Author Topic: [IC] Key Wood - 64/87/104 Real Wood Key Cap Set  (Read 14904 times)

Offline KEYWOOD

[IC] Key Wood - 64/87/104 Real Wood Key Cap Set
« on: Sat, 04 July 2020, 11:48:25 »
IC will be paused until we sort out kinks with our manufacturer.
« Last Edit: Sat, 04 July 2020, 20:10:05 by KEYWOOD »

Offline powwu

• Discord
Re: [IC] Key Wood - 64/87/104 Real Wood Key Cap Set
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 04 July 2020, 11:50:16 »
Wow. These are absolutely stunning. I bet they sound amazing, too.

edit: this was before I learned everything.... YIKES LMAO
« Last Edit: Tue, 22 December 2020, 20:12:09 by powwu »

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 04 July 2020, 12:16:17 »
A full set of carved caps is intriguing and quite premium. Interesting that you will offer customized font for an additional charge.   But I’m not sure who could shell out $500-600 for keycaps.  I would be interested in finding out more about your process.  It says designed in California, but are they still manufactured in China?  I can imagine a natural material such as wood would be challenging to manufacture with high enough precision to warrant such a premium price.

What about the cap stem?   Is it carved into the wood?  The most popular maker I know of currently doing this service has settled on using a plastic stem glued to the wood for best results. 

Offline KEYWOOD

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 04 July 2020, 12:30:52 »
A full set of carved caps is intriguing and quite premium. Interesting that you will offer customized font for an additional charge.   But I’m not sure who could shell out $500-600 for keycaps.  I would be interested in finding out more about your process.  It says designed in California, but are they still manufactured in China?  I can imagine a natural material such as wood would be challenging to manufacture with high enough precision to warrant such a premium price.

What about the cap stem?   Is it carved into the wood?  The most popular maker I know of currently doing this service has settled on using a plastic stem glued to the wood for best results.

You are right, natural wood is extremely difficult to manufacture, that’s why every piece is handmade, hand measured and crafted. That’s why these keycap sets are as much as 500-600 dollars if you want it fully custom. We design the keycaps in California, but manufacturing is indeed in China just like most. The reason is because of the manufacturing technique and labor. Its simply impossible to find in California, and it would be as much as 50% more expensive per keycap set if done entirely here.
We use plastic stem due to complexity nature of wood stem (they break too easily, and tends to become lose overtime.
Here is a picture of our stem.

Offline Crack85

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 04 July 2020, 12:33:48 »
Absolutely stunning

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Offline kokugatsu

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 04 July 2020, 13:02:15 »
Very nice caps, color me interested.

Where about are you guys based in CA? I'd love to see the caps at the next socal meetup (if it ever happens)

Offline G14D

• Ars gratia arits
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 04 July 2020, 13:06:55 »
Designed in USA huh? Interesting :thumb:

I would never say that I am exactly one of the creator of those keycaps and I am extremely familiar with the one who made those caps :)
« Last Edit: Sat, 04 July 2020, 13:12:02 by G14D »

Offline G14D

• Ars gratia arits
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 04 July 2020, 13:08:41 »

Where about are you guys based in CA? I'd love to see the caps at the next socal meetup (if it ever happens)

I'm 200% sure it's NOT designed in CA lmfao

Offline nikron

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 04 July 2020, 13:09:44 »
This is right up my alley.  Expensive for a full set, but that is expected I guess. I'm not totally in love with the font you guys have chosen.

Offline powwu

• Discord
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 04 July 2020, 13:10:30 »

I would never say that I am exactly one of the creator of those keycaps and I am extremely familiar with the one who made those caps

Have you ever get his permission to sell them in a ridiculous

I will ask my friend whether he had give you the permission to do so:)
Are you saying this is a scam?

Offline darkcl

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 04 July 2020, 13:14:05 »

I would never say that I am exactly one of the creator of those keycaps and I am extremely familiar with the one who made those caps

Incoming drama  ;D?

Offline Crack85

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 04 July 2020, 13:14:47 »
Well hell.....

Offline G14D

• Ars gratia arits
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 04 July 2020, 13:15:14 »

You really sure they're designed in CA?
If not, indeed, it is :)
« Last Edit: Sat, 04 July 2020, 15:05:57 by G14D »

Offline KEYWOOD

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 04 July 2020, 13:16:07 »

We have direct communication with the owner of the manufacturing in China. Not only for IC, but for a potential GB. I am more than willing to invite you to a wechat group to discuss with the manufacturing owner as well.

Offline kokugatsu

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 04 July 2020, 13:19:25 »

I'm 200% sure it's NOT designed in CA lmfao

Truth be told, I think I've seen the caps on discord or in some Chinese group ages ago - which is why I was fairly surprised when I saw OP claim they are from CA

Offline G14D

• Ars gratia arits
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 04 July 2020, 13:21:42 »
Designed in the USA huh? Interesting :thumb:

I will ask my friend whether he had given you the permission to do so:)

We have direct communication with the owner of the manufacturing in China. Not only for IC, but for a potential GB. I am more than willing to invite you to a wechat group to discuss with the manufacturing owner as well.

first of all, to be clarified, I'm not the one who manufactures those caps.
I don't really care about the negotiation between you guys and the manufacturer, but the kit is definitely from China and I'm just curious why would some one say the caps are designed in the USA, as I saw in those pics, you didn't modify anything from the original design.
« Last Edit: Sat, 04 July 2020, 13:26:59 by G14D »

Offline KEYWOOD

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 04 July 2020, 13:24:35 »

I don't mind about you resell them, but designed in CA? seriously?

We are picking our own key cap font for GB in the future. This is the literal design we have been discussing with manufacturing owner this morning.
For your information, we never claimed to be the manufacturing line of wooden keycaps. All manufacturing is done in China, and we have repeated it in previous posts.
Again, we have a partnership with our manufacturing company in China to resell their product line with different designs.

Offline G14D

• Ars gratia arits
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 04 July 2020, 13:28:28 »

Offline G14D

• Ars gratia arits
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 04 July 2020, 13:28:58 »

Show Image

We are picking our own key cap font for GB in the future. This is the literal design we have been discussing with manufacturing owner this morning.
For your information, we never claimed to be the manufacturing line of wooden keycaps. All manufacturing is done in China, and we have repeated it in previous posts.
Again, we have a partnership with our manufacturing company in China to resell their product line with different designs.

I don't really care about the negotiation between you guys and the manufacturer, but the kit is definitely from China and I'm just curious why would some one say the caps are designed in the USA, as I saw in those pics, you didn't modify anything from the original design.

Offline KEYWOOD

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 04 July 2020, 13:33:16 »

Show Image

This is an IC. We have pending design blueprint being worked on right now. GB keycap set will be entirely designed in California for its design.
We have inventory sample of the keycaps with default font from manufacturer for IC photos. The actual product will have entirely separate design language.

Offline G14D

• Ars gratia arits
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 04 July 2020, 13:47:22 »

Show Image

This is an IC. We have pending design blueprint being worked on right now. GB keycap set will be entirely designed in California for its design.
We have inventory sample of the keycaps with default font from the manufacturer for IC photos. The actual product will have entirely separate design language.

All the sculpt, materials and surface finish are originally designed in China, mostly designed by me and the manufacturer, all the things you would do are just creating language molds, are you sure those keycaps are DESIGNED in CA?

So you would change the font, I guess most likely cherry open, and claim you DESIGN them?
This is nonsense
« Last Edit: Sat, 04 July 2020, 13:49:43 by G14D »

Offline KEYWOOD

« Reply #21 on: Sat, 04 July 2020, 13:55:32 »

Show Image

We have inventory sample of the keycaps with default font from manufacturer for IC photos. The actual product will have entirely separate design language.

All the sculpt, materials and surface finish are originally designed in China, mostly designed by me and the manufacturer, all the things you would do are just creating language moulds, are you sure those keycaps are DESIGNED in CA?
This is nonsense
Ok, does that mean GMK's design is owned by MX cherry because they are using the same material, surface finish technology, same same layout design?
We customize the font, logistics, customer service, payments for international customers with the approval of the manufacturing owner. As for whether or not if you are employee of the manufacuturing company or not, why dont you PM me your wechat? We can discuss with the owner about permissions.

Offline Crack85

« Reply #22 on: Sat, 04 July 2020, 14:07:52 »
Well this is a dumpster fire already

Offline G14D

• Ars gratia arits
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 04 July 2020, 14:13:52 »

Show Image

All the sculpt, materials and surface finish are originally designed in China, mostly designed by me and the manufacturer, all the things you would do are just creating language moulds, are you sure those keycaps are DESIGNED in CA?
This is nonsense
Ok, does that mean GMK's design is owned by MX cherry because they are using the same material, surface finish technology, same same layout design?
We customize the font, logistics, customer service, payments for international customers with the approval of the manufacturing owner. As for whether or not if you are employee of the manufacuturing company or not, why dont you PM me your wechat? We can discuss with the owner about permissions.

Why is this conversion involving Cherry MX? There's nothing to do with Cherry when talking about materials and surfaces finish technologies. GMK is the manufacturer, Cherry creates the profile, that's it. In this case, the wood caps manufacturer plays the same role as GMK, would you ever open a GMK IC and say you design them in CA? Your title is misleading, You shouldn't say you "design" them if the only thing you modify is the font styles. I will contact the manufacturer directly and response you after I finish the conversation with him.
« Last Edit: Sat, 04 July 2020, 14:18:39 by G14D »

Offline KEYWOOD

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 04 July 2020, 14:17:48 »

We are waiting until China's morning time to discuss with manufacture owner about G14D's comments :)
Its a shame to see an IC getting trashed by someone who doesnt even bother to ask the manufacturer owner.

Offline Crack85

« Reply #25 on: Sat, 04 July 2020, 14:18:33 »

We are waiting until China's morning time to discuss with manufacture owner about G14D's comments :)
Its a shame to see an IC getting trashed by someone who doesnt even bother to ask the manufacturer owner.
Sounds good. I'm interested if it ever pans out lol

Offline kokugatsu

« Reply #26 on: Sat, 04 July 2020, 14:22:14 »

Show Image

Eh would probably be best to start the IC once you have designs to show? I mean I get that its an interest check, but I think fonts should be close to finalised before being shown to the community.

So right now the actual samples posted are designed and manufactured in China? Seems a tad misleading, considering your edits to the post were made only after the other guy popped out to claim ownership for the original/default designs lol

Anyhow I'm not trying to get between the two of you, as little evidence has been shown by either side.

Offline G14D

• Ars gratia arits
« Reply #27 on: Sat, 04 July 2020, 14:23:23 »

Misleading title, ridiculous pricing
I wouldn't wake any of my friends up in the midnight for some negligible issue.
Enough trash talk.

Offline KEYWOOD

« Reply #28 on: Sat, 04 July 2020, 14:29:16 »

Enough trash talk.
Honestly, why dont you PM over your wechat so we can discuss with the owner when he get up in the morning?
I find it stunning to see someone who isnt an owner of the company, complaining, when we have direct communication with owner himself. With permission to IC and GB.
Pricing? We were promised to an OEM discount by the owner of the company. So its cheaper than direct if counting in tax, reduced shipping costs, and logistics.

Offline G14D

• Ars gratia arits
« Reply #29 on: Sat, 04 July 2020, 14:40:09 »

Enough trash talk.
Honestly, why dont you PM over your wechat so we can discuss with the owner when he get up in the morning?
I find it stunning to see someone who isnt an owner of the company, complaining, when we have direct communication with owner himself. With permission to IC and GB.
Pricing? We were promised to an OEM discount by the owner of the company. So its cheaper than direct if counting in tax, reduced shipping costs, and logistics.

You will find out who am I and what I have done during the development stage of those keycaps.
Indeed, I'm not the owner or an employee of the company, but I played a vital role and those Cherry profile and OEM profile wood keycaps won't even exist without me.
The only reason I didn't PM you is I'm not interested in you, I'll have a conversation with the owner directly and it is unnecessary to involve you in our private conversation, I'll show all the evidence when the owner wakes up.
Just wait 'til the end :)
« Last Edit: Sat, 04 July 2020, 18:34:30 by G14D »

Offline powwu

• Discord
« Reply #30 on: Sat, 04 July 2020, 14:44:46 »
Hoo boy I can't wait for people to start reporting on this

Offline KEYWOOD

« Reply #31 on: Sat, 04 July 2020, 14:47:07 »

Enough trash talk.

You will know who am I and what I have done during the creation stage of those keycaps.
Indeed, I'm not the owner or an employee of the company, but I played a vital role and those Cherry profile and OEM profile wood keycaps won't even exist without me.
The only reason I didn't PM you is I'm not interested in you, I'll have a conversation with the owner directly and it is unnecessary to involve you in our private conversation, I'll show all the evidence when the owner wakes up.
Just wait 'til the end :)
Look, I don't mean to argue with you. But we have permission from the manufacturing company to do IC and GB if there is demand for it.
If there are right issues between you and the manufacturer, it would be out of my area. That’s between you and manufacturer.
Now, when you come into an IC and flame us over your dispute with manufacturer that would be inappropriate.
We have multiple manufacturer who can produce the same keycap more or less. If anything, keycap font design is Californian designed, then we have the right to claim “Designed in California”. We believe keycap font is the same as t shirt designs. You can claim a design to be in California if a part or of concept is uniquely created here. That’s all there is.

Offline KEYWOOD

« Reply #32 on: Sat, 04 July 2020, 14:52:16 »
Hoo boy I can't wait for people to start reporting on this
Now, whenever there is a wooden keycap out there. Everyone can claim they own cherry profile, OEM profile, and they own the right to the jungle and the wood. This is literally, a wood keycap, with plastic stem that you can DIY, and with laser engraved font.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #33 on: Sat, 04 July 2020, 15:12:06 »
Yes, I've seen similar keycaps (as blanks) on aliexpress.  They are NOT cheap by any means.  $300 for a fullsize set.  I can see that adding laser engraving and more wood options would increase the cost.  I entered into this discussion because I surmised that you were working with those companies to offer a custom set with legends based on their blanks.  Doesn't seem like a scam by any means.

I think G14D is unhappy b/c you seem to imply you designed the keycaps.  When, in fact, you designed the idea of adding fonts to them.  I don't think that's a bad thing though. 
« Last Edit: Sat, 04 July 2020, 15:14:06 by pixelpusher »

Offline G14D

• Ars gratia arits
« Reply #34 on: Sat, 04 July 2020, 15:21:08 »
Yes, I've seen similar keycaps (as blanks) on aliexpress.  They are NOT cheap by any means.  $300 for a fullsize set.  I can see that adding laser engraving and more wood options would increase the cost.  I entered into this discussion because I surmised that you were working with those companies to offer a custom set with legends based on their blanks.  Doesn't seem like a scam by any means.

I think G14D is unhappy b/c you seem to imply you designed the keycaps.  When, in fact, you designed the idea of adding fonts to them.  I don't think that's a bad thing though.

Indeed, the only thing I'm mad with is they claim that those caps are designed in CA when it's a Chinese product instead.
I think the partnership between the owner and this guy will soon be terminated when I tell the truth to the owner.

Offline KEYWOOD

« Reply #35 on: Sat, 04 July 2020, 15:25:17 »
I honestly believe G14D is mistaken their manufacturer with ours. Our manufacturer have blackwood, and few different types of wood to choose from. Not Aliexpress generic keys without engraving.
The manufacturer that we work with is: 雕**. If G14D is flaming us when they arent part of 雕** company. Then please apologize to us.
If they are, then we will discuss with the owner of the company about this.

Either way, we are California designed based. We can pick any manufacturer on our own right to ensure the highest quality and standards of the keycaps for a potential GB.

Offline G14D

• Ars gratia arits
« Reply #36 on: Sat, 04 July 2020, 15:26:17 »

and btw there are fonts on the keycaps from the beginning, IT' NOT their design!!!!
There is originally absolutely NO additional fee for changing the font to any font stlye you want when you purchase them in the mainland of China.

Offline emerrin

Offline KEYWOOD

« Reply #38 on: Sat, 04 July 2020, 15:29:53 »

and btw there are fonts on the keycaps from the beginning, IT' NOT their design!!!!
There is originally absolutely NO additional fee for changing the font to any font stlye you want when you purchase them in the mainland of China.
We have the permission to market the keycaps from owner for IC and potential GB.
If you have issue with our marketing wording, and flame the IC causing damage instead of discussing peacefully with the owner, then sure you can complain to the owner of our manufacturer. That's all there is.

I dont see why you are flaming us, when you have not even contacted the owner of the company.
Even if the owner did say we cannot use "designed in California" does not change the fact, and the evidence that we have the right to IC and GB. That we can provide if you PM me your wechat.

Offline G14D

• Ars gratia arits
« Reply #39 on: Sat, 04 July 2020, 15:31:40 »
I honestly believe G14D is mistaken their manufacturer with ours. Our manufacturer have blackwood, and few different types of wood to choose from. Not Aliexpress generic keys without engraving.
The manufacturer that we work with is: 雕**. If G14D is flaming us when they arent part of 雕** company. Then please apologize to us.

Either way, we are California designed based. We can pick any manufacturer on our own right to ensure the highest quality and standards of the keycaps for a potential GB.

There's no need to apologize, I'm 100% sure we are talking the same stuff

246408-0

And a friendly reminder, they recently change their name from 雕刻家 to 鍵榮

Offline KEYWOOD

« Reply #40 on: Sat, 04 July 2020, 15:35:59 »

(Attachment Link)

Then lets wait until owner's up :)
Our deal with manufacturer is to help them to market their keycap to overseas. Mainly to help them to market their keycaps better.
With reduced cost if you account for tax, shipping, logistics, customer communication.

Either way, it doesnt change the fact that you are flaming without first communicating with the owner.

Offline G14D

• Ars gratia arits
« Reply #41 on: Sat, 04 July 2020, 15:37:18 »

We have the permission to market the keycaps from owner for IC and potential GB.
If you have issue with our marketing wording, and flame the IC causing damage instead of discussing peacefully with the owner, then sure you can complain to the owner of our manufacturer. That's all there is.

I dont see why you are flaming us, when you have not even contacted the owner of the company.
Even if the owner did say we cannot use "designed in California" does not change the fact, and the evidence that we have the right to IC and GB. That we can provide if you PM me your wechat.

"when you have not even contacted the owner of the company."
Are you sure about that?:)

Com'on, we all know is 4 am in China now.

Offline G14D

• Ars gratia arits
« Reply #42 on: Sat, 04 July 2020, 15:42:15 »

(Attachment Link)

Our deal with manufacturer is to help them to market their keycap to overseas. Mainly to help them to market their keycaps better.
With reduced cost if you account for tax, shipping, logistics, customer communication.

Either way, it doesnt change the fact that you are flaming without first communicating with the owner.

Enough, just wait.

Offline KEYWOOD

« Reply #43 on: Sat, 04 July 2020, 15:43:35 »

(Attachment Link)

Enough, just wait.
Sure, lets wait until owner wake up then
I just dont know what you are willing to discuss with owner, if you PM me your wechat I can share our permission given by the manufacturer.
For marketing term "developed in California"? Its perfectly legal to state that when final product have California designed language. And we never claim to be manufactured in California.

Offline G14D

• Ars gratia arits
« Reply #44 on: Sat, 04 July 2020, 20:32:03 »
Good morning, as one of the developers of the wood keycaps you had posted. And obviously, a good friend of the owner and the manufacturer,
I'm glad to announce that, the partnership between you, and the manufacturer are terminated. You can no longer resell those keycaps in any forms of GB.
Well done, Designed in CA, Well done :)

Here are some evidence and proofs:
- Chat records between me and the owner
246459-0

- Chat records between the owner and OP
246461-1

And for those who would like to purchase those nice and sweet wood keycaps, don't worry.
We are planning to host an OFFICIAL IC and GB in the short term (most likely in 2020Q4)
I'll be the person who hosts the IC and the price should be lower.
Someone didn't even negotiate with the owner about the pricing, It's almost double compared to the retailing price in the mainland of China :(

Have a nice day.

Offline powwu

• Discord
« Reply #45 on: Sat, 04 July 2020, 20:49:47 »
Good morning, as one of the developers of the wood keycaps you had posted. And obviously, a good friend of the owner and the manufacturer,
I'm glad to announce that, the partnership between you, and the manufacturer are terminated. You can no longer resell those keycaps in any forms of GB.

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

And for those who would like to purchase those nice and sweet wood keycaps, don't worry.
We are planning to host an OFFICIAL IC and GB in the short term (most likely in 2020Q4)
Someone didn't even negotiate with the owner about the pricing, It's almost double compared to the retailing price in the mainland of China :(

Have a nice day.
YIKES

at least there will be an actual IC soon though, with better prices.

Offline KEYWOOD

« Reply #46 on: Sat, 04 July 2020, 21:05:36 »

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Have a nice day.
YIKES

Everyone can just buy on https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z09.2.0.0.3ad02e8d8qD5kD&id=610661106838&_u=42mvkdnv04c9
Price after shipping and tax will exceed 390 dollars though, you can check them yourself.

Honestly, you went thru all that trouble just to stir up some trouble between me and manufacturer. Claiming us to be a fraud when we had permission from owner. And what was 100% legal to use "designed in California" as marketing terms and can be used as actual claim.
Anyways, you win this round :) I will communicate with the manufacturer about what was permitted~ 

Offline G14D

• Ars gratia arits
« Reply #47 on: Sat, 04 July 2020, 21:38:22 »

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Have a nice day.
YIKES

Everyone can just buy on https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z09.2.0.0.3ad02e8d8qD5kD&id=610661106838&_u=42mvkdnv04c9
Price after shipping and tax will exceed 390 dollars though, you can check them yourself.

Honestly, you went thru all that trouble just to stir up some trouble between me and manufacturer. Claiming us to be a fraud when we had permission from owner. And what was 100% legal to use "designed in California" as marketing terms and can be used as actual claim.
Anyways, you win this round :) I will communicate with the manufacturer about what was permitted~

Basically, you
1) Didn't mention about the original designer about the caps, and called him manufacturer. From the beginning, you made mistakes. The ‘manufacturer’ already have he’s own brand. It’s obviously not ‘Wood Key’.

The owner would like to sell his brand and product, not in the name of your ****ty brand.

2) Didn’t negotiate the retail price with the owner, he didn’t even know the price are so high. Stop lying about the taxes, my family owns an import company that trade with US companies for decades.
THERE IS NO WAY THE RETAIL PRICE TO BE THAT HIGH

3) Claim those keycaps are ‘designed in CA’, listen, kid.
WHEN YOU SAY DESIGN IN SOMEWHERE, YOU MEAN THE ENTIRE PRODUCT IS DEVELOPED IN SOMEWHERE
All the thing you did is changing the font (Which you didn't change anything in those pics you shown in IC obviously, I assume you will change them eventually), and that’s actually a free service, everyone who purchase those keycaps can modify the font on them, Open Cherry, Helvetica, Arial. People even provide their own font to us.

Changing the font on them doesn’t mean you design them dumb ass

(Yes, that’s 100% legal, just immoral:) )

Those keycaps are developed by me and the owner, together
They’re not like other generic Cherry/OEM profile keycaps already on the market, we did optimise them.

Btw be careful about your wording, I didn’t say that you were not authorised to host an IC or say you are a fraud. Simply I didn’t believe that my friend would let someone like you to host the IC and GB in US.
In fact, what you have done are like a scam indeed.
Now, the chaos ends here, stop embarrassing yourself.
« Last Edit: Sun, 05 July 2020, 04:59:21 by G14D »

Offline G14D

• Ars gratia arits
« Reply #48 on: Sat, 04 July 2020, 21:44:19 »
I’ll go sleep

Offline BapoDonu

« Reply #49 on: Sat, 04 July 2020, 22:06:02 »