Author Topic: [IC] Type K - Tented Ergo keyboard (10/08/2023 - GB STARTING ON AUGUST 20TH)  (Read 498556 times)

Offline syke

Re: Type K - Tented Ergo keyboard
« Reply #250 on: Thu, 23 July 2020, 06:59:07 »
Do you mind me asking why not run it as an open group buy, a la 7v?

Much rather wait to get my hands on it, than not get my hands on it at all  :'(
+1

Offline Visionaire

« Reply #251 on: Thu, 23 July 2020, 07:55:30 »

+1

He said it's difficult to manufacture and the company they're working with has advised them to run smaller amounts at a time. Thus, they're running them to their liking and selling in-stock FCFS. Indicated they intend to run more than once if all goes well.

Offline orim23

« Reply #252 on: Thu, 23 July 2020, 08:16:52 »

+1

He said it's difficult to manufacture and the company they're working with has advised them to run smaller amounts at a time. Thus, they're running them to their liking and selling in-stock FCFS. Indicated they intend to run more than once if all goes well.
FCFS means its gone in 30sec. Lots of disappointed people. Also i personally like the fact that with GB you order a board and like a year later it turns up. Makes the whole hobby relaxed. While in Stock FCFS makes the whole thing more fast paced and more competitive.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Offline KingOfMemes

« Reply #253 on: Thu, 23 July 2020, 08:52:12 »

+1

FCFS means its gone in 30sec. Lots of disappointed people. Also i personally like the fact that with GB you order a board and like a year later it turns up. Makes the whole hobby relaxed. While in Stock FCFS makes the whole thing more fast paced and more competitive.

But who doesn't like a little race and competition?

Offline Visionaire

« Reply #254 on: Thu, 23 July 2020, 08:52:20 »

+1

I mean, I understand your point, I'm simply sharing what was said earlier in the thread. There are pros and cons of each method and believe OP will take them into account and come up with a solution they're comfortable with.

Offline FlitzDeelman

« Reply #255 on: Thu, 23 July 2020, 08:59:15 »
But who doesn't like a little race and competition?

Me. I’d rather just get my paws on that board.

But I get that demand is crazy now. I’ll take my chances with what Gok can manage. If I have the money at that time.

For what it’s worth, I think the Tind raffle as run by LeandreN was nice though - enough time to fill out the form and get it right. I missed out, but it was OK. With the Tind I’m fairly sure he’ll have one next year again, and he mentioned a TKL recently...

« Reply #256 on: Thu, 23 July 2020, 15:41:48 »
On another note, the PCBs are finally in the queue for production so I should have a functional prototype by next month. In the mean-time, I will be working on designing an adjustable testing rig so I can quickly try out different layouts + tenting & angle options.
Any updates on this?

Offline KingOfMemes

« Reply #257 on: Thu, 23 July 2020, 15:57:06 »
On another note, the PCBs are finally in the queue for production so I should have a functional prototype by next month. In the mean-time, I will be working on designing an adjustable testing rig so I can quickly try out different layouts + tenting & angle options.
Any updates on this?
That comment was posted 2 days ago

« Reply #258 on: Thu, 23 July 2020, 18:40:26 »
*facepalm*
I somehow read July as June, wow.

Sorry for the ping.

Sent from my Redmi K20 Pro using Tapatalk

Offline Zephyraeon

« Reply #259 on: Thu, 23 July 2020, 19:35:57 »
Hi gok - just my 2c - I'd love to see a 3/1/3 bottom row support. thanks as always and whatever you decide, i'd be in.
I guess if I remove 2.75u space altogether it would allow me to offer 3u or 2u+1 on the left but I don't think there is enough room on the right because it's already really close to the fold line.

EDIT: I could change the right spacebar to 3u which splits to 1+2 as well and would appease those that use their right thumb for spacebar. The problem then becomes keyset support where there are currently no GMK sets that I know of which offer 3u spacebars.

For keycap compatibility if you changed left side to 3u or 2u+1u and kept right side as is, most existing spacebar kits would be compatible (2x1u, 1x2u, 1x2.25u) but it would give the option of people having long spacebar or not on the left. Also with those lengths there would a symmetrical 0.5u overhang on both sides.

Alternatively keep as is but give left side 1.75u+1u compatibility, I think 1.75u spacebars are about as easy to find as 3u but there won't be doubling up of stab holes (and most sets would have an extra 1.75u shift as 1.25u shift is used for split right shift for type-k).

I'll be trying for one of these regardless but would appreciate an option that was a bit easier to fill with existing keycap set design.

Offline gok_nz

• Enjoy your PBT
    • Website
« Reply #260 on: Thu, 23 July 2020, 20:44:07 »
Hi gok - just my 2c - I'd love to see a 3/1/3 bottom row support. thanks as always and whatever you decide, i'd be in.
I guess if I remove 2.75u space altogether it would allow me to offer 3u or 2u+1 on the left but I don't think there is enough room on the right because it's already really close to the fold line.

EDIT: I could change the right spacebar to 3u which splits to 1+2 as well and would appease those that use their right thumb for spacebar. The problem then becomes keyset support where there are currently no GMK sets that I know of which offer 3u spacebars.

For keycap compatibility if you changed left side to 3u or 2u+1u and kept right side as is, most existing spacebar kits would be compatible (2x1u, 1x2u, 1x2.25u) but it would give the option of people having long spacebar or not on the left. Also with those lengths there would a symmetrical 0.5u overhang on both sides.

Alternatively keep as is but give left side 1.75u+1u compatibility, I think 1.75u spacebars are about as easy to find as 3u but there won't be doubling up of stab holes (and most sets would have an extra 1.75u shift as 1.25u shift is used for split right shift for type-k).

I'll be trying for one of these regardless but would appreciate an option that was a bit easier to fill with existing keycap set design.
Regarding the symmetrical aspect, dual 3u would actually be more symmetrical (I had to cheat before on the right side by sliding the 3 keys towards the alpha a bit to pull it away from the ridge of the tent).

1.75 isn't good because it is not a stabilised key so it wouldn't work well for spacebars.

I understand your concern about keyset compatibility but this is a bit of a case of trying to establish trends because I believe that 3u spacebars are better than 2.25 and 2.

Offline Kalabalik

« Reply #261 on: Thu, 23 July 2020, 20:56:28 »
Keycap set designers don't want two include 3u spacebars in their sets because there are basically no keyboards that support them. Keyboard designers don't want to support 3u spacebars because there are basically no keycap sets that include 3u spacebars.

Someone has to go first.

Offline gok_nz

• Enjoy your PBT
    • Website
« Reply #262 on: Fri, 24 July 2020, 00:35:37 »
Keycap set designers don't want two include 3u spacebars in their sets because there are basically no keyboards that support them. Keyboard designers don't want to support 3u spacebars because there are basically no keycap sets that include 3u spacebars.

Someone has to go first.
You don't have to. You can do 1x 3u and 2u +1u on the other side. Aside from the sets that I already run, I've been speaking to a prominent keycap designer and they plan to include 3u on their GMK sets as well.

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #263 on: Fri, 24 July 2020, 04:49:27 »

1.75u space is no good because it's a 40s-only size, so a lot of sets don't include it (justifiably so). 3u / 2u+1u is a better solution.
« Last Edit: Fri, 24 July 2020, 11:26:25 by konstantin »

Offline Poesjuh

« Reply #264 on: Fri, 24 July 2020, 05:57:18 »
But... since right shift is 1.25 you’ll have a 1.75u shift spare in pretty much all kits :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline regionfree

« Reply #265 on: Fri, 24 July 2020, 08:52:36 »
looking forward to this!

Offline Zephyraeon

« Reply #266 on: Fri, 24 July 2020, 17:33:55 »

1.75u space is no good because it's a 40s-only size, so a lot of sets don't include it (justifiably so). 3u / 2u+1u is a better solution.

But 3u spacebars aren't usually in 40s *or* spacebar kits. I trust gok's judgment so I'll be buying extra kits for 3u spacebars as none of my spacebar kits came with any (although I have a few 1.75u spacebars...). Hopefully more designers will include 3u spacebars as gok has suggested so it's not too much of a problem going forward. We're going to have to wait at least a year so have plenty of time to find what we need.

Just a bit bummed because I like to do secondary ALPS builds for my keyboards (although expecting the included PCB won't support ALPS), and it's going to be extremely tough finding compatibility with ALPS keycaps with this layout.

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #267 on: Fri, 24 July 2020, 17:44:51 »
But 3u spacebars aren't usually in 40s *or* spacebar kits. I trust gok's judgment so I'll be buying extra kits for 3u spacebars as none of my spacebar kits came with any (although I have a few 1.75u spacebars...). Hopefully more designers will include 3u spacebars as gok has suggested so it's not too much of a problem going forward. We're going to have to wait at least a year so have plenty of time to find what we need.

Several GMK sets have already included 3u keys in their spacebars kits, and more are following suit. It's a fairly recent development (2020), but it's gaining popularity.

Offline mrpetrov

« Reply #268 on: Fri, 24 July 2020, 18:19:00 »
If there was ever an ergo board to make 3u spacebars move toward the mainstream, it's this board. I definitely support this 3u layout.

Offline julianz

« Reply #269 on: Fri, 24 July 2020, 22:48:56 »
247908-0
Hey, just wondering why on the left side, the Q and A stagger is almost ortholinear while the A and Z stagger is closer to a 0.5u distance?
My personal 2cents is, for the left hand the bottom row of alphas is kinda far, with the B key being a key that really far and i keep making mistakes with that key. Not sure if you feel the same

Would it make more sense to shift the Z to the left more? And then the XCVB keys can also move leftwards and be closer to the F key

Anyways hope you have a good day! Looking forward to the keeb nonetheless
« Last Edit: Fri, 24 July 2020, 22:51:22 by julianz »

Offline gok_nz

• Enjoy your PBT
    • Website
« Reply #270 on: Sat, 25 July 2020, 01:15:11 »
(Attachment Link)
Hey, just wondering why on the left side, the Q and A stagger is almost ortholinear while the A and Z stagger is closer to a 0.5u distance?
My personal 2cents is, for the left hand the bottom row of alphas is kinda far, with the B key being a key that really far and i keep making mistakes with that key. Not sure if you feel the same

Would it make more sense to shift the Z to the left more? And then the XCVB keys can also move leftwards and be closer to the F key

Anyways hope you have a good day! Looking forward to the keeb nonetheless
The simple answer is that it was just how it ended up after preserving the stagger of the main keys in the middle.
It's an interesting thought though. The issue that I can see will be the effect it has on the 4th key on the left column since I don't want to push it out further since it would make the tenting point taller. I guess the left shift could shrink but that sort of opens up a cna of worms and you also need to think about what effect that has on the right side since you'd want it balanced.

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #271 on: Sat, 25 July 2020, 02:56:46 »
(Attachment Link)

This looks like pretty standard stagger for the ZXCV row. W, E, R etc. are also staggered correctly. I wouldn't touch it. Q is the only key that's slightly off, but I think that will hardly be a problem.
« Last Edit: Sat, 25 July 2020, 02:58:44 by konstantin »

Offline 002_GT

• KR Boards OP
« Reply #272 on: Sun, 02 August 2020, 07:23:44 »
poggers

Offline menuhin

« Reply #273 on: Tue, 04 August 2020, 04:09:35 »
I've to express my unpopular keyboard option amidst the current trend:
I've always thought the Alice keyboard design looks quite ugly to my eyes, and I found it quite intriguing that it sells so well. And most of the Alice variants, e.g. with arrow cluster look even more bizarre and imbalanced.

However, perhaps I've seen so many posts about the Alice design, and perhaps it's GOK - this design has achieved a degree of elegance and balance that I finally found it looks appealing.
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline leexy

« Reply #274 on: Tue, 04 August 2020, 07:59:05 »
thank u for ur valuable opinion

Offline break

« Reply #275 on: Tue, 04 August 2020, 10:35:27 »
thank u for ur valuable opinion

And thank you for your uselessly snarky contribution to this thread.

I've to express my unpopular keyboard option amidst the current trend:
I've always thought the Alice keyboard design looks quite ugly to my eyes, and I found it quite intriguing that it sells so well. And most of the Alice variants, e.g. with arrow cluster look even more bizarre and imbalanced.

However, perhaps I've seen so many posts about the Alice design, and perhaps it's GOK - this design has achieved a degree of elegance and balance that I finally found it looks appealing.

I agree, for what it's worth. Alice layouts have an interesting core - split, tilted alphas on a single physical unit - but some of the updates miss the mark and look unbalanced or overdesigned. I'm not sure if it's tenting, the bottom row layout or the narrower side bezels, but Type K really seems to hit the mark.

Offline tempo

« Reply #276 on: Wed, 05 August 2020, 00:08:29 »
Looking forward to this one

Offline Scriba

« Reply #277 on: Fri, 07 August 2020, 03:24:04 »
I'm interested, prefer space bar on the right though (like many others).

Offline nandgate996

« Reply #278 on: Sun, 09 August 2020, 03:06:18 »
Aluminium bottom is better,balance the center of gravity!

Offline fabijolo

• I like expensive plastic.
« Reply #279 on: Sun, 09 August 2020, 11:24:15 »
Wdym, I don't think it effects the gravity/balance in any way, since the weight of the aluminium is still on top, and the bottom is a even surface, so I really don't see how the bottom material should effect that :D
Aluminium bottom is better,balance the center of gravity!

Offline gok_nz

• Enjoy your PBT
    • Website
« Reply #280 on: Sun, 09 August 2020, 14:01:59 »
I'm interested, prefer space bar on the right though (like many others).
The next revision will come with 3u spacebars that can be split into 2u + 1u so you can have the full spacebar on either side.

With regards to the bottom being aluminium, I think that would make it far too heavy for a wedged shaped board because it would be really difficult to pick up.

Offline gok_nz

• Enjoy your PBT
    • Website
« Reply #281 on: Fri, 14 August 2020, 23:49:41 »
The PCBs have arrived and I've added photos of them.
Some minor updates to the OP with regards to plans on changes to the design.

Offline hkhawk

« Reply #282 on: Sat, 15 August 2020, 00:37:54 »
Awesome updates. So excited for this (but also fully aware it'll be nearly impossible to get).

Offline Visionaire

« Reply #283 on: Sat, 15 August 2020, 08:37:44 »
Its so cruel to have the money sitting here waiting and yet no way to give it to you for this! :)

Offline menuhin

« Reply #284 on: Sat, 15 August 2020, 13:35:12 »
Its so cruel to have the money sitting here waiting and yet no way to give it to you for this! :)

Well, then you can PM OP and fund him for his prototyping process if you have so much $ sitting and so much incentive to use your $ to make this project happens  :cool: :D
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT

Offline Visionaire

« Reply #285 on: Sat, 15 August 2020, 18:33:16 »

Well, then you can PM OP and fund him for his prototyping process if you have so much $ sitting and so much incentive to use your $ to make this project happens  :cool: :D

If it would guarantee me a board, I'd be happy to help ;)

Offline menuhin

« Reply #286 on: Sun, 16 August 2020, 15:24:59 »

If it would guarantee me a board, I'd be happy to help ;)

True, some GB runners have early-bird supporters this way, similar to kickstarters.
I'm sure gok has a good enough reputation to get support for his prototyping.
More
IBM M13 black
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT

Offline krey

« Reply #287 on: Sun, 16 August 2020, 23:46:38 »
i am very impressed with how this is looking.
Kepler FC65 | 7v | Think6.5 v1 | Maja | G60 | TX75v2 | Fjell | Klippe x2 | Acrylic Tofu | CA66 | Norbaforce

Offline ricepixer

Re: [IC] Type K - Tented Ergo keyboard
« Reply #288 on: Wed, 19 August 2020, 23:29:32 »
So far, this is the ONLY ergo that I have ever wanted.  That combo of black, smokey pc, and stainless steel is so hot.

Offline Arithmetics

« Reply #289 on: Thu, 03 September 2020, 17:02:00 »
got those OG spacekeys. 3u will be interesting...

Offline samuelcc

« Reply #290 on: Mon, 07 September 2020, 05:16:37 »
This is sick...
Hope there's enough quantity so everyone that like it can get one.

Offline of_sam

« Reply #291 on: Mon, 07 September 2020, 21:30:06 »
Hadn't checked in on this in a bit. Those pcbs...wow! Super excited for this one.
Typing on: HHKB Pro 2 - Stock :aware:
Collection: F1.69, Police, Jubi, RF 87U, En Dash, Rosenthal, Soulless, Frog, Calliope, GAF 910, Sabre, W1-AT

Offline vurtomatic

« Reply #292 on: Tue, 08 September 2020, 00:44:55 »
These keycaps would be sweet for the board.

Offline MisterKnife

« Reply #293 on: Fri, 11 September 2020, 17:39:23 »
Isn’t it safer on my desk when nobody is able to lift it? A response to the bottom part not being from an alloy

Offline Visionaire

« Reply #294 on: Fri, 18 September 2020, 07:54:58 »
Anyone else come back to this thread a couple of times a week just to stare at the photos again? haha

Offline hottrout

• I'd Hit Dat Key
« Reply #295 on: Sat, 19 September 2020, 03:03:57 »
I pop into it every week. :)
Current Daily Driver : Virgo - Ultramarine - Standard Lube  |  WTB : Topre Realforce Hi-Pro, please PM me if you have one for sale.

Systems -
More
Work |i9-7940x@4.8ghz|32GB(3600)|STRIX-RTX3090Ti|Bespoke Water, 360m Rad|X299 Prime Deluxe|EK x299 Monoblock|Optane 900p|2x1TB 960 Pro|2x10TB Helium|Dell U3415W + Dell UP2116Q
Home |i9-13900ks|32GB(7300)|Rog RTX 4090|Asus Z790 Rog Maximus Hero|Torrent Air|2TB 990 Pro|2TB 990 Pro|Dell AW3423DW QOLED|NEC MultiSync|Drobo16TB
Mining |i5-7500|16GB(2400)|H110 Pro BTC+|8x1080Ti|2x1650Watt PSU

Plus 40 years of collecting retro computers, consoles, games, peripherals, mainframes and mini's as well as their software, keyboards, games and manuals. 100's of systems including every Amiga model made
  Keyboards -
More
IBM 3101 | IBM 3276 | IBM 5150 | IBM ModelM | Dictaphone Dual Display | Vintage Cherrys (1982 onwards, just about all of them) | Commodore (all of them) | Nixdorf | Siemens | ICL | Apple (all of them) | Filco Majistouch | KBDFans 5degree - Chocolate | Rama M6-B - Moon | CA66 Silver | ClueBoard Graphite/PC | Varmilo VA69M Silver | E7-V1 SE Yellow | Rama U-80 Space Grey | VN66 Navy | BOCC Frosted Polycarbonate | Rama M10-C Midnight | FLX Virgo Teal & Black | Rama M60-A LYN Kuro | Space65 CyberVoyager WhiteGold | Space65 CyberVoyager Terminal | Hyper 7 | Clarabelle Sandblasted Polycarbonate | Elongate Mini 1800 Blue | Petrichor 1800 Red | Vulcan Maja Ergo Green | Think6.5v2 RoboCop | Jacky Bear 65% E-White | Sakabato CB87 TKL Champagne | KCK KY-01 Aquamarine | Jae J-01 F&F E-White & Copper | S7.7 E-White | The Adélie Blue | NIX OxalyS80 LE Dark Polycarbonate | Mesa TKL E-White | Smith & Rune IRON180 Graen/Brass | Skog Reboot Desert | CU7 Black | ROTR Silver & Copper | RAMA Kara Soya | Grid 650 E-White | SIX5 LE Aluminium & Gold | OwLab Voice65 Grey | BOX 75 Black Stainless Steel | Onyx E-White | Ikki68 BT Charcoal | Smith & Rune Iron 165 Graphite & Stainless Steel | Epoch 80% Black | RAMA Thermal SEQ2 Kuro | Paper Crane Gerald65 SE PC & CF | CB1800 ZANBATO | GLiTCH | Eclipse Grey & SS | TGR Tomo Silver | Mountain Ergo Black | Keebwerk NASU Black/Red | Phase One 65 Grey | Command TKL Fire | Chalice Frosted | VIENDI 8L Shadow | | Vulcan Maja PC | Glove 80 | Matrix 8XV 3.0 Starry Night | Sagittarius Grey Lilac | AKB OGR & Numpad Dolch | Type K Black

Offline The.Ryan.Gamer

« Reply #296 on: Sat, 19 September 2020, 10:40:39 »
Any idea on Pricing?

Offline gok_nz

• Enjoy your PBT
    • Website
« Reply #297 on: Tue, 22 September 2020, 05:43:39 »
Any idea on Pricing?
It's still up in the air.

On another note, I've updated the IC with new renders (aside from the exploded view) of the revised design and layout.
In short, dual 3u spacebars and a 7-degree tent.

Offline The.Ryan.Gamer

« Reply #298 on: Tue, 22 September 2020, 06:05:54 »
Any idea on Pricing?
It's still up in the air.

On another note, I've updated the IC with new renders (aside from the exploded view) of the revised design and layout.
In short, dual 3u spacebars and a 7-degree tent.

Thanks Gok.

Offline Ben2707

« Reply #299 on: Wed, 23 September 2020, 04:25:26 »
So far, this is the ONLY ergo that I have ever wanted.  That combo of black, smokey pc, and stainless steel is so hot.

Ditto
Constellation65/ Satisfaction75/ Keycult No.1 Rev.2