Author Topic: Unpopular Keyboard Opinions  (Read 1248926 times)

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
Re: Unpopular Keyboard Opinions
« Reply #250 on: Tue, 11 November 2014, 18:23:04 »
MX Browns are the best (MX) Switches

Offline snipars

« Reply #251 on: Tue, 11 November 2014, 19:21:07 »
Here's an unpopular opinion for y'all:  I love my WASD v2 keyboard.  The stock UV-treated ABS keycaps are not really bad at all.  I slightly prefer the thick PBT Leopold caps but the stock caps are not obviously inferior.  I believe most of the hate felt towards WASD keycaps is rooted in the previous version before the current UV treated caps.

i own and have used both types of WASD's keycaps, although i don't know which is which, the ones i bought first are a fair bit better than the newer ones, although both sets are completely rubbish 
it's neat that they offer customisation the way they do, and the keyboard itself is perfectly great, but the keycaps are just so bad that they ruin the keyboard they're on 
maybe you got lucky with yours and somehow got better keycaps, if that's at all possible
Duck Octagon + Gateron Black |HHKB Pro 2 | Poker 2 + Vintage Black + Tex case | Unicomp Ultra Classic | WASD V2 |

Offline Coreda

« Reply #252 on: Wed, 12 November 2014, 03:41:06 »
After using Cherry Reds for several months now I find when using my MacBook's keyboad it can be more satisfying to type on, and vastly more quiet.

*Gasp*

Zero fatigue with the Cherry Reds for long periods however, and I like the board in many other ways.

Offline RoflCopter4

« Reply #253 on: Thu, 13 November 2014, 12:09:38 »
I don't care about a keyboard's appearance very much at all beyond it being clean. I have some vague preferences, but I would certainly never spend a penny on anything like coloured keycaps or a fancy design. I don't understand why anyone would.
Acer KB-101A with Blue Alps | HHKB Pro 2 | '85 122 Key IBM Model F | '86 1390131 "Silver Label" Model M | AEK M0115 with Orange Alps | Focus FK-2001 White Alps | Chicony 5181 with SMK "Monterey Blue" Switches | Dell AT101W | Unicomp "Ultra Classic" | Razer Blackwidow 2013

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #254 on: Thu, 13 November 2014, 12:27:45 »
« Last Edit: Wed, 19 August 2015, 09:42:59 by esoomenona »

Offline RoflCopter4

« Reply #255 on: Thu, 13 November 2014, 12:55:51 »
I don't care about a keyboard's appearance very much at all beyond it being clean. I have some vague preferences, but I would certainly never spend a penny on anything like coloured keycaps or a fancy design. I don't understand why anyone would.

Yeah, man. Me either. How can, in a world of billions and billions of people, there be any preference or difference. I just can't fathom it.

It's not the fact that people have different preferences that confuses me, it's the reasons for this particular preference. I don't care if you prefer different things; by all means go ahead. I just will likely never share this particular one.

I thought this thread was for unpopular opinions. Must you pounce on people who dare actually voice one?
Acer KB-101A with Blue Alps | HHKB Pro 2 | '85 122 Key IBM Model F | '86 1390131 "Silver Label" Model M | AEK M0115 with Orange Alps | Focus FK-2001 White Alps | Chicony 5181 with SMK "Monterey Blue" Switches | Dell AT101W | Unicomp "Ultra Classic" | Razer Blackwidow 2013

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #256 on: Thu, 13 November 2014, 13:01:37 »
« Last Edit: Wed, 19 August 2015, 09:40:44 by esoomenona »

Offline tutuling

« Reply #257 on: Thu, 13 November 2014, 13:08:23 »
Like the 60% size, however, after using the poker for awhile, getting hard without standard arrow clusters.

Offline RoflCopter4

« Reply #258 on: Thu, 13 November 2014, 14:16:17 »
I was only ****ing with you. I don't honestly care how you feel. Either way, the words you used this time ("will likely never share") better showed what you meant than saying you didn't understand.

But haven't you heard? We're changing the title: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=65341.msg1532837#msg1532837

Fair enough, sorry for overreacting. I'll probably never wrap my head around wanting the escape key of your keyboard to be a red Darth Vader mask (surely black??) but to each his own I suppose.

That all said, I am kind of curious to know what the most unpopular keyboard opinion possible might be. I'll list a few attempts; if anyone's Jimmies are rustled just let me know I'm on the right track.
  • Why would anyone buy an expensive keyboard? They're all the same.
  • Why buy a keyboard at all? Don't you know there is one built into an iPad? PCs are dead bro.
  • Model Ms are old and ugly. I personally rounded up dozens of them and took them to be recycled and put out of their misery.
  • Your keyboard was clicking really loudly so I figured it was broken and threw it out.
  • People who think keyboards improve their gaming skills probably suck at gaming.
  • Ripster is, was, and will always be the foremost expert on all things keyboards, whose genius and devotion are rivaled only by his modesty and restraint.
That last one actually makes even me a little butthurt.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #259 on: Thu, 13 November 2014, 14:19:24 »
« Last Edit: Wed, 19 August 2015, 09:39:47 by esoomenona »

Offline whentheclouds

« Reply #260 on: Thu, 13 November 2014, 14:44:36 »
  • Why would anyone buy an expensive keyboard? They're all the same.
  • Why buy a keyboard at all? Don't you know there is one built into an iPad? PCs are dead bro.
  • Model Ms are old and ugly. I personally rounded up dozens of them and took them to be recycled and put out of their misery.
  • Your keyboard was clicking really loudly so I figured it was broken and threw it out.
  • People who think keyboards improve their gaming skills probably suck at gaming.
  • Ripster is, was, and will always be the foremost expert on all things keyboards, whose genius and devotion are rivaled only by his modesty and restraint.
nice list, almost as good as this classic "what does it take to run a GB" post: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62256.msg1513952#msg1513952[/list]

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #261 on: Thu, 13 November 2014, 16:54:09 »
This is seriously a thread of hate.

wtf

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #262 on: Thu, 13 November 2014, 16:56:45 »

wtf

At least it's contained for once...
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #263 on: Thu, 13 November 2014, 16:59:46 »
You guys know that I have to re-post this at least twice a year:

Quote from: Anonymous Coward

I feel ashamed when I see a grown up man say things like "...a sharp drop at the actuation point at around 2/3 - 3/4 way down the..."

Don't you have anything better to do with your life than yammering away on the minute details of a keyboard? I have both an M and an F that I picked up at goodwill for nothing 15 years ago and for the first time yesterday I googled about them and found 'enthusiast' (here an euphemism for retarded) websites where idiots bounce off the walls telling each other about the orgasms per second they have when using them. And 'using' is an overstatement with 90% of those morons. Most are busy opening them, cleaning the last atom of dirt off them, 'restoring' what doesn't need any restoration, 'upgrading', thinking of names for them, 'modding', taking photos, showing them off, in general jerking off about the clicky sensations and the superb accuracy of their typing and other general uber-dorkiness. What I never found there was anything useful to do with them, ie. actually program a computer.

Go type 'messenger lectures' in youtube and see what smart people look like, then kill yourself disassembling your One True Keyboard(TM) for the nth time and swallowing all the buckling springs.

And then mail one of your remaining model Fs to me.

State Freedom Caucus News 2024
Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #264 on: Thu, 13 November 2014, 17:02:21 »
Everyone needs to be a troll sometimes. It’s best if we can keep it confined to the “off topic” subforum, but sticking it all in one thread is also not too bad.

Offline mogo

• handshoes and horse grenades
« Reply #265 on: Thu, 13 November 2014, 17:39:15 »
  • I think this thread is actually pretty fun and amusing, as well as educating for a newbie like me who just wants to see honest opinions.
  • Linears feel just awful.
I'm too new and stupid to back up any other opinions I may have about keyboards.  :D

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #266 on: Thu, 13 November 2014, 18:37:52 »
There is nothing educational about this thread, it's all just the usual hateful circle jerking.

Something educational would be if there was a thread where people who like different things showed appreciation and respect for each other. All people are doing here is taking a personal bad experience with something or someone else's bad experience with something and trying to make it a majority opinion.

Example: "I'm a programmer and I think the 60% boards are stupid because it's missing keys. Therefore I conclude that ALL programmers must hate 60% boards" same examples for ergodox, to pre, colemak, 40%, backlit, the lists go on and on.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #267 on: Thu, 13 November 2014, 18:43:44 »
Kinda surprised this isn't an off topic post...
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #268 on: Thu, 13 November 2014, 19:21:07 »
Kinda surprised this isn't an off topic post...

This is a keyboard forum, and this thread is about keyboards.

Therefore:
Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Offline mogo

• handshoes and horse grenades
« Reply #269 on: Thu, 13 November 2014, 23:23:25 »
There is nothing educational about this thread, it's all just the usual hateful circle jerking.

Something educational would be if there was a thread where people who like different things showed appreciation and respect for each other. All people are doing here is taking a personal bad experience with something or someone else's bad experience with something and trying to make it a majority opinion.

Example: "I'm a programmer and I think the 60% boards are stupid because it's missing keys. Therefore I conclude that ALL programmers must hate 60% boards" same examples for ergodox, to pre, colemak, 40%, backlit, the lists go on and on.

You telling me that I'm wrong about my opinion of this thread is strangely ironic. But I do find it educational, perhaps just not about the things you think I meant. I find it educational to observe how "elder" users behave and react to others, for just one example.

Offline ArchieTect

« Reply #270 on: Thu, 13 November 2014, 23:26:24 »
I love cherry blacks, that linear feel is so smooth compared to typing with browns which is like typing on cobblestones. Don't even go to the rest of the cherrys.

HHKBs are like Louboutin
Topres are like Diesel brand

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
  • Location: Observable Universe, Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way Galaxy, Solar System, Planet Earth
« Reply #271 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 10:03:04 »
I love cherry blacks, that linear feel is so smooth compared to typing with browns which is like typing on cobblestones. Don't even go to the rest of the cherrys.

HHKBs are like Louboutin
Topres are like Diesel brand

But I really like cobblestone typing!

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #272 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 11:44:49 »
- Spirit Blue / Ice Blue is the best blue. Possibly best color ever.
- Typing on a flat board. I never use feet. Recently took off the riser on my LZ, love it even more.
- I will always pay more to avoid an acrylic custom. Mechanical keyboards are forever, but acrylic is not.
- Normal cables are sometimes just as good as custom cables. I had a white cable from Amazon that I used for the longest time and it looked just fine with my boards.
- I love LED's
- I love wearing a respirator during heavy assembly soldering/desoldering.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #273 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 11:54:29 »
- Typing on a flat board. I never use feet. Recently took off the riser on my LZ, love it even more.
- I will always pay more to avoid an acrylic custom. Mechanical keyboards are forever, but acrylic is not.
popular

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #274 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 12:08:35 »
Contoured / sculpted SA profile is better than Cherry profile (and all other common profiles) for correctly positioned and angled keyboards.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline EvilOliv3

« Reply #275 on: Mon, 17 November 2014, 05:38:43 »
lmao, is this an unpopular opinion thread or a hate thread? Most people seem to be using this as a hate ventilator.

I mean, wtf are these s***?
"Anything lighter than MX Clears or MX Blacks is for weak fingered pussies"
"Paying more for keycap(s) than the keyboard that they are on is hilarious"
"Backlit is for 12 year olds"
 "Click clacks, brobots and all those ornaments on boards look like ****.  What are you guys 12 year olds?" ...

State "I don't like such and such", don't add your bs hate into it. Otherwise, people might actually use their Mech boards as a melee weapon...haha just kidding...maybe...

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #276 on: Mon, 17 November 2014, 05:59:31 »
GTFO with your reason!

Most of this is tongue in cheek. There is a reason why all those opinions are posted here.
Some people might feel very strong about things like backlight and switch types but they realize those are personal opinions. That's why you rarely see them in normal KB conversation.

Also, non-MX-Clear is for the weak. 
« Last Edit: Mon, 17 November 2014, 06:01:11 by JaccoW »
|||Daily driver: Duck Orion TKL
|||My other keyboards :
More
|||The Original|Home|Work|Numpad|Play|Endgame|Keycaps
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets
|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #277 on: Mon, 17 November 2014, 08:19:00 »

people might actually use their Mech boards as a melee weapon...haha just kidding...maybe...

If they are Model Fs or Logic Controls. Otherwise they will be at a serious disadvantage.

Offline dusan

« Reply #278 on: Mon, 17 November 2014, 08:26:16 »
I don't like Topre's sound. But the switch construction is excellent.

I can never understand people mentioning 1.25x versus 1.5x keycap size. And I find endless debates on the font of keycap legends ridiculous.

I can't tell from my head whether my metal keycap puller came from my Filco Majestouch TKL, or whether my transparent plastic cover came from my CM Storm QF TKL, or which one of them has a detachable USB cord.

MX green is the best of MX.

MX black/red and Razer - Kailh green/orange are fully legitimate switches for office keyboards.

A standard keyboard should have a tenkey (at least an embedded one), because 99% users can touch-type numbers on it.

A standard keyboard should be ortho-linear, because 99% users are hunt-and-peckers on the alphanumeric array.
Topre Type Heaven | Filco Majestouch w/MX blue | CM Storm QF w/MX green | Asus Echelon w/MX black | Razer Tournament 2014 w/Razer green, Keychron K1 w/Gateron LP red | TypeMatrix 2030 | custom 6x16 ortho w/Matias clicky | Atreus w/Kailh box white & Gateron Pro yellow.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #279 on: Mon, 17 November 2014, 08:28:26 »

people might actually use their Mech boards as a melee weapon...haha just kidding...maybe...

If they are Model Fs or Logic Controls. Otherwise they will be at a serious disadvantage.
I beg to differ:

Offline billnye

• ability man
« Reply #280 on: Mon, 17 November 2014, 08:38:03 »
Winkey is for plebs, winkeyLESS looks sooo much better, especially with blockers

untitled-39 by photekq-gh, on Flickr

I guess this really isn't that unpopular, but the majority of people use winkey boards so maybe it kinda is unpopular? :))
« Last Edit: Mon, 17 November 2014, 08:54:44 by billnye29 »

Offline Rainbow_

• zealio master race
« Reply #281 on: Mon, 17 November 2014, 08:53:58 »
Winkey is for plebs, winkey looks sooo much better, especially with blockers

Show Image

I guess this really isn't that unpopular, but the majority of people use winkey boards so maybe it kinda is unpopular? :))

Did you mean winkeyless looks best?
Zealio Master Race

Offline billnye

• ability man
« Reply #282 on: Mon, 17 November 2014, 08:55:16 »
Winkey is for plebs, winkey looks sooo much better, especially with blockers

Show Image

Did you mean winkeyless looks best?

Haha, yea. Just making sure you're all paying attention ;)

Offline Data

« Reply #283 on: Mon, 17 November 2014, 11:17:22 »
I don't like switch "stickers".  The whole idea just bothers me.   Looks and sounds like Placebo Effect.

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #284 on: Mon, 17 November 2014, 11:18:03 »
I liked the Ducky Shine 4 knobs.
Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy

Offline billnye

• ability man
« Reply #285 on: Mon, 17 November 2014, 11:19:25 »
I don't like switch "stickers".  The whole idea just bothers me.   Looks and sounds like Placebo Effect.

Bro, the only way to type over 100 WPM is with switch stickers. Totally real.

Offline Data

« Reply #286 on: Mon, 17 November 2014, 11:24:17 »

Bro, the only way to type over 100 WPM is with switch stickers. Totally real.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #287 on: Mon, 17 November 2014, 11:28:46 »
I liked the Ducky Shine 4 knobs.

I think this is the one truly unpopular opinion in this thread.

Offline Lurch

• The only good system is a sound system.
« Reply #288 on: Mon, 17 November 2014, 11:49:38 »
 :-\
Quote from: Flyersfan1
im so glad you've stopped flipping the spacebar

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #289 on: Mon, 17 November 2014, 12:00:30 »
I have a hard time believing people spending a lot of time behind their keyboard for work would willingly opt for switches with over 50g actuation force. I have tried it, and like heavier switches for short periods of time (for home use for example it is fine). But I also tried it for work, and from my perspective, it is kind of insane.
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #290 on: Mon, 17 November 2014, 12:10:26 »
I have a hard time believing people spending a lot of time behind their keyboard for work would willingly opt for switches with over 50g actuation force. I have tried it, and like heavier switches for short periods of time (for home use for example it is fine). But I also tried it for work, and from my perspective, it is kind of insane.

65g Ergo Clears at work, wouldn't have it any other way...other than 70g Ergo Clears.

Offline RoflCopter4

« Reply #291 on: Mon, 17 November 2014, 13:28:49 »

I have a hard time believing anyone would spend money on colourful keycaps for any reason, and yet people seem to do it anyway.

Offline Tiramisuu

« Reply #292 on: Mon, 17 November 2014, 16:45:46 »
nonprogrammable primary layers and artisan keycaps both give me gas.

Ieds on keyboards make my eyes bleed

$400 for a keyboard is stupid.

Bluetooth devices and usb keyboards..  Wtf?

That's all the hate load can manage for  now.
Keyboard error F1 to continue.

Poker 2, Gherkin, Lets Split, Planck, Filco

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #293 on: Mon, 17 November 2014, 16:53:08 »
Considering all the stock Cherry MX switches (except maybe MX red) require actuation force above 50g, as do basically all other keyboard switches I can think of, outside some very low force ones used on stenography keyboards or similar, your comment basically boils down to saying that you can’t believe anyone doesn’t hand-modify every keyswitch on every keyboard.

Offline tbc

« Reply #294 on: Tue, 18 November 2014, 02:42:02 »

ergoclears?

more like 'ergo you are too weak'  amirite?
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline beefjerky

« Reply #295 on: Tue, 18 November 2014, 05:08:49 »
Most artisan caps look like someone took a blowtorch to a keycap.

Cylindrical profile is far and away better than spherical profile.

Any keyboard under 60% is useless for actual work. Even 60% handicaps unnecessarily.

I trust someone else much more than myself to put together a keyboard and thus I will almost never get a DIY kit (chickened out of the Massdrop infinity and just bought a Poker II instead)

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #296 on: Tue, 18 November 2014, 06:07:27 »
ergoclears?
more like 'ergo you are too weak'  amirite?
YES
|||Daily driver: Duck Orion TKL
|||My other keyboards :
More
|||The Original|Home|Work|Numpad|Play|Endgame|Keycaps
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets
|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline dante

« Reply #297 on: Tue, 18 November 2014, 07:51:50 »
Cherry MX is only good for Hybrid keyboards so Alps users can get some Novelty keycap love :p

Offline frosty

• jukebox hero
« Reply #298 on: Tue, 18 November 2014, 08:36:37 »
u need a spanking

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #299 on: Tue, 18 November 2014, 08:47:36 »
Alps switches are superior to Cherry switches.