Author Topic: [IC] KP69 - A budget build, gasket mounted, 69% with knob  (Read 9874 times)

Offline JackPikatea

[IC] KP69 - A budget build, gasket mounted, 69% with knob
« on: Wed, 23 March 2022, 12:24:10 »
Hi everyone! I've got a new keyboard I've been working on for about 9 months now and would love to share and get some feedback.

Pikatea Keyboard KP69
A budget build, 3D printed, gasket mounted, 69% keyboard with a knob.

Discord
Instagram

I have spent about 9 months working on this project. It went from a thru-hole kit to an assembled PCB kit, a few different mounting styles and finally I've settled on something that I think works really well and is cost effective.

Obviously the 3D Printed case design is the highlight of this board. I wanted a unique shaped board and I chose 3D printing because, 1. We print a lot and are very good at it, and 2. It's really the only way to make a board with this design in a cost effective way.

This keyboard has a bunch of different layout options. I really like 60% which is how I typically assemble this board (60% plus 6 extra macro keys) but with a split right shift, you could setup the board like a traditional 65% and only 3 macro keys. We will also add support for adding blockers in the bottom row and around the encoder knob if desired. All this will be configured on the product page. This board has a plate mounted knob. If you aren't aware, I've been making these macropads for about 2 years now so plate mounted knobs are kinda my thing.

Speaking of cost, this is aimed to be budget friendly so a kit without switches, stabs and caps would run $120 USD and if desired switches and or stabs can be added on for a reasonable price. I'm also offering assembly services for this board so a kit that is fully assembled would run around $210 USD. Custom blockers outside what is popular (Win, Ctrl, Alt) will run an extra $10 USD

The mounting style is gasket mounted with brackets. It's a mounting style that I have not seen before. The reason I chose this is because it allows the case to be printed in 1 piece unlike other 3D printed cases with bezels which are printed in 2 pieces. I think it's really nice for 3D printed cases since it hides everything and the prints don't have to be flimsy. It's gasket mounted with 2mm of silicone between each bracket and the case. A 1.5mm frosted acrylic back panel will be on the back (the prototypes show clear)

The main reason for this interest check is to clear up the last remaining details, get feedback, and gauge the community interest.

Specs

-3D printed in PLA at 0.3mm layer height in 1 piece on textured PEI
-2 case designs (cheese and shard)
-bottom row blockers on any keys desired
-gasket bracket mount
-FR4 Plate
-plate mounted knob
-soldered PCB or 0305 mil-max hot-swapped by me
-5° typing angle
-front face height 21mm with feet
-a whole bunch of layout options
-a whole bunch of colors
-target price is $120 USD for a kit without switches, stabs and keycaps
-manu, vendor, support - Pikatea

Estimated group buy dates and shipping times (these are only estimates and not set in stone)
- group buy opening May 2nd
- 200 units maximum (if the interest is there, we can purchase more printers and expand this number)
- shipping November 2022

Layouts

Photos

« Last Edit: Tue, 03 May 2022, 10:50:11 by JackPikatea »

Offline Evasive

Re: [IC] KP69 - A budget build, gasket mounted, 69% with knob
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 23 March 2022, 12:27:58 »
Nice

Offline DirtyGingy

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 28 March 2022, 04:52:36 »
the PCB is sort of the only thing that has me shying away. it seems alright, but I don't know about mill max as I've not tried it yet. And I don't know if I want to solder. I'll keep the board in mind though

Offline L0fi

• Fn row is only for Minecraft
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 28 March 2022, 15:44:42 »
Really like that red. And at $120, as a college student, I'm a big fan of this.

Offline NintendoNoNo

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 28 March 2022, 22:46:17 »
Absolutely love the looks of it, and I'll definitely be in for that price. I may have missed it (and apologies if so), but will it have a foam option?

Offline murasaki

• Formerly 'jota'
    • Mollecue Design
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 29 March 2022, 00:23:38 »
I really like the case design!

Offline JackPikatea

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 30 March 2022, 08:29:33 »
Absolutely love the looks of it, and I'll definitely be in for that price. I may have missed it (and apologies if so), but will it have a foam option?

No foam option