Author Topic: DSA homing key profile and texture  (Read 4042 times)

Offline madik

DSA homing key profile and texture
« on: Wed, 27 August 2014, 06:14:54 »
Homing keys on my blank Ergodox kit from SP has 2 homing keys but they kind of stands out a lot from the other keys. First of all the angled sides are more convex (or bugling, gibbous) and simply fatter than the other keys. And the 2nd thing i dont like about homing keys is the different texture of the concave top keycap faces. Texture of other keys is much more abrasive. Homing keys textures are just too smooth. This might be just a different batch or something.
Anyone else noticed it?

Offline tbc

Re: DSA homing key profile and texture
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 28 August 2014, 00:41:19 »
the homing key is obviously a different mould.  surface texture is a result of the mould moreso than the material.

for w/e reason, they didn't match the textures between the molds.

the mod keys have a different texture if you pay attention.
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline DamienG

• DamienG
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 28 August 2014, 00:44:56 »
Yeah I'm not a fan of the DSA home keys. Give me a regular key with a small bar along the bottom any day.

[)amien

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 28 August 2014, 01:20:27 »
There is also a DSA key with "homing bump", but I guess it is in the middle like on numpad-5.

Otherwise, I think the greatest omission in DSA is the lack of ISO Enter keys. Even a 2.25×2 key surface with a tab on the top/left would have been OK.

Offline madik

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 28 August 2014, 05:44:22 »
the homing key is obviously a different mould.  surface texture is a result of the mould moreso than the material.

for w/e reason, they didn't match the textures between the molds.

the mod keys have a different texture if you pay attention.

Yeah different mould for sure. The different shape is not that big issue. The texture is the most problematic part. I think that my modifier keys are fine and have the same texture as the 1u keys, but i have just the ergodox keys.
I guess they have troubles with maintaining the quality of the keycaps. Its different from mould to mold..

I was looking at some pictures of keyboard with Granite keycap set and the textures on 1u keys and homing keys looked the same.
http://deskthority.net/resources/image/14265

My homing keys are visibly smoother. I will try to do some pictures.
« Last Edit: Thu, 28 August 2014, 06:16:41 by madik »