Author Topic: Incredibly wobbly stab stems  (Read 1442 times)

Offline fomby

Incredibly wobbly stab stems
« on: Wed, 27 October 2021, 10:15:18 »
Hi, I am in the middle of building my first keyboard and ran into an issue. The stems of my Everglide V2 stabs are incredibly wobbly, to the point that the stems pop out of the keycap.

Have I done something wrong assembling them (I followed this guide), is it a manufacturing fault or should they be that way?

There is also a quite large gap between the stem and the housing. Is this normal?

I've tried to search for others having the same issue, but cannot find anything. Would appreciate advice :)

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

• buck buck, cluck cluck, squawk squawk
Incredibly wobbly stab stems
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 27 October 2021, 10:21:32 »
Ooh, that does not look good, I haven’t ever really seen this problem before, everglide stabs being the same as durocks I would assume them to be relatively good.

Might it be a warped keycap thing, that is what comes to mind at first when it comes to this problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: Wed, 27 October 2021, 10:23:20 by MIGHTY CHICKEN »

Offline fomby

Re: Incredibly wobbly stab stems
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 27 October 2021, 10:36:50 »
The keycap in the video is from my current keyboard, a K95. I'm thinking that since the keycap works just fine there that shouldn't be the issue. Nevertheless, my new keycaps are hopefully arriving tomorrow, so I'll update then.

Also, is the gap normal? I think it's around a millimeter.

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

• buck buck, cluck cluck, squawk squawk
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 27 October 2021, 12:30:20 »
I don’t have stabs right in me to check, but it does look bigger than I would think it be? I have some various stabs I can look at when I go home to check

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline fomby

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 31 October 2021, 17:02:06 »
A bit of an overdue update, but an update nonetheless.

My new keycaps arrived, and you were right. There is virtually no play between the stabs' and the new keycaps' stems. As for the gap, it still creates some horizontal wiggle-room, but I assume that is normal.

The stabs did rattle with the new keycaps as well, which I fixed with the holee mod.