Author Topic: Linear clicky switch  (Read 11822 times)

Offline Metalmind

Linear clicky switch
« on: Wed, 15 July 2015, 05:30:21 »
A linear switch with an audible click would be my ideal switch. I hate the tactile bump from mx blues either mx browns. Some kind of hybrid of a red and blue switch would be great.

That's because I hate the tactile bump, it's like a earthquake shaking your fingers or like driving on a stone road, but miss the click when using linear switches. And also I learned to float type so I don't bottom out even on reds (at 90wpm).

I have used browns (bah, damn dump), blues (the reset is too slow, bah), greens (they are great), red (cloud of boobs, really), blacks (i love then too even not my favourite).

Want do you think ?

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
Re: Linear clicky switch
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 15 July 2015, 05:43:14 »
The Omron B3GS (Alps clone) switch is the closest I can think of that would fit your bill. Feels very linear with a click but also with very little tactility.

I can't think of an MX variant, maybe panda clears? Though those are on the heavy side, using MX Black/Whites.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 15 July 2015, 06:03:00 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

That is an unusual request.  Every clicky switch I've tried is tactile, and every linear switch is non-clicky.

Mind you there are lots and lots of switches I haven't tried :))
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 15 July 2015, 07:01:15 »
Welcome!

How about white switch?
But you have to find and hand pick one by one, to find the one with constant click
It's as heavy as green, click is softer than blues but sort of linear/tactile

Hard to describe, I've to buy 170 white switches to find enough for my lightsaver with constant click
Women always figure out the truth. Always. - Han Solo

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 15 July 2015, 07:17:18 »
The only thing I can think of is old Zenith boards. These used linear Alps switches and gad a built-in beeper that sounded when you pressed a key. The beep is soft enough that if you smash the keys you can't hear it.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline jbondeson

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 15 July 2015, 07:33:08 »
See now this has gone and thrown me off on a mental tangent to design a slider or click-plate that would work on a linear slider...

The click itself isn't difficult, you're simply adding to the resistance of the spring to add some potential to the click mechanism. The real interesting part is after the click. You'd only have the spring left which would lessen the force on post activation. Depending upon how light the switch is it could cause a finger sucking effect, inversely tactile if you will.

The easiest would be to use a non-mechanical click like chyros mentioned, but what's the fun in that? ;)

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 15 July 2015, 12:06:21 »
See now this has gone and thrown me off on a mental tangent to design a slider or click-plate that would work on a linear slider...

The click itself isn't difficult, you're simply adding to the resistance of the spring to add some potential to the click mechanism. The real interesting part is after the click. You'd only have the spring left which would lessen the force on post activation. Depending upon how light the switch is it could cause a finger sucking effect, inversely tactile if you will.

The easiest would be to use a non-mechanical click like chyros mentioned, but what's the fun in that? ;)
I suspect it would be very hard to have a truly linear feel on a mechanically clicky board, which is probably why no-one has bothered so far :p .

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 15 July 2015, 14:00:28 »
Buzzer. /thread

I've actually used a linear switch that kinda clicked. It was some Asian unbranded MX clone made in the 90's. There was a leaf inside, that was released by stem movement, consequently hit something else in the switch and then resonated. It felt weird and sounded hollow. I didn't notice any bump whatsoever.

Offline jbondeson

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 15 July 2015, 14:15:23 »
I've actually used a linear switch that kinda clicked. It was some Asian unbranded MX clone made in the 90's. There was a leaf inside, that was released by stem movement, consequently hit something else in the switch and then resonated. It felt weird and sounded hollow. I didn't notice any bump whatsoever.

Seems doable if you used the spring decompression to reset the mechanism. I'm surprised they did that with an MX clone though as it seems more like a solution I'd use on an alps switch.

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 15 July 2015, 14:16:05 »
I had this idea a while back. I think I would prefer linear switches with a click as they would give me that bit of feedback which feels missing from linears.

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 15 July 2015, 14:37:46 »
get to work on a design with a linear stem and a click leaf

or maybe use the barrel on the switch bottom and get some sort of plastic piece in there like the plastic clicky pens have... the motion will be linear in feel, but also contain an audible click

but this is just in theory...
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline Altis

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 15 July 2015, 17:08:16 »
The HiTek Space Invaders would be the best bet I think.

They have a switch that's referred to as "clicky", but it isn't the same as the "tactile clicky" in that you don't really feel the click, you just hear it.

In fact the linear and clicky switches are exactly the same except for a little white plastic piece that tracks in a groove along the back of the switch. You can remove the clicker piece and you have the linear switch.

The click is also pretty subtle on them. More like a "tick" midway through the press. They're also just great switches all around and very stable.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 15 July 2015, 17:50:45 »
This is quite an interesting concept. I might have to get a board with those clickey space invaders!

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 15 July 2015, 17:54:24 »
The only thing I can think of is old Zenith boards. These used linear Alps switches and gad a built-in beeper that sounded when you pressed a key. The beep is soft enough that if you smash the keys you can't hear it.

The beep on the ZKB-2 isn't a tactile response though.  If you go for a type on one of those boards with the beeper disabled, you just have a linear switch.  A damn fine linear switch, but not tactile one bit.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 15 July 2015, 17:58:16 »
The Omron B3GS (Alps clone) switch is the closest I can think of that would fit your bill. Feels very linear with a click but also with very little tactility.
Only the cyan B3G-S switches are not-very-tactile (but yeah, the OP might like them). The amber ones are extremely tactile.

Both types are pretty rare, the cyan ones especially so.

To the OP: sounds like what you really want is a linear switch and a separate clicker in the keyboard.

One other thing to consider though: maybe what you dislike is just MX blue/brown switches specifically, rather than clicky switches in general. I also recommend trying out an IBM Model F sometime, or a nice clicky Alps board.
« Last Edit: Wed, 15 July 2015, 18:07:04 by jacobolus »

Offline Altis

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 15 July 2015, 18:03:11 »
This is quite an interesting concept. I might have to get a board with those clickey space invaders!

They're really great.

I ended up losing one of the little plastic clickers while doing a thorough cleaning, so I have a linear switch. I learned that you can just take them out and put them in pretty easily, so you could mix them up as you'd like.

The nice thing is that they all still feel the same regardless of the clicker piece.

The clicker piece is a very small and light piece of plastic that follows a > shaped groove up the back of the switch plunger. As it travels up, it passes the vertex of the >, which makes a click but doesn't really take any force.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 15 July 2015, 18:07:39 »

The beep on the ZKB-2 isn't a tactile response though.  If you go for a type on one of those boards with the beeper disabled, you just have a linear switch.  A damn fine linear switch, but not tactile one bit.
Uhhh isn't that kind of the whole point? XD

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 15 July 2015, 18:07:46 »
The nice thing is that they all still feel the same regardless of the clicker piece.
That’s an exaggeration. The clicky ones are noticeably tactile, while the linear ones are very smooth.

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 15 July 2015, 18:11:00 »

Uhhh isn't that kind of the whole point? XD

I had to reread OP.  Disregard my comment.  ZKB-2 is the board for this person. 

I should really clean up the ones I have and get rid of them.

Offline Altis

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 15 July 2015, 18:22:57 »
That’s an exaggeration. The clicky ones are noticeably tactile, while the linear ones are very smooth.

I just checked both my clicky Space Invader keyboards and there is nothing like a tactile point in them. Even when pressing very very slowly, there is perhaps a faint trace of when the clicker ticks, but you'd be hard pressed to feel is even slowly. You definitely don't feel anything like a tactile switch when typing; they are effectively linear.

Perhaps the genuinely linear (often white) HiTeks are smoother in some sense, but the clicky HiTeks don't have any tactile breaking point like you do on MX Blue/Green, tactile Alps, or tactile notch like MX Brown/Clear, or tactile hump like Topre.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 15 July 2015, 19:08:21 »
It is hard for me to imagine a solution outside of a linear switch with an external beeper.

Although "tactile" and "clicky" are not exactly the same, they are very closely inter-related.

My ultimate preference would be the opposite of the OP's: a distinctly tactile switch that is not audibly "clicky"
"It turns out that for a decade, whenever Trump wanted to get a loan, or make a deal, he would inflate the value of his real estate. For instance, suggesting that his 11,000-square foot penthouse was a 30,000-square foot penthouse.
And the attorney general of New York knew that Trump's property values were inflated because when it came time to pay taxes, Trump undervalued the very same properties.
It was all part of a very sophisticated real estate practice known as “lying.”
- Jon Stewart 2024-03-28

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 15 July 2015, 19:23:00 »
I think the closest you are going to get with clickey linears would be a linear switch custom board wired up to an xwhatsit controller and then install a solenoid.  The downside to this is with the solenoid installed you can't have indicator LEDs with the current version.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline VoteForDavid

• Vote For David
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 15 July 2015, 19:54:24 »
I would be shocked if you can't find a freeware program to add a click from every keypress, which comes out the speakers of your computer.

If it HAS to come from the keyboard and you like MX Reds, put a clicker/buzzer in the keyboard. 

If it HAS to come from the switches, it sounds like you need to find some Space Invaders.
Jesus loves you.

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 15 July 2015, 20:32:36 »
If the click is not fake, the click mechanism will generally add at least some tactility.

Take the ProWorld switch for example...more or less an MX Black copy plus a click leaf. Even though the stem is a lot like an MX Black, (according to reports) it feels tactile, not linear.

(P.S. Somebody totally needs to do something similar to the ProWorld switch but using the sensing method (or something similar) from A4Tech's LK switches. Optical clicky switch FTW!).
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 15 July 2015, 21:08:27 »

They're really great.

I ended up losing one of the little plastic clickers while doing a thorough cleaning, so I have a linear switch. I learned that you can just take them out and put them in pretty easily, so you could mix them up as you'd like.

The clicker piece is a very small and light piece of plastic that follows a > shaped groove up the back of the switch plunger. As it travels up, it passes the vertex of the >, which makes a click but doesn't really take any force.

Thanks for the info. Do you know where I might look to find one? Or what I might be looking for?

Offline Altis

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 15 July 2015, 22:56:58 »

They're really great.

Thanks for the info. Do you know where I might look to find one? Or what I might be looking for?

I got both of mine on eBay. Search for "NMB keyboard" or "space invaders". Watch out that many NMB keyboards are rubber dome (and they're still be listed as "clicky" on eBay). The RT101 is a safe bet, or if there are photos that show the switch itself.

Better yet, looks like this seller has a bunch of them going for $30.

link

They really are a gem of a keyboard. I'm surprised they aren't brought up more since they're well liked by those who have them. Might even get another for myself.
« Last Edit: Wed, 15 July 2015, 23:02:07 by Altis »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 16 July 2015, 05:53:43 »
It is hard for me to imagine a solution outside of a linear switch with an external beeper.

Although "tactile" and "clicky" are not exactly the same, they are very closely inter-related.

My ultimate preference would be the opposite of the OP's: a distinctly tactile switch that is not audibly "clicky"

MX browns or clears?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 16 July 2015, 06:38:23 »

They're really great.

I got both of mine on eBay. Search for "NMB keyboard" or "space invaders". Watch out that many NMB keyboards are rubber dome (and they're still be listed as "clicky" on eBay). The RT101 is a safe bet, or if there are photos that show the switch itself.

link

They really are a gem of a keyboard. I'm surprised they aren't brought up more since they're well liked by those who have them. Might even get another for myself.

Thanks! I'll take a look.

The seller PM'd me actually, but I'm going to try to wait before buying one since I've spent quite a bit already this month =/

Offline Shaussman

« Reply #28 on: Thu, 16 July 2015, 07:53:59 »

MX browns or clears?

Browns don't really have a super tactile feeling, though.
MX Brown Quickfire XT | MX Clear WASD VP3 | MX Blue Ducky Zero

Offline jbondeson

« Reply #29 on: Thu, 16 July 2015, 08:58:03 »

link

For the record that seller is XMIT here on GH and DT. You can see his sale thread here on GH 

It's easy to tell since he has so many keyboards in his garage right now he has to code them with GUIDs!  :))

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #30 on: Thu, 16 July 2015, 09:41:24 »
For the record that seller is XMIT here on GH and DT. You can see his sale thread here on GH 

It's easy to tell since he has so many keyboards in his garage right now he has to code them with GUIDs!  :))

Thanks for linking to his thread. Saves me the trouble of finding it.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #31 on: Thu, 16 July 2015, 17:02:21 »

MX browns or clears?

True, although they have quite a big following.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #32 on: Thu, 16 July 2015, 17:13:56 »
When and if I decide to get one or more Cherry boards, jailhouse green and ergo clear are the ones that interest me.
"It turns out that for a decade, whenever Trump wanted to get a loan, or make a deal, he would inflate the value of his real estate. For instance, suggesting that his 11,000-square foot penthouse was a 30,000-square foot penthouse.
And the attorney general of New York knew that Trump's property values were inflated because when it came time to pay taxes, Trump undervalued the very same properties.
It was all part of a very sophisticated real estate practice known as “lying.”
- Jon Stewart 2024-03-28

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #33 on: Thu, 16 July 2015, 20:41:46 »

MX browns or clears?

I can't understand why. They're just so... meh.

Offline Altis

« Reply #34 on: Thu, 16 July 2015, 21:17:53 »
MX browns or clears?

Browns are widely available, more quiet than blue (not clicky), and just tactile enough to not be linear.

I'm not crazy about them, but they're easy to get and easy to live with.

It's an easy middle ground to start from, especially.

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #35 on: Thu, 16 July 2015, 21:43:17 »
MX browns or clears?

Browns are widely available, more quiet than blue (not clicky), and just tactile enough to not be linear.

I'm not crazy about them, but they're easy to get and easy to live with.

It's an easy middle ground to start from, especially.

Yea, I guess I understand that, but they're probably my least favorite switch that I've used.
I have a Minila Air with browns and I rarely use it. Tried it with different sets of caps, o-rings, still haven't been that happy with it.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #36 on: Fri, 17 July 2015, 03:02:21 »
What is happening to GH? 35 replies and nobody has mentioned using a software click as a solution like ClicKey: https://www.grc.com/freeware/clickey.htm

The other options would be a buzzer or a solenoid in the keyboard itself.

Any switch that clicks will have some slight tactile effect.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #37 on: Fri, 17 July 2015, 03:19:30 »
Yeah, that's what I figured as well, or at least I can't think of a mechanism that taps energy off for mechanical energy storage while keeping the parent mechanism fully linear before as well as after release. Everything would either have a pressure ramp before, sudden release of pressure after, or both. 

Offline Altis

« Reply #38 on: Fri, 17 July 2015, 08:01:26 »
Yeah, that's what I figured as well, or at least I can't think of a mechanism that taps energy off for mechanical energy storage while keeping the parent mechanism fully linear before as well as after release. Everything would either have a pressure ramp before, sudden release of pressure after, or both.

The exception to this that in aware of is the HiTek Space Invaders.

There's no buildup or pushing through on their "clicky" switch, unlike their "tactile" switch.

The piece that makes the click is pretty well imperceptible since it's just a tiny piece of plastic that makes a "tick" sound when it changes direction in the < shaped groove on the plunger.

You can press the key slowly enough that it doesn't make that noise, even.

Offline Shaussman

« Reply #39 on: Fri, 17 July 2015, 09:13:21 »

They're decently light, they have a bit of feeling to them (I can't stand linears because there's no tactility at all), and they're quiet. Overall pretty nice switches.

Clears are better, but browns are rather good as well.
MX Brown Quickfire XT | MX Clear WASD VP3 | MX Blue Ducky Zero

Offline jbondeson

« Reply #40 on: Fri, 17 July 2015, 09:23:25 »
What is happening to GH? 35 replies and nobody has mentioned using a software click as a solution like ClicKey: https://www.grc.com/freeware/clickey.htm

Now to be fair chyros and I were talking non-mechancial clicks in posts 4 and 5. And if you wait for the key press event to be signaled all the way into the OS and to user land, you're going to have a noticeable delay. You really need the keyboard to be signaling directly.

See, where's the fun if we just dismiss this out of hand? I've thought of all sorts of absurdly expensive ways to make clicks without tactile responses in the last day!

I'm thinking switchable magnets right now!  ;D

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #41 on: Fri, 17 July 2015, 10:52:35 »

Now to be fair chyros and I were talking non-mechancial clicks in posts 4 and 5. And if you wait for the key press event to be signaled all the way into the OS and to user land, you're going to have a noticeable delay. You really need the keyboard to be signaling directly.

See, where's the fun if we just dismiss this out of hand? I've thought of all sorts of absurdly expensive ways to make clicks without tactile responses in the last day!

I'm thinking switchable magnets right now!  ;D
Haha yeah I had thought of magnets too, but magnets are still a two-way interaction so whatever pushes the clicker will resist on the slider. I can think of many linear clicker mechanisms, but those would have a click completely dependent on the speed and force of the key push, so they'd be very silent when pushing slowly and much louder when pressed fast.

Offline jbondeson

« Reply #42 on: Fri, 17 July 2015, 11:35:45 »
Haha yeah I had thought of magnets too, but magnets are still a two-way interaction so whatever pushes the clicker will resist on the slider. I can think of many linear clicker mechanisms, but those would have a click completely dependent on the speed and force of the key push, so they'd be very silent when pushing slowly and much louder when pressed fast.

XMIT's NCR K430 post gave me an idea with electromagnets where you could use a similar effect to trigger the magnet. Resetting could be done with either mechanical resistance which the magnet overcomes (need a strong magnet), a second electromagnet (more complicated electronics), or mount the click mechanism vertically so that "off" means the clicker falls with gravity.

By the time I'm done these switches will make old hall effect's look dinky in comparison.  :))

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #43 on: Fri, 17 July 2015, 14:30:00 »

XMIT's NCR K430 post gave me an idea with electromagnets where you could use a similar effect to trigger the magnet. Resetting could be done with either mechanical resistance which the magnet overcomes (need a strong magnet), a second electromagnet (more complicated electronics), or mount the click mechanism vertically so that "off" means the clicker falls with gravity.

By the time I'm done these switches will make old hall effect's look dinky in comparison.  :))
Yeah, I guess it would have to be based on a magnetic valve system where the valve output, driving the clicker, would have to be completely separate from the slider mechanism. This way the clicker would be electrical rather than mechanical in origin, however. Good thing is that this system could even allow a clicker that ticks continuously as long as the switch held down, in theory. However, using a magnetic valve and therefore delegating the clicker to electronics rather than mechanics, you go back to square 1 and you might as well use the electrical beeper that Zenith used :p .

Offline jbondeson

« Reply #44 on: Fri, 17 July 2015, 14:57:23 »
I totally have a rationalization that goes like this: the click itself is done by the mechanical action of a piece of metal hitting something! Therefore, totally mechanical.

Ignore the man behind the curtain!  :-X