Author Topic: SP PBT, or GMK ABS?  (Read 4236 times)

Offline typo

SP PBT, or GMK ABS?
« on: Wed, 11 March 2020, 21:26:31 »
Yes, at is again. Of course I find this stuff cheap. Well, depending on what you consider cheap. walie, feel free to hate on me.

Here is my dilemma. SP PBT: 1.4+MM, dyesub(it lasts on Topre), One color that I know of but I vastly prefer PBT although usually doubleshot but those are thinner.

GMK: ABS doubleshot, I hate shiny keys! Thus I always "pre shine" all keys for an uniform gloss look. Which is then fine with me. Many colors AFAIK. 1.5MM

Questions: Is that ABS so good that it is better than PBT? Or is it just a preference? They should both be Cherry profile? Is less than .10MM above 1.4MM a deal breaker? Does one generally just feel more solid and pleasing than the other? If so, which?

As usual I am not kidding around here. As soon as I get a few answers I will go order one or the other. I cannot divulge the prices because they are from a distributer. Yes, I actually order that much but that should be obvious already :) Thank you guys!

Offline typo

Re: SP PBT, or GMK ABS?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 12 March 2020, 00:31:45 »
Would a couple of people please kindly offer their opinion? My window of opportunity to get either at a "price" is going to close overnight. They are both set aside for me until the very early morning. Of course no one is in their office but he put a timer on it so I do not let other people know about it. Even though I am pretty sure he trusts me or he would not do it in the first place. He only did it because I have spent $$$ with his clients. Although, he did say if I need anything else.... I absolutely cannot go selling it behind his back though. Karma.

Offline heyitsqi

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 12 March 2020, 13:02:04 »
I'm not sure if SP (we are talking about signature plastics right?) does cherry OEM profile. SP is usually SA profile if I'm not mistaken. I've never heard of SP doing a OEM profile.

ABS vs PBT is personal preference IMHO when made well. Generally like you said, if you hate hate shine, go with PBT.

Offline typo

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 12 March 2020, 15:05:43 »
Thank you
That is exactly what I did at 5:00AM before my "deal" ran out. I am to anal for ABS. I thought about it. All my ABS sets are boxed up. What was I thinking? I mean I polish my wrist rest and case constantly. GMK honestly have a nicer feeling and a better sound. I actually have a few sets shined I will not use anymore. Than I tried to remember how long they took to shine. It was not years, it was months. So for a board I intend to use some I am happier with the PBT. They honestly were both wholesale but the Signature Plastics was even less. So that is good. The GMK had way more keys so it was more money. You are correct, SP is indeed not Cherry profile but it is spherical which I also like a lot. Any retro "cupped" key is good with me. Some people hate the grit of PBT. There is something for everyone luckily. Even in our very niche market.

Offline Polymer

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 12 March 2020, 17:08:32 »
Thank you
That is exactly what I did at 5:00AM before my "deal" ran out. I am to anal for ABS. I thought about it. All my ABS sets are boxed up. What was I thinking? I mean I polish my wrist rest and case constantly. GMK honestly have a nicer feeling and a better sound. I actually have a few sets shined I will not use anymore. Than I tried to remember how long they took to shine. It was not years, it was months. So for a board I intend to use some I am happier with the PBT. They honestly were both wholesale but the Signature Plastics was even less. So that is good. The GMK had way more keys so it was more money. You are correct, SP is indeed not Cherry profile but it is spherical which I also like a lot. Any retro "cupped" key is good with me. Some people hate the grit of PBT. There is something for everyone luckily. Even in our very niche market.

Was that really the only two options for you?  I mean, GMK is great but as you said..they shine which you don't seem to like so that's a no go..

When it comes to PBT, there are some really great dye subbed PBT out there...and in Cherry profile....and if you want some really great Doubleshot PBT, buy a Leopold PD full and just harvest the keys..they're great.  They're not quite Cherry profile but they basically are (the difference is really not noticeable). 

I thought you liked POM?  Why aren't you getting POM?

If you don't like shine but don't mind the slickness, they're a really good choice as well..

Offline typo

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 12 March 2020, 21:06:10 »
My really good set is by KAT. It was a lot of money. It was my only two choices because a distributer was doing me a favor and that is all he offered to me. I think all DS PBT max out at 1.4MM? I do like POM but good luck finding it outside of vintage Cherry pulls. Or(maybe) some Tai Hao. POM is not "shine" like ABS just slick.  Please tell me some good PBT  sets? I doubt any are better than my KAT. However my KAT is just all white(Milkshake). Once I got all the keys for 65% with tax and shipping and actually found open orders I was in over $400. There are good sets on Amazon for less than $200. They come with every key I need. I just am not sure they can make PBT too thick? anyways 1.4MM is not very bad. The KAT are like the Tai Hao. It depends on where you measure them but still higher than Tai Hao. Between 1.55MM and 1.75MM. So I guess very specialized companies can make it but you usually do not see more than 1.4MM. Correct me if I am wrong. I like the GMK redsuns(cheap) but I will never use them. So stupid purchase. I shall refrain. Isn't a Leopold expensive? What else? I would like some colors.

Offline walie

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 13 March 2020, 08:44:48 »
KAT Milkshake huh

Interesting how you already got a set.

Offline Polymer

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 13 March 2020, 09:22:01 »
My really good set is by KAT. It was a lot of money. It was my only two choices because a distributer was doing me a favor and that is all he offered to me. I think all DS PBT max out at 1.4MM? I do like POM but good luck finding it outside of vintage Cherry pulls. Or(maybe) some Tai Hao. POM is not "shine" like ABS just slick.  Please tell me some good PBT  sets? I doubt any are better than my KAT. However my KAT is just all white(Milkshake). Once I got all the keys for 65% with tax and shipping and actually found open orders I was in over $400. There are good sets on Amazon for less than $200. They come with every key I need. I just am not sure they can make PBT too thick? anyways 1.4MM is not very bad. The KAT are like the Tai Hao. It depends on where you measure them but still higher than Tai Hao. Between 1.55MM and 1.75MM. So I guess very specialized companies can make it but you usually do not see more than 1.4MM. Correct me if I am wrong. I like the GMK redsuns(cheap) but I will never use them. So stupid purchase. I shall refrain. Isn't a Leopold expensive? What else? I would like some colors.

Are you talking about the KAT Milkshake?  It was here and on other stores...But either way...

Recommendations...BSP PBT Dye subs are nice....Old School Cherry (Have to find used somewhere)...
Leopold keyboard would be 100ish...you can probably keep the keys and sell the board....

Offline typo

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 13 March 2020, 09:55:58 »
I see Leopold $179.00
Milk Shake had 3 runs already,
So get this. GMK is great because it is 1.8MM thick. It stops there. The workmanship is the pits. Crooked fonts, hazing, halos ETC. Sorry I got them again. I completely forgot. Just took some out. I think they stink IMO. YMMV. I have better ways to spend $200. Backlit by it's very nature must be thin on top. Which generally means thin skirts as well. Or not much light will go through. POM is 35% stronger. Look at my Tai Hao post today. Can you tell those from PBT? They are not all "jelly". Plus that would explain the non uniform thickness. POM is hard to work with. Yes, old Cherry POM is #1! I vastly prefer double shot. Avoid all the problems of Dyesub

Edit: oops I meant Signature Plastics not GMK. My bad. Tired, worked all night.
GMK only makes ABS of course. How many MM is BSP? Rather Get Cherry POM. I already have plenty though.
You cannot beat free! Especially for darn good caps!

« Last Edit: Fri, 13 March 2020, 10:08:58 by typo »

Offline Polymer

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 13 March 2020, 10:21:24 »
What types of problems do you have with Dye Subs????

I don't understand the jelly comment..POM is slick.  If you find one that isn't slick to the touch, that would be interesting.  That doesn't mean it doesn't have texture...They look like they do but they're very slippery...not shinned like ABS so rubbed so a super smooth plastic..but just slick..its like low friction across the surface.  It is both nice and not nice. 

You have a strange obsession with thickness on these caps...Good thickness can indicate it is probably a very solid keycap but it doesn't mean it is better...Topre PBT keycaps are VERY good..but not that thick...

If you have plenty of Cherry POM, how come you don't know how it feels to use them?  Based on your previous posts, you've said you've seen or maybe touched but not used them..

Offline Riverman

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 13 March 2020, 11:21:56 »
I've had a couple of newer Cherry G80 keyboards with POM keycaps.  There's no way you could confuse those with anything else.  They're very unique.  I kind of like typing on them, but the foamed white legends they use these days wear down and get dirty fairly quickly, and the legends are cheap-looking and not aligned very well.  For a company whose old keycaps are considered the gold standard by some, they've sure fallen a long ways.

Personally, I love my dye sub keycaps.  I have a couple of $40 sets from a Chinese Aliexpress seller, and they're nearly perfect.  They're thick, the legends look great, and they feel great to type on.  The only downside is that some of their color combinations are odd.  The one I have now looks like Varmilo's moonlight color scheme, except that the light grey keys are white, and the blue ones are much bolder, like Tiffany robin's egg blue.  I also have a set of Tai Hao PBT doubleshots that I'm typing on now.  They're nice, but grittier than what I'm used to.

Offline typo

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 13 March 2020, 11:56:06 »
I like the old Cherry DS POM. I think, not sure TAI HAO is the same. I certainly know the feel. They are both smooth. Not grippy like PBT. Nothing against cheap Dyesub, good value. GMK is overpriced. A lot of misaligned fonts ETC. YMMV. I don't care thick at all. I prefer backlit and those must be less than 1.4MM to be any good. Really less than 1.2MM is best. I know I often do not convey sense. I just get confused. It is just me.

Offline Polymer

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 13 March 2020, 17:12:17 »
Well you just said avoid the problems of Dye Sub...which to me the only problem is the lack of color combinations you can do with something like doubleshot...

But then doubleshot has its own issues....

To me they're the same quality wise...