geekhack Projects > Making Stuff Together!

Weakening Springs in Switch ? - Gaming focused keyboard

<< < (2/4) > >>

Tainado:

--- Quote from: fpazos on Tue, 04 May 2021, 02:11:27 ---Hi! Just remembered that you can find some strange kailh chocs on Aliexpress. There is one lineal 25g. Replacing a switch is quite easy for someone a bit knowledge on ironing.
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mOdAKHr

This one is 35g
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mPTWqWZ

Also. There aren't significant differences between keyboards controllers frequencies. Not even for e sports. There are more significant things as having a 240hz screen, most common controllers have 16000hz, that doesnt mean that every cycle recognize and send the keypress but differences on this could be of few miliseconds.

--- End quote ---

THank you ! I didnt know about that 25gram

About the latency , you're right . I have done some research , for 99% of player , this wont be matter . Just that there is a voice in the back of my head tells me to get the best possible so I wont have any thing to blame on when losing lol .

But honestly , good processing like the K65 Mini with low profile switch , short travel at 25gram should be good :)

nevin:

--- Quote ---THank you ! I didnt know about that 25gram

--- End quote ---

if you go too light you're really going to have to watch resting your fingers. ... and at that weight & linear, you won't be able to. i see lots of accidental keystrokes going that light.

Tainado:

--- Quote from: nevin on Tue, 04 May 2021, 04:06:46 ---
--- Quote ---Also. There aren't significant differences between keyboards controllers frequencies. Not even for e sports. There are more significant things as having a 240hz screen, most common controllers have 16000hz, that doesnt mean that every cycle recognize and send the keypress but differences on this could be of few miliseconds.
--- End quote ---

yeah, latency shouldn't be an issue with any hobby/custom keyboard. the only time it may be an issue, is if it's wireless, and there aren't to many wireless QMK compatible boards out there.

out of curiosity... what form factor are you using? full size, tkl, 60%, other?

--- End quote ---

Im on wired pretty much all the time :)

Im on 75% at the moment , smaller the better for me. I used to be on Realforce TKL but I am really pushing it with that size . I need more space for mouse movement .

Tainado:

--- Quote from: nevin on Tue, 04 May 2021, 04:11:38 ---
--- Quote ---THank you ! I didnt know about that 25gram

--- End quote ---

if you go too light you're really going to have to watch resting your fingers. ... and at that weight & linear, you won't be able to. i see lots of accidental keystrokes going that light.

--- End quote ---

THat's good point ! I have a Niz Plum @ 35gram for work , I do sometimes rest my fingering accidentally when in reading on screen .

nevin:

--- Quote ---THat's good point ! I have a Niz Plum @ 35gram for work , I do sometimes rest my fingering accidentally when in reading on screen .
--- End quote ---

that's topre as well, so, 35 & topre (tactile) means actuation is probably like 45-50g which is a big difference from 35g linear actuation, or even 25g linear. the tactility adds to the spring pressure until activation.

i'd suggest getting an inexpensive mx keyboard to experiment with the endless array of mx switches & parts. there are a number of hotswap boards out there. or you could even just build a set of pcb's (without plate or case) from a place like keeb.io which will leave the switch totally open to be experimented with until you find something you like. if you go plateless or use plates that support switchtop opening you can change every part of the switch minus the bottom housing without desoldering anything. though this does not work with most kailh/outemu switches because they have one long clip on either side instead of 2 little clips  like most cherry/gateron variants.
- there are choc (low profile) boards & kits out there as well but there's a lot less options at this point than mx
- there are a couple things you can do to limit the travel of mx swithces
- some mx switches are designed with a higher or lower actuation points by how the legs on the stem are designed (this is the part that touches the contact leaves in the switch)

if you really want room for your mouse you could go with a split keyboard, and only use the one half when gaming, you could also setup a layer that's specific to your gaming with all your shortcuts/commands right there, turning your "keyboard" into a "gaming pad"

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version