will provide better prices.

OCo is a nice company, but at the moment I'm not having the best experience with them. Waiting almost a week for a reply to an email isn't idea after waiting almost a month (And still waiting) for replacements. :(

So, Massdrop please! :)

Edit: Plus I think we all know this will hit $99, since it's from Jessica, duh! :p
« Last Edit: Tue, 18 July 2017, 08:14:22 by Unforgivable »

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #93 on: Tue, 18 July 2017, 10:17:29 »
Heh it's hard to hit $99. 1500 base sets. We can be realistic and expect maybe $119 on MD or $129 on oco. Nothing to shake a stick at.
keyboards.

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #94 on: Tue, 18 July 2017, 10:34:01 »
Heh it's hard to hit $99. 1500 base sets. We can be realistic and expect maybe $119 on MD or $129 on oco. Nothing to shake a stick at.

I think with how big the hobby has gotten 109 on MD is pretty realistic, I agree 99 would be hard since it's 1500 as said but still. Even a 10 dollar difference is a big deal.

Not to mention shipping prices are also colossally different for customers outside the US, back when I purchased Keyboard & Co through OCo I paid 32 dollars for standard international USPS delivery - I'm paying $13 for express DHL tracked ensured for Nautilus (week~ delivery), yet I would've had to pay around 30 bucks for DSA Hyperfuse (which I ended up proxying) last week; $25~ for USPS first class (7-14 business days) or 38 for DHL express (2-3 business days, admittedly very good value).

As said they've definitely improved but businesses like Keyclack, OCo, etc. can't really compete toe to toe with the prices Massdrop can provide.

That said, if OCo can set up a proxy for EU via Candykeys, then it'll definitely be cheaper for EU customers to buy it through them rather than Massdrop for obvious reasons - Solarized Dark was 125€ through MykeyboardEU and $135 through Keyclack, that's an almost 1:1 conversion, I'm gonna end up paying like 165€ for Nautilus (shipped) when all's said and done so a 40€ difference right there at the very least.

Offline KeLorean

« Reply #95 on: Tue, 18 July 2017, 17:02:34 »
if there is some way to make those alphas glow in the dark i think this kit will be legendary. i am curious what was the influence here? was it a videogame or movie character?
Click it OR Ticket!

Offline Petch

« Reply #96 on: Tue, 18 July 2017, 18:22:37 »

I think with how big the hobby has gotten 109 on MD is pretty realistic, I agree 99 would be hard since it's 1500 as said but still. Even a 10 dollar difference is a big deal.

Not to mention shipping prices are also colossally different for customers outside the US, back when I purchased Keyboard & Co through OCo I paid 32 dollars for standard international USPS delivery - I'm paying $13 for express DHL tracked ensured for Nautilus (week~ delivery), yet I would've had to pay around 30 bucks for DSA Hyperfuse (which I ended up proxying) last week; $25~ for USPS first class (7-14 business days) or 38 for DHL express (2-3 business days, admittedly very good value).

As said they've definitely improved but businesses like Keyclack, OCo, etc. can't really compete toe to toe with the prices Massdrop can provide.

That said, if OCo can set up a proxy for EU via Candykeys, then it'll definitely be cheaper for EU customers to buy it through them rather than Massdrop for obvious reasons - Solarized Dark was 125€ through MykeyboardEU and $135 through Keyclack, that's an almost 1:1 conversion, I'm gonna end up paying like 165€ for Nautilus (shipped) when all's said and done so a 40€ difference right there at the very least.

It's already cheaper for EU customers without a proxy if massdrop isn't used because oco will mark down the value if you ask them to. No customs.

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #97 on: Tue, 18 July 2017, 19:00:56 »
It's already cheaper for EU customers without a proxy if massdrop isn't used because oco will mark down the value if you ask them to. No customs.

Not as significant of an amount though as you'll still need to deal with handling/storage/etc fees depending on where you live and/or if they check packages all packages that come from outside the EU (which Portugal tends to do, at least).

Plus I'd rather avoid that sort of activity if I can for obvious reasons, not to mention that certain countries' customs (like mine) take weeks on weeks to release international packages so having it ship from within the EU would bypass all those frustrating and boring issues. Half the time I end up having to drive up to their HQ for 45 minutes and wait 3 hours in line to have my stuff released if I don't want to have to wait 2 weeks for them to process it.

Offline jessica

« Reply #98 on: Tue, 18 July 2017, 19:50:18 »
if there is some way to make those alphas glow in the dark i think this kit will be legendary. i am curious what was the influence here? was it a videogame or movie character?

None of my sets have influence the same way others do. I don't design a set to have a vibe, it happens naturally.
This set specifically has a very "cemetary, zombie" vibe to it. Undead kinda feel.

IDK if GMK has glow in the dark compatability but I suppose I could see, as it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Offline KeLorean

« Reply #99 on: Tue, 18 July 2017, 20:40:21 »

None of my sets have influence the same way others do. I don't design a set to have a vibe, it happens naturally.
This set specifically has a very "cemetary, zombie" vibe to it. Undead kinda feel.

IDK if GMK has glow in the dark compatability but I suppose I could see, as it wouldn't hurt to ask.

well, if gmk doesn't have glow in the dark capability you should either put pressure on them to figure it out or start looking elsewhere.  i think "borealis" had glow in the dark capability.  (although i don't think they thought it through entirely and there was a technicality that made it a rather weak glow. and i have no idea if that was gmk or someone else.) nonetheless i'll buy it either way, but if it glows in the dark, this would set a whole new standard.  just saying
Click it OR Ticket!