Author Topic: [IC] GMK Shoko 2nd Style「Group Buy Live Now」  (Read 138999 times)

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
Re: [IC] GMK Shoko 2nd Style「Almost in Group Buy hopefully」
« Reply #250 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 16:03:48 »
Hello everyone! We apologize to RaySasQuach / Shoko for jumping the gun and handling his resulting discomfort poorly. He’s a talented designer and we enjoy working with him. After addressing next steps for Shoko R2, we’ll describe what happened — it’s an opportunity for transparency and growth.

Shoko R2 Status: Paused

We’re placing the group buy on hold temporarily (new sales have stopped) and awaiting Ray’s kit update completion timeline. This will delay set production due to redesigns / requotes / new renders, the pandemic’s global fallout, and later production slots. Easy cancellations / complete refunds / store credits are available for anyone who doesn’t want to keep their Shoko R2 order. If you keep your order, or want to change it, we’ll update it via some edits later on (may require a second payment or refund if GMK changes quote amounts).

What Happened?

RaySasQuach was unable to make certain critical decisions during Shoko R1. To ensure production, Kono had to take the initiative and make time-sensitive choices about his set. Ray was pleased with our results, and we assumed that he was handling a personal problem, so it seemed like a functional working relationship.

After authorizing Shoko R2 in our designer chatroom, Ray was offline for a while. He gave us a source for kits much later; we thought they were fully updated so we forged ahead. We were accustomed to keeping things in motion, so we didn’t push for additional communications as the group buy took form and launched.

Ray’s group buy halt request arrived on April 10. We were under peak pressure due to the pandemic and an unexpectedly early shipping shutdown at our warehouse. Context aside, our response was lame. His missive was a surprise and we had tunnel vision about running the set as it was quoted. After reviewing the situation, we followed up with Ray directly — no mass messages were sent until he was in the loop.

Kono apologizes to the community for this disruption. Kono & RaySasQuach will move forward, fix communications, and deliver Shoko R2. Thank you for supporting his vision!

Thank you Kono!

Offline //gainsborough

• ALPSの日常
« Reply #251 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 16:34:52 »
Hello everyone! We apologize to RaySasQuach / Shoko for jumping the gun and handling his resulting discomfort poorly. He’s a talented designer and we enjoy working with him. After addressing next steps for Shoko R2, we’ll describe what happened — it’s an opportunity for transparency and growth.

We’re placing the group buy on hold temporarily (new sales have stopped) and awaiting Ray’s kit update completion timeline. This will delay set production due to redesigns / requotes / new renders, the pandemic’s global fallout, and later production slots. Easy cancellations / complete refunds / store credits are available for anyone who doesn’t want to keep their Shoko R2 order. If you keep your order, or want to change it, we’ll update it via some edits later on (may require a second payment or refund if GMK changes quote amounts).

What Happened?

RaySasQuach was unable to make certain critical decisions during Shoko R1. To ensure production, Kono had to take the initiative and make time-sensitive choices about his set. Ray was pleased with our results, and we assumed that he was handling a personal problem, so it seemed like a functional working relationship.

After authorizing Shoko R2 in our designer chatroom, Ray was offline for a while. He gave us a source for kits much later; we thought they were fully updated so we forged ahead. We were accustomed to keeping things in motion, so we didn’t push for additional communications as the group buy took form and launched.

Ray’s group buy halt request arrived on April 10. We were under peak pressure due to the pandemic and an unexpectedly early shipping shutdown at our warehouse. Context aside, our response was lame. His missive was a surprise and we had tunnel vision about running the set as it was quoted. After reviewing the situation, we followed up with Ray directly — no mass messages were sent until he was in the loop.

Kono apologizes to the community for this disruption. Kono & RaySasQuach will move forward, fix communications, and deliver Shoko R2. Thank you for supporting his vision!

Glad things are sorted out. I hope communication between designer and vendor only continues to improve from here on out  :thumb:

Very cool.  Thanks, Kono!

Offline Daellin

« Reply #252 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 17:25:04 »
Here's hoping for a last second icon + text kit, but I'm in regardless.

Offline yicaoyimu

« Reply #253 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 17:31:32 »

What Happened?

Thanks for being so transparent with this issue! Excited for round 2.
KMAC2 - Matrix Lab 8XV2.0 - TGR Jane v2 CE - KBD8X MKII - Meridian - Matrix Lab Noah - Fallacy x2 - MGA Standard - Geon Frog mini - Amano - Ciel60 - Prime_Elise - Matrix Lab 6XV3.0 aka Corsa

Offline twistitup

« Reply #254 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 17:49:43 »
Great responses from both parties. Thank you Ray and Kono!

Offline thornkin

« Reply #255 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 22:25:36 »
Glad to see a happy resolution here.

Offline DERBS

• N E 3u bars avail?
« Reply #256 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 23:28:50 »
Please do not split numpad, it costs ~9$ to add to base from gmk, adds ~29$ raw cost as a kit. That aside, glad to hear things are sorting out.

+1 for not splitting numpad.

Offline nightdriver

• life is like t. rex
« Reply #257 on: Thu, 30 April 2020, 01:19:23 »
haven't gone through the whole thread, but can we get the legend for the icon-only backspace key fixed to have a longer tail on the arrow?

also, i don't understand why anyone would want a white accent escape key.  that would just look weird.  seems like it has to be a mistake.
« Last Edit: Thu, 30 April 2020, 01:36:19 by nightdriver »

Offline ideoidiom

« Reply #258 on: Thu, 30 April 2020, 10:43:11 »
Please don't split the numpad. It saves a few dollars now but only adds regret later when the aftermarket value of numpad kits reach the $80+. It's happened time and time again and its awful. It's infuriating and I'd really rather eat the $10 or whatever upfront cost than to go through that again.

Offline phat schlong

« Reply #259 on: Thu, 30 April 2020, 14:03:58 »
Definitely in for this round

Offline MacSurfy

• Designer & 3D artist
« Reply #260 on: Fri, 01 May 2020, 00:01:40 »
It's infuriating and I'd really rather eat the $10 or whatever upfront cost than to go through that again.

Your argument is based on that you wouldn't mind paying extra for something you need. Of course you wouldn't. Question is if the majority of the buyers want to pay extra for something they don't need.

Offline blank++

« Reply #261 on: Fri, 01 May 2020, 00:17:52 »
Great response from Kono, glad to see everything get sorted out.

With that being said I'm in!!

Still very curious about what the other goodies you mentioned will be...

Offline IOVERCALLHISTIOCYTES

« Reply #262 on: Fri, 01 May 2020, 00:21:06 »
Please don't split the numpad. It saves a few dollars now but only adds regret later when the aftermarket value of numpad kits reach the $80+. It's happened time and time again and its awful. It's infuriating and I'd really rather eat the $10 or whatever upfront cost than to go through that again.

I'm a numpad user. Split off numpads add about 20-30$ to the total cost of a base kit for me vs the integrated kit.  I skip about a set every month or two that I'd probably have bought if it was integrated. If numpads reliably ran up in value we'd see more extras being bought and the market filling that void a bit, but if you're sure you're right...you should buy numpads! That ROI would be better than my pre covid mutual fund.

Minimal and striker numpads are expensive, it's true. But Eclipse and Jamon numpads really, really aren't-they're sold less than the regular price. Others have scaled relative to the cost of the base set aftermarket. I think it's hard to say how they'll act aftermarket, and that's often true for individual sets, although the net result for aftermarket is a significant increase in price.

I sorta wonder when F row keys will join the numpad...

Offline ideoidiom

« Reply #263 on: Fri, 01 May 2020, 02:40:34 »
It's infuriating and I'd really rather eat the $10 or whatever upfront cost than to go through that again.

Your argument is based on that you wouldn't mind paying extra for something you need. Of course you wouldn't. Question is if the majority of the buyers want to pay extra for something they don't need.

I'm a numpad user. Split off numpads add about 20-30$ to the total cost of a base kit for me vs the integrated kit.  I skip about a set every month or two that I'd probably have bought if it was integrated. If numpads reliably ran up in value we'd see more extras being bought and the market filling that void a bit, but if you're sure you're right...you should buy numpads! That ROI would be better than my pre covid mutual fund.

Minimal and striker numpads are expensive, it's true. But Eclipse and Jamon numpads really, really aren't-they're sold less than the regular price. Others have scaled relative to the cost of the base set aftermarket. I think it's hard to say how they'll act aftermarket, and that's often true for individual sets, although the net result for aftermarket is a significant increase in price.

I sorta wonder when F row keys will join the numpad...

As is with most things in this hobby, it's mostly the rarity and the shipping that tanks the value for money math. As someone who lives in Canada (or really anywhere in the world where shipping from the US isn't dirt cheap), this is why I hate split numpads:

- The aftermarket. Not everyone is always tuned into keycap news and people miss group buys all the time, which is how prices get so crazy. For lots of people their first encounter with this set would be on a r/mk front page, long after the gb is done. For them to hunt this down this set is already hard enough, but to find a set with both base and numpad just makes it that much harder. Granted it hurts less for this set since there'd only be 2 or 3 main kits if you split num, but hunting kits one by one really sucks for anyone not in the US. Worst yet, there are those that just bought every kit seeking to flip and won't sell the numpad unless you buy every other kit in the bundle. Usually what ends up happening is we wait for a seller with exactly the kits we need and pray we don't get sniped first. And if you don't constantly refresh mechmarket, that's just not happening.

- It's 42% of the community we're talking about here.... (see r/Mk megapoll). It's not some obscure kit, is the efficiency problem you create really worth the $30 or so that you're saving when the resale value is likely $250 plus?

I'll be fine since I caught this GB early and will nab my numpad regardless, but just speaking from experience, numpad less hurts this set in the long run.
« Last Edit: Fri, 01 May 2020, 02:59:23 by ideoidiom »

Offline Hanabi

• Falling into a black hole.
« Reply #264 on: Fri, 01 May 2020, 03:38:39 »
Definitely in for this! Glad to hear the news from both parties.

Offline whitty

• Formerly dsw_408
« Reply #265 on: Fri, 01 May 2020, 10:57:53 »
You numpad users are an excessively vocal 21%

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline tominabox1

« Reply #266 on: Fri, 01 May 2020, 11:01:58 »

21% vs 14% (40s users) battle royale  :))

« Reply #267 on: Fri, 01 May 2020, 13:17:29 »

I’m probably not the only one who skips a group buy if it has split numpad and I was on the fence. Can probably get 7 sets w included numpad in the base kit vs 6 buying separately. I think 35-40% might like numpad inclusion but it’s def not the majority.

Offline ideoidiom

« Reply #268 on: Fri, 01 May 2020, 14:29:55 »

Hey standalone numpads and southpaw need caps too, I didn't cherrypick the numbers

Offline whitty

• Formerly dsw_408
« Reply #269 on: Fri, 01 May 2020, 14:52:12 »

I’m probably not the only one who skips a group buy if it has split numpad and I was on the fence. Can probably get 7 sets w included numpad in the base kit vs 6 buying separately. I think 35-40% might like numpad inclusion but it’s def not the majority.
There’s a graph that puts GMK at 21% in this thread . Also, the counter to your argument is I can buy 7 base kits without numpad vs 6 with 

Offline whitty

• Formerly dsw_408
« Reply #270 on: Fri, 01 May 2020, 14:53:27 »

Hey standalone numpads and southpaw need caps too, I didn't cherrypick the numbers
Take a look at the graph posted in this thread regarding numpads

Offline ideoidiom

« Reply #271 on: Fri, 01 May 2020, 17:29:54 »

GH is not the entirety of the market for this set, if anything you're selecting for a crowd that's less likely to want a numpad. I don't have hard data to prove this, but I'd wager the r/mk crowd has a bigger base and contributes more to this set when it does eventually launch. This is why I think the r/mk megapoll better represents demand, both because of the sheer raw sample size and because of higher accessibility.

Offline scoopbb

« Reply #272 on: Fri, 01 May 2020, 17:55:44 »
i for one am totally happy with split numpad.

Offline whitty

• Formerly dsw_408
[IC] GMK Shoko 2nd Style「Almost in Group Buy hopefully」
« Reply #273 on: Fri, 01 May 2020, 19:21:56 »

GH is not the entirety of the market for this set, if anything you're selecting for a crowd that's less likely to want a numpad. I don't have hard data to prove this, but I'd wager the r/mk crowd has a bigger base and contributes more to this set when it does eventually launch. This is why I think the r/mk megapoll better represents demand, both because of the sheer raw sample size and because of higher accessibility.

lmao what are you talking about? it isn’t stated anywhere that dvorcol's graph is only geekhack numbers. the graph represents the entirety of kits sold in the group buy  :thumb:
« Last Edit: Fri, 01 May 2020, 19:28:37 by dsw_408 »

« Reply #274 on: Fri, 01 May 2020, 19:32:06 »
I thought the discrepancy in the poll (52% split and 48% keep numpad) vs the sales numbers (~20%)are due to me and a bunch of others who use a numpad not buying kits w split off numpads-was what I was getting at before. Presumably the people who don't use numpads do the opposite.

Offline ideoidiom

« Reply #275 on: Fri, 01 May 2020, 20:12:44 »

lmao what are you talking about? it isn’t stated anywhere that dvorcol's graph is only geekhack numbers. the graph represents the entirety of kits sold in the group buy  :thumb:

Ok so I took a look the graph you kept referencing, my apologies for assuming it was a poll without actually checking. Just to quote graph in question:

Since there is still discussion of splitting Base and Numpad, here are some past numpad kit take rates.

Show Image

and the biggest thing that stood out is that relative to other profiles, the GMK numpads (not run by massdrop) usually costs between 35%-50% of the base kit whereas pretty much every other profile keeps it under 30% of base kit. It's no wonder the GMK numbers are so low. If anything, the other profiles seem to be more in line with the demand seen in the r/mk megapoll and GMK is the outlier.

This is probably the result of the base kits quoted based on high MOQ (likely 500+) and numpads conservatively low MOQs. When you look at GMK sets run by massdrop, which have a sliding MOQ system, you usually see numpads reliably hitting 30% of base kit purchases, nowhere near the 21% take rate for sets where numpads range from a flat $38-48. What's more is, usually if you add up the numbers for sets where base and num are split, they almost always go over what I'd consider the average price of a GMK set at $130.

Here then is my problem with this mindset: you're asking numpad users (which seems more and more likely to be >30% of people) to pay for your discount when, if bundled together, would probably be cheaper than buying base and numpad separately.

I mean, in theory, that's fine -- it's their problem right? It's a free market, you save $20 and I pay an extra $20, what's the big deal? But my argument is that for all the reasons I listed in the post above, that because of the nature of this hobby, that it's disproportionally worse than the $20 on paper.

Offline ggmoss

« Reply #276 on: Sat, 02 May 2020, 03:06:00 »
Thank you for splitting numpad.  ;) :thumb:

Offline Mcnos

• GMK Fuyu
« Reply #277 on: Sat, 02 May 2020, 04:28:09 »

Ok so I took a look the graph you kept referencing, my apologies for assuming it was a poll without actually checking. Just to quote graph in question:

Since there is still discussion of splitting Base and Numpad, here are some past numpad kit take rates.

Show Image

and the biggest thing that stood out is that relative to other profiles, the GMK numpads (not run by massdrop) usually costs between 35%-50% of the base kit whereas pretty much every other profile keeps it under 30% of base kit. It's no wonder the GMK numbers are so low. If anything, the other profiles seem to be more in line with the demand seen in the r/mk megapoll and GMK is the outlier.

This is probably the result of the base kits quoted based on high MOQ (likely 500+) and numpads conservatively low MOQs. When you look at GMK sets run by massdrop, which have a sliding MOQ system, you usually see numpads reliably hitting 30% of base kit purchases, nowhere near the 21% take rate for sets where numpads range from a flat $38-48. What's more is, usually if you add up the numbers for sets where base and num are split, they almost always go over what I'd consider the average price of a GMK set at $130.

Here then is my problem with this mindset: you're asking numpad users (which seems more and more likely to be >30% of people) to pay for your discount when, if bundled together, would probably be cheaper than buying base and numpad separately.

I mean, in theory, that's fine -- it's their problem right? It's a free market, you save $20 and I pay an extra $20, what's the big deal? But my argument is that for all the reasons I listed in the post above, that because of the nature of this hobby, that it's disproportionally worse than the $20 on paper.

This is also the same cry that obscure layout users also experience.

Offline DrHigsby

• The doctor is in.
« Reply #278 on: Sat, 02 May 2020, 04:41:47 »

Show Image

This is also the same cry that obscure layout users also experience.

As a 40s user, I can agree. I just come to expect that nobody cares about my layout and tend to join group buys that offer support in some capacity.

I’m all for splitting numpad off. While we’re at it, let’s axe the function row too.  ;)

Offline tominabox1

« Reply #279 on: Sat, 02 May 2020, 09:27:37 »
gmk does not offer enough options for kitting full stop.

You can get a set that has basically everything in the one main kit for $160 or so. but you have to cut out EVERYTHING to get it down to $100 then if you bought everything to get it back up to the coverage you had at $160, it'd be like $220.  There's something very wrong about that. There's just not enough room between 100 and 160 to fit in that pricing dichotomy.

The market continues to demand lower and lower prices but maybe that's not the way to go with GMK after all.

(that said, as 40s user, split numpad, put 40s in base) :))

Offline scoopbb

« Reply #280 on: Sat, 02 May 2020, 12:33:13 »
gmk does not offer enough options for kitting full stop.

You can get a set that has basically everything in the one main kit for $160 or so. but you have to cut out EVERYTHING to get it down to $100 then if you bought everything to get it back up to the coverage you had at $160, it'd be like $220.  There's something very wrong about that. There's just not enough room between 100 and 160 to fit in that pricing dichotomy.

The market continues to demand lower and lower prices but maybe that's not the way to go with GMK after all.

(that said, as 40s user, split numpad, put 40s in base) :))

while i agree with you, if you look at the number of GBs running for gmk, the current queue and how many people continue to buy why would GMK change anything lol.

i always wonder if kits had the same compat as q01 how well they would sell and what prices for it would look like at 1k moq. shrug

Offline zzkhan1996

« Reply #281 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 12:10:27 »
Sorry for bothering you again but have you speak with Zfrontier yet? Do they want to take in this set?

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #282 on: Tue, 05 May 2020, 13:39:19 »
patiently waiting

Offline KRY2SOON

• Divine Studios
« Reply #283 on: Tue, 05 May 2020, 17:01:20 »
ic

Offline forwardkey

« Reply #284 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 19:23:56 »
I requested a refund for shoko from kono 8 days ago, and have been completely ghosted. Really shady company.

Offline daniwa

« Reply #285 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 21:33:06 »
Do have a target timeframe? Like this summer vs this fall?

Offline iammeuru

« Reply #286 on: Fri, 08 May 2020, 03:57:16 »
So, on kitting, I saw someone post above somewhere that it's wasteful to make/buy caps they won't use, and while I agree with that, it's much more wasteful to have alu/brass/stainless keyboards... the ammount of energy and material that goes into our boards is absurd from a waste standpoint, so frankly, I don't think there's any high ground to be had in our hobby from an eco-standpoint... well, mostly... maybe keeb.io and keyhive have some very eco friendly options.

Anyway, I basically don't buy anything (extremely few sets anyway) from SP as a result of their extreme kitting. I routinely skip anything but the very most must-have keysets from GMK if they don't have a numpad at the very least, and TBH, much much more. Shoko, aside from being an awesome colorway is enticing from a what's offered standpoint because it has numpad, and that bottom row 1.5u Fn... I love the set, and R2 looks even cooler than R1, but frankly, while I'm set to buy two R2s (one to wear and one to show), I'm likely to drop it to one or maybe even none if it drops the numpad; I really try to vote with my wallet on this matter, and this principal is important to me. I would be happy if a set was made with every "kit" envisioned and sold for $160-180, and I'd buy two sets for sure of colorways I absolutely love like Shoko. Also, I'd pay an extra $10 to have more plastic GMK trays, and I have done so previously. I would prefer to have tons of the larger JTK trays, but the cardboard is trash, and leaves me nowhere to store my caps except bags, which is not something I prefer.

Offline SuddenlyDonkey

« Reply #287 on: Fri, 08 May 2020, 09:54:52 »
Please split numpad

Offline Silverion77

« Reply #288 on: Fri, 08 May 2020, 17:12:57 »
Personally not a fan of splitting out numpad, but will probably get regardless. Just may have to add a numpad...

Offline forwardkey

« Reply #289 on: Fri, 08 May 2020, 20:01:46 »

What Happened?

Can you refund me? I have been contacting you for two weeks, nearly daily.

Offline jameski99

« Reply #290 on: Sun, 10 May 2020, 04:41:03 »
Great work! I vote for splitting the numpad :)

Would you be able to do collaborations with Rama or space cables?

Offline mta

« Reply #291 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 15:53:29 »
Is the numpad kit missing the 00 key or am I just missing it somewhere else / or maybe it's intentionally excluded?

Offline GhostEther

« Reply #292 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 16:05:27 »
This looks awesome. Interested.

Offline TeslaDev

« Reply #293 on: Tue, 12 May 2020, 12:39:06 »
Nice lookin set.  Definitely interested!

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #294 on: Tue, 12 May 2020, 15:37:20 »
any update on splitting numpad and add R3 PgUp and R4 PgDn for 65% support?

Thanks.

Offline belerian

« Reply #295 on: Tue, 12 May 2020, 16:03:01 »

Thanks.

I think PgUp and PgDn are supported based on this image that was posted on page 5
https://raysasquach.s-ul.eu/xwj1LYUk.png

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #296 on: Tue, 12 May 2020, 18:27:31 »

Thanks.

I think PgUp and PgDn are supported based on this image that was posted on page 5
https://raysasquach.s-ul.eu/xwj1LYUk.png

Thank you so much, this is great to hear, and I did not look closely enough.

Offline tnqv102

« Reply #297 on: Thu, 14 May 2020, 12:24:45 »
Thanks for designing such a gorgeous set. I'm very interested in this set. May I ask that are there any new keys for "command", "options" for Mac users like me?
« Last Edit: Thu, 14 May 2020, 12:36:49 by tnqv102 »

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #298 on: Sun, 17 May 2020, 16:24:08 »
Any updates?

« Reply #299 on: Sun, 17 May 2020, 17:11:15 »
GMK probably sent the update to ILUMKB