Author Topic: [IC] New production run of Elmo AEK II USB aek2_usb PCBs boards for AEKII  (Read 11297 times)

Offline linuxleah

Thanks to posts in https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=94144.50 alerting me to the existence of Elmo's excellent AEK II USB boards (https://github.com/kb-elmo/aek2_usb), I am now getting another run of these boards made.

The replacement PCBs will be BLUE (Elmo's original run were black) and RoHS compliant.

Costs will be:
* Bare board: $9.83 plus actual shipping. This is at-cost to what I pay. (This includes NO components, you bring your own)
* Full DIY kit: $24.70 plus actual shipping. This includes ALL required components— the microcontroller, socket, diodes, resistors, caps, etc. Includes everything else on the parts list from https://github.com/kb-elmo/aek2_usb. Keyswitches and keycaps NOT included, obviously!)

Quantity for the first run is limited to 25.

I am also enquiring with a local PCB manufacturer about pricing for pre-assembled boards with all the diodes etc. already soldered on for you; just add keycaps. This will be hella posh and priced accordingly. It may prove too expensive to be worth doing.

UPDATE: If you want to record your interest in one or more of these boards, please fill out this form! https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdZv0mbfkkH6BeQkU43G1b9p5FE97ppBlUwAV_HLBnr3wlVlA/viewform

UPDATE 2: Boards are IN PRODUCTION!

UPDATE 3: Posted bill of materials for board kits. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1xIoi1NY4xEUkBVAmCkfbwOEND9K612d9HyyrWwcvM5A/edit#gid=0

UPDATE 4: Boards SHIPPED! ETA Tuesday, Jun 8.

UPDATE 5: 21 of the 25 boards are tentatively spoken for! (18 from form respondents; I'm keeping 3). If you're interested, please get your input in NOW before all 25 are spoken for! Form is at: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdZv0mbfkkH6BeQkU43G1b9p5FE97ppBlUwAV_HLBnr3wlVlA/viewform

UPDATE 6: BOARDS HAVE ARRIVED! Still waiting on some of the kit parts, then will open purchases to people who've responded to the form above.

UPDATE 7 (Friday, Jun 11, 2021): ALL THE KIT PARTS ARE IN! Emailing the 20 respondents to the Google Docs form above to collect payment and pre-shipping info.

UPDATE 8: All the kits that have been paid for have been shipped! Once it's been confirmed that none were lost in the mail, excess boards will be made available for purchase at-cost.

UPDATE 9: Build guide (still being finalised) posted at https://docs.google.com/document/d/19sqwCu7ACE26SjBONydI9nCl92Ab2S-r_NPaC7f-ITk/edit :)

UPDATE 10 (Monday, Sep 20, 2021): Second run (green!) PCBs are now available; interest check at https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=114675.0 !
« Last Edit: Tue, 21 September 2021, 00:45:45 by linuxleah »

Offline linuxleah

Update: Order placed!  ;D

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
May be interested - is this cost just for the bare PCB -- no diodes, resistors/capacitors, controller, LEDs, etc?

Offline linuxleah

Yeah, just bare PCB.

I suspect it'll cost a small fortune to get pre-assembled boards. Buuuuuut I'm going to ask my local board manufacturers anyways.

Offline nevin

a kit with the bare board and all needed components would be great. they're all through hole so wouldn't be hard to assemble (no smd components)

i'd probably be in for one kit depending on final price and will pass this on to a couple apple friends as well.
Keeb.io Viterbi, Apple m0110, Apple m0120, Apple m0110a, Apple 658-4081, Apple M1242, Apple AEK II, MK96, GH60/Pure, Cherry g84-4100, Adesso AKP-220B, Magicforce 68

Offline armintehgreat

I def am interested in this, have an AEK with me that I am keen on rebuilding and this would be great  :thumb:

Offline OneWithNothing

I'd like to be included on this purchase. Will you post a link to a Google sheet or something? Thanks!
"When nothing remains, everything is equally possible."

Offline armintehgreat

Great! Filled it out  :D

Offline ScarletSwordfish

I am interested in this. My AEK Split project hasn't gone as I had hoped, and the original PCB from the donor board is knackered, so it would be nice if I could return the caps and switches from whence they came and make the board whole and working again.

Offline linuxleah

Update: Just approved the production after confirming it's identical to Elmo's original run (except BLUE)! Excited!

Offline linuxleah

Update: I have posted the proposed parts list for the kits at:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1xIoi1NY4xEUkBVAmCkfbwOEND9K612d9HyyrWwcvM5A/edit#gid=0

REQUESTING REVIEW PLEASE! In general, I am fairly confident that I've chosen good parts, but I could use some more eyes on the proposed bill of materials.

This is all based on the parts list from Elmo's github at https://github.com/kb-elmo/aek2_usb (Where relevant, I referenced Elmo's posted photos to make sure the parts I chose matched the orientation and general design; e.g. that the JST connector has to mount to the board at a 90-degree angle).

With these parts, I would charge $30 + actual shipping for a complete "Assemble It Yourself" kit + board. (I'll be paying just under $15 per kit to acquire the whole load of parts, plus ~$5 for my time counting out all those hundreds of tiny parts, plus $9.83 for the board, ~= $30).

Not bad!
« Last Edit: Fri, 28 May 2021, 19:08:27 by linuxleah »

Offline nevin

PERFECT! Sounds wonderful.
Keeb.io Viterbi, Apple m0110, Apple m0120, Apple m0110a, Apple 658-4081, Apple M1242, Apple AEK II, MK96, GH60/Pure, Cherry g84-4100, Adesso AKP-220B, Magicforce 68

Offline jagger27

• ne 1.5U supers???
I’m in for at least one kit.

Offline armintehgreat

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1xIoi1NY4xEUkBVAmCkfbwOEND9K612d9HyyrWwcvM5A/edit#gid=0

REQUESTING REVIEW PLEASE! In general, I am fairly confident that I've chosen good parts, but I could use some more eyes on the proposed bill of materials.

This is all based on the parts list from Elmo's github at https://github.com/kb-elmo/aek2_usb (Where relevant, I referenced Elmo's posted photos to make sure the parts I chose matched the orientation and general design; e.g. that the JST connector has to mount to the board at a 90-degree angle).

With these parts, I would charge $30 + actual shipping for a complete "Assemble It Yourself" kit + board. (I'll be paying just under $15 per kit to acquire the whole load of parts, plus ~$5 for my time counting out all those hundreds of tiny parts, plus $9.83 for the board, ~= $30).

Not bad!

Looked through the list, and to my eyes it looks good-- though admittedly its been a while since I have done any work looking into through hole components but these seem pretty standard. :cool:

Offline ZyBeR

Interesting, I might order one :)

Offline linuxleah

UPDATE: Boards SHIPPED! ETA Tuesday, Jun 8.

Offline catamscott

looks awesome, i've got a practically NIB AEK II that i'd love to rebuild with this

Offline linuxleah

UPDATE: 21 of the 25 boards are tentatively spoken for! (18 from form respondents; I'm keeping 3). If you're interested, please get your input in NOW before all 25 are spoken for! Form is at: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdZv0mbfkkH6BeQkU43G1b9p5FE97ppBlUwAV_HLBnr3wlVlA/viewform

Offline elmo

• Hello I like keyboards
    • Elmo's keyboards

Not bad!

Hi there :)

Most of the parts in the list are correct.
However some aren't quite the right ones.

The parts that should get changed are:

(Don't get confused by the product pictures on Octopart. They are mostly just placeholders and often times wrong)

GLWGB! :D
« Last Edit: Thu, 03 June 2021, 06:59:12 by elmo »

Offline linuxleah

Awesome! I will order the replacement parts. Price of the kit will remain the same; I'll chalk this up to my own stupid error and either find a way to return/exchange the parts, or just keep em for other projects.

Offline linuxleah

Ordered replacement parts. Updated bill of materials: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1xIoi1NY4xEUkBVAmCkfbwOEND9K612d9HyyrWwcvM5A/edit#gid=1152068506

(Note "Final" tab; changed parts are highlighted in yellow)

Thanks again to Elmo for his feedback!!! And, of course, for designing this beautiful board in the first place!  :D

Offline nevin

great.
thanks @linuxleah & @elmo

Offline linuxleah

Update: ETA for bare boards Tuesday. Updated spreadsheet of parts (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1xIoi1NY4xEUkBVAmCkfbwOEND9K612d9HyyrWwcvM5A/edit#gid=1152068506) with on-hand status of parts. Some have arrived; others have not yet arrived.

Hopefully we should be ready to collect moneys and ship kits by EOW next week.

Preferred payment method will be Paypal (you will have to add a few percent extra to compensate for Paypal fees on my end).

Offline nevin

awesome.
Preferred payment method will be Paypal (you will have to add a few percent extra to compensate for Paypal fees on my end).
...as expected. all good.
thanks again!

Offline linuxleah

BOARDS ARE HERE! Still waiting on kit parts. Should have the kits ready to ship within a week.

Here are some teaser photos. That "pear x Elmo" logo is so shiny!

Offline nevin

nice!

Offline linuxleah

UPDATE: Just one shipment to go before we have all the parts for the kits... and it's ETA today!

Another update, but not so fun: The cost for a pre-assembled board would be.......... high.

On top of the $24.70 for the board and components, the assembler would charge us a minimum of $157.08 per board to assemble them, and that's if *20* of us opt for this service. And this is the CHEAPER of the two services I contacted. The others would be over $200 per board.

If we want 10 boards assembled, the cost increases to $175.37 per. (See attachment.)

Is anyone interested in this service, given the high cost involved?

Offline nevin

no, not interested. if it was an smd controller that might be an issue, but this is all through hole, so shouldn't be bad at all to put together.

i'm not any of the known builders, but i'd offer to do the components if any of the buyers are not confident they could complete the task (supporting the apple fans however i can).
of course, only after i put mine together & test, since i have not built this specific board before. don't know what would be fare, plus you'd have the shipping back & forth from wherever they are located.

Offline linuxleah

Thanks for offering, nevin! :)

I'd offer too, but my soldering skills aren't the best. (They are "adequate" at best)

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
looks awesome, i've got a practically NIB AEK II that i'd love to rebuild with this

Curious what would be the reason for rebuilding a good condition board would be.  Just for modern connectivity?

Offline nevin

yeah, you can do most with hasu's adb converter, but there are a couple snafu's with the original pcbs... you can't differentiate left from right on some of the modifiers, ....they are electrically the same switch.

plus, a little cleaner/simpler with cables etc, unless you were going to build the converter into the case which many have done.

and any full size qmk compatible pcb is more than welcome as there are not many out there.

Offline Arcoril

Yikes, at that price I'd definitely assemble the board myself. But you for looking into it!

Offline catamscott

Curious what would be the reason for rebuilding a good condition board would be.  Just for modern connectivity?

more or less, i prefer orange alps to damped cream so i was planning on rebuilding with those and figured i might as well use a brand new pcb. that said it probably makes more sense to try and get my hands on an extra plate so i can keep the original assembly intact

Offline nevin

i may have one i could part with, would want to keep the stabs though  ... probably have a couple parts laying around that should go to a new home.

Offline linuxleah

Ladies and gentlebeings, the kits are READY TO SHIP!

I will be emailing everyone who responded to the Google Docs form through today— 20 respondents, though one seems to be a repeat (so, probably 19).

Kit contents are attached. You get what's listed in the "Qty Per Kit" column on https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1xIoi1NY4xEUkBVAmCkfbwOEND9K612d9HyyrWwcvM5A/edit#gid=1152068506. That is, the bare board, plus all the following parts:

1   ATmega32A 40 pin DIP (32L works too)
1   40 pin DIP socket
1   2x3 pin header 2.54mm (for ISP flashing)
1   JST PH 2mm 4pin connector
1   ... + JST cable for above
1   USB breakout PCB
1   500 mA polyfuse
2   6mm momentary push buttons
1   16 MHz quartz crystal
1   4.7 uF electrolytic capacitor
2   100 nF ceramic disk capacitor
2   22 pF ceramic disk capacitor
1   10 kΩ resistor
2   68 Ω resistor
4   1.5 kΩ resistor
3   5mm LED (for the lock indicators) - BLUE option
3   ...WHITE option
2   3.6 V zener diode (DO-35 BZX55C3V6)
105   universal switching diode (DO-35 1N4148)

...plus 5 or 6 spare diodes.

I will be emailing everyone who responded to the form with the following questions:

1) How many BARE BOARDS do you want ($9.83 per, limit 2 per person)
2) How many FULL DIY KITS do you want? ($24.70 per, limit 2 per person)
3) What country are you located in?
4) What is your zipcode or postcode?

I will then send you an invoice via PayPal for the boards/kits and actual shipping costs.

Everyone will have through 11:59:59pm PDT (UTC-7) on June 30 (so, end of month) to pay the invoice. After that, I will open up any boards/kits not yet spoken for to a group buy.

Offsite backup of the kit content images (doubles as a handy component identifying guide for some of the resistors and caps): https://imgur.com/a/HVxeMiB

If you have not received an email within the next 24 hours, please Message me here. You can also reach me via email at linuxleah (at) gmail (dot com).

« Last Edit: Sat, 12 June 2021, 00:16:13 by linuxleah »

Offline linuxleah

Sent out all the emails. Whew! Everyone who expressed interest on the Google form, please check your inbox. If you have not received a message, message me here, or hit me up via email at linuxleah (at) gmail (dot com)

Offline linuxleah

Ordered the shipping supplies too. My spouse and I are experienced eBay sellers; these will come WELL packaged.

Offline linuxleah

Update: 12 of the 25 boards claimed and fully paid! (3 by me, 9 by others)

Get in your payments if you want in on this run.

If (when) these sell out, I may do a second run. The second run would be identical, but with GREEN boards instead of blue. I'd probably wait 6-12 months before the next run.

Offline linuxleah

Update: I have assembled the first of my boards, and I can confirm that they work great! Plus a bonus shot of my purpose built ROM flasher. Looks incredibly janky but works great.

Offline nevin

NICE!
absolutely nothing wrong with function over form.
thanks again!

Offline linuxleah

Update: Assembled the component kits, now packaging boards and kits for shipping! If you paid you should be receiving a tracking number by tomorrow. (There was one payment that was still pending from a person in the UK; that one may get a tracking number a day or so later.)

By the time you receive your board, I will have posted assembly notes based on my own experiences building these boards… As well as an additional means of controlling the board with a Teensy! (if you want to attempt this route, order a Teensy++ 2.0. and be sure that you have a spare Mini USB (NOT micro!) cable to disassemble for parts.)

Offline nevin

thanks for the update.

Offline linuxleah

thanks for the update.

Not a prob! I see your name on the list, btw; you should be getting a tracking # within an hour or three :)

Offline nevin

oh, it's fine. no rush. mine isn't even totally apart yet.

...btw, communication on your end has been excellent.

Offline linuxleah

Thanks! I aim to please.  ;D

Offline linuxleah

Whew! That’s a lot of boxes. My cart overfloweth.

If you bought a board and have not yet received a notice via PayPal that your item has shipped, email me (linuxleah at gmail dot com).

Also pictured: With every board, I’m including a little Elmo head sticker, in case you want to tag your PCB or keeb. It’s Elmo’s board, after all!

IF YOU MISSED OUT ON THIS ROUND OF BOARDS: Good news, another run of 25 is already in fabrication! That round of boards will be green, rather than the blue of this run. (I will post a group buy link when they’re here. Like this run, they will be sold at cost.)

Everyone who wants a modern USB PCB in this fantastic keyboard should be able to get one, and I’m glad to be able to help everyone obtain such boards.

Offline nevin

GOT MINE! YAY!

would love to start it this weekend, but probably won't get to it till next weekend.

thanks again @linuxleah

Offline linuxleah

No probs!

I should have the assembly guide up later today.

Offline nevin

oh, no worries. i wasn't pushing for that. board is very clearly labeled what goes where.