Author Topic: Magicforce / Qisan 68 key Mini Keyboard with Gaote / OUTEMU blues  (Read 41263 times)

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
Note: Longer term use results further down the page.
Note: Added even Longer term results further down the page.

My new keyboard arrived today and since there doesn't seem to be much on these I figured I will do it. This is not a long term test, I'll update that section later, I just want to get initial impressions out first. I literally pulled this out of the box 5 minutes ago. No one gave this to me, I spent $39 of my own money on it. I got it from Amazon and had it in two days on standard free shipping. Not bad.

In the box
It came with a small instruction book, really small. Considering that there is no dip switches, it basically lays out what fn keys do. That's it. It also came with a  USB OTG cable for use with phones, and a keycap puller. We all know what this stuff is so let's just move on.

Magicforce Keyboard
126490-0
I didn't get the backlit version, while it would be nice, it added quite a bit of cost and I mostly wanted to test out the layout as I was working on something similar, more on this in a bit.

The keyboard is very lightweight, being small with a (painted or cheaply anodized) aluminum plate you would expect that, but it's really light, and yet very stiff as well, it feels really good. The plate appears to be pretty thick, which may be why. At any rate, I'm impressed, which says a lot when you remember I'm comparing it to a Filco with aluminum Vortex case. I'm not liking the color I got, but I planned on repainting it. I may just fill in the Magicforce logo, but it's shallow enough I may be able to grind it out. Backlit versions appear to go through the plate and get backlighting (I could be wrong on that), this does not. There are also no dip switches on this version, I was under the impression there was, but apparently that is limited to backlit versions. The backlit version allows you to disable the winkey this way.

Bottom
126492-1

Size compared to the Fico in a Vortex.
126496-2
126498-3

Fit and finish is pretty actually really good, better than some other cases I've seen and own. Considering this is made in the Leopold factory (supposedly), that's not a surprise, but I doubt you could beat the fit and finish for the money. Seriously, it looks and feels like a much more expensive board, I spent FAR more than this on my Vortex Race and this blows it out of the water. The kicker though, is this...

126494-4
Top spacebar is stock, second is Vortex, and last is a Filco. In other words, it uses a conventional spacebar, unlike Leopold. I'm not impressed with the stabilizer system, but not unimpressed either.

You can see how thick the plate is here.
126506-5

Keycaps
These have a strange feel, I'm guessing POM or PBT with standard thickness, and at first I would have sworn it was dyesub, but they are merely printed. Good printing, but stillprinted, it didn't rub off at the first sign of a fingernail touching it. While the backlitkeys may be doubleshot, the fot in terrible in my opinion. That said, they have an odd feel to them. The corners are pretty sharp. Another issue is the amount of information on them. I still have to look at some keys to find punctuation and such and on this, you sometimes have no idea what you will get if you hit shift or FN as there is no differentiation. On most keyboards the FN is a different color or printed in a different spot, not so on this.

Have a look.
126486-6

It gets worse when you get up into the high F keys, tell me this doesn't look ridiculous. And remember, almost half the keys have a modifier.
126488-7

Caps lock lit up
126500-8

Regarding the shape, they remind me a bit of the KBT Vortex profile, sharp corners and tall. They aren't actually tall, it's just has less tapering on the sides and sharp corners. If you have short nails it's not a problem but if you have more than 1/16in, you may find yourself clipping the one beyond what you aim for. I have new keycaps already waiting for it, but if you like island/chicklet keyboards, you may like them.

Looking at the pictures, you might think the Filco caps are the same, but I assure you, they are not. The Filco keys never snagged my fingernails like these and the Vortex do. The SP keys look far different and have never snagged a nail, neither have the WASD keys (not shown). That said, after an hour or so, I've noticed it's happening less and less. The same could not be said for the Vortex keys, they always had a tendency to do it. The differences may be subtle, but they are there.
Red on white are SP Red Alert 2, Middle key is Filco, left and top is Magicforce. I couldn't get the Vortex to show up well, just imagine the Magicforce, but even taller. Escpecially the upper rows.
126502-9126504-10

Layout

This is a mixed bag if there ever was one. I swear the keyboard seems smaller than it is. If I don't look, it feels normal, but as soon as I look at it, my fingers start hitting the wrong places. I have never had that happen before. I find my right hand keeps wanting to home offset one row. This is really odd since the keys and spacing is normal size. I think it's the case causing this. I'm used to feeling the Vortex case rub my hands a certain way and  I think I was using that to index my hand position. My left keeps falling off the left side and my right keeps trying to index based on the arrow key spacing, which is non-existent. It doesn't help that there is no lip at the bottom and sits lower. It all adds up to a strange feel. I can adapt to that, I just need time. I used the Vortex/Filco for over 2 years.  The bigger issue I have is the lack of home and end keys. They put page up/down, which I plan to remap but in the meantime it's driving me batty.

After remapping the home/end and taking a short break to eat, I find it's much easier to type on.

The switches...
Out of the box, their consistency was garbage, but even as I type this they are getting better. Remember, I pulled it out of the box and started writing this. So it's clearing up fast. I have blues, and they do not feel like Cherry blues.

The click sounds almost like a cross between a Model M and an unlubed Cherry Blue (it reminds me of an old typewriter), loud and very solid, but they feel more like Cherry clears. These are also supposed to have stiff springs, but they feel closer to a medium. Which was confirmed when it took 63-65grams to activate. However, it had to drop to 10-12 before it would release. Travel, is identical.

While they are not scratchy, but I wouldn't say they are as smooth as Cherry clears or blues. What they are however is loud. There is also a bit of ping if you hit them just right. On the other hand, they don't wobble nearly as much as Cherry. Lube and foam can fix ping, you can't fix wobbly.

This really shows the sound difference. However, my sounds are opposite of theirs. My Cherry blues sound more like their Outemus (keyboard in foreground) and their Outemus (keyboard in back) sound like my Cherry which are old, worn and lubed.

Wrap up
I like it, it's compact, easy to use, well made, compatible with standard keycaps, you can even get it with better switches, for $40, how can you go wrong?

After adding Cream Cheese and green, even the stock gold color is growing on me. Now I just need to rip the whole thing apart and mod the switches.
126508-11

Note: Longer term use results further down the page.

Quick Note to Linux users...

The volume macros do work.
« Last Edit: Sat, 16 April 2016, 18:45:39 by Leslieann »
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Delirious

Re: Magicforce 68 key Mini Keyboard with OUTEMU blues
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 31 January 2016, 21:14:39 »
Not trying to derail the topic at hand, but I cant help feeling sorry for the vortex case. What happened to the paint job? Not enough primer?

Offline saxophone

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 08:20:44 »
Not trying to derail the topic at hand, but I cant help feeling sorry for the vortex case. What happened to the paint job? Not enough primer?
It says "filco in a vortex" maybe it literally meant "filco that's gone through a vortex" (and taken a beating)?  :cool:

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 15:36:11 »
Thanks for the review, I´ve been wondering about this keyboard.  It seems to combine some quality aspects (the plate) with some not-so-quality aspects (the keycaps and switches).   I almost wonder how successful this layout will be, considering it seems to be marginally less wide than a TKL.  The main space saving seems to be in the lack of F-row.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 21:54:19 »

Bad paint, if you look really close in some pics, it's speckled because the can was spitting and it's been two years since I painted it.
I'm fairly hard on peripherals in general, I think I'm on my third mouse since I painted that (all top of the line Logitech).

Thanks for the review, I´ve been wondering about this keyboard.  It seems to combine some quality aspects (the plate) with some not-so-quality aspects (the keycaps and switches).   I almost wonder how successful this layout will be, considering it seems to be marginally less wide than a TKL.  The main space saving seems to be in the lack of F-row.
You're welcome.
You can get the board with Cherry, Kaihl (sp?) and Gaterons.

That bit of right side trimmed off doesn't seem like much (about 3/4in), but it's all on the right hand side and it makes a BIG difference on the desk in terms of mouse space and keyboard placement.  It's odd, it's right between TKL and 75% Race, but it looks and feels closer to the Race when being used, it makes me wonder if it's at the point where it crosses a threshold, where you get diminishing returns on size regarding arm/mouse placement and such.

I like having an F-row, but one thing I REALLY hated on my Race was the f-row, it was placed badly, I'm finding it's better to not be there than be placed badly. I think this is about as small as I can handle for daily use, it's almost perfect. I LOVE the aluminum plate, the whole thing weighs little more than my Race, but it's as stiff as a TKL (or better) with a steel plate, it would make a fantastic travel keyboard. Is it as stiff as my Vortex/Filco with thick stainless plate? No, but few are. Plus, the Filco weighs several pounds more, no joke(!), I call it the zombie protection device.

The more I use it, the less the switches matter, I would imagine if you were to only use the Outemus for a while you would be hard pressed to know they weren't Cherry, they function just fine, and in terms of blues, they actually seem more consistent and reliable. In the last batch of Cherry blues I bought, 2% didn't click and 5% were less clicky than others, all of the inconsistencies with these went away after just a few presses, as if the lube had to work in. I'm not saying these are better, but I think maybe people give Cherry too much credit or not enough to the clones. I'm not a huge fan of blues in stock form, which is the only reason I'm not that happy with these, if I can Jail them, they may prove to be better than Cherry, at least for blues and greens.

As for caps, how many boards under $150 come with nice caps? Even after you replace the caps (with or without Cherry Switches), it's still cheaper than anything comparable. It's probably the best bang for the buck mechanical on the market.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 02 February 2016, 12:43:57 »
Thanks for this, I've had my eye on the 68 key layout since seeing that $200 Varmillo one on MD. I've always loved the 660c/m layout, but the incompatibility with standard keycaps hurts. I'll definitely give this guy a shot.

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 02 February 2016, 13:01:01 »
I have been eyeing this one as well.  There is an option to order the plate/bottom case in any color combo you want and build it yourself.  No discount, but you get to put the stabilizers/switches/leds that you want.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/68-Keys-Mechanical-Keyboard-Customized-Set-PCB-Positioning-Board-Case-No-Switches-and-LED-Keycaps-included/32572470432.html?spm=2114.10010108.100010.45.c3R6ch

Or this place has it for $53 shipped:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Smart-68-USB-Mini-Mechanical-Gaming-Keyboard-Golden-Silver-Case-Outemu-MX-Blue-Black-Switches/32570230541.html?spm=2114.10010108.100009.3.u5jh5v
« Last Edit: Tue, 02 February 2016, 13:07:01 by Badwrench »
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
Re: Magicforce 68 key Mini Keyboard with Gaote / OUTEMU blues
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 02 February 2016, 16:05:54 »
You're welcome.
Seeing one of the Massdrops is how I found out about them, I saw the MD price and just started looking around, turns out, the price on there isn't really anything special.

They can also be found under the name Qisan. I'm pretty sure it's just a company relabeling them (at least the cheaper versions), as there is a Qisan UPC sticker covering the UPC code on the box sleeve on mine. Which is the only place on the box that says Qisan, everywhere else is Magicforce.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Kirfloof

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 05:29:00 »
I picked up this board from the 1st MD drop in gateron clears, a few things I can think to add off the top of my head;

Certainly decent for the price, though I feel the lightness lends a cheap feeling to it. The chrome/silver finish and white reminds me a lot of 'faux leather' era Samsung.

I felt mine had a slight 'curve' to it, and checking with a ruler there's a definite droop to the front corners, it's just enough to give a slight feeling of unease, like you're not quite sure if it's straight or not.

The only real issue I found is the LED's sit high, on the upper side of the switches, so SA caps don't fit properly. The inner legend 'shelf' stops them being seated fully, so they need filing down.

I'll just be sticking Tai Hao oem's on mine though.

Offline Shaussman

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 04 February 2016, 15:19:52 »
Thanks for the review, this just makes me kind of want one even more. It's nice to hear that it's actually a good quality board even though it's so cheap. I'm curious, though, where do you live that you can get it for $39 on amazon? I've been planning on picking one up off of Aliexpress/Taobao but if it was on Amazon that'd be way better since it'd be so much faster
MX Brown Quickfire XT | MX Clear WASD VP3 | MX Blue Ducky Zero

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 04:57:52 »
Thanks for the review, this just makes me kind of want one even more. It's nice to hear that it's actually a good quality board even though it's so cheap. I'm curious, though, where do you live that you can get it for $39 on amazon? I've been planning on picking one up off of Aliexpress/Taobao but if it was on Amazon that'd be way better since it'd be so much faster
Here is a link to the one I bought.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ABUJ0FY?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Amazon has other models, search for magicforce or Qisan
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Shaussman

Re: Magicforce / Qisan 68 key Mini Keyboard with Gaote / OUTEMU blues
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 07:39:01 »
Cool, thank you very much

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 19:24:16 »
Yea, I can't say that I care for the F-row that much, after using many 60% keyboards and IBM XTs and the Apple/Mac macros keys, which do not utilize the F-keys.

Offline studentben

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 16:50:14 »
I wonder how easy it would be to tear down and swap out the switches.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 18:21:08 »
Construction is common, ignoring the lack of a top cover, and since they offer it with Cherry switches, there's no reason to think they cannot be swapped in. Keep in mind, you will need to desolder every switch to open them.

However, I'm planning on opening it shortly and seeing how compatible everything is and will take lots of photos.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 18:33:47 »
Construction is common, ignoring the lack of a top cover, and since they offer it with Cherry switches, there's no reason to think they cannot be swapped in. Keep in mind, you will need to desolder every switch to open them.

However, I'm planning on opening it shortly and seeing how compatible everything is and will take lots of photos.

I am curious if it uses the same pcb as the backlit model.  I would rather get this, swap the switches, and put in my own leds. 
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 00:11:18 »

I am curious if it uses the same pcb as the backlit model.  I would rather get this, swap the switches, and put in my own leds.
That's something I intend to find out.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Shaussman

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 12:43:06 »
According to some discussion on reddit you should be able to add LEDs and resistors to the non-backlit model and have it work

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 11 February 2016, 17:26:15 »
Resistors and leds are on the way.

I ordered white, but I plan on making some red color changers that also block off light going through the key caps themselves (red sides, black top), so it should give off a nice red glow under the keys.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 11 February 2016, 22:07:25 »
Longer term report and more info on these switches.

Case: There are 6 screws on the housing, 4 under pads, one under the CE sticker and one under a blank circle.
127933-0

PCB:
There is no provisions for dip switches. While everything for LEDs seems to be there, there are no traces or mounds for the dip switches. It looks like there is single dip switch marking, but it's not used and I have no idea what it's for.
127935-1

Switch Housing:
They are NOT entirely Cherry MX compatible. They can be soldered into the same pcb, they look the same, feel similar, however, the housing, tops and stems are NOT compatible with each other.

Putting a Cherry MX blue into the Outemu housing resulted in very little or no tactility. I'm not sure it even activated. Putting the Outemu into the Cherry switch made it a bit more tactile, however I would worry that long term it could result in a damaged housing.

The housings will also not work in a universal board with cutouts for opening. They physically will fit, however, depending on design of the cutouts, you most likely will not be able to release the top. Cherry uses two small tabs, these use a long tab grabbing two small tabs. If your plate is close on the sides at all, odds are you will not be able to remove the top. If it only grabs the top and bottom, it will probably work. Luckily some of the newer universals are heading this way.

Feel
This actually surprised me, what a strange switch and I love them because of it.

Actuation seems to be a bit higher smoother than Cherry Blues. They have a very crisp feel that I haven't seen in Cherry, almost like a buckling spring, Cherry actually feels mushy by comparison. Another thing I've noticed is a lack of hysteresis, the actuation and release points are almost identical. You could describe them as crispy Clears with a higher actuation point but, and it took me a while to figure this out, you could also say they feel closer to BS or Alps. Not exact, but they don't seem like Cherry switches either.

When used for Jailhouse blues, they feel VERY close to a scissor switch, ramping up immediately, unlike Cherry which still has a small bit of travel. Based on measurements, they actuate about .1-.2 mm higher than Cherry based JBs. After actuation, they obviously have more travel, but initial feel, when unlubed was very close to an older Lenovo laptop in terms of feel. If you want scissor switches, add some o-rings under the cap and you're there.

I'm leaving these stock, I like them that much.
It's like having a softer buckling spring in a nicer format.
« Last Edit: Thu, 11 February 2016, 22:19:21 by Leslieann »
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 21:11:37 »
Interesting conclusion about the compatibility with Cherry switches and cutouts.  That seems to limit the modular options.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 01:26:47 »
Interesting conclusion about the compatibility with Cherry switches and cutouts.  That seems to limit the modular options.
Yeah, it surprised me when I found that.

Not a big deal if you leave your switches stock or know what you want done with them. I doubt many people really open them, and certainly not often.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #22 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 07:05:12 »
Yeah, it surprised me when I found that.

Not a big deal if you leave your switches stock or know what you want done with them. I doubt many people really open them, and certainly not often.

Yea, I sometimes forget the DIY crowd is much smaller than the crowd that likes to buy things and not completely take them apart.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 23:47:54 »
I got my leds and resistors, but before I started soldering I decided to check traces and see if there was power. I should have done this sooner.

Nope.
There is not only no power to the LEDs, but even the ground is interrupted. There is a lot of resistors marked on the board that aren't there. It's possible they need a macro to turn on, so I tried the one used on the lighted version, but that did nothing.

I'll have to play with it a bit more, I'm not going to go through all that hassle of soldering all of that only to find it doesn't work. I may just do one set for testing first.

More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 19 February 2016, 19:11:34 »
Update:
Turns out the batteries in my voltmeter were dead. there is 5volts going to at least some LED sockets, I didn't test but a few, but there is voltage.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 19 February 2016, 23:30:05 »
First lights added:

How to is here.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #26 on: Sat, 12 March 2016, 19:05:03 »
Quick Note to Linux users...
The volume macros do work, however, the Home/End keys are seen as Page Up/Page Down, which is extremely annoying until I can remap them.

Oops, I forgot I had remapped them in windows.
« Last Edit: Sat, 12 March 2016, 19:19:16 by Leslieann »
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #27 on: Sat, 16 April 2016, 19:40:51 »
So it's been about two and a half months with this keyboard, I figured it was time for another update.

The keyboard..
It's held up fantastically, I can't speak for the caps, I ditched them the day I got it, but the bones are really a treat.  Bang for the buck, this is hands down the best value on the market, regardless of switch you chose. It works with standard caps and is incredibly well made. Also for those who travel with their keyboards, it also very compact and light weight. Unlike many lightweights it has a plate, but this one is aluminum, so you get the stiffness without the weight.  I had panned to remove the anodizing and grind out the logo, but it's actually so well done and unintrusive, I hate to mess with it (it's also pretty deep).

The switches..
These have changed, A LOT. Keep in mind, I use my keyboard a lot, the level of wear I put on this is probably four times what a normal person would do. These are a STRANGE switch, and I mean that. While before they were a cross between BS (Buckling spring) and Cherry blues (which was awesome!), they have settled into something closer to a cross between Blues and Clears, which would be great if it had used the right parts from each switch. It's a mixed bag and not exactly a good one, at least for me. Still good, just a bummer it changed from something great to meh.

They have a slightly shorter stroke like clears (good) and you can kind of double tap riding the bump like Clears (also good), but it's just inconsistent enough due to being constructed like Blues (bad) that you can't rely on it. They are also noisy like Blues (I was willing to put up with it for the feel) and the springs are also in the middle (I prefer lighter but you can adjust to springs). Tactility is like Blues, crispy (great!), but they also have a bit of scratchiness to them like browns, as in not as smooth (damn).

As much of a bummer as that is for me personally, preferences being as they are, remember, I only paid only $40 for this (with shipping) and for about $20 or $30 more you can get these with Cherry switches and even backlit.  I HATE items you have to justify with "for the money...", and while you could say that about this board,  you shouldn't because it would still be a good mechanical at double the price, and with Cherry switches it's even better. I don't regret buying this one bit, and even though I was expecting Cherrys (my mistake) I'm still not disappointed, it's that good.

So what does it's future hold? I'm really not sure.
I started adding backlights but quit, I made a few into Jailhouse Blues (JB) them but found I liked the BS feel at the time. Now that they wore in, I'm tempted to JB them again, but I'm also considering ordering another with lights and Gaterons, and just relegating this to being a spare.  I also still miss my F keys on occasion but I love the layout otherwise. I also have the "Almost a Filco" sitting under the desk not being used and considering what I spent on that (time and money) I hate seeing it just sit there (it's also VERY quiet), but then so is my Race (which I paid entirely too much for), my IBMs and my Daz.  I also have a GH60 coming... Do I really need ANOTHER keyboard when I already have 4 mechanicals within arms reach (and more out of reach)?

I know Gonz had a layout similar to this, and we do have our laser cutter up and running, I have a friend with a mill, and I have a 3d printer I could use to print or print molds to make my own case... So, frankly, I don't know where this is going. Don't be surprised if I just get another Magicforce though, it's just a few clicks, it's ready to go, and it's already made, it's very tempting. I'm also curious to try Gateron based Jailhouse Blues.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline carmenohio

« Reply #28 on: Thu, 21 April 2016, 16:27:25 »
It really sucks to hear the update on the OTEMU blues.  Still, at that price I guess you can't complain or expect too much.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #29 on: Thu, 21 April 2016, 18:46:56 »
It really sucks to hear the update on the OTEMU blues.  Still, at that price I guess you can't complain or expect too much.

Hmm, I guess that came off quite negative.

Yes, it's a bummer it went from BS to standard Cherry and my attempt to describe the switch made it sound bad. It's not, not by a long shot. My disappointment was the fact that they no longer feel like BS, which was really awesome to experience.

Having spent a few really days considering my options, using my Daz (browns), Almost-a Filco with JB's and even my Ergo Clear Race, I have to say, these are one of the best Cherry MX compatible switches I've used for typing.

In fact, for typing I will take these over ANY Cherry branded switch, it feels better than every stock switch and even modded Cherry Switch I've used (even my beloved JBs). Yes, they are a tad scratchy compared to Cherry linears, but to me, even lubed Ergo Clears have a bit of scratch, which is what these are closer to in terms of scratchiness (browns were a bad example). The only switch from Cherry I have used that came close in terms of crispness and typing feel is the hand picked Cherry Blues that came on the original Black Widow (that was the one thing Razer really did get right on that keyboard), otherwise these are better than any other Cherry switch in my opinion (linears are not my thing). Keep in mind, I havn't tried other Cherry MX clones, but against the real thing, I'll take these (unless I buy another Razer to cannibalize). I just miss the BS feel.

So...
If you want a fantastic Cherry Mx Blue keyboard, for cheap.. Get this! You won't be disappointed. Ok, you will, once it settles and you long for that sweet, sweet BS feel it had when you started, but it will still be awesome.

And no, you don't have to preface it with "for the price",  this board needs no apology or qualifier.
« Last Edit: Thu, 21 April 2016, 18:48:44 by Leslieann »
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More