Author Topic: Getting first mechanical keyboard. Some Questions about WASD  (Read 2147 times)

Offline Scott102

Getting first mechanical keyboard. Some Questions about WASD
« on: Sun, 26 September 2021, 06:16:37 »
Hi,

I am tired of my Logitech K120 where certain keys are so mushy, I have to slam my finger to move between Excel cells among other things.

I was browsing about WASD subreddit, and I see very contradictory opinions about the brand.

I do have some questions though:

What is Anodized mean in terms of the keyboard option? Is it worth it?

I saw a lot of people say that the V2 have think keycap issues? But I don't really comprehend what people mean by that.

Is that still a problem in the V3 Keyboard?

I saw some people recommend you buy the keyboard but get caps from elsewhere. How does that work? Does the board come with the switches pre built in, and I have to get caps elsewhere to just pop them in?

What is your overall opinion of the V3 keyboard from WASD? I'm a gamer, but I do other things too, and I like the more traditional minimalist look that isn't flashy. But I see some people say great build quality, but could be better if you are willing to pay for custom elsewhere, but other people say to avoid WASD? As long as the quality is good for the price I'm buying and the machine perform as describe, I would be happy with it.

Offline aerOcraft

Re: Getting first mechanical keyboard. Some Questions about WASD
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 29 September 2021, 00:54:23 »
Don't. My opinion which will likely be shared by most, if not all, is don't get a WASD. It's great if you have zero interest in really diving into this hobby, but I would assume anyone who found their way to GH and posted on here instead of on Reddit exclusively has at least some interest in building their own computer. But if that isn't the case, then I would say it is no different from any other entry mechanical keyboard which is what I would call anything made by a brand like Logitech, Corsair, Ducky, Filco, Das Keyboard, Leopold, Razer. Chyrosran22 does a lot of reviews of non-custom keyboards and I would browse his channel and even message him after you do that if you have any questions. He's a super rad dude and is mega helpful and knowledgeable in that pre-built and old school part of the community. Otherwise just build your own. The quality ceiling is so much higher for custom builds.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 01 October 2021, 04:03:00 »
WASD keyboards used to be middle of the road.  Their keycaps were always a bit meh, but they used to be one of the few places that let you customise layout and colour across the board in a set - most keycap places don't do that.

They also developed the CODE keyboard - I have a CODE with MX clears and it hasn't missed a beat, although a couple of the ABS keycaps costings are staring to wear a bit thin.

Anodising is just putting an extra layer on the keyboard case or plate, sometimes in a different colour.  Go for it if you don't want just a black case.

There are lots of choices for keycaps these days - GMK keycaps are great (but still ABS and will shine over time).  Uncountable PBT sets are available in all colours and designs these days - an easy swap as WASD keyboards have a standard layout.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 01 October 2021, 12:14:57 »
Hi,

I am tired of my Logitech K120 where certain keys are so mushy, I have to slam my finger to move between Excel cells among other things.

Congratulations on escaping the Logitech K120.

The WASD isn't much discussed in the modding community anymore. IIRC it's comparable in typing experience to a Filco Majestouch, although I'm not sure if it's built as solid.

One common recommendation that makes sense in your case is a Leopold FC750 / FC900 PD. It's a conservative, standard layout and it's built very solid. The keycaps are considered by many as the best-in-class.

Keycaps should not be a determining factor in your purchase because, as you hinted at, keycaps are replaceable. All MX keyboards use MX-mount for their keycaps. This means you can just pull off the keycaps with a keycap puller and replace them with new keycaps.

What kind of switches are you planning to get? Ducky Shine 7 and One Two keyboards of recent vintage had good MX Browns in them, and Varmilo sometimes does as well. For MX Blue or MX Clear, I'm not sure if there are differences in batches.

Truth is, even a basic custom keyboard can be made to feel and sound better than a factory keyboard. In my experience, all factory keyboards, even the 'high-end,' are mediocre at best in fit-and-finish. Decent designs, but the lubing, tightening, dampening etc... are all questionable. And factory Cherry switches leave a lot to be desired.

But I guess you have to start somewhere. Have you considered Logitech's high-end rubber-dome and scissor-switches, by any chance?

Offline aerOcraft

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 05 October 2021, 15:00:04 »

Truth is, even a basic custom keyboard can be made to feel and sound better than a factory keyboard. In my experience, all factory keyboards, even the 'high-end,' are mediocre at best in fit-and-finish.

This. You can get an ID80 and even though it doesn't feel that good in comparison to other custom keyboards, it is still vastly better than any factory keyboard including WASD. I even solved its most notorious complaint which is the sound by creating custom cut butyl sheets and adhering them to the case and the PCB. The Tofu is a tray mount which is pretty stiff especially by the posts, and it still feels so much better than factory boards. If you're already putting this much thought into it then just get a custom board and build the one you want.

Start here for form factors: https://switchandclick.com/keyboard-sizes/
And then go here for mounting styles: https://keyboard.university/200-courses/keyboard-mounting-styles-4lpp7
For the mounting styles the cheat sheet at the end has the general benefits and drawbacks.

Then come back here and ask for some recommendations of in-stock stuff.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 05 October 2021, 22:31:09 »
Yes, I agree. I would add that some of the nicer but affordable KBDFans boards like KBD67 Lite and KBD8X MKII can be built into very nice things, but even the cheap and more-available boards like Tofu, KBD75, and the 60% boards can be made into something better than a factory keyboard.

You can improve a factory keyboard too, including Leopold, Filco, etc... it's really a matter of what you want to do.

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 09 October 2021, 14:50:16 »
I feel like other have said it, but I'll say it in fewer words: avoid WASD.

There are better quality boards out there for a comparable price. Nothing from WASD I've ever bought has stuck around past 9 months.
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 09 October 2021, 21:45:08 »

WASD makes a solid keyboard, a bit behind the times and pricey for what you get for features but you can say the same about Filco, Model Ms, old Alps etc... They work great, they just lack some modern features. The caps are easily replaced.  It may not be the best board financially or hype-wise, but it's a board that should last a long time.

Anodising is just putting an extra layer on the keyboard case or plate, sometimes in a different colour.  Go for it if you don't want just a black case.
The anodized option means it comes with an aluminum case rather than plastic, it's one of the few mass produced boards (especially in stock) you can get with one.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion