Author Topic: Keycap Manufacturing Questions  (Read 2232 times)

Offline peepeepants

Keycap Manufacturing Questions
« on: Sat, 02 May 2020, 19:52:59 »
Hello my keyboard people.
I have been entertaining the thought of going all in on some keycap maunfacturing. Is there significant interest in a smaller quality keycap manufacturers?

Specifically, I have been looking into the process of doubleshot injection molding, to compete with the big boys GMK and Sig Plastics.

If I was able to get my hands on some test equipment and produce some blank caps as a test run, what profile would you all like to see?

If you have some time, here is a quick survey   https://forms.gle/oudTHBqZ73v69bZUA

Mainly want to start a conversation about the topic to see everyone's thoughts before I sink some time and money into this.

Thanks Everyone!

Offline Zustiur

Re: Keycap Manufacturing Questions
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 18:47:26 »
I didn't feel like I had clear answers to the questions in your survey. What I want to see is OEM profile keys of every row and width combination. For example, R2 1.5U.
Most key cap manufacturers only provide the combinations you'd find on a standard keyboard. There are enough non standard keyboard around now that more options should be made available.

For my current build I need 1.5u on every row but can't find them so I'm having to compromise.