Author Topic: [IC] Satisfaction 75 - 75% w/ OLED and Knob (4/25 UPDATE - 5/6 GB START)  (Read 130740 times)

Offline upas

Re: [IC] Satisfaction 75 - 75% Keyboard w/ OLED Screen and Rotary Encoder
« Reply #250 on: Sat, 16 March 2019, 17:29:33 »
If the options are known ahead of time.  Good GB should have that.  I've seen them where options were different/modified and completely new options appeared on the GB form when it went live.  Caused many to miss out.

I will definitely release all options ahead of time! And I'll also release all the GB details at least 1 week before the GB starts.

The remade prototypes should be finishing up soon, hope to have an update on that soon :).

Offline rondg

« Reply #251 on: Sat, 16 March 2019, 17:34:21 »
Will there be only one GB run?

Offline thecyangiant

« Reply #252 on: Sat, 16 March 2019, 17:47:26 »
If the options are known ahead of time.  Good GB should have that.  I've seen them where options were different/modified and completely new options appeared on the GB form when it went live.  Caused many to miss out.

I will definitely release all options ahead of time! And I'll also release all the GB details at least 1 week before the GB starts.

The remade prototypes should be finishing up soon, hope to have an update on that soon :).
Excellent! I'm so excited to see the progress! I really hope to own one of these!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Offline Jermane

« Reply #253 on: Sun, 17 March 2019, 01:58:52 »

Awesome! Thanks for letting us know ahead of time that you will let us know ahead of time :D This will certainly be my end game board. hope everything goes smoothly with your protos.

Offline Uryftw

« Reply #254 on: Mon, 18 March 2019, 09:06:37 »
I am definitely interested in this.

Offline upas

« Reply #255 on: Tue, 19 March 2019, 12:42:18 »
Hey guys,

I just wanted to officially write down some information that has been made public:

The prototypes are almost done and should ship to me by next week, the factory has matched the desired color, but the finishes still need to be evaluated for quality.

There will be a build stream done of one of the prototypes.

The current plan is to offer more than 50 slots, the actual number has not been revealed.

There will be 4 color options, if these prototypes turn out well: Deep Ocean Blue, Pirate Black, Stormy Grey, and Cloud White. These were the top 4 choices in the IC! (Well, purple was before white, but I think white fits the theme better)

While there are plans for custom knobs, they aren't ready yet and likely won't be ready in time for the group buy. The knobs will not delay this group buy, so there will probably be a future group buy for the custom knobs.

I hope to be able to show everyone more once the prototypes arrive!
« Last Edit: Tue, 19 March 2019, 12:46:13 by upas »

Offline KevlarBear

« Reply #256 on: Tue, 19 March 2019, 13:11:59 »
Can't wait! :thumb:

Offline thecyangiant

« Reply #257 on: Tue, 19 March 2019, 13:49:24 »
Squeeeeeeeee

Offline Tekniqs

« Reply #258 on: Tue, 19 March 2019, 16:48:52 »
in for cloud white or stormy grey

Offline swangful

« Reply #259 on: Tue, 19 March 2019, 21:28:02 »
Hey guys,

I just wanted to officially write down some information that has been made public:

The prototypes are almost done and should ship to me by next week, the factory has matched the desired color, but the finishes still need to be evaluated for quality.

The current plan is to offer more than 50 slots, the actual number has not been revealed.

There will be 4 color options, if these prototypes turn out well: Deep Ocean Blue, Pirate Black, Stormy Grey, and Cloud White. These were the top 4 choices in the IC! (Well, purple was before white, but I think white fits the theme better)

While there are plans for custom knobs, they aren't ready yet and likely won't be ready in time for the group buy. The knobs will not delay this group buy, so there will probably be a future group buy for the custom knobs.

Missed opportunity for the black pearl
Stoked either way

Offline sozo

« Reply #260 on: Tue, 19 March 2019, 21:28:35 »
In for deep ocean blue!

Offline RETURNISO

• I do get excited about keyboard stuff..
« Reply #261 on: Tue, 19 March 2019, 21:45:51 »
Hey guys,

Nice Upas! Pirate black all the way!  :cool:

Offline Jermane

« Reply #262 on: Tue, 19 March 2019, 22:30:32 »
Nooo my purple! It's okay that blue is incredible.

Offline omjak

« Reply #263 on: Tue, 19 March 2019, 23:36:59 »

Will there be a standard knob (not custom) that will come with the board? 

Offline japancakes

« Reply #264 on: Wed, 20 March 2019, 03:03:07 »
Is brass still a color option?

Offline upas

« Reply #265 on: Wed, 20 March 2019, 08:30:37 »
Is brass still a color option?

Brass case was never an option. The weight and plate with both be brass.

Offline upas

« Reply #266 on: Wed, 20 March 2019, 08:31:14 »

Will there be a standard knob (not custom) that will come with the board?

Yes! I have some very nice knobs lined up, they just aren't custom. When I receive prototypes and build them out, you'll see them.

Offline ian13

« Reply #267 on: Wed, 20 March 2019, 22:24:34 »
Hey guys,

Missed opportunity for the black pearl
Stoked either way

Oof! I, for one, would like to have it named Black Pearl.  :p But that's fine  :thumb:
I hope to be able to get in on the Cloud White board, though  :cool:

Offline MrFurrior

« Reply #268 on: Thu, 21 March 2019, 04:57:17 »
Seeing this as FCFS is making me anxious, I need this board for home! D: Please don't make it go on sale like 2am UK time.

Offline unluckyxiii

• Instagram
« Reply #269 on: Thu, 21 March 2019, 05:46:02 »
Really like this board. The oled display and the knob. Too bad I can’t use on Mac with wkl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ErgoMacros

« Reply #270 on: Thu, 21 March 2019, 11:54:36 »
Really like this board. The oled display and the knob. Too bad I can’t use on Mac with wkl.

Looks to me like Win key is an option (from the first post):
   http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/gists/2156e0dbbaffd0f243269cdfa357e1c9
Today's quote: '...“but then the customer successfully broke that.”

Offline unluckyxiii

• Instagram
« Reply #271 on: Thu, 21 March 2019, 12:01:52 »
Ah my bad cos I saw that line about no other bottom row layout support and assumed a fixed wks layout. Great now we just have to wait!

Offline KevlarBear

« Reply #272 on: Thu, 21 March 2019, 12:04:11 »
Also, it is QMK, so you can make any key the cmd key. Alternatively you can go System Preferences > Keyboard > Keyboard > Modifier Keys and set it up there as well

Offline upas

« Reply #273 on: Thu, 21 March 2019, 14:36:01 »

Ah my bad cos I saw that line about no other bottom row layout support and assumed a fixed wks layout. Great now we just have to wait!

I updated the gist with the ISO PCB support :) The gist shows the PCB support, the plate layouts won't necessarily agree with the PCB (I won't have a fully universal plate), but I will release DXF files for plates.

I'll have more information about plates coming up soon.

Offline unluckyxiii

• Instagram
« Reply #274 on: Thu, 21 March 2019, 14:52:29 »
Also, it is QMK, so you can make any key the cmd key. Alternatively you can go System Preferences > Keyboard > Keyboard > Modifier Keys and set it up there as well

Yes but I use the cmd key very frequently and it has to not in an odd place

Offline unluckyxiii

• Instagram
« Reply #275 on: Thu, 21 March 2019, 14:53:03 »

I updated the gist with the ISO PCB support :) The gist shows the PCB support, the plate layouts won't necessarily agree with the PCB (I won't have a fully universal plate), but I will release DXF files for plates.

I'll have more information about plates coming up soon.

Thanks definitely looking forward to it!

Offline odd

« Reply #276 on: Fri, 22 March 2019, 17:22:09 »
The ultimate 75 coumt me in for sure

Offline shodid

« Reply #277 on: Fri, 22 March 2019, 20:06:02 »
I'm interested in this.

Offline ricesteam

« Reply #278 on: Sun, 24 March 2019, 15:25:24 »
Interested!

Offline RETURNISO

• I do get excited about keyboard stuff..
« Reply #279 on: Sun, 24 March 2019, 15:42:38 »
Triple interested

Offline upas

« Reply #280 on: Sun, 24 March 2019, 16:10:11 »
Hello everyone,

I have some unfortunate news. This weekend, I received the two Satisfaction 75 prototypes. And unfortunately, they both fell far short of my quality bar. While the machining was decent for the most part, the finishing quality was quite poor, and frankly unacceptable.

This means two things are going to happen - 1st, this group buy is now going to be delayed again. I'm going to have to spend more of my own money to do a 3rd prototyping round with another factory. That being said, I am very happy with my decision to frontload all the spending and prototyping in order to execute a successful group buy, and I will continue to use this method until I'm confident that my selected manufacturer can deliver.

Second, I am now opening up an IC for my Brutal60 board, which will run before Satisfaction 75, so that I have time to work with a new factory on achieving the desired quality. I have already run a private group buy for the Brutal60, and already have a factory that can meet the quality bar, so as long as there is interest, the Group Buy for Brutal60 will start very soon. Keep your eyes open for a post on that soon!

But not all is lost! I still have two more functioning prototypes of the Satisfaction75, which I will be using to show off some of the cool features, and reveal some new information :). Here are some photos, where you can see some of the issues. I also wish I had a more fitting keycap set for this, but I had to use ePBT Greyscale, since it was all I had available.

Example of issues:

It's unfortunate that the group buy will be delayed, but please understand this is for the best. I want the Satisfaction 75 to be a satisfying experience when it is finally delivered, and I'm not willing to compromise on that.

P.S. If you haven't already, check out my store, https://cannonkeys.com ! We recently launched and hope we have something you might like!

Offline gt1989

Re: [IC] Satisfaction 75 - 75% w/ OLED Screen and Rotary Encoder (3/24 UPDATE)
« Reply #281 on: Sun, 24 March 2019, 16:15:32 »
Hello everyone,

I have some unfortunate news. This weekend, I received the two Satisfaction 75 prototypes. And unfortunately, they both fell far short of my quality bar. While the machining was decent for the most part, the finishing quality was quite poor, and frankly unacceptable.

This means two things are going to happen - 1st, this group buy is now going to be delayed again. I'm going to have to spend more of my own money to do a 3rd prototyping round with another factory. That being said, I am very happy with my decision to frontload all the spending and prototyping in order to execute a successful group buy, and I will continue to use this method until I'm confident that my selected manufacturer can deliver.

Second, I am now opening up an IC for my Brutal60 board, which will run before Satisfaction 75, so that I have time to work with a new factory on achieving the desired quality. I have already run a private group buy for the Brutal60, and already have a factory that can meet the quality bar, so as long as there is interest, the Group Buy for Brutal60 will start very soon. Keep your eyes open for a post on that soon!

But not all is lost! I still have two more functioning prototypes of the Satisfaction75, which I will be using to show off some of the cool features, and reveal some new information :). Here are some photos, where you can see some of the issues. I also wish I had a more fitting keycap set for this, but I had to use ePBT Greyscale, since it was all I had available.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Example of issues:
Show Image

Show Image

It's unfortunate that the group buy will be delayed, but please understand this is for the best. I want the Satisfaction 75 to be a satisfying experience when it is finally delivered, and I'm not willing to compromise on that.

P.S. If you haven't already, check out my store, https://cannonkeys.com ! We recently launched and hope we have something you might like!
I'm more than willing to wait for a group buy when it comes to QC issues. I'm glad that you're doing all these prototypes before running it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline Moac

« Reply #282 on: Sun, 24 March 2019, 16:17:01 »
Hello everyone,

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Example of issues:
Show Image

Show Image

I'm more than willing to wait for a group buy when it comes to QC issues. I'm glad that you're doing all these prototypes before running it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
I think we all can agree with that , the design is on point and the quality control is just a matter of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline sozo

« Reply #283 on: Sun, 24 March 2019, 22:26:16 »
Hello everyone,

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Example of issues:
Show Image

Show Image

dang that sucks. Thanks for being transparent with the interest check people! Regardless, I'm in for this group buy. Your dedication to putting out the best possible product is amazing and I can't wait for this amazing board! GL with the new prototype, hopefully everything's up to par this time around

Offline upas

« Reply #284 on: Tue, 26 March 2019, 00:05:53 »
Took a couple of sound test videos:

Offline vicissitude

« Reply #285 on: Tue, 26 March 2019, 00:25:56 »
Nice sound.  :thumb:

Offline KevlarBear

« Reply #286 on: Tue, 26 March 2019, 01:09:48 »
The thunk of the encoder when it's pressed sounds so satisfying

Offline b4d_tR1p

« Reply #287 on: Tue, 26 March 2019, 04:36:23 »
Interesting

-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 3.1
GCS/CC d-(--)>---x s:-(--)>--- a C++++(++++)>++ UBLC++++(+++)$>++ P++ L+++++(+++++)>+++++ E---(---)>--- W+++(+++)>+++ N+++ o++ K-- w O M++ !V- PS+++(+++)>+++ PE+++(+++)>+++ Y+++(+++)>+++ PGP++ t+ 5 X+ R tv- b++ DI++++ D+++ G++++ e+++ h- r++ y+++
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

Offline gt1989

« Reply #288 on: Tue, 26 March 2019, 11:37:21 »
Any pictures of how the plate mounting looks, and is a FR4 plate option still planned?

Offline upas

« Reply #289 on: Tue, 26 March 2019, 13:27:33 »
Any pictures of how the plate mounting looks, and is a FR4 plate option still planned?

This is basically the way it will be mounted:
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=99959.msg2739730#msg2739730

Same as the Brutal60, but there are 12 potential mounting points instead of 6. You can check out the force displacement charts in the FAQ section of the first few posts.

FR4 plates will be add-on options, brass plate will come with the kit by default.

Offline cfiggis

« Reply #290 on: Tue, 26 March 2019, 14:08:49 »
Shame the quality wasn't up to snuff, but I'd rather wait to get an acceptable finished product. Keep it up, you've got a great product there!

Offline Telstar

« Reply #291 on: Tue, 26 March 2019, 16:05:46 »
There is only one thing I don't like and that is the right aligned usb port.

Offline bj

« Reply #292 on: Thu, 28 March 2019, 04:36:56 »
looking really nice dude, very keen on this once it goes live!

Offline upas

« Reply #293 on: Fri, 29 March 2019, 11:26:42 »
Hey guys,

I have another update! I've found a new factory to produce the board. This took much less time than I thought, so the group buy will likely open sometime in April!

I've placed an order for a sample, and it should be arriving in upcoming weeks.
Once the sample is confirmed good, I'll release some super secret details!

The weight design is finalized. You guys will all get to see it soon ;)

Offline thecyangiant

« Reply #294 on: Fri, 29 March 2019, 11:38:33 »
Hey guys,

I have another update! I've found a new factory to produce the board. This took much less time than I thought, so the group buy will likely open sometime in April!

Excellent! fingers crossed that this factory has less qc issues.

Offline farmisen

« Reply #295 on: Fri, 29 March 2019, 14:35:24 »
Is there any chance  to get a raw non anodized keyboard? Planning to cerakote it and I'd rather not have to have the anodization sandblasted off if I can save it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Offline jortzii

« Reply #296 on: Fri, 29 March 2019, 15:16:54 »
Hey guys,

Awesome! I’m nursing my wallet back to health after SA Vilebloom, GMK Metropolis, and some artisans...but I will be here for this!

Volcano660 | Satisfaction75 | Think6.5 | TGR Jane V2 CE | Preonic | IC Kira | Drop ALT

Offline blizzara01

« Reply #297 on: Fri, 29 March 2019, 15:27:04 »
Hey guys,

Excited for super secret details

Offline MrFurrior

« Reply #298 on: Fri, 05 April 2019, 13:45:13 »
Hey guys,

With the change in manufacturer are these still the colours you are hoping for? Really excited for this!

Offline skyyyy

« Reply #299 on: Fri, 05 April 2019, 15:26:24 »
So I'm pretty new to the mechanical keeb community, however I'm in love with this design. How much assembly knowledge will be needed to put it together?