Author Topic: wireless minihack ver 2  (Read 11743 times)

Offline chimera15

wireless minihack ver 2
« on: Thu, 26 November 2009, 00:50:40 »
Since I've finished my ultimate keyboard, a converted Japanese hhk2 lite with blue alps, I'm pretty super happy with it, and have just about my fill of keyboards.  However, there's one step left to go..a wireless full function compact mechanical keyboard.

This is going to be my next and maybe final project, based on this board:

I'm not exactly sure what I want to do with it yet.  I basically want a wireless siig minitouch, but don't really want to pull apart a fully functional siig to do it.  I'd also like it to have real alps or some good quality switches, which I'm out of since I made my last hack.

I was also thinking that maybe it would be neat to make it like a  blue cherry board, since I've never had an mx cherry, and as far as I know other than the deck boards which are ridiculously expensive there are no cherry mx's in this format.  

Anyway, I'd be open to any suggestions.  The big difference between this board and my previous ones is that it will have function keys, so I can't just chop apart an old model f type alps board like I've done in the past.
« Last Edit: Thu, 26 November 2009, 00:51:12 by chimera15 »
Alps boards:
white real complicated: 1x modified siiig minitouch kb1903,  hhkb light2 english steampunk hack, wireless siig minitouch hack
white with rubber damper(cream)+clicky springs: 2x modified siig minitouch kb1903 1x modified siig minitouch kb1948
white fake simplified:   1x white smk-85, 1x Steampunk compact board hack
white real simplified: 1x unitek k-258
low profile: 1x mint m1242 in box
black: ultra mini wrist keyboard hack
blue: Japanese hhk2 lite hack, 1x siig minitouch pcb/doubleshot dc-2014 caps. kb1903, 1x modified kb1948 Siig minitouch
rainbow test boards:  mck-84sx

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
wireless minihack ver 2
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 26 November 2009, 13:39:32 »
I look at that PCB and think of Cherry MY switches. They are mechanical, press a copper contact down. But then that PCB seems to be tiny; how much space is there center to center on those contact pads?
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline chimera15

wireless minihack ver 2
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 26 November 2009, 13:56:50 »
Quote from: ricercar;136528
I look at that PCB and think of Cherry MY switches. They are mechanical, press a copper contact down. But then that PCB seems to be tiny; how much space is there center to center on those contact pads?

That won't matter, I'm going to wire it up like I did with my steampunk mod so it's full sized.

All I need is a self contained mechanical switch and something to hold them in place in a good format.
Alps boards:
white real complicated: 1x modified siiig minitouch kb1903,  hhkb light2 english steampunk hack, wireless siig minitouch hack
white with rubber damper(cream)+clicky springs: 2x modified siig minitouch kb1903 1x modified siig minitouch kb1948
blue: Japanese hhk2 lite hack, 1x siig minitouch pcb/doubleshot dc-2014 caps. kb1903, 1x modified kb1948 Siig minitouch

Offline chimera15

wireless minihack ver 2
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 29 November 2009, 16:04:41 »
I managed to win another siig minitouch.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180436170049&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Probably what I'll do is convert this board.  Take out the pcb, and use the switches and the holder/case, and just cram the mini pcb inside with a batterypack running outside mounted on the side or top of the keyboard somewhere.

I'll probably use the siig minitouch pcb to convert the scorpius m10 I have coming to a mini then.
Alps boards:

Offline chimera15

wireless minihack ver 2
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 17 December 2009, 10:41:18 »
I finally got the siig from ebay.  Took three weeks to get to me from Canada.  It's got really bad fakes in it that feel really horrible, so I'm going to have to reswitch the whole thing anyway.  This mod should be really awesome.
Alps boards:

Offline chimera15

wireless minihack ver 2
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 17 December 2009, 10:51:41 »
Hahaha look what I found when I turned it over.  Bob had this one at one point.  Cool sticker they had, I've gotten a few from him and never seen one with a sticker before.

Alps boards:

Offline chimera15

wireless minihack ver 2
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 17 December 2009, 11:13:36 »
This is probably why this one got a sticker.  It looks like Bob replaced 3 switches with real alps on this board.  

Cute little dust bunnies! (giggle)
Alps boards:

Offline chimera15

wireless minihack ver 2
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 17 December 2009, 12:18:56 »
Deswitched:
Went real fast, probably less than 15 minutes.

Fit test.  I had high hopes that I could just dump the mini board wireless board in there and there would be enough room, but it looks like I'm going to have to jack the holding plate up a bit in order for it to fit.

Arrangement test:  

They're all real complicated.  I don't have enough blue alps to do the whole board but really like blues.  I'll have to settle for this until I find another cheap donor board to make them all blues.  I hope this weighted arrangement with blues on the home row should work and feel ok.  Since I'm switching to dvorak I hope the slight difference in the spring weight will actually speed me up rather than feel bad.  All the main space, shift, enter, backspace, keys will be blue alps as well.
Alps boards:

Offline itlnstln

wireless minihack ver 2
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 17 December 2009, 12:21:35 »
I can't see the pics as they are blocked here at work, but I am thinking you could start by making all the letters blues, then expand out to the modifiers, spacebar, numbers, etc. until you transition the whole 'board.

Offline chimera15

wireless minihack ver 2
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 17 December 2009, 13:30:14 »
Quote from: ripster;143321
So I assume the Blue ALPS are slightly stiffer?

That's the way I feel right now.  There is a fair difference between my pure white complicated alps siig convert, and my full blue alps converted hhk, but I'm not sure if it's just a matter of other factors, like age/use of the switch, caps, or just my imagination or what.  If I'm able to feel the difference between the switches it will be with this board. ;)

It was pointed out in the blue vs white alps thread that one has a couple extra small coils in the spring, so there is a slight small difference there that could produce the small difference in what I'm thinking I'm feeling.
Alps boards:

Offline chimera15

wireless minihack ver 2
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 17 December 2009, 15:03:57 »
Pcb fully tinned.  This was one of the parts I was worried about because the pads were so small. Looks good though, double checked every one with a magnifying glass to make sure there are no shorts.

Flux = God

Alps boards:

Offline chimera15

wireless minihack ver 2
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 18 December 2009, 05:50:01 »
Pcb fully wired:

Switches all wired up:

Wired into battery pack:

This is where I cross my fingers, fire it up, and hope there are no shorts.  If there are it's going to be difficult to track down since it's a wireless it will just be impossible to pair, I'll have to track down any shorts with a continuity meter which is a major pain.
Alps boards:

Offline chimera15

wireless minihack ver 2
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 18 December 2009, 05:59:46 »
So no go the first time.  I turned it on, got the beacon to activate, but couldn't pair it, got to make sure there's no shorts now and nothing miswired, and all the switches on the number row at least are good....  This is going to be a pain.
Alps boards:

Offline chimera15

wireless minihack ver 2
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 18 December 2009, 06:19:35 »
Despite my precautions I found at least a dozen switches shorted.  This is going to be a pain.

I suppose it could be possible that just one or two are shorted and are affecting the matrix? hmm..
« Last Edit: Fri, 18 December 2009, 06:32:48 by chimera15 »
Alps boards:

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
wireless minihack ver 2
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 18 December 2009, 07:06:13 »
Quote from: chimera15;143422
Despite my precautions I found at least a dozen switches shorted.  This is going to be a pain.

I suppose it could be possible that just one or two are shorted and are affecting the matrix? hmm..

Well, the old ghosting problem can definitely inflate the number of closed switches you see... not by orders of magnitude, but definitely more than I'd like when hunting for shorted ones.
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline chimera15

wireless minihack ver 2
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 18 December 2009, 07:59:37 »
I fixed all the shorts, there were indeed less than I had diagnosed, so one short appeared to affect the others.   Probably around 5-6 shorts.

I tried it again and was able to pair it.  My first Fox jumped test showed a couple dead switches, but it's connected and working!!!  It's alive! hehe
« Last Edit: Fri, 18 December 2009, 08:09:02 by chimera15 »
Alps boards:

Offline chimera15

wireless minihack ver 2
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 18 December 2009, 09:52:09 »
One completely functional complicated alps bluetooth siig minitouch! Yay!

It's not quite perfect cause the case can't be screwed together all the way, but it's working! ;)

A lot of the keys are transposed, like the blank key is now the connect/disconnect key.  The right alt and control keys are now page up/page down.  The right shift is the home key, since the mini board doesn't have a function key, it's not exact, but it's really close.

The function key is now a windows key. lol

The bluetooth board seems to be really nice.  It doesn't time out fast like the one I did based on the igo keyboard.  That board seemed like it timed out if I left it sit for a minute which really sucked.
« Last Edit: Fri, 18 December 2009, 10:01:21 by chimera15 »
Alps boards:

Offline chimera15

wireless minihack ver 2
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 18 December 2009, 10:16:31 »
Quote from: ripster;143470
Hey that's cool.  Congrats!!  I like the heavy duty on/off switch too.  One of my pet peeves is the crappy on/off switches they use today for most consumer devices.

I'd like to hear what you think about the Blue ALPS vs White after you've used it for a while.

Yeah I'm going to do some typing tests on it.  So far I haven't noticed much difference just doing a few quick sentence tests to check function.
Alps boards:

Offline chimera15

wireless minihack ver 2
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 18 December 2009, 10:36:16 »
So far I can't tell much difference between the keys, or even my standard complicated alps and this one.  They're pretty much the same. There isn't a huge difference between them like there is on the hhk and my siig.  Probably what I feel as the difference between the hhk hack and the siig has to do more with other factors, like the layout of the old style f type which is slightly different than the siig, or the double shot caps, than the switch itself.  

Did some good 100wpm tests on it.  It's a nice board.  It's basically the same as my other complicated siig accept it's wireless. ;)  No timeout trouble like my igo hack either at all.  I let it sit for 15 minutes, came back to it and it was still good to go.  Awesome board... really happy. ;)
« Last Edit: Fri, 18 December 2009, 10:47:42 by chimera15 »
Alps boards:

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
wireless minihack ver 2
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 28 December 2009, 14:47:52 »
Wireless! Neat!

Just to clarify so I understand exactly what you did:

You removed the wireless keyboard PCB (and stuff) and wired each switch on the mechanical board to each pad on the wireless PCB. Then crammed the whole mess into the mechanical board case. Right? So you give up any "features/electronics" on the mechanical board, and have all the "features/electronics" from the wireless board. I saw the link to Ebay for the wireless board you posted.
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline chimera15

wireless minihack ver 2
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 28 December 2009, 15:19:56 »
Quote from: input nirvana;145985
Wireless! Neat!

Just to clarify so I understand exactly what you did:

You removed the wireless keyboard PCB (and stuff) and wired each switch on the mechanical board to each pad on the wireless PCB. Then crammed the whole mess into the mechanical board case. Right? So you give up any "features/electronics" on the mechanical board, and have all the "features/electronics" from the wireless board. I saw the link to Ebay for the wireless board you posted.

yes. ;)
Alps boards:

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
wireless minihack ver 2
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 28 December 2009, 15:26:33 »
Got it. It is easy in a technical/engineering sense. Cool job.

I want to make the Kinesis Contoured Split project wireless, but retain whatever functionality the Kinesis has. Webwits Wireless Wonder Board is definitely over the top (in a good way), so your idea is appealing. But...I just want to add the Bluetooth functionality. Did you consider just using the Bluetooth portion, or is it built directly into the main PCB? That's my guess.
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline martinmeijerink

• http://www.kelvyn.nl
wireless minihack ver 2
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 28 December 2009, 17:25:01 »
Nice job!

Offline InSanCen

wireless minihack ver 2
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 28 December 2009, 18:19:33 »
You just know that I am now going to have to do this.

Oh dear... another Keyboard project for the other half to worry about. I think I'll be practically living on my Soldering Iron for a few weeks when I get all the parts together for my 2 planned Mods.
Currently Using :- IBM M13 1996, Black :
Currently Own :- 1391406 1989 & 1990 : AT Model F 1985 : Boscom 122 (Black) : G80-3000 : G80-1800 (x2) : Wang 724 : G81-8000LPBGB (Card Reader, MY) : Unitek : AT102W : TVS Gold :
Project\'s :- Wang 724 Pink-->White Clicky : USB Model M : IBM LPFK :
Pointing stuff :- Logitech MX-518 : I-One Lynx R-15 Trackball : M13 Nipple : Microsoft Basic Optical\'s
:

Offline chimera15

wireless minihack ver 2
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 28 December 2009, 20:33:44 »
Quote from: input nirvana;145994
Got it. It is easy in a technical/engineering sense. Cool job.

I want to make the Kinesis Contoured Split project wireless, but retain whatever functionality the Kinesis has. Webwits Wireless Wonder Board is definitely over the top (in a good way), so your idea is appealing. But...I just want to add the Bluetooth functionality. Did you consider just using the Bluetooth portion, or is it built directly into the main PCB? That's my guess.

Yeah, the wireless/chip parts are on the underside of the pcb, I couldn't imagine pulling it off and using it any any way that would be worthwile...  I'd have to redo the matrix. This was easy because you don't have to trace the matrix.
Alps boards: